Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2015, 22:25   #9901
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
My car battery is showing its age, currently it is 2.7yrs old. There is a few sec delay in cranking the engine during early morning starts and works fine throughout the day. I haven`t added any extra electrical accessories apart from standard fitments which came with car. Since my car is due for 4th service this Friday I will get the cranking voltage and alternator charging voltage checked.

However I am looking at opinions from experts on below pointers.
* I know that many bhpians reported battery entering dying state within 3 yrs of ownership. If indeed I need to change my battery then is it better to stick with Ford motorcraft battery or you have any other brand which you recommend.
* Upon browsing, I found http://www.batterywale.com listed amaron AAM-FL-545106036 at Rs 4069 on exchange with old battery. I am not aware if this includes installation charges as well. This comes with standard 2 yrs warranty, do you think this is a fair deal.
I have changed the batteries in 3.5 years (50K KM) couple of months back. I went for Amaron outside Ford and it costed me 4K with old battery exchange. Ford dealer battery cost with similar warranty will cost more than 1000 extra.

I have done the regular service (55K KM) last week and the total cost came to 6800/-. There is no extra work done, other than the regular oil, filters change.
r_devakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2015, 23:00   #9902
BHPian

I am told that the newer cars ( As to - the ones from Maruti 800 days) come with alternator which is capable of charging the battery at idle. The cars that came with dynamo needed the engine to the revved for charging. i remeber old school mechanics used to take Ambys up a slope to get the battery charged.

I agree with @vnabhi on the turbo charger part. If you read the ford 1.4 TDCi manual, there is a line asking you not to switch the engine off when the turbo is running; it says turbo should never be run dry. And from what I have observed, the turbo kicks in at 1250 rpm. (This might be a point of contention)

@DragonHawk - For my Fiesta, i have noticed this delay during the past 3 months. The first crank, there is a delay. Had it checked during the last service; i got a green for the battery in their inspection report. You should have an option to check the battery voltage in the "hidden" menu.

Details here incase you need it.

Last edited by glenmz : 19th March 2015 at 23:20.
glenmz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2015, 23:14   #9903
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Pardon me, but aren't you messing with your turbocharger? There is another thread on practising idling on turbo-charged cars that you should refer to.

To cut a long story short, you may be helping your battery, but damaging your turbo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
I agree with @vnabhi on the turbo charger part. If you read the ford 1.4 TDCi manual, there is a line asking you not to switch the engine off when the turbo is running; it says turbo should never be run dry. And from what I have observed, the turbo kicks in at 1250 rpm. (This might be a point of contention)
No vnabhi. I don't switch off immediately after revving. Will leave the engine at idle speed so that the turbo stops completely (Oil circulates inside the turbo as the engine is running at base rpm). Meanwhile I check all the windows, take my bag, personal things and get down. Shutting the engine is my last activity.

Sometimes I close my apartment gate and come back to switch off the engine and take the key. I think I give ample time for the turbo to come down.

PS: Idling engine speed is around 900 rpm and the turbo kicks in around 1600 rpm.
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 06:28   #9904
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the new Figo will have an AT version according to this report on Zigwheels. Trouble is will it be as much in short supply for the domestic market going by the Ecosport AT shortage and considering that they may use the same DCT transmission for this one?
http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...paign=TOInewHP
Old 20th March 2015, 20:03   #9905
BHPian

Today went to Lathangi Ford for 30K kms regular service, nothing to complain about quality of service except that someone from the service center had picked my team-bhp key chain . Total cost came around 5300 which included a Rs 250 discount for lost key chain.

During service I had asked them to verify battery condition. Battery as of now is holding up pretty good. Cranking voltage stood at 12.02V, and alternator charging voltage when loaded was at 14.11V, so for now I will not worry about battery replacement, but will have a watch on it.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 20th March 2015 at 20:15.
Old 21st March 2015, 14:55   #9906
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone here replaced the high mounted brake light bulb? Ford is quoting 450 + 120 (fitting) for this!! it's a regular filament bulb for heaven's sake. Can I get it replaced outside?
Old 22nd March 2015, 00:03   #9907
Senior - BHPian

I have, if you mean the one on the tail gate. It cost less than 100/-. Check out at a different ASS. I changed it at Metro Quicklane in Yeshwantpur, Bangalore.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2015, 01:02   #9908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkat_Figo View Post
IMO adhesive may not hold the bumper, daily usage on bangalore roads .......replaced. But do consider the NCB loss on your car insurance & take a decision.
yeah! Last week I renewed my insurance to L&T insurance. Thankfully I have 2 zero depreciation claims in this policy. So thinking whether to claim immediately or try to fix it locally. Car looks bad with accompanying scratches on rear door and hanging bumper. Below image is of hanging bumper. Bumper holder has broken

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-dsc_0427.jpg
Old 22nd March 2015, 08:07   #9909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
i remeber old school mechanics used to take Ambys up a slope to get the battery charged. (A)
I agree with @vnabhi on the turbo charger part. If you read the ford 1.4 TDCi manual, there is a line asking you not to switch the engine off when the turbo is running; it says turbo should never be run dry. And from what I have observed, the turbo kicks in at 1250 rpm. (This might be a point of contention) (B)
A Can you explain this further.
B The one minute rule is to sustain lubrication to the turbocharger till it coasts down.
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:04   #9910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
yeah! Last week I renewed my insurance to L&T insurance. Thankfully I have 2 zero depreciation claims in this policy. So thinking whether to claim immediately or try to fix it locally. Car looks bad with accompanying scratches on rear door and hanging bumper. Below image is of hanging bumper. Bumper holder has broken

Attachment 1351959
Doesn't look too bad IMO, it could be fixed by the way of jugaad locally. The A.S.S would either advice a replacement or use screws to fix it, which would definitely not look good.

Check with a local guy if he can do something from the inside & try to cover up the scratches (if the scratches aren't deep). However if the scratches on the door are pretty bad (not visible in the pic posted) with dents then you might wanna go to the A.S.S. Its your call in the end.
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:12   #9911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
A Can you explain this further.
The usual practice when there is insufficient charge in the batteries. Drive the car up a slope in lower gear to keep the engine rev's high. This was done instead of revving the engine when idle. Have done this for my cousin's Amby multiple times
Quote:
B The one minute rule is to sustain lubrication to the turbocharger till it coasts down.
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-rev.jpg
Yes, agree. This is one of the international manuals. The one for India is similar as well.

Last edited by glenmz : 23rd March 2015 at 11:13.
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:18   #9912
BHPian

Have a question on Engine belt replacement - during my last visit 50k service, service guy told me after inspection that the Engine belt needs to be changed and has to be changed with entire set of pretensioner, pulley and it would cost me 13000.
I told him not to do anything and visited them, they showed me the belt and had marked it as yellow in their report, belt did not have any cracks going into the side wall of the belt.
Belt itself costs only 3500 but i was told to replace the belt you need to change the entire set. Else, the new belt is new it will eventually impact the pretensioner and pulley and all have to be changed w. This was a weird explanation and i was told if i dont the vehicle will break down in 3-4 weeks. But i didnt budge and got the rest of the service done.
I have driven for 5k more now and no issues, i would like to know if what they say is true or they are feeding me horse manure. I am planning to get my car to 3rd party service station to get this checked and probably replace my engine belt.
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:24   #9913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Has anyone here replaced the high mounted brake light bulb? Ford is quoting 450 + 120 (fitting) for this!! it's a regular filament bulb for heaven's sake. Can I get it replaced outside?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I have, if you mean the one on the tail gate. It cost less than 100/-. Check out at a different ASS. I changed it at Metro Quicklane in Yeshwantpur, Bangalore.
There are 2 types of bulbs that can be fitted here.
One is the expensive one and the other is a cheaper <Rs 100.

The difference in the cheaper and expensive bulb is in the brightness of the bulbs.
Ford A.S.S usually lets you choose.
I got the cheaper one from the A.S.S and later swapped this for a very bright bulb - Rs 40.( from a local shares shop)

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post

Attachment 1351959
If you want a perfect job, the rear bumper has to be replaced and repainted.
You are OK with a slightly imperfect finish take the car to a local garage and the same can be repaired for under Rs 3,000-3,500

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio07 View Post
Have a question on Engine belt replacement - during my last visit 50k service, service guy told me after inspection that the Engine belt needs to be changed and has to be changed with entire set of pretensioner, pulley and it would cost me 13000.
I told him not to do anything and visited them, they showed me the belt and had marked it as yellow in their report, belt did not have any cracks going into the side wall of the belt.
Belt itself costs only 3500 but i was told to replace the belt you need to change the entire set. Else, the new belt is new it will eventually impact the pretensioner and pulley and all have to be changed w. This was a weird explanation and i was told if i dont the vehicle will break down in 3-4 weeks. But i didnt budge and got the rest of the service done.
I have driven for 5k more now and no issues, i would like to know if what they say is true or they are feeding me horse manure. I am planning to get my car to 3rd party service station to get this checked and probably replace my engine belt.

What they say about replacing the tensioner and pulley is correct! This is Ford's way of doing a belt change.
Do you hear any kind of noises when you start the car in the mornings?
If they have Diagnosed your car having a weak belt please get it replaced ASAP.
A broken belt can destroy your engine.

Here is another figo with a broken steering belt.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ed-60-kph.html

Last edited by Captain Slow : 23rd March 2015 at 11:32.
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2015, 11:45   #9914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
What they say about replacing the tensioner and pulley is correct! This is Ford's way of doing a belt change.
Do you hear any kind of noises when you start the car in the mornings?
If they have Diagnosed your car having a weak belt please get it replaced ASAP.
A broken belt can destroy your engine.

Here is another figo with a broken steering belt.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ed-60-kph.html
There are no noises and as per their chart it was need attention. you would know about their color coding right- it was marked in Yellow and finally their comment in the delivery note was to replace the entire set during next service.. will get it checked anyway. Thanks Captain Slow
Old 23rd March 2015, 17:27   #9915
Senior - BHPian

@scorpio07: this is a common scam. Please take it to a different ASS and ask them. Usually they will find some other issue to charge you. Thankfully Ford ASS is not networked so they have no idea about what has been advised elsewhere.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks