Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2017, 23:29   #10501
BHPian

Re: Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibin View Post
Was the AC issue like the fan was making so much sound but was not blowing anything out to the cabin?
I also faced a similar issue during a long drive while I was allowing outside air to flow to cabin long time. Post that day never had a similar experience so i doubt if its the same issue or now, but now its functioning normally and I have not done anything to the AC till now
Yes Bibin, happened once last year one the trip to Hampi. Had to switch off for couple of kms of drive and it was all fine again. Never happened again.

BTW the dreaded ECU reset is back in my 1.4 TCDI again . Its 2012 MY and done 72K. Its happens randomly while downshifting while clutch being pressed. I had this issue earlier and ECU reflash resolved it way back in 2013.

Once I was taking a sharp turn and bang in the middle of the road ECU reset happened. Thankfully I had enough momentum to take it to side of the road, but not before almost getting banged by an auto. Since the clutch is pressed and the engine RPM falls to idling range I am negating the EGR issue. Any other pointers,
Old 12th April 2017, 08:43   #10502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pious_devil View Post
Yes Bibin, happened once last year one the trip to Hampi. Had to switch off for couple of kms of drive and it was all fine again. Never happened again.

BTW the dreaded ECU reset is back in my 1.4 TCDI again . Its 2012 MY and done 72K. Its happens randomly while downshifting while clutch being pressed. I had this issue earlier and ECU reflash resolved it way back in 2013.

Once I was taking a sharp turn and bang in the middle of the road ECU reset happened. Thankfully I had enough momentum to take it to side of the road, but not before almost getting banged by an auto. Since the clutch is pressed and the engine RPM falls to idling range I am negating the EGR issue. Any other pointers,
Have got the same checked again 2 days back and even the service centre people were also not able to reproduce the issue, and they told if I face it again let them know as its the thermistor issue only.
To change the thermistor they will have to remove the dashboard is what they have told, I also dint have much time to wait since its not bothering me at all now.

Regarding the ECU, Im hearing it for the first time. What all can go wrong in such a situation??
Old 15th April 2017, 21:38   #10503
Senior - BHPian

I drive first generation figo diesel which has run 92K KMs in 5.2 years.
The car is showing signs of aging. Before spending further on up keeping the Figo, thought of checking future costs associated with the car.

Upcoming known expenses are

Need to replace pre-tensioner/pully etc at 1,00,000 KMs mark which will set me back by 8K.
Suspension has noise and Service Adviser asked to replace tie road end and ball joint setup which will cost 8K.
Other day got stranded (thankfully after parking the car) due to broken gear shifter. Local mechanic came to rescue and fixed the issue using binding wire. SA advised that we might have to replace gear cable which will cost 4.8K.
AC is not chiller compared to initial years. This might need a fix. Cost is unknown.

Finally the shocker, engine life is around 1,30,000 to 1,40,000 KMs after which it needs engine overhaul. I inquired about engine overhaul with Service Adviser at Cauvery Ford Mangalore. He said it costs around 1,80,000 rupees.

Any one has overhauled their 1.4 TDCi diesel engine? what is the expected engine life of First gen Figo?
Old 15th April 2017, 23:23   #10504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
I drive first generation figo diesel which has run 92K KMs in 5.2 years.
The car is showing signs of aging. Before spending further on up keeping the Figo, thought of checking future costs associated with the car.

Upcoming known expenses are
Quote:
Finally the shocker, engine life is around 1,30,000 to 1,40,000 KMs after which it needs engine overhaul. I inquired about engine overhaul with Service Adviser at Cauvery Ford Mangalore. He said it costs around 1,80,000 rupees.
Any one has overhauled their 1.4 TDCi diesel engine? what is the expected engine life of First gen Figo?
My uncle had a Figo that did more than 195k kms before he sold it, engine was never touched.

Quote:
Need to replace pre-tensioner/pully etc at 1,00,000 KMs mark which will set me back by 8K.

Timing belt replacement is already due. Recommended interval is 120,000kms or 5 years whichever is earlier.
Coolant also needs replacement. Rs.1200/-

Quote:
Other day got stranded (thankfully after parking the car) due to broken gear shifter. Local mechanic came to rescue and fixed the issue using binding wire. SA advised that we might have to replace gear cable which will cost 4.8K.

Shifter cable bushing breaking loose is a known issue, get a new rubber bush installed. Costs somewhere around Rs.650/-.

Quote:
Suspension has noise and Service Adviser asked to replace tie road end and ball joint setup which will cost 8K.
Suspension noise- replace parts as needed. Ball joint cannot replaced individually as it a part of the lower control arm assembly. Each side costs 2.2k.

Quote:
AC is not chiller compared to initial years. This might need a fix. Cost is unknown.
AC refrigerant gas needs a top-up but I recommend getting the entire refrigerant evacuated and filling exactly 520gms of refrigerant using automatic AC recharging machine at the SVC. Avoid local AC repair shops or top-up as an overcharged/undercharged system will not perform satisfactorily. Cost around Rs.1500-2000/-.
interc00led is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 12:19   #10505

My 2013 Figo has had some transmission issues recently. It has run around 48,000 kms. Around a year back, it suddenly wouldn't get into 1st or 2nd gear (when stationary). It would go into 3rd and after the vehicle moves a bit, it was possible to shift into 1st/2nd. Since this issue happened only a couple of times (and not when at the ASC), the technicians were not able to figure out what the issue was. And there was no trouble from the gearbox for more than a year after that.

In March this year, this issue came up again and this time, things were worse. The 1st gear issue happened 4-5 times (at irregular intervals and did not happen every time I set off from start). Apart from this, while the car was in motion, it was not possible to downshift to 2nd from 3rd/4th/5th. 1st to 2nd was not an issue and it worked perfectly fine. I took the car to the ASC and they said the transmission has to be opened up to check whats wrong.

Has anyone faced similar issues with the transmission in their Figo?
Old 22nd April 2017, 09:13   #10506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arif_ford View Post
Has anyone faced similar issues with the transmission in their Figo?
Hi arif_ford,

I guess its some thing to do with the gear bush. Deep Blue has already shared almost a similar experience quite long time back in his post #9216. Its better to get it checked up in the service station once.
pious_devil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 14:35   #10507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibin View Post
Have got the same checked again 2 days back and even the service centre people were also not able to reproduce the issue, and they told if I face it again let them know as its the thermistor issue only.
To change the thermistor they will have to remove the dashboard is what they have told, I also dint have much time to wait since its not bothering me at all now.

Regarding the ECU, Im hearing it for the first time. What all can go wrong in such a situation??
Bibin - here is the update from my 460 KM trip from Bangalore to Kerala. Started around 6:15 AM from Bangalore, had breakfast stop at Shoolagiri. (The place where you see a McDonalds). Was on AC after the first 30 minutes. Reached Salem around 9:30 AM and the AC effect started deteriorating. The blower was not pushing enough cool air. I switched off AC but still the blower was not pumping air at usual volume. Then shutdown blower also for 5 minutes. After that, put AC again in 2 and it was fine ! Through out the trip during the hot day till 3 PM, AC never gave any problem. To preempt any issues, I was switching off AC at toll booths, giving it a bit of respite.

Today early morning at 5 AM, I had a 72 KM run which was done in 1 hour 15 minutes. As it was early morning, I put AC in 1 only and it was Fine. I returned around 8:15 AM, by the time it was hot and I put AC in 2. The cooling effect was not good enough, barely comfortable.

I will be driving back to Bangalore next Thursday, will update about the problem after that. If Ford service guys are not sure what's the problem and suggest us to try changing Thermistor, I don't want to take that gamble spending more than 2K.

Last edited by Revy : 22nd April 2017 at 14:38.
Old 23rd April 2017, 00:35   #10508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post

I will be driving back to Bangalore next Thursday, will update about the problem after that. If Ford service guys are not sure what's the problem and suggest us to try changing Thermistor, I don't want to take that gamble spending more than 2K.
Maybe the evaporator coil is icing-up. Next time this happens, turn off the ac but keep the blower running. You should notice an increase in air flow within 2-3 minutes as the ice melts down and airflow is restored.
It could be due to -
1. Insufficient refrigerant charge
or
2. A faulty thermistor which isn't cutting off the compressor when the evaporator is about to ice-up.

Last edited by interc00led : 23rd April 2017 at 00:36.
Old 23rd April 2017, 09:09   #10509
BHPian

Quote:

I had a similar experience a few years back. Got the thermostat replaced under warranty and that solved the issue. Getting to the thermostat is a tedious one.
Old 23rd April 2017, 12:58   #10510
BHPian

Quote:

I don't own a Figo but I am sure modern diesel engines can go beyond 1.4 lakh kilometres without any issues, provided it is serviced regularly. My father's civic, though being a petrol, has done 2.6 lakh km without an engine overhaul. If you dont experience issues like excessive smoke, incleased oil consumption, loss of power, the engine is perfectly alright.
csr9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2017, 22:53   #10511
BHPian

Quote:

Finally the shocker, engine life is around 1,30,000 to 1,40,000 KMs
Did the service adviser tell this?

Mine is crossed one lakh and at the one lakh service, the SA at Cauvery Ford, Udupi did not say anything to that effect. ( I had not asked either)
Old 23rd April 2017, 23:48   #10512
BHPian

The car should easily last more than 1.8lac KMs. The other day I saw figo tdci at a Pune company workshop , and spoke to the gentleman who owns the car. Despite him having driving it on rural roads, and a mix of city - the car seemed car. The engine noise had gone up, and the usual cosmetic wear tear was all the car had.

My FIGO has now done 53K in 6 years - with 25k being done in the last 1 .3 years. Love the car! It does have it's down sides though:

- CLutch is harder than the Swift, but better than the new FIGO. I tried driving a zoomcar Aspire TDCI last week, since I was hoping to buy a new car. After all due consideration, dropped the new FIGO since my car will be 75% city use. The clutch on the new figo is pretty hard.

- 2nd gear acceleration after you downshift from 3rd has a slight deadzone. Any body else faced this? THis is more pronounced with the AC running.

Quote:

Old 25th April 2017, 21:54   #10513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Most of the maintenance seems normal as the car ages. You can save some cost in my view by going to a reliable local garage and see if some of these changes can be delayed.

Regarding the engine life, I have sat in multiple Fiesta cabs using the same engine running in excess of 2,50,000 kms and the engine had not been opened up. As long as you have changed oil regularly, nothing to worry. Dont necessarily go by what A.S.S says. Once car is out of warranty they take owners for a ride.
Old 26th April 2017, 23:02   #10514
BHPian

hi,
Few days back did 120k service of my figo tdci.In addition to normal routines worn out suspension components were changed.Bill was around 17.5k.Buying this figo in 2010 was truely based on team-bhp reviews which i never regretted and truely enjoying ford's DNA...
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-figo-120k-1.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Ford Figo (2010)-figo-120k-2.jpg  

Old 29th April 2017, 14:36   #10515
BHPian

Quote:
My return trip to Bangalore (460 km) started around 6:30 AM, had my breakfast stop at around 8:15 AM after driving about 100 km. Reached Bangalore at about 1:45 PM and AC did not give any issues. I was always giving few minutes break for AC at toll stops. So the problem seems very random, not able to reproduce every time ! As I am upgrading to a new car within next 6 weeks, I will either sell this car or retain it for use at my Kerala home. Resale price offered by dealers are pathetic, one guy offered me 1.75 lakhs . Is it that bad ? At just 74K and 7 years, I feel the car has lot of life left in it. Still a joy to drive on the highway and I don't feel like selling it at low price. Except some body scratches, the car is in very good condition and no major repair in 7 years. (Changed break pads once, that's all). Still getting mileage of about 17-18 on the highway and about 15-16 in the city.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks