Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2013, 21:22   #8236
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

I have witnessed the engine stalling issue once in my diesel Figo ( Feb 2012 model, around 11k on the clock ), though it was when slowing down for a speedbump , so it could well be my dad misjudging the rpm/clutch coordination.

That said, I did read up on some of the earlier reports of engine dying out even at higher RPM with sufficient throttle open, and the resultant loss of steering and brake boost. I have informed my dad of the same back then, so as to ensure he doesn't let the RPM drop too low triggering this condition.

Last edited by Ricci : 31st May 2013 at 21:23.
Old 1st June 2013, 14:49   #8237
BHPian

Recently went in for 30K service of my Figo at Talera Ford. Prior to this, I had got 3 servicing done at Planet Ford, Pune. The experience was a mixed bag with Talera. I had a number of Talera using which I booked a slot. I guess neither did I pay attention nor they inquired with me, but they booked me at a center which is on the other side of town whereas I intended to visit the relatively near one. So when I reached on the service date, the lady couldn't find my details in her system. But still she said she'd accommodate me but I'll have to wait for some time till an SA is assigned to me. This was positive beginning.

After about half an hour, an SA was assigned to me. He was an excellent chap. In all my 3 services at Planet, they SAs were barely interested in talking to customer. They used to mark the dents, do an inspection of the car and start filling in the tasks in the system. It was me who had inform them about the issues. In comparison, the Talera SA, right from the beginning was asking about issues that I face, the problems in the car etc. He then gave me an estimate and asked if I would be leaving the car or waiting in the customer lounge? I said I'll wait. So he himself put the car on priority. In comparison, the last time I visited Planet, I had to keep requesting the SA to get the car serviced earlier since I cannot go back and return. Initially, he refused outright but upon requesting again, he said he'll try.

Servicing was carried out as per norms and reasonably quick but the car had to wait quite long for washing.

Now for charges and not so good bits.

The reason for visiting Talera this time was, the last time I visited Planet, they had changed a AC wire mesh filter, which I feel was not damaged. Additionally, they did not explain me the charges well and I ended up agreeing for brake pad cleaning, thinking it is included in routine service labor charges. So I thought I'll try Talera this time.

Talera did not add unnecessary jobs. But their billing system is a mess. I asked if the fuel filter (Rs. 1750) is so expensive and if the price is same everywhere since I was getting prices of about 1350 on various online pages. He said there are various taxes and hence the price. When I said the difference could not be few hundred, he again tried with some justification regarding the system and prices are input by some other team etc. I did not push further. BTW, the fuel filter carried MRP sticker of 1560.

The second surprise came when I saw the bill in detail after payment. Figo takes 3.8 ltrs of engine oil when an oil change in addition to oil filter is carried out. But their billing system captures it as 4.1. Their version was 3.8 ltrs is when filter is not changed whereas 4.1 is with filter change. The SA tried to justify showing bills charged to other Figo owners. I showed them the manual where it states that 3.4 is without filter change and 3.8 with filter change. After the filter episode, I was quite unhappy to see this. I demanded I be given revised bill and refund of excess money. The SA said it can't be done now. I said I'll log a complaint with Ford regarding overcharging then he said he can adjust this amount in next service but I was unwilling. He said the billing team cannot pay back the money immediately so he will pay from his pocket and he will inform his boss and get it refunded. So I took the money from him.

So compared to Planet these guys did not add additional jobs but there system is configured to overcharge.

The charges were as below.
1. Gasket 58.36
2. Wash fluid 56.84
3. Oil Filter 350.74
4. Fuel Filter 1428.2
5. Engine Oil 1151 (4.1 Ltrs)
Total with Tax 3425
Labor
1. Service Charge 1000
2. Consumables 180
Total with tax 1325

Post of 20K service
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2947112
shipnil is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2013, 17:49   #8238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
I observed that keeping the car around 90kmph will yeild best mileage and I got 19.57kmpl (highest for me at 85% highway drive)

While driving around 120kmph got 17.7 &16.4kmph which means sedate drive and normal speed gives best mileage.
i think something wrong with the first and last entry. The fuel fill up shows 58.171 litres and 48.621 litres respectivel, but Figo's tank capacity is 45 litres.
Old 1st June 2013, 19:29   #8239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by envyravi View Post

i think something wrong with the first and last entry. The fuel fill up shows 58.171 litres and 48.621 litres respectivel, but Figo's tank capacity is 45 litres.
Your observation is right. But I had filled up partially twice and hence when I did a tank full, I added up the partially filled quantity. But calculations are correct.
Note: The fuel log application calculates mileage when we do a tank full to tank full method.

Last edited by HighOctane : 1st June 2013 at 19:33.
Old 2nd June 2013, 13:03   #8240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Any Petrol owners experiencing the same?

Regards

Happened to my car last week, I was with my family.
Slowed down to take a speed breaker on a turning and the next thing I could hear was the Beep beep beeep -- chime telling me that car has stalled. No brakes, no steering! Thankfully there was no traffic and I quickly started the car and kept moving.
I was in the 3rd gear doing about 20KM this could be the reason why it stalled.

My car is 3 1/2 years old. Done about 27,000KM. Battery is fine got it checked recently.

Don't even ask about the fuel efficiency about this car!!
On a full talk of petrol. (Auto cut off) I can only do about 350KM. Before the DTE goes to 5KM.

This is with AC on 90% of the time and only driven inside the city limits (heavy traffic conditions)

On an unrelated note -
Did anyone else get charged for a wash from Metro Ford Bangalore?
A friend of mine is who also owns a figo got his 3rd service done at metro ford and he wasn't charged 275,
During my last service I was charged an additional 275 for washing.
Old 2nd June 2013, 13:32   #8241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Happened to my car last week, I was with my family.
Slowed down to take a speed breaker on a turning and the next thing I could hear was the Beep beep beeep -- chime telling me that car has stalled. No brakes, no steering!

Don't even ask about the fuel efficiency about this car!!
On a full talk of petrol. (Auto cut off) I can only do about 350KM. Before the DTE goes to 5KM.

This is with AC on 90% of the time and only driven inside the city limits (heavy traffic conditions)

On an unrelated note -
Did it happen exactly when the clutch was being depressed? Anyway, now I know it is not because of the mods I have done.

I met a ex-Ford service mechanic and told him about this. I asked him the battery life and he said it normally three years and about the stalling, he asked me to dis-connect the battery terminal for few minutes and re-connect so the ECU resets. Kinda like restoring defaults on a computer. I am yet to try that.
But I still have a good feeling it is a battery issue . It happened 4 times already since December now.
Old 2nd June 2013, 14:11   #8242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Did it happen exactly when the clutch was being depressed? Anyway, now I know it is not because of the mods I have done.

I met a ex-Ford service mechanic and told him about this. I asked him the battery life and he said it normally three years and about the stalling, he asked me to dis-connect the battery terminal for few minutes and re-connect so the ECU resets. Kinda like restoring defaults on a computer. I am yet to try that.
But I still have a good feeling it is a battery issue . It happened 4 times already since December now.
Yup, you could say that, and my car is fully stock! only the bulbs were upgraded to crystal visions.

When was your last service done? did they check the battery then?
If you have a multimeter you can check the voltage reading yourself.

Do you face any starting issues in the morning ? cold starts? If you don't then I don't think its the battery.

The ECU resetting by disconnecting the battery terminals doesn't do anything much only MY DTE got reset. doesn't actually do anything else.

Last edited by Captain Slow : 2nd June 2013 at 14:13.
Old 2nd June 2013, 14:35   #8243
BHPian

I have never been charged for wash work carried on during service.
Old 2nd June 2013, 22:07   #8244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post

When was your last service done? did they check the battery then?
If you have a multimeter you can check the voltage reading yourself.

Do you face any starting issues in the morning ? cold starts? If you don't then I don't think its the battery.

The ECU resetting by disconnecting the battery terminals doesn't do anything much only MY DTE got reset. doesn't actually do anything else.
Last service was in August last year. I am not sure if battery was checked. I did check the battery charging using the test mode in the car. It showed 13.9 with all electricals running and 14.1 without.
No issues regarding starting any time of the day which is why I am not sure why it happened multiple times.
Guess i'll have to wait till next service and see what Ford has to say.

Last edited by tharian : 2nd June 2013 at 22:07. Reason: typo
Old 3rd June 2013, 01:37   #8245
BHPian

@GTO / All experts,
This may sound like a silly question, but i feel its a significant one in my case:
I know that the turn indicator controls and the wiper controls in Figo are on the "opposite" side as compared to Maruti cars. Is it possible to interchange these controls in Figo and make it like Maruti? The reason I ask is that, I plan to gift my dad a hatch next month (around 4 lakhs) and I like Figo as a package. He is not exactly very savvy about cars as such and has been using a Maruti since way back. Considering his age he may find it difficult to get used to this change. Dont want it to become a daily headache! This is the only thing that's holding me back from buying it. Please advise.
Old 3rd June 2013, 08:56   #8246
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerband_rider View Post
@GTO / All experts,
This may sound like a silly question, but i feel its a significant one in my case:
I know that the turn indicator controls and the wiper controls in Figo are on the "opposite" side as compared to Maruti cars. Is it possible to interchange these controls in Figo and make it like Maruti? The reason I ask is that, I plan to gift my dad a hatch next month (around 4 lakhs) and I like Figo as a package. He is not exactly very savvy about cars as such and has been using a Maruti since way back. Considering his age he may find it difficult to get used to this change. Dont want it to become a daily headache! This is the only thing that's holding me back from buying it. Please advise.
While i understand the concern here, i must say that its not that big a deal. I jumped from a Maruti to the Figo and took around 2 days to get a hang of the opposite controls. The lane change indicator (light tap on stick gives three blinks) is a boon in city traffic and he will love it.

Edit: Ford is notorious with any modifications voiding warranty. So i would advise not to do this change as it will give Ford a reason to void the warranty.

Last edited by Mik : 3rd June 2013 at 08:57.
Old 3rd June 2013, 10:14   #8247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@GTO / All experts,
As already pointed out earlier, its not a big deal. Your dad may struggle for a week but after that he will adjust. Its a sub-conscious thing and does not have to be remembered everytime while using.

Regarding switching sides I don't think its such a simple task. Wouldnt Ford just do it during assembly if it was . It will surely require lot of wiring and steering column mod which is highly NOT recommended.
Old 3rd June 2013, 10:23   #8248
BHPian

Quote:
@GTO / All experts,
I know that the turn indicator controls and the wiper controls in Figo are on the "opposite" side.....Please advise.
Hi powerband, i too had this issue of getting accustomed to this change of stalk position. You'll get used to it within an hour of driving and when you go back into a maruti, you'll not have the same confusion. Don't worry about it. Don't lose out on a good car (Somehow i am partial to the figo, that love )

That aside, the only reason the stalks are interchanged in because ford decided to use an old platform and ported the RHD mechanism and didn't bother to change its mechanicals.
Old 3rd June 2013, 12:17   #8249
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
.... the only reason the stalks are interchanged in because ford decided to use an old platform and ported the RHD mechanism and didn't bother to change its mechanicals.
also, the bonnet open lever is on the LHS, but a lesser fly in the oinment
Old 3rd June 2013, 12:28   #8250
BHPian

Quote:
@GTO / All experts,
I plan to gift my dad a hatch next month (around 4 lakhs) and I like Figo as a package. He is not exactly very savvy about cars as such and has been using a Maruti since way back. Considering his age he may find it difficult to get used to this change. Dont want it to become a daily headache! This is the only thing that's holding me back from buying it. Please advise.
Sorry to be different, but personelly i will not vouch Figo for Elders. but will recommend Ritz petrol
Reason
#1. Stiffer ride
#2. HPS, means a little of effort needed to steer in-city driving condition.
#3. Low slung car, ingress/egress will be an issue.
#4. Not so fuel efficient petrol engine

Ritz-Y overcome all the above short comings of Figo.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks