Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2013, 00:14   #8251
BHPian

re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Thank you guys for the speedy feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
While i understand the concern here, i must say that its not that big a deal. I jumped from a Maruti to the Figo and took around 2 days to get a hang of the opposite controls. The lane change indicator (light tap on stick gives three blinks) is a boon in city traffic and he will love it.

Edit: Ford is notorious with any modifications voiding warranty. So i would advise not to do this change as it will give Ford a reason to void the warranty.
Yes Mik, may be I'm a little too over-concerned about it. But you know how it is, you want your gift to be liked in every way by the recipient
Btw, did not know about the nice feature you pointed out. Sounds useful. Thanks! Yes I always had this at the back of my mind that the warranty would take a hit, when I thought of this change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
As already pointed out earlier, its not a big deal. Your dad may struggle for a week but after that he will adjust. Its a sub-conscious thing and does not have to be remembered everytime while using.

Regarding switching sides I don't think its such a simple task. Wouldnt Ford just do it during assembly if it was . It will surely require lot of wiring and steering column mod which is highly NOT recommended.
Yes eventually he should get accustomed to it. But I'm just worried if it takes time, it'll become a sudden distraction for him while taking a turn. I mean, suddenly if something unexpected happens like wipers coming on instead of the indicator, instinctively ones focus shifts to the wipers and trying to switch them off, than focusing on the turn itself. Again it's not really about savvy people like us with quick reflexes, its about an elderly man
Regarding the wiring/mod job, bingo! this is exactly what I wanted to know actually, if the switching can be done easily without too many complexities. Thanks!
Ford may have their have own reason in keeping it that way, as pointed out later. But I had been wondering if it could be done outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
Hi powerband, i too had this issue of getting accustomed to this change of stalk position. You'll get used to it within an hour of driving and when you go back into a maruti, you'll not have the same confusion. Don't worry about it. Don't lose out on a good car (Somehow i am partial to the figo, that love )

That aside, the only reason the stalks are interchanged in because ford decided to use an old platform and ported the RHD mechanism and didn't bother to change its mechanicals.
Yes I can see the love for the car there! Wonder who features at the top of your most-loved list: Wife/Gf/Figo?!
Thanks for the technical explanation.
It certainly feels like a good car. Have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
Sorry to be different, but personelly i will not vouch Figo for Elders. but will recommend Ritz petrol
Reason
#1. Stiffer ride
#2. HPS, means a little of effort needed to steer in-city driving condition.
#3. Low slung car, ingress/egress will be an issue.
#4. Not so fuel efficient petrol engine

Ritz-Y overcome all the above short comings of Figo.
DA, I knew somebody would touch this topic. Figo does feel low, I have driven it for a short distance. The thing is, I personally wanted a change in the family. My sedan is also a Maruti and while I just cant complain about the robustness of their cars, some things do make you wonder if you should look at other brands - the plastics for instance. They tend to bother you somewhat after a while.
Actually I selected Figo since it felt like a sturdier car amongst its competition. But will give the Ritzy a try, pukka. Thanks!
Old 4th June 2013, 09:25   #8252
BHPian

I am looking for a nice ecu upgrade - hesitant of remapping and would like to know options of piggy bank ecu. Mainly looking for low end torque(1.5K rpm to 2.5K rpm).

My Figo 1.2L completed 3 years today and is officially out of the ford warranty!

It did 14.5K kms(yes very low). Looks like I should put in some mods for celebrating 3 years! Tyres and alloys are already in. Stanley is inline(may be in 5th anniversary) - stock seats still going good.

Not interested in a CAI, because the current setup looks like drawing cold air. Fully Synthetic oil, all new air filter(cosworth) and a 3M paint + under body coating is on charts.

I know people are against paint protective coatings, but I have observed a weird thing after doing paint protective coating - When ever I park my car at night, flies get attracted to it. They just come and sit there. I had this checked by parking another white figo near mine inside office parking lot. My car was a fly magnet. I guess it is due to the voilet(UV) portion reflecting more due to paint protection coating.

Last edited by Sedate : 4th June 2013 at 09:27.
Old 4th June 2013, 09:43   #8253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate View Post
I am looking for a nice ecu upgrade - hesitant of remapping and would like to know options of piggy bank ecu. Mainly looking for low end torque(1.5K rpm to 2.5K rpm).

My Figo 1.2L completed 3 years today and is officially out of the ford warranty!

It did 14.5K kms(yes very low). Looks like I should put in some mods for celebrating 3 years! Tyres and alooys are already in. Stanley is inline(may be in 5th anniversary) - stock seats still going good.

Now my 3M coating makes my car a fly magnet. I guess it is due to the voilet(UV) portion reflecting more due to paint protection coating.
It is nice to see the love for your car. You can install Racedynamics Dieseltronic Box. Its just plug n play and its has 3-4 drive modes according to your needs and costs 20k. Improves low end torque in P1 mode and improves mileage too. The box can be removed whenever you do not need it.

Go for Stanleys only if you keep the Car for another 5-6 years.

I have not heard that 3M paint protection attracts flies. Try a wax coat DIY on the car and may be due to wax smell, it may keep off.

Last edited by HighOctane : 4th June 2013 at 09:45.
Old 4th June 2013, 10:17   #8254
BHPian

Does the dieseltronics box work with the 1.2L petrol too? I really think that would not be the case. However, a remap would do just fine. Plus, the 1.2 can be tuned quite a bit to make it a little better. Also, CAI is for diesels, a generic air filter is what petrols use as far as my limited understanding of automobiles goes.

So in my opinion, go for a complete AIR system (this will cover you filter, FFE etc). Then go for a tuning box or a remap withever suits you.

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 4th June 2013 at 10:20.
Old 4th June 2013, 10:37   #8255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
It is nice to see the love for your car. You can install Racedynamics Dieseltronic Box.
Correction, he uses a petrol Figo
slicvic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 12:40   #8256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
Sorry to be different, but personelly i will not vouch Figo for Elders. but will recommend Ritz petrol
Reason
#1. Stiffer ride
#2. HPS, means a little of effort needed to steer in-city driving condition.
#3. Low slung car, ingress/egress will be an issue.
#4. Not so fuel efficient petrol engine

Ritz-Y overcome all the above short comings of Figo.
Even I agree with Drive Addicts point. Tall Boy designs are definitely more suited for elder people due to more easy ingress and egress plus better engine on the Ritz. However it wont be as good a value for money as Figo esp comparing Zxi against Titanium models

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerband_rider View Post
Yes eventually he should get accustomed to it. But I'm just worried if it takes time, it'll become a sudden distraction for him while taking a turn. I mean, suddenly if something unexpected happens like wipers coming on instead of the indicator, instinctively ones focus shifts to the wipers and trying to switch them off, than focusing on the turn itself. Again it's not really about savvy people like us with quick reflexes, its about an elderly man
I totally get your point and concern. Only input I can give you which may or may not help is that my father who is a retired sr. citizen drives a Santro in our home town and when ever he comes and stays with me drives my Figo and Ikon which are both opposite in terms of indicators/wiper position. He has been managing ok. He does turn on wiper when not needed occasionally but hasnt been too much of a issue. You should get your dad to do a test drive maybe to get some first hand experience
Old 4th June 2013, 12:50   #8257
BHPian

Fixed Osram NB+ H4 55/60W on my Figo, NB+ definitly gives some improvement over OEM bulbs. As claimed by Osram, the light reaches farther and bit more brighter than OEM.

One cannot expect a whole lotsa difference just by switching to NB+, but one can definitly feel the difference after this upgrade.

Next in line, HID on Fogs, but not in near future. Need some analysis and excess money :-).
Old 4th June 2013, 13:14   #8258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerband_rider View Post
Thank you guys for the speedy feedback.

DA, I knew somebody would touch this topic. Figo does feel low, I have driven it for a short distance. The thing is, I personally wanted a change in the family. My sedan is also a Maruti and while I just cant complain about the robustness of their cars, some things do make you wonder if you should look at other brands - the plastics for instance. They tend to bother you somewhat after a while.
Actually I selected Figo since it felt like a sturdier car amongst its competition. But will give the Ritzy a try, pukka. Thanks!
@powerband_rider, from what you have mentioned your father would be driving the car more often than you, I have the diesel Figo and it is the best package, space, build, handling, it does feel sluggish and tiring to drive in traffic.

After a certain age, one wants the ease of driving, I would look around for an i10 or Ritz or even maybe even the Brio.

All the Best
Old 4th June 2013, 15:38   #8259
BHPian

Can someone threw information about Figo's fog lamp bulb spec?

I was analyzing on this option, and came across this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...uti-swift.html

Its a DIY on Swift. Whether this HID fits on a Figo's fog lamp?
Old 4th June 2013, 18:52   #8260
BHPian

Hi,

I do not know if this is the appropriate thread for my concern but was unable to find another.

Has anyone used autorunners on their Figo, and also please share the improvements it has done to the GC. Any other methods to imrpove the GC also welcome
Old 4th June 2013, 19:40   #8261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate View Post

Not interested in a CAI, because the current setup looks like drawing cold air. Fully Synthetic oil, all new air filter(cosworth) and a 3M paint + under body coating is on charts. .

I am not sure if the Duratec 1.2 engine has a remap or piggy back ECU available yet. The last I checked, it was still being worked on by a tuning house in Bangalore.
As for CAI, as far as I have experienced, it makes a world of a difference on this engine. I remember not wanting to rev with the stock set up due to the noise and tightness with the engine.
With the CAI, it revvs freely all the way to 5k rpm. Highly recommended along with a FFE if you have plans for that.

Synthetic oil along with platinum plugs was something which I wanted to shift to as well. Was unable to find the right grade so decided to do a oil change every 5k kms with semi-synth which works out cheaper as well and the plug was a different sized one, which is long on the Figo, unable to find that too.

If you are looking for the stock replacement Cosworth filter, PM me.
Old 4th June 2013, 19:44   #8262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I am not sure if the Duratec 1.2 engine has a remap or piggy back ECU available yet.
Remap is available with Cosworth. Charge is some 16K. Looking for piggy back because of the flexibility it offers.
Sedate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 19:47   #8263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Even I agree with Drive Addicts point.
======You should get your dad to do a test drive maybe to get some first hand experience
Just did a quick check on Ritz last night on the website. Seems a little over my budget (4L). But I agree on Tall-boy being more suitable for elders.
Thanks for the input about your dad. Will definitely reassure me if I do go ahead with the purchase. May be having the car TDed is a safer way to go about it after all, but the surprise element?? The drain is where it goes :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
@powerband_rider, from what you have mentioned your father would be driving the car more often than you, I have the diesel Figo and it is the best package, space, build, handling, it does feel sluggish and tiring to drive in traffic.

After a certain age, one wants the ease of driving, I would look around for an i10 or Ritz or even maybe even the Brio.

All the Best
Yes neo, the car is primarily for my dad. I did consider i10, but Figo felt like a more solid car. The Brio and Ritz are a little over my budget of 4L I guess.
Thanks for your take on the Figo though. Will keep in mind.
Old 5th June 2013, 11:26   #8264
BHPian

Powerband, you could look into ownership reports for more info if you would like, just a suggestion. Other than that, i feel my figo's ecu has adapted to my sedate driving habit. She is slow in every department now, lol. Only if i give her some throttle does she even respond and then she pulls gladly. One more thing i noted as far as figo's aging goes, is that the older figos, once over the 50K mark on the odo, the tdcis develop a lot of sound like those matadors running about. Funnily, the insides still seem quiet.
Old 7th June 2013, 00:00   #8265
Senior - BHPian

I got the worst FE ye again..Managed 7.9L Per Km
Driving this car sure does hurt my wallet!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks