Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2010, 17:51   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Congrats alstonlobo,

Great car, can you also take us thro what were the decision criteria that led to choosing Beat..
Anyway, she is a hell of a looker. Keep revving.

Thanks xingamazon!

Sometime in the first week of January I was contemplating on buying a car.

My daily travel involves 15 kms in total.

I wanted a car which should be a petrol city hatchback, comfy for 5 people, not the regular Marutis (no offence to Maruti owners) which every neighbour of mine has.

Should be within 5L.

Exterior looks were not a major concern for me when it comes to a car.
Interiors were a priority since that's the place where I will literally be. The plastics on other cars did not live upto my expectations.

Boot space was not a major concern as I am a office goer and on weekends its just me and my parents and a few shopping bags.

Wanted the new car to be literally NEW and Beat came in the market at just the right time. Read GTO's review a hundred times and finally decided to buy it. Did a test drive and booked one right away. If given a chance to decide on a car all over again I would still go for the BEAT LT!
Old 24th March 2010, 18:29   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumya_Ramesh View Post
The car looks stunning. Great choice of color. I bet it will be the king on the roads soon. GM keep up the good work, you are rightly getting your first step towards the top.

thanks Soumya! I agree with you completely!
Old 24th March 2010, 21:12   #63
BHPian

Went on a 200 kms drive to Ujire with mom, aunt and two of my cousins, makes that a total of 5 on board. With AC on auto mode and smooth roads, we crusied at average 50km/h. Throughout the journey did not feel tired a bit. Ride quality, handling and seating comfort is perfect. Full marks for the Beat

Attached two pics from the trip
Attached Thumbnails
Review:  My new Chevrolet Beat-image0444.jpg  

Review:  My new Chevrolet Beat-image0446.jpg  

Old 25th March 2010, 10:19   #64
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase astonlobo. The beat is a lovely car and just yesterday one of my friend took delivery of the LT option pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post

The LT (O) model with Airbag ABS isn’t out yet! is it true? they advised it will take at least 3 months for Air bag/ABS to be available!
Actually my friend had booked the LT option pack in Feb 1st week and they had told him that they'll give delivery by the end of Feb. then they postponed it to March 1st week and finally they said that they will give delivery only by April end. My friend got pissed off and shot of letters to both GM & Sundaram motors saying that if he did not get the vehicle by March 31st, he would cancel his booking and blah blah blah (it was quite a long letter)

I must appreciate GM & Sundaram here for their quick response. They talked to him and offered him the car but in a different colour. He accepted and took delivery of the car yesterday evening.
Old 25th March 2010, 10:32   #65
Senior - BHPian

GMI seems to have got another winner here and surprisingly it has added sales, not just taken them away from the Spark. If they sell about 4000 of these a month, and VWI and Figo together go for 6000, thats a 10000 cars loss of market share for some makes. That is a big bite. And a great time to be a small hatch buyer.
My 2 cents on the wax and other polishes = in a dusty country like ours I have found that wax is not such a good idea. All it takes to keep the car in mint condition is a good car shampoo, and enough water to rinse it away well, done a couple of days or so, in the shade. And leaving the car out of the sun as much as possible. And avoiding parking under trees that can drop fruit and other residue on the body. If you use AC all the time and keep the windows up, that keeps the interiors in good shape for years too.
Enjoy the car! I assume this also has the cashless three year service package.
PS: and every two months, I would take the car to a ramp for pressure wash of the underbody and engine compartment.

Last edited by Sawyer : 25th March 2010 at 10:37.
Old 25th March 2010, 11:09   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Congratulations on your purchase astonlobo. The beat is a lovely car and just yesterday one of my friend took delivery of the LT option pack.

Actually my friend had booked the LT option pack in Feb 1st week and they had told him that they'll give delivery by the end of Feb. then they postponed it to March 1st week and finally they said that they will give delivery only by April end. My friend got pissed off and shot of letters to both GM & Sundaram motors saying that if he did not get the vehicle by March 31st, he would cancel his booking and blah blah blah (it was quite a long letter)

I must appreciate GM & Sundaram here for their quick response. They talked to him and offered him the car but in a different colour. He accepted and took delivery of the car yesterday evening.

I did the same dude! Made a song and dance regarding delivery and told them I am cancelling booking and going for another brand, they knew that they would lose a customer!

And lo, within a week my car got delivered and here I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
GMI seems to have got another winner here and surprisingly it has added sales, not just taken them away from the Spark. If they sell about 4000 of these a month, and VWI and Figo together go for 6000, thats a 10000 cars loss of market share for some makes. That is a big bite. And a great time to be a small hatch buyer.
My 2 cents on the wax and other polishes = in a dusty country like ours I have found that wax is not such a good idea. All it takes to keep the car in mint condition is a good car shampoo, and enough water to rinse it away well, done a couple of days or so, in the shade. And leaving the car out of the sun as much as possible. And avoiding parking under trees that can drop fruit and other residue on the body. If you use AC all the time and keep the windows up, that keeps the interiors in good shape for years too.
Enjoy the car! I assume this also has the cashless three year service package.
PS: and every two months, I would take the car to a ramp for pressure wash of the underbody and engine compartment.

Thanks a lot for the in depth advice bro! I do an underbody check before leaving every morning just to make sure no cats are under there. It surely is clean down there at the moment. It has already clocked 600+ kms and will be due for a first check up by next week, so should be sparkling when I get her back.

I definitely use AC all the time and cover the windscreen with shades when parked in sunlight.

I am definitely going to do my best to keep her clean but the rains will play spoilsport in a few months time. I hate the sight of slush on the chasis and underbody!
Old 28th March 2010, 19:00   #67
BHPian

Let us know how the check up went. Also , not sure if I missed it but did you pay for the 3 year service thingy? How does that work ?
Old 29th March 2010, 22:06   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
Let us know how the check up went. Also , not sure if I missed it but did you pay for the 3 year service thingy? How does that work ?

Pretty soon the car shall be completing 1000 kms and will be due for first service. I am not sure about the 3 years service stuff but I was told that it would cost me labor charges (still not clear on this issue) will check and let you know.
Old 29th March 2010, 22:08   #69
BHPian

Clicked the hyper cool 'Blue' lit stereo, AC, speedo and tacho consoles.
Attached Thumbnails
Review:  My new Chevrolet Beat-image820.jpg  

Review:  My new Chevrolet Beat-image821.jpg  

Old 30th March 2010, 02:39   #70
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic pics, thanks for sharing them with us. It really does look very cool.

Do you have any idea about how expensive the spare parts are for the Beat? In particular, the headlamps?
Old 30th March 2010, 04:26   #71
BHPian

the only thing that i feel is not right about this car is, the speedo cluster
the speedo meter should have been in the lcd and the rpm meter should have been in the speedos place. then it would had been a killer.
Old 30th March 2010, 08:23   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alias View Post
the speedo meter should have been in the lcd and the rpm meter should have been in the speedos place. then it would had been a killer.
You definitely made a good point.
Old 30th March 2010, 10:36   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Fantastic pics, thanks for sharing them with us. It really does look very cool.

Do you have any idea about how expensive the spare parts are for the Beat? In particular, the headlamps?
No idea yet buddy

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
You definitely made a good point.

Never found that to be a bother, but it does its job well for me
Old 30th March 2010, 10:39   #74
BHPian

Quote:
I fully agree with you alias.Secondly there should have been a red marking or so for the limt.As far as I Know,the Aveo RS that has been recently unveiled has the speedo in LCD and the rpm is analogue.
Old 30th March 2010, 22:10   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-one View Post
I fully agree with you alias.Secondly there should have been a red marking or so for the limt.As far as I Know,the Aveo RS that has been recently unveiled has the speedo in LCD and the rpm is analogue.

So would this one issue stop you from buying the car?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks