Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2010, 22:08   #1561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
@scorpio07 : for ABS to be effective, one does needs space but we cant rule out city use completely.

@fiery_enzyme : The steering problem was only with 50-100 cars already produced, It has been now corrected so you need not worry for may deliveries, Guys taking delivery today also need not worry, problem has already been sorted (those taking delivery prior to march 31 should check)
thanks mustang, i did say would go for ABS, the use is limited and rare in city conditions thats all.

@misquita: Figo is a global platform and hence the wiper controls on the other side, all ford cars have similar placement and so does the GM ones even the earlier daewoo had a similar arrangement. People will get used to it
Old 6th April 2010, 23:31   #1562
BHPian

I think ABS is very important these days as the power output of any present generation car is shooting up while the road facilities remain more or less the same!

ABS has saved my life when my accord understeer while negotiating a turn during heavy rain. I had to step on the brake pedals madly to get the car back in control. I was saved from a hug loss because of this feature. all thanks to ABS!!!
Old 6th April 2010, 23:33   #1563
Senior - BHPian

Soon as I saw mustang's post I ran out to check if my car was from that batch. Luckily it doesn't feel like that. Car felt quite stable. Will test more during the weekend on some empty private roads.

But I did notice something a bit strange. When I turn the steering wheel completely to any direction when the car is stationary or moving I get hissing sound from the steering column. This can also be heard from the outside aswell!
Is this normal ?
Could Joe,revvy try and let me know ?
Any other Figo owners can try this?
Mustang !
Old 6th April 2010, 23:35   #1564
BHPian

Thats the Hallmark of American culture. Do things the opposite way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
Fourth minor disappointment: Wiper controls on the "wrong" side of the steering. While taking a test drive on a hot afternoon, my Friend inadvertently activated the wipers on a regular basis when he wanted to change the roads. I also don;t know what purpose it serve to have the bonnet release lever in the left hand side of the car.
Old 6th April 2010, 23:37   #1565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
But I did notice something a bit strange. When I turn the steering wheel completely to any direction when the car is stationary or moving I get hissing sound from the steering column. This can also be heard from the outside aswell!
Is this normal ?
Could Joe,revvy try and let me know ?
Any other Figo owners can try this?
Mustang !
Normal sound from any hydraulic power steering. It's usually audible only when there is hardly any ambient noise.

Quote:
Fourth minor disappointment: Wiper controls on the "wrong" side of the steering. While taking a test drive on a hot afternoon, my Friend inadvertently activated the wipers on a regular basis when he wanted to change the roads. I also don;t know what purpose it serve to have the bonnet release lever in the left hand side of the car.
The indicators and wipers are in the correct place. You will know what I mean when you drive it around for a few days. There is a thread on TBHP debating this aspect.

Last edited by Gilead : 6th April 2010 at 23:39.
Old 7th April 2010, 02:49   #1566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Normal sound from any hydraulic power steering. It's usually audible only when there is hardly any ambient noise.

The indicators and wipers are in the correct place. You will know what I mean when you drive it around for a few days. There is a thread on TBHP debating this aspect.
On the contrary, the thread you have suggested has voted overwhelmingly for RHS indicator controls for the RHS drive. Having driven the Matiz for 3 years and the Alto since the last two years, I prefer the Alto RHS indicator controls.

I fully agree with the views below:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1820067
Old 7th April 2010, 07:45   #1567
BANNED

I find indicators on the left to be more comfortable. I realised this soon when we got our Ikon & I started driving it.
Old 7th April 2010, 10:08   #1568
BANNED

When i check this thread yesterday night i saw 5 pages to be read. So decided to read in morning. It took about 2 hours for complete reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brix View Post
Seems to be the most logical reason to me. But quite stupid also.

Why does the paint color play such an important role in the production batch. I can understand the petrol/diesel and variant mix, but color seems silly.

Yes, I do hope I get it quick. I have the money and I want my car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio07 View Post
GiLead gave the answer, to put it in simple terms. You have a litre of paint for 5 cars, no point in using it for just one car. Its more complex on higher degree.
I can't believe that ford has only 1 or 2 bookings for squeeze zxi petrol There must be more than 100.

Quote:
If Ford has advertised for a specific colour (squeeze) in its brochures and media campaigns, why can't Ford simply paint a batch of squeeze cars in ALL of its variants? If it is unable to do so, then they should clearly say so upfront (like how they have stated that the red dash is not available on a particular car colour). No point in making feeble and lame excuses at a later point in time that the squeeze in a particular variant is not available because of a lack of demand.

What is a customer expected to do, when he pays then ENTIRE money upfront, only to have Ford tell him that that particular colour and variant is not available? The least Ford should do is to refund his money, if he is unwilling to opt for a different shade/variant. Giving stupid and lame excuses is the last thing that a reputed company is expected to do. All these marketing and operational manuals and strategies make little sense if customers are going to think twice before entering the Ford showroom in future.
I think ford is following maruti style in all aspects like cost of wonership, price, delay.

Squeeze is there concept color and zxi is the best selling model, still then they have no produced it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio07 View Post
dude chill, i am no representative of Ford and neither am i defending it. Heard something and passed it around for the benefit of all. So far things have been smooth for most of the people who have booked for the Figo. If you had seen through previous posts, Ford functions on build to order.
They would have created a stock based on the initial bookings, some colors are preferred as standard such as White,Black, Red and Gray whilst the others would have been in low volumes. That may be the reason for a particular color not available.
From any company point of view, they need to hit volumes to get cost. Sources tell that it takes the sales of about 10 figos to get profit whereas it just takes one fiesta to make a similar profitability.

These are my opinions only am not representing any company or marketing for any company
We are not arguing against you, we just put our frustration towards ford.
No low volume, no volume will be correct. As per mustang there is at least one color which is not yet produced in every variant.

The reason is that ford orders paint in very bulk to save a lot. Like they order one paint for at least 1000 figo. So they can't buy too much for the low order squeeze. But still they are giving it in other variants.

I am a software reseller, i always keep at least 5 quantity in stock of every item i offer. So i don't need to say to my customers that i am out stock for a particular item and forces them to wait. I take more in stock if am runing low quantity. I never look the demand of the item, if i have offered an item it should be in stock. This because to keep up the good name and relaibility with customers. So i run my business well.

I think ford as a US reputed company should follow these strategies. They do neglect this because they have turned to maruti attitude of low price and sell more. So profit per item decrease. So they don't mind the minority and rather focus on the majority sale.

10 figos will get them some profit. That is the reason behind the very vfm price of figo. Ford was smart to do many research and introduce a smarter price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Oh that's news , an open boot should trigger door open warning. Is this a problem with your individual car or is it by design ? Can any one explain.
If this is by design then that is not done Ford.

@ Mustang- Why is Ford limiting customer choice of colors, can't Ford introduce some more colours like blue/Choco/maroons etc. Or Ford is sparing these colours for some upgrades in future or does it gets too complex to handle multiple colors at a time.

Can you please throw some explanation from a manufactures point of view.
Ford has not able to manufacture many colors across variant. After they could do that, they will think of new colors. I liked all your color suggestion, these are the colors i am waiting for.

Quote:
No wonder there's no Employee discount. Ford would then have to sell these cars like the Playstations(PS3). Each would be sold at a loss.

I guess when the Employee discount comes into force, the price of the car would have shot up too. This is a free for all discount.
This is the main reason behind the vfm. They expect more order from vfm price and so profit increase due to huge order than profit per car.

Quote:
@ALL FIGO OWNERS : This is IMPORTANT!

Please drive your figo & on a straight road, leave the steering, Tell me if the car is moving towards the left/right & not going straight. Most probably if your car has this problem, then it will go towards the left.

A batch of cars have a steering alignment problem. It can be fixed in an hour for free at any dealership but i want to make sure that no one here has it.

Please convey to fellow figonians here.
Quote:
Nah, Its with just a small no. of cars about 50-100 of them AFAIK, btw ford is not disclosing it but i am telling you guys.
I saw someone in facebook figo page told the same issue.

"Gurpreet Ratra I'm sorry again boss...but ford service sucks. Sitting at Harpreet Ford Service from last 2 hours for just changing the tyres as my figo delivered to me with faulty tyres.

Bhagwan kuch chamatkar karo because I want to feel the difference as per your punch line.tyres was not aligned. My car goes left and have to put pressure on steering to drive straight. Its dangerous also as I can't leave the steering for a second."

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery enzyme View Post
Hi All,

I need some help here. I booked a white titanium with coral IP on 2nd april. The dealer told me that the car can be delivered by 15th May. I had sold my car last week and am now facing some difficulties without a car.

I called him today and requested if he can speed up the delivery as I would like the car to be delivered earlier. He called me back saying there is a white ZXI available and if I want to take it.

Now I'm really tempted and confused. The only difference is the ABS and Airbags. Should I wait for the titanium or should I go for the ZXI? The feedback from family and friends are for both sides of the arguments.

Should I wait or go for the ZXI?
If you are for city driving zxi is enough. There is no much use of airbag and abs in low speed city drive. Also you should consider your past driving experience. If you had met an accident then you should go for titanium.

Also you can think of a rent a car till delivery.

Quote:
Only bad drivers are prone to panic braking. Even good drivers have to resort to panic braking at times to avoid obstacles on the road. IMO most panic braking and wheel lock ups happen in the city and not on the highway. E.g. kids running on the road, share autos suddenly cutting across lanes to pick up or drop off passengers, cyclists weaving around to avoid potholes, traffic signals suddenly changing to red and policemen jumping in front to stop you etc. Highways are relatively far more peaceful.

You definitely won't regret it.
In my city i can't go beyond 30 kmph in due to the small road and huge traffic, i think doesn't need airbag and abs.

Quote:
OK, so mkerala has something to cheer about. If and when he gets his Squeeze figo, this problem will be ruled out.

By the way, I'm seeing a lot of figos on the road in Goa. This afternoon I spotted a brand new gray Figo moving majestically on the road. The colour looked quite good.

When I went to see the Figo at the showroom, I was slightly disappointed by the huge wheel wells protruding inside the hatch space. I don't recall other cars having such a huge protrusions of the wheel wells. They eat up much of the impressive hatch space. In my opinion, it would have made more sense if Ford had placed panels on either side to conceal those huge bulging wheel wells.

Second disappointment was the lack of split seats. At least the ZXI and Titanium should have had this option.

Third minor disappointment: The structure of the rear seat makes it uncomfortable for a passenger to sit in the middle as this portion is elevated. I really don't know what purpose it serves by elevating the middle portion of the rear seat, when you expect a third person to be sitting in the rear seat.

Same findings as of me. Good review. All are 100% correct for me too.

Quote:
Thats the Hallmark of American culture. Do things the opposite way.
But we are indians and used to the british culture. Many find difficult. But not a problem for me as i have only drove a wagon r from maruti driving school till date, so i can change habit easily.
Old 7th April 2010, 10:19   #1569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the contrary, the thread you have suggested has voted overwhelmingly for RHS indicator controls for the RHS drive. Having driven the Matiz for 3 years and the Alto since the last two years, I prefer the Alto RHS indicator controls.

I fully agree with the views below:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1820067
Like I said, drive a car with the indicators on the left side for a few days and come back here and post your views. I don't really care what that thread says. I have driven cars with indicators on the right side all my life and I feel the right position is on the left side. Especially if you are a right handed person. You never have to take your right hand off the steering wheel when you want to engage the indicators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerala View Post
In my city i can't go beyond 30 kmph in due to the small road and huge traffic, i think doesn't need airbag and abs.
That's your view and I respect it. Saying airbags and ABS is not useful in the city is rather shortsighted in my opinion. I hope you had a look at the two TD cars that were crashed in Bangalore. I bet the avg speeds are even lower than 30 in Bangalore.

So did you get any update beyond the vague april 3rd week date?

Last edited by Gilead : 7th April 2010 at 10:22.
Old 7th April 2010, 10:30   #1570
BHPian

@mkerala: Software reselling and selling cars are two different things, we can't compare apples and oranges. No offense meant
I was just trying to put a perspective towards the issue as to why the delay may be so, i may be totally wrong too. its just my take on the issue. i never said only 1 or 2 cars it was just an example.
Old 7th April 2010, 10:36   #1571
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That's your view and I respect it. Saying airbags and ABS is not useful in the city is rather shortsighted in my opinion. I hope you had a look at the two TD cars that were crashed in Bangalore. I bet the avg speeds are even lower than 30 in Bangalore.
It's still not mandated by law that ABS, EBD, Airbags etc are mandatory safety features. Sadly until then we will argue about it's use, benefit etc. and evaluate it like do we need alloy wheels, ACC etc.

When the price difference isn't too much please invest on safety features. I sincerely wish you will never ever come across a situation when you will use it (ABS or Airbag). BUT I BET that you will never regret investing on it.

Common all of us pay personal medical, accident Insurance right? Do we evaluate like this?

P.S: I had to skip the Fiesta with Airbags coz the diff between the ZXi (ABS with EBD) and the SXi/S (+Airbags) was more than a lakh when I bought.
Old 7th April 2010, 10:37   #1572
BHPian

Quote:
Like I said, drive a car with the indicators on the left side for a few days and come back here and post your views. I don't really care what that thread says. I have driven cars with indicators on the right side all my life and I feel the right position is on the left side. Especially if you are a right handed person. You never have to take your right hand off the steering wheel when you want to engage the indicators.

80% of the time, I drive with one hand on the steering wheel (right hand) and one hand on the gear knob (left hand). This is because frequent gear shifts are required in city traffic. One doesn't really have to take one's hands off the steering wheel to push the indicator stalks. Just reaching behind the wheel with the fingers will do. This is mainly because your push the stalks before taking the turn and at this stage, your steering is pointed forward and your right hand is already near the indicator stalk. Only if you engage indicators mid-turn will you need to take your hand off the wheel, which is no the right thing to do anyway.

If its the case of a left hand drive vehicle, I would find it more comfortable for indicator to be on the left side as my right hand would be on the gear knob.
Old 7th April 2010, 10:40   #1573
BANNED

Quote:

In my opinion

1) cars with steering on the RHS are Safer(than cars with steerings on the LHS) as the driver shifts gears with left hand & right hand is always on the steering

2) cars with steering on the RHS & Indicators on the left of the wheel are even MORE SAFER(than cars mentioned in point 1) as the driver can operate the indicators & light beams with his right hand having full control of the steering wheel.

I have driven & owned 3 cars of point 1 type & 2 cars of point 2 type.
I find point 2 type cars much better,convenient & safer.
Old 7th April 2010, 10:40   #1574
BHPian

I'm left handed, but use my right hand more. So I should be happy with any arrangement. When I eat any item, I can use a spoon with my left hand and eat with my right hand. Indicators should be easy.
Even during the TD, I made a mental note about the switch. And it was easy after that. The habit will form.

If someone gifted you a American Ferrari with its Steering on the left, are you going to be complaining. Just transplant that same feeling here. Its not going to be a gift, but the Figo is a good car anyway.

In such a case, aren't the Bullet gears also switched. Thats more dangerous IMO(if you are used to the conventional type of bike).

Last edited by Brix : 7th April 2010 at 10:42.
Old 7th April 2010, 10:47   #1575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
P.S: I had to skip the Fiesta with Airbags coz the diff between the ZXi (ABS with EBD) and the SXi/S (+Airbags) was more than a lakh when I bought.
That's ok. All of us have a budget and we can only buy what falls within that. If one can afford an ABS/Airbags car within your budget, one should definitely buy it. Skimping on these features just because one can install better alloys, ICE and other accessories with the money saved is rather dumb.

Last edited by Gilead : 7th April 2010 at 10:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks