Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2010, 19:20   #181
mkh
Senior - BHPian

The First Long Drive

Well, the much awaited chance came about. We had a planned outing to Yercaud, a much awaited annual event for our group of people associated with us and it was time to see what all that "H"ype is about!
Started off in the morning at 6:30AM and once on the Hosur Road( did not take the express way at that time of the day expecting a smooth run) it was thrilling to see a new character emerge of the "H" machine.
It was a joy just to let it go above 80 and once it touched 100, it was clear why the premium is demanded. The ride was amazingly smooth and comfortable.
Clearly the car is in its BEST between 100-120 and above that, it does tell you to take it easy. In fact i have seen with most cars that i have driven that the ideal speed is 100-120 and no more, as our roads are also not that predicatable.
It was a JOY to see the avg/l indicator climb and at one stage touch 24.6!!!
I promptly had a pic taken to capture this moment, though it was shortlived as i was in the mood to cross 100 all the time seeing the clean stretch on a weekday
Stopped at the all time favourite on that route- the A2B and took some pics. Loaded Fuel there, set the meter to 0 and moved on.
Felt tempted to push it to the limit once on the L&T road and went upto 140 for a short run, felt that it lacks enough control for sure( though i really do not know what it is to be in control at that speed as never driven a car that felt composed- including a fiesta at that speed)
Took some pics in a very pretty setting with some sunlight falling through the trees, giving a most stunning effect of the hard work put on the surface
Reached Yearcaud in 4 hours excluding the stop over as went very slowly on the climb. Never felt underpowered at all with 3 people and 1 kid.
The fuel average dropped rapidly from 20 to 16 in the 1 hour climb as expected, but amazed to see that it stayed at 20 till the climb started.
We went to Shevaroys temple ground on the second day morning and it was a great experience. This place is about 8 kms climb up and completely FOGGED up and windy. Its an open ground, which looked as if was an entertainment ground as had kids rides which were abandoned now. Took some pics there too, to try out my photography skills, but clearly a lot left to learn!
Return trip had the lower mileage as it was more of a climb than downhill and got 16-17 all through the trip. This after doing 150 a couple of times again on the L&T road, do not recommend those speeds at all unless maybe got wider tyres( not sure even then its worth it). The BEST ride is 100-110 and with michelins there was no question of any road noise. Added to that the super silent engine, its a joy to cruise along. Had a full load while coming back with 4 adults incl me and a kid.
Overall stats:
Total Kms Run: 500(including 40 kms within yercaud)
Total Fuel Filled( full tank to full tank): 28
Mileage: About 17.85- this is AWESOME considering that 2nd service has not been done and the average speed hovered about 100-110 with short bursts of 130-140 and MAX 150

Now looking forward to seeing the effect of this in city usage as i am expecting things to have "opened up" and the run to be smoother. Felt clearly a lot better when went out today, hope to see the joy of city drive of the "City"
Will post pics later, got some connection issues.
Old 6th September 2010, 12:05   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
It was a JOY to see the avg/l indicator climb and at one stage touch 24.6!!!

The fuel average dropped rapidly from 20 to 16 in the 1 hour climb as expected, but amazed to see that it stayed at 20 till the climb started.

Return trip had the lower mileage as it was more of a climb than downhill and got 16-17 all through the trip.

Overall stats:
Total Kms Run: 500(including 40 kms within yercaud)
Total Fuel Filled( full tank to full tank): 28
Mileage: About 17.85- this is AWESOME considering that 2nd service has not been done and the average speed hovered about 100-110 with short bursts of 130-140 and MAX 150
Great mileage figures there. I might get a chance to see something similar with my ANHC when we take a long drive the coming weekend. Would be waiting for the pics from your trip.
Old 6th September 2010, 13:06   #183
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
Great mileage figures there. I might get a chance to see something similar with my ANHC when we take a long drive the coming weekend. Would be waiting for the pics from your trip.
Surely you would, just take care not to jack rabbit and change gears at about 2k-2.5K RPM range. It hardly makes a difference of a few minutes to reach our destination but a big difference in the hole thats made to our pockets.
Just today i reached office, 11.5 kms drive and i had reset the meter to 0, the indicator is showing 15.5 now
Honda engines are a class apart for sure.
Old 6th September 2010, 13:12   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Honda engines are a class apart for sure.
No doubt about it, even for A/T they are just great. The results on average is direct reflection of how you drive it. I witness it every day and now its kind of a game to me i.e. change the driving style and guess the average
Old 7th September 2010, 14:25   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastFieast View Post
I witness it every day and now its kind of a game to me i.e. change the driving style and guess the average
Very true ! I am also into experimenting every day with driving style and so far able to extract around 12 kmpl in city driving condition (Display show around (12.9 to 13.2).

I must admit that I am now getting addicted to keep the bar graph half full all the time. Best thing is that when you need the power (to overtake) Honda City does not dissapoint you.
Old 7th September 2010, 15:18   #186
BHPian

While acheiving better mileage figures is on one side, the other side is where the dream of driving this wonderful machine is. Everyday after a strenous work it is indeed such a pleasure driving home with the city. Huh! I still have to wait another 2 hours to get my hands on the steering wheel.
A feeling that is only felt than described.

Last edited by jayanth_yk : 7th September 2010 at 15:19.
Old 7th September 2010, 15:42   #187
BHPian

Have to agree with all. It is an amazing experience to drive this car even in city crawls. I have the AT and within city managed to achieve an average of 17.8 km/l, although just for about 100 kms driving. Overall it is closer to 11 km/l due to the daily bumper to bumper crawl.

Just itching to get the opportunity to take it out on a long drive and experience the car.
Old 7th September 2010, 17:17   #188
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram_NP View Post
Very true ! I am also into experimenting every day with driving style and so far able to extract around 12 kmpl in city driving condition (Display show around (12.9 to 13.2).

I must admit that I am now getting addicted to keep the bar graph half full all the time. Best thing is that when you need the power (to overtake) Honda City does not disappoint you.
One great thing that this bar has achieved for me is that i just do not accelerate about 100 meters before the expected stop on my usual route and love to see the inefficient drivers brake just before the humps and waste fuel.
If someone has notices, a few times if you slot into a higher gear and do not accelerate on a smooth run, it just runs almost as if no resistance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayanth_yk View Post
While acheiving better mileage figures is on one side, the other side is where the dream of driving this wonderful machine is. Everyday after a strenous work it is indeed such a pleasure driving home with the city. Huh! I still have to wait another 2 hours to get my hands on the steering wheel.
A feeling that is only felt than described.
Ditto- its a very comfy ride indeed and getting better. Hope your 2 hours are over by now
Old 7th September 2010, 19:30   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Ditto- its a very comfy ride indeed and getting better. Hope your 2 hours are over by now
The sad part is 2 hours is long gone. I am now off the steering wheel. Looking forward to the morning.
Old 8th September 2010, 12:33   #190
BHPian

Great mileage buddy. Sure you wouldn't have got this mileage if you had gone for the fiesta.

On the other hand, the fiesta does feel a lot steadier at speeds you've gone at, though you felt on the contrary. Not sure about the petrol, but the diesel does seem steady, that too on stock ZVTS tyres (no comparison to German cars here).
Old 9th September 2010, 00:07   #191
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
Great mileage buddy. Sure you wouldn't have got this mileage if you had gone for the fiesta.

On the other hand, the fiesta does feel a lot steadier at speeds you've gone at, though you felt on the contrary. Not sure about the petrol, but the diesel does seem steady, that too on stock ZVTS tyres (no comparison to German cars here).
Actually i drove a friends fiesta diesel and it was not too different,i guess i am not someone who relishes a high speed drive unless in a large car like i was in the US sometime back where 80-90miles/hr was also fine(roads too are much better)
I am quite happy going for the ANHC over the fiesta where i would have gone in for the diesel for sure and with a low running, would not have felt as good as a refined petrol. That said- fiesta is still the best to drive if looking to have spirited drives and push the car hard.
Old 17th September 2010, 19:59   #192
Team-BHP Support

the new honda city!

we recently got a fiery red SMT. n boy is a beauty to drive or what!

w.r.t. the above comments, i'd like to add my experience..

i recently had been on a road trip from gurgaon to amritsar.. it gave me about 17.9 km/hr for the entire trip (varying from 20km/hr to 12-15km/hr in the jams in the diversions and also on the water logged patches)..

i also drive a 1.4 Corsa which gives me 12-13km/hr at best.. so i think the City is very commendable when it comes to mileage..

what i love about the City :
- the beige tone interiors
- the overall console..
- the handling..

however it lets me down on 2 counts :

- a squeaky horn.. the moment i hear it anywhere on the rd, i am sure its a City! i think it needs a massive tweaking to suit such an elegant car..
- the engine cover.. i was shocked not to find a protective engine cover for the area of the bonnet to the extent that i thought it was stolen n called the showroom! the Corsa i have has a thick rubber sheet which covers the entire length and breadth of the engine..

but overall, i am mighty impressed with this version!
Old 17th September 2010, 20:52   #193
BHPian

libranof1987,
Please share your experience with some pics in a new thread.
Old 17th September 2010, 23:18   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Don't think i will be, does not really add any value as will be 90% city driven( as like its name!) Will be adding alloys first thing for sure.

I got the same from Dakshin also, both places 15K, maybe depends on the category of the co?

Depends on the co u work for, has little to do with the leasing co. I know places where road tax and insurance is not paid by co(like my previous co's else i would be probably onto my 3rd or 4th sedan)
The ex-showroom is funded and routed as EMI through your salary and you end up saving tax on it. I hope the benefit does not reduce with the direct tax code coming in next year. Its kinda complicated but to put in simple words, that's how it works. Another advantage- co will renew insurance also( in my case) every year.
but in this case car is not yours you have to run it for few kms etc like it has limit of 45k KM etc also if u want to keep the car after 3 yrs of lease, the cost of ownership is damn expensive. Co lease not a great idea...they vasool everything with interest.
Old 20th September 2010, 20:25   #195
Team-BHP Support

hi jayanth..

ive posted a new thread bout my experience with the City..

check it out at
Team-BHP > Indian Cars > Team-BHP Reviews.. new honda city 1.5 SMT

cheers!

Most Viewed