Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2015, 18:01   #9796
RGK
Senior - BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

My car has done 42k (5th year running). While coming back to Chennai from my native on 18th, the gear cable came off due to worn out rubber bush. Car stuck in 5th gear. I parked slowly under a shade. Called Rajshree Ford, and the technician explained to fix it temporarily. Removed the black box cover just below the battery and tied the cable to the gear shift rod with a plastic rope and drove till Rockcity Ford, Trichy. Bush was replaced in 10 minutes. Spare cost - 525/-, Labour - 275/-. Ford should bring all these rubber consumables under preventive maintenance checkup. These kind of intermittent issues expose the reliability of Ford products.
Rajshree ford (Coimbatore, Tirupur and Erode) has 24 hour mobile helpline and attend break downs even on holidays. Rockcity Ford (Trichy) do not have this facility but they work on holidays and one have to take the car there.
RGK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 09:46   #9797
BHPian

I agree with you that this should be checked during service. But impressed that the helpline works!!! I had a very negative impression of all ford asc esp Rajshree. My figo is now at 62K - touchwood all well so far.

I know we have fiesta running at 150K+, but curious to get a sense from this large population of figo users on what is a good time to sell the figo I.e. at what point does the maintaince start increasing significantly or resale value hits the floor?

100K is my personal milestone to sell.
Old 21st January 2015, 15:18   #9798
BHPian

I've got a query regarding the disc brake pads changing interval. I do not remember any specific mention about it in the manual; hence the query.

I drive a 52K km run Figo TDCi Titanium. I had both disc brake pads changed at around 27K km service (I had advanced the 30K km service because of a trip). But that was more of preventive measure as I didn't specifically observe/complain anything and they were changed only as per service adviser recommendation.

However, at 50K service, no such recommendation came and pads were not changed. Now at 52K km, I am hearing weird hardness/screechiness/shudder while applying brakes even slightly hard (behavior is normal when I gently press the pedal). Also, it seems the ABS has started triggering a little early.

Is this a sign of brake pad wear-out? Should I get the car checked at Ford A.S.S.? Will it cause any damage to the discs if I run the car like this for long?

Please advise.

Thanks.
Old 22nd January 2015, 16:06   #9799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishikeshK View Post
I've got a query regarding the disc brake pads changing interval. I do not remember any specific mention about it in the manual; hence the query.

I drive a 52K km run Figo TDCi Titanium. I had both disc brake pads changed at around 27K km service (I had advanced the 30K km service because of a trip). But that was more of preventive measure as I didn't specifically observe/complain anything and they were changed only as per service adviser recommendation.

However, at 50K service, no such recommendation came and pads were not changed. Now at 52K km, I am hearing weird hardness/screechiness/shudder while applying brakes even slightly hard (behavior is normal when I gently press the pedal). Also, it seems the ABS has started triggering a little early.

Is this a sign of brake pad wear-out? Should I get the car checked at Ford A.S.S.? Will it cause any damage to the discs if I run the car like this for long?

Please advise.

Thanks.
Going by the kms when the first set was replaced, it is time again to change it. But then again, we cannot believe the ASC as they just need to sell parts and the first set change as well probably was not required.
If there is brake shudder and noise on every braking action, it is better to get it inspected since they will say next the discs needs to be replaced.

The ASC had asked me to change the discs when my car had run just 25k kms to which I gave them a mouthful. The car is now 36k kms old with no disc or pad replacements and no scrubbing noise or low braking.

I will be changing only the pads before the next service as a preventive measure since 36k kms is old for the pads.

Last edited by tharian : 22nd January 2015 at 16:07.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 16:20   #9800
BHPian

Hello all,
I have a 40k driven Figo Diesel titanium with ABS. I am actually facing this peculiar shudder and noise (even steering shudders) while braking from ~70+km/hr speed. This is not actually noticed normally when driving sedately and actually happens at higher speed.
I have not been able to replicate the same with the service advisor and he says everything is well and fine. wonder what is the case here.

Thanks & Regards,
Jk
Old 22nd January 2015, 17:33   #9801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohing View Post
I had a very negative impression of all ford asc esp Rajshree.
Me too! Especially during the ikon days. Now they are better- reception, quick service and break down service experiences are getting better.

Even the customer lounge is good now.
Quote:
I know we have fiesta running at 150K+, but curious to get a sense from this large population of figo users on what is a good time to sell the figo I.e. at what point does the maintaince start increasing significantly or resale value hits the floor?

100K is my personal milestone to sell.
Probably your fiesta should be a BS3 one- which is a better(read:longer life) motor than the BS4 unit in the Figos and the Classic.

A neighbor put his 100k Ikon tdci(BS3) in the classifieds and he got not so satisfactory offers. Dejected, he said he will cover another 100k and sell it for peanuts rather than sell it now for nearly peanuts. He has covered 40k more without any additional expenses.

With the Figo, it all boils down to the time when you have to replace the timing belt+clutch+suspension struts. Sell it before that or you have to keep it longer.

Q2 2015 is the time of launch of new Figo. By then, the used car brokers will have such a wide grin when seeing a Figo coming for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayakumarkp View Post
even steering shudders while braking from ~70+km/hr speed.
Jk
This has to be the disc - uneven wear on the disc causes this and Service centre solution is to replace the discs.
Old 25th January 2015, 18:39   #9802
BHPian

I am having serious doubts regarding the honesty of Ford service advisors. I sent my Figo tdi exi run 51k for rectification of sudden loss of AC cooling (transient ) twice in a day.
I asked them to specifically look at the condenser fan. I was informed that the terminal was changed in the condenser fan and charged a trivial amount.

I was also informed that the pulley and timing belt would have to be changed pretty soon as they found a little squeaky noise from it.

I am pretty sure no engine would require changing the timing belt at just 50k.
Old 25th January 2015, 23:46   #9803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
I am pretty sure no engine would require changing the timing belt at just 50k.
It is not the timing belt. It is the accessory belt that runs the power steering and the alternator. Changing at 50k is recommended, as per conventions(not given in the manual though).

PS:Timing belt doesn't squeak. It just snaps some day silently.
Old 26th January 2015, 00:13   #9804
BHPian

Hi guys, I am in the market to buy a pre owned figo diesel....based upon common problems what things need to be specially checked?
Old 26th January 2015, 03:07   #9805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
It is the accessory belt that runs the power steering and the alternator. Changing at 50k is recommended, as per conventions
Oh ! But does that mean the pulley has to be changed too? I was told that the belt and pulley together would cost about 7k ! (My previous car was a Swift Vdi and for the 5 years and 100 k run I had it, haven't come across any engine or drivetrain related bill above 3k!)
Old 26th January 2015, 06:47   #9806
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
Oh ! But does that mean the pulley has to be changed too?
The dampener pulley is something that has rubber between metals to isolate vibration, so it costs a damn 4k or so. But if it is worn, it gives a nice metallic rattling sound.

If it is a squeak, then it is probably the belt alone, the replacement of which should cost <1500. Ford is now doing a full set replacement at 50k mileage, so if car is out of warranty, then it is your choice to choose what to replace and not.
Old 26th January 2015, 07:36   #9807
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Ford is now doing a full set replacement at 50k mileage, so if car is out of warranty, then it is your choice to choose what to replace and not.
Thanks a lot for the info! I bought this in may 2012 and actually was given free 3rd year warranty . I'll have it done soon under warranty.
Old 26th January 2015, 11:29   #9808
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 27th January 2015 at 13:39.
abkett is offline   Received Infraction
Old 26th January 2015, 17:29   #9809
Senior - BHPian

@sunsetorange: the accessory belt and 4 pulleys came as a set. I was quoted 18k for it including labour.
Old 26th January 2015, 18:34   #9810
BHPian

Does it make sense to buy the 2 year extended warranty for 13k? Car is a 9 month old TDCi with 16k on the ODO. Carries the default 2 years warranty. Estimated usage of around 25k kms per year.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks