Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2011, 23:22   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Superior White Alto K10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
Sirji, there could be some truth in this because the first oil change does bring in some improvement in performance. I've seen this in my other car.

BTW I did the first long drive in my K10 yesterday. I'm curious what my highway mileage would be.
Then it means I will have to wait for 10000 kms for that F C . because first oil change is at 10000 kms.

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 26th May 2011 at 23:23.
Old 27th May 2011, 00:05   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Then it means I will have to wait for 10000 kms for that F C . because first oil change is at 10000 kms.
Sirji,

I just checked the mileage after a recent 200+ km drive that included about 60% highway driving (some hill climbing too). I seem to have got ~15 kmpl. The number may not be very accurate since I did not do a tank full to start with. I'm quite positive now about the FE - I mean I don't think I need to be concerned.

As others mentioned the low mileage in your case might be because of short runs. I suggest you do check your FE after a decently long highway drive.

Last edited by CBlazer : 27th May 2011 at 00:11.
Old 27th May 2011, 00:41   #138
BHPian

Congrats! Looks lovely in white! enjoy the ride.

Errr couldn't help noticing that t-shirt. That has to be kinda rare these days I guess? Perhaps its just a statement. Or there are takers for that? Different era, forgive my ignorance of the happenings of this day! But like I said, Lovely color!
Old 27th May 2011, 23:09   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Boss, I have been called by SPECTRA MOTORS on 1st June for accurate FC with help of the apparatus they install it in the car and go for FC test. ( Unlike Tank Full To Tank Full) method which is done by these A.S.S. for the sake of doing the test of FC.

I will post pics and full report on it , kindly bear with me till then.
Iwill report this episode from the beginning till end .
Old 9th June 2011, 21:20   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Boss, I have been called by SPECTRA MOTORS on 1st June for accurate FC with help of the apparatus they install it in the car and go for FC test. ( Unlike Tank Full To Tank Full) method which is done by these A.S.S. for the sake of doing the test of FC.

Guys it did not work out on first june due to some unavoidable reasons , now it is lined up for tomorrow,in fact I will carry todays MUMBAI MIRROR news paper with me which has a advrt saying a lady driving ALTO K10 got 36 km/ltr and another guy got 34 kms/ltr ,and both are rewarded by
Maruti, it looks to me they are MUL employees and may have done some tricky driving.Tomorrow some one will be born with record of 90 kms/ltr.

Maruti as usual gave full page advert today saying their cars are Fuel Efficient. as of today it is a big joke to me as I am at receiving end.After tomorrow if they do some miracle to the car I may find the difference then it will be another story.
Old 10th June 2011, 12:38   #141
Senior - BHPian

My K10 suddenly dropped FE from 13-15 to 10 after 7th tank. Diagnosed to bad fuel. Will avoid this bunk. The next tank seems to be OK.

For those who may be interested here are the fuel bars against distance traveled

9 : 50-70
8 : 80-110
7 : 135-160
6 : 170-210
5 : 200-265
4 : 260-290
3 : 300-340
2 : 335-395
1 : 380-430
blink : 400-450

Best 460km, worst 373km on tank full
Average petrol filled after "blink" is 31.5 litres.

This is barring my tank-7 which gave me 220 on bar-4, I filled up with 21L at that point. Now the bar-9 has come after 70km.
Old 12th June 2011, 20:43   #142
Senior - BHPian

Finally got to drive on the Highway. Today took my K10 for Delhi to Ambala for a ride. Started at 10:30 reached "Puran ka Dhaba" in 3:45min. Returned home by 6:30. Total journey time was 8 hours including lunch and stop on the way to buy "Kharbuja". Here are statistics

Total Distance 445km
Max speed : 100km/h
Normal speed : 80-90 km/h

As I had consumed 90km after last filling, and the last tank gave an average of 11, the trip FE is around 19.5km/L with full AC. The day was hot ~ 40 and the AC excellent for two of us.

Will get the final figures once I fill up the tank tomorrow. Even if I get 19km/l with AC, one tank full on highway will last 590km on 31L, there will still be about 4L left. Without AC I estimate at least 22 which results in 680km/tank or 700 if you take one liter off the reserve, that is enough for a round trip to Shimla in winter!

So folks those who are getting very low FE in city, blame it on the traffic. To get the real FE go take a ride on the highway.

As discussed in other threads, my K10 was feeling sluggish after all the short distance travels (< 2km) over 10 months of ownership. Once on the highway, the engine transformed itself within 60km, and got the throaty growl and lightning response from the pedal. I recommend this rejuvenating therapy; both for the car and yourself; if you are always doing city circuits.
Old 13th June 2011, 03:04   #143
BHPian

10000 Kms report

Hello friends
My Alto K10 (The first on Team-bhp) has already crunched 10000 kms on its odometer. Had completed this big mile some time back but due to some work i could not write up. Certain things that i would share with you guys considering covering up so many miles.

Firstly there have not been any major issue that i have faced till now. Will be completing one year of acquisition in coming august but uptil now i dont have anything on my part that i would consider as complaint for this machine.

The tyre grip is good and bridgestone tyres are going on very well. Havent got a single puncture till now, that might be because of moderate roads. But still certain areas in my city wherein easy for tyres to get punctured. The tyres have a very good road grip too while driving at higher speeds.

The air conditioner works much better as compared to the older 800cc Alto. In the scorching summer wherein the temperature use to be around 40, the air conditioner worked very well in maintaining inside temperature around 22-24.

The car usually runs on air conditioner and the fuel efficiency i have been getting till now is the range of 17-18 KMPL. On highways i am getting it around 22-23 with air conditioner. I have calculated FE figures based on tank to tank fill up method. Also i get the tank filled up from a regular petrol pump and no where else.

The engine is just fantastic. Even today when i start the engine, it feels fresh as if the first day of the car. Even with air conditioner on, there isnt any jerkiness that could be felt in lower gears. The engine is very responsive to the gas pedal. Pressure your feet on the pedal, and the car just zooms up. It is indeed a pocket monster.

Since this is my first report i have tried to cover up things that i felt important to share over here.
Attached Thumbnails
My Superior White Alto K10-20110517142414.jpg  

Old 14th June 2011, 22:39   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

On 10th I went to go to Spectra Mototrs at Malad for the Fuel consumption test,
I reached the place at 10 AM and was told that the car will be taken in without any delay.
I waited at their customer waiting area sipping hot coffee in cool weather with rains in full force.
The car was taken inside the work shop and work on it started.
They checked all parameters and then attatched the ECONOTEST
instrument to it .
It is having too many components,Fuel lines,fuel filters,sensors,fuel lines,electrical cords, sockets etc attatched to MPFI
Iwas told to come in the car with a service adviser and a attendant who was to operate the ECONOTEST meter sitting next to driver.

Now about ECONOMETER it is very sensitive computer with too many parameters being shown in it.
We went out of the work shop and towards highway, with the instrument in OFF mode.
Once we reached highway this S A parked in the side and asked his assistant to set the test ON.
He pressed many keys which were showing Kms/Hrs/Fuel in ml/and many more.
The S A asked me to see the meter is in O position and he set the odo meter on O and he told me that we will take highway test with AC in ON position cover distance of about 10 to 15 kms.
We set out on highway towards Dahisar and he was driving normally with AC ,no tricky driving, and no driving in neutral and rolling etc.

After taking U turn before Dahisar he drove till Andheri and then back towards Malad, He stopped the car on the side and his assistant calculated it on the instrument it read 998ml of petrol with distance covered 16.86kms.
One test over (Highway driving with AC got result of 16.85 kms/ltr .
He switched the instrument in OFF mode and told me that now we will take city traffic run test with AC.

We entered Malad from Highway , he stopped the car again set the instrument to O for the test.
We were driving innot very congested but reasonable traffic with at times idleling at signals, here again we got result of 14.31kms/ltr.

Now last but least city traffic without AC here again whole exercise was reapeated and the result was 15.32kms/ltr.
We were back to work shop he told me to wait for the print out of the results of the tests while his assistant dismantlled the ECONOTEST meter I took some photos of the meter as well as during tests.
This instrument they say cost around 4 lakhs.
This test was absolutely FREE for me.It took almost 5 hrs for the entire test.I mut thank them for this service provided to me.

I will top up the tank on sunday and see the results.
Attached Thumbnails
My Superior White Alto K10-photo0051.jpg  

My Superior White Alto K10-photo0053.jpg  

My Superior White Alto K10-photo0054.jpg  

My Superior White Alto K10-photo0056.jpg  

My Superior White Alto K10-photo0060.jpg  

My Superior White Alto K10-photo0061.jpg  

My Superior White Alto K10-photo0062.jpg  

My Superior White Alto K10-photo0063.jpg  

IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 01:05   #145
Senior - BHPian

Thank you IQBAL VEERJI for this invaluable information. I too will have my Swift tested for fuel consumption at MSM using this 'Econotester'.
Old 1st July 2011, 00:42   #146

Namaste - I have noted with interest the comments on the fuel consumption of this vehicle. May I introduce mysef - my name is Peter Kirchem and I am the Managing Director of Econotest Engineering in the UK who manufacture the equipment that has been used to test this vehicle.
As this is an open forum I have no intention of making any postings that have any sort of commercial slant - anyway I get fed up with work after 5pm!! - but if I can in any way contribute to the discussion on the general topic of fuel consumption I would be delighted to do so. We do alot of fuel consumption testing and have done so for over 20 years and with the appalling price of petrol and diesel it has become a very emotive and relevant topic these days. If anyone has any questions or comments do let me know.
I have been to India many many times in conjunction with our work and love the country . Indeed I was in Jaipur only a few weeks ago where I visited a Maruti garage and saw for myself this great car. Peter
Old 3rd July 2011, 17:14   #147
Senior - BHPian

Freinds today being sunday I wanted to utilize it for a good cause.
There was a problem with horn in my tigress (K10) right from first day. Actually the original horn which Maruti gives with K10 belongs to a scooter or a moped it is to cut cost by Maruti.
Then I went and got a Bosch horn set with guarantee (made in india).
The sound was just a little better but not as wanted by me and not as good as earlier imported Bosch horns used to be.

I kept on using it till saturday when sound was actually dying. When I spoke to the shopkeeper from whom I had brought, the joker said "Saab compony mein Bhejna Padega" ,then wait like an idiot for the claim to be passed, TYPICAL INDIAN MENTALITY.Till then you are without a horn.Many times same horn comes back to you with claim not passed with reason "PAANI ANDAR GAYA HAI".

I went to chore bazar today and as usual went to Kasam Bhai aka PATEL,
he is the senior guy with white beard, I know him for the last 45 yrs. He is more or less retired,His team and sons handle the show,He has a team of 7 to 8 guys doing things for him, probably highest work force among chore bazar vendors.
His guy opened up the horn serviced it ,cleaned the points, adjusted the sound ,all took 1 hrs and the DAMAGE 50/- including removing and refitting the horns. It sounds as I wanted it .Regards
Attached Thumbnails
My Superior White Alto K10-photo0137.jpg  

My Superior White Alto K10-photo0134.jpg  

My Superior White Alto K10-photo0133.jpg  

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 3rd July 2011 at 17:17.
Old 6th July 2011, 23:31   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econotest View Post
Namaste - I have noted with interest the comments on the fuel consumption of this vehicle. May I introduce mysef - my name is Peter Kirchem and I am the Managing Director of Econotest Engineering in the UK who manufacture the equipment that has been used to test this vehicle.
As this is an open forum I have no intention of making any postings that have any sort of commercial slant - anyway I get fed up with work after 5pm!! - but if I can in any way contribute to the discussion on the general topic of fuel consumption I would be delighted to do so. We do alot of fuel consumption testing and have done so for over 20 years and with the appalling price of petrol and diesel it has become a very emotive and relevant topic these days. If anyone has any questions or comments do let me know.
I have been to India many many times in conjunction with our work and love the country . Indeed I was in Jaipur only a few weeks ago where I visited a Maruti garage and saw for myself this great car. Peter
Sir,apology for replying so late, the ECONOTEST they did on my car , and they gave me some print outs of which I could not undrstand head and tail I am not satisfied with the tests and the car is back with poor FE.The figures and milae they gave me are not at all matching.
During the test the assistant kept on pressin g some buttons .Pls help and say what are correct step by step methedology , so I can pull them up and see for the correct steps followed or not , or they are fooling us around with the machine.
Pls notify your next visit to Mumbai,Regards

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 6th July 2011 at 23:35.
Old 8th July 2011, 09:21   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir,apology for replying so late, the ECONOTEST they did on my car , and they gave me some print outs of which I could not undrstand head and tail I am not satisfied with the tests and the car is back with poor FE.The figures and milae they gave me are not at all matching.
During the test the assistant kept on pressin g some buttons .Pls help and say what are correct step by step methedology , so I can pull them up and see for the correct steps followed or not , or they are fooling us around with the machine.
Pls notify your next visit to Mumbai,Regards
The FE depends wholly on the driving style and traffic. My K10 has given me FE as low as 10km/l in dense stop-and-go traffic with full AC, and as high as 19+km/l on highway at 90-100, mostly on the fifth gear, with full AC.

As I have expressed in some other thread, my M800 gave an FE of just 3km/l during Pujas, when I was traveling between pandals with AC using second and third gear. The same car gave 20+ without AC on Delhi-Kalka run, and 6 on the Chail Turnoff-Chail-back to turnoff in winter with snow, slow drive in second and third.

So to actually check the FE you should take a long drive on the highway, say 200-400km round trip. Fill up the tank at the beginning and then at the end of the journey. Drive at 90-100 in fifth gear and you will get an indication of what is possible (that is as close to the claimed FE, as possible). What you get in daily commute is coloured by the congestion and driving style. My observation is that if you never hit the fifth gear, your FE will be below 16 km/l, and if you are always stuck in dense traffic then you will be lucky to get 12 with AC.

NOTE that contrary to popular belief, going in too low a speed for the gear (slogging) actually decrease the FE. For the K10 I have found that appropriate gears are

1st - 10 - 20 - 30
2nd - 20 - 40 - 90
3rd - 30 - 60 - 100
4th - 40 - 80 - 120
5th - 60+
The first set of figures are when you are traveling at a steady pace, the second when you are accelerating and the third the maximum (used on highways for fast overtaking). I normally take the second to 90+ and then move to fifth when overtaking on the highway (and got 19+km/l with AC)
Old 14th July 2011, 00:45   #150

Iqbal,
Well I also went ahead and bought the Alto K10 VXi(Delivery - 07/07/11).
I loved the superior white on your car. I got myself a Ecru Beige and I am pleasantly surprised by the spark it gives!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks