Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2014, 14:58   #9661
BHPian

As I had reported earlier, I had been getting intermittent engine check light in my Ford figo titanium. I tried to read the error code via obd2, but it showed no error codes. Finally today, the clutch gave up and became lifeless. Got the vehicle towed to my fng. Will know the work required and the damage to the pocket tomorrow.

While it affected my plans for today, I am relived that (hopefully) finally the issue is in the open and once it is fixed, the check engine light will also be history.
Old 2nd November 2014, 22:08   #9662
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
As I had reported earlier, I had been getting intermittent engine check light in my Ford figo titanium. I tried to read the error code via obd2, but it showed no error codes. Finally today, the clutch gave up and became lifeless. Got the vehicle towed to my fng. Will know the work required and the damage to the pocket tomorrow.

While it affected my plans for today, I am relived that (hopefully) finally the issue is in the open and once it is fixed, the check engine light will also be history.
I all likely-hood, you will find the two issues to be unrelated. Can't think of any sensor related to clutch causing a check engine light, in-fact there are no sensors present there. If there was any, a worn out clutch would give a check engine light but it does not as there is no sensor measuring clutch wear or other clutch related faults!
Old 2nd November 2014, 22:21   #9663
Senior - BHPian

@civic-dk---which light are you referring to? Is it the 'engine malfunction' light or the 'engine/ drive train' warning light? The latter shows a '!' symbol enclosed by a circle.

If it is the latter, this seems common to most petrol Fords. I've been getting it on and off for the past 3 years only in winter months during early morning starts. My LTO thread on the Fiesta has details of it. But whenever this comes up, I simply shut off the engine and start it again, and it vanishes.

Experts have commented that the light comes up due to some muck that has accumulated on the throttle body. Ford A.S.S invariably will ask you to shell out 8 K to change it, which is not worthwhile. There is a thread on this forum by Jerry_can on how to clean it, but I've not attempted that yet, as I am yet to find a dependable FNG to try it out.
Old 2nd November 2014, 22:43   #9664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
tdci engine users, any opinion about the color? The engine seems happy with this lubricant.
3000 km later, the engine is so quiet than it ever was. Certainly this oil is good.
Old 2nd November 2014, 22:56   #9665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
I all likely-hood, you will find the two issues to be unrelated. Can't think of any sensor related to clutch causing a check engine light, in-fact there are no sensors present there. If there was any, a worn out clutch would give a check engine light but it does not as there is no sensor measuring clutch wear or other clutch related faults!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
@civic-dk---which light are you referring to? Is it the 'engine malfunction' light or the 'engine/ drive train' warning light? The latter shows a '!' symbol enclosed by a circle.

If it is the latter, this seems common to most petrol Fords. I've been getting it on and off for the past 3 years only in winter months during early morning starts. My LTO thread on the Fiesta has details of it. But whenever this comes up, I simply shut off the engine and start it again, and it vanishes.

Experts have commented that the light comes up due to some muck that has accumulated on the throttle body. Ford A.S.S invariably will ask you to shell out 8 K to change it, which is not worthwhile. There is a thread on this forum by Jerry_can on how to clean it, but I've not attempted that yet, as I am yet to find a dependable FNG to try it out.
@Amit, you may be right, but I noticed that the engine check warning light was continuously on after the clutch failed, so in some way they do seem related. Anyways, I will need to monitor the behavior after the clutch repair.

@vnabhi, I knew of only one engine malfunction light in Figo (the one which shows a '!' symbol enclosed by a circle). The Ford Figo manual also talks of only one engine check warning light as shown in the attached picture.

Thanks for the input on throttle body. If the issue persists after the clutch repair, I will prefer to get throttle body replaced. Can't live with engine malfunction light coming on and changing the vehicle from a car to a bullock cart. If it happens in the middle of ORR, god only knows what possible consequences can be. Especially considering the fact that it is mostly used by my wife.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-figo-engine-check-warning-light.jpg  

civic-dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2014, 23:08   #9666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
@Amit, you may be right, but I noticed that the engine check warning light was continuously on after the clutch failed, so in some way they do seem related. Anyways, I will need to monitor the behavior after the clutch repair.

@vnabhi, I knew of only one engine malfunction light in Figo (the one which shows a '!' symbol enclosed by a circle). The Ford Figo manual also talks of only one engine check warning light as shown in the attached picture.

Thanks for the input on throttle body. If the issue persists after the clutch repair, I will prefer to get throttle body replaced. Can't live with engine malfunction light coming on and changing the vehicle from a car to a bullock cart. If it happens in the middle of ORR, god only knows what possible consequences can be. Especially considering the fact that it is mostly used by my wife.
Unless it comes on during regular running (in most cases including mine it comes on only during early morning starts in winter months), I don't think it is worth replacing. Try switching off and then on again. I'm sure it will vanish. But if it is coming on during driving, then you'd better go for it.
Old 3rd November 2014, 11:19   #9667
BHPian

Guys, gave my Figo for the 40K service earlier in the day. No complaints as such, but told the SA about a noise from the engine bay. Its not too loud but sounds like an irregular vibration.

SA confirmed the timing belt needs to be checked. Just wanted to know if the timing belt has to be replaced, will be covered under warranty, the TDCI has done 39020 kms. The SA has stated that it may not be covered under warranty & would cost 7.5k. Pls advise.
Old 3rd November 2014, 13:28   #9668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkat_Figo View Post
Guys, gave my Figo for the 40K service earlier in the day. No complaints as such, but told the SA about a noise from the engine bay. Its not too loud but sounds like an irregular vibration.

SA confirmed the timing belt needs to be checked. Just wanted to know if the timing belt has to be replaced, will be covered under warranty, the TDCI has done 39020 kms. The SA has stated that it may not be covered under warranty & would cost 7.5k. Pls advise.
Timing belt and related components are supposed to be changed at 120k km's or 5 years. If it fails prematurely, it certainly needs to be in warranty. Show the attached document to SA as it clearly says timing belt is covered in extended warranty so it has to be covered in normal warranty for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-extended-warranty-conditions.jpg  

Last edited by amit1234singla : 3rd November 2014 at 13:29. Reason: Typo
amit1234singla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 14:41   #9669
BHPian

I feel so at peace looking at Swift's NCAP test results. When I bought Figo 2 years back, Swift was a major contender. But after I test drove Figo, there was no coming back. Figo is bashed for dated looks, no rear power windows, lack of equipments etc.
But I buy a car for its driving dynamics and how well it connects road with the driver. And Figo's steering, handling blew every other car in the race on this aspect.

Figo is not a tin can either. The "thud" is reassuring my decision each time!
Old 4th November 2014, 15:39   #9670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
Figo is not a tin can either. The "thud" is reassuring my decision each time!
The major thing with Figo is that the structure did not collapse in the crash test.
I was very close to booking a Swift ZXi. This result couldn't have come at a better time. Dropping 7.4L on a 'premium' car with 'safety kits' only to come to know that it does not even have a stable structure would have given me a heart attack.

With this, the Figo starts to look even more VFM. I guess Figo Titanium is the cheapest 'safe' car and is one of the only few <10L in India.
Old 7th November 2014, 13:17   #9671
BHPian

Yes even i was looking at a car for occasional highway drives and so decided to opt for a diesel variant. After comparing various hatchbacks, I made safety as the prime criteria to shortlist the car and finally zeroed in on the Ford Figo, TDCI Titanium for the VFM features. I do agree that there are some limitations like the lack of rear power window. But after using the car for past 4 months, I prefer to keep all the windows closed with A/c on in both city (due to dust) as well as highways (due to the safety). Only need to open the front windows when asking for directions or pay toll/parking fees.
Old 7th November 2014, 21:14   #9672
BHPian

Hi,

My Figo TDCi is showing MIL (malfunction indicator lamp) in the dashboard today. The car is idle for most part of the last two months. I have last used the car three weeks back for about 100 KMs. My son starts the car once in a week and keep the car in idle more for the about 10 min. Today when i started the car and took for a drive, i saw the MIL lamp glowing. I am planning to take the car tomorrow to service station to check.

My car is going to be idle for next couple of months. I am out of station for a project work and will come once in a month. So it will be driven for about 100 KM once in a month for three days. Rest of the time my son will start / idle once a week for about 10 min. Will that be fine, or will it lead to any problem? My car is 3 years and 4 months old now and done 55K KMs. The battery will be close to the end of life now. Will it be advisable or helpful to replace new battery in this situation?

Also, please let me know any other tips / suggestion which i can use for next couple of months when the car is not going to be used regularly.
Old 7th November 2014, 22:07   #9673
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
My Figo TDCi is showing MIL (malfunction indicator lamp) in the dashboard today. The car is idle for most part of the last two months.
specifically ask the SA to check for rat bite damage, before he does anything else, once you take the car (ASAP) to the FASS centre.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2014, 22:21   #9674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
specifically ask the SA to check for rat bite damage, before he does anything else, once you take the car (ASAP) to the FASS centre.
Thanks. Went to the service station today. There is no sign of rat bite. After checking SA told there were some error codes which caused the MIL indicator. As per him it could have been the result of low battery. Changed the battery outside. Drove around 50 KMs today and no issue so far.
Old 9th November 2014, 01:42   #9675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
What should I do with my parent's 2010 Ford Figo showing excessive paint bubbling chipping and rusting on the rear doors?
Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post
Instead of following the dealer, do write to Ford India. I'm sure they will definitively look into the matter. I personally had a good experience with the company(not the dealers) so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pisthpeeps View Post
My 2012 Figo(Red) has rust in the same spot. My warranty is over. Checked with local workshop and he says Rs.1800. Ford ASS says approx Rs.4000. Can i go ahead with local workshop? Will the finish be good? He is close to my house and runs the pretty crowded all brand bodyshop. But dont remember seeing any Figo there. The Figo red is same as i10 red?
Goodness gracious!
The Ford team has responded by diverting the email to the service center and the service center is now maintaining that paintwork does not carry any warranty anyhow.

Does anyone have the email IDs of the bosses of the buffoons manning the customer service?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks