Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2010, 11:47   #31
Senior - BHPian

Looks nice and must be a nice drive too!
Congrats on the first K10 ownership report in tbhp.
Old 21st August 2010, 13:25   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_wrench View Post
Wow, I was just scrolling through this thread wondering if it was just me who thought this! LOL, you beat me to it!

Otherwise, congrats on the new car! This really looks like a great upgrade from the the old car. Well done.
Yes, the first day when i was out with my friend even he told me the same thing. That its a mini version of accent. Front looks too good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Nice pictures. Congrats on the purchase. The K-10 Alto IMHO looks better than the Zen Estilo and the new Wagon-R. I only wish Maruti were thoughtful enough to provide a rear windscreen wiper and a defogger on this car, atleast on the VXi variant.

Also noticed that you car had only 6km on the ODO during delivery. Inconsequential as it might sound, I personally feel good to know the car hasn't been "driven" much before it is delivered to you. Have seen some cars with temporary numbers being driven quite rash to the showroom.
Thank You for wishes. I was thinking the same thing. Atleast Vxi variant should have been equipped with rear windscreen wiper and defogger. At the time of delivery the car had driven for 5 kms by the showroom. When i had bought my earlier Alto that was also driven for 5 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Looks nice and must be a nice drive too!
Congrats on the first K10 ownership report in tbhp.
Must tell you the drive is just awesome. Smooth, fast, powerful. The drive surely gives you a feel of power. If scorpio is mighty muscular, this one is pocket sized rocket.
Old 21st August 2010, 15:43   #33
Senior - BHPian

@David Murx - time to update your avatar pic buddy!
Old 21st August 2010, 19:52   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Murx View Post
Must tell you the drive is just awesome. Smooth, fast, powerful. The drive surely gives you a feel of power. If scorpio is mighty muscular, this one is pocket sized rocket.
Man, your latest acquisition is giving me sleepless nights! I too have an Alto LXI 2008 and the urge (the heart-factor) to switch to the Alto K10 keeps poking me each day. More so, since I pass by the Maruti Sai Service stockyard here in Porvorim-Goa every day and I see a number of Alto K10 beauties of various colours dazzling in a line, each one almost luring me to be its next owner.

However -- and this is a big factor -- my head keeps telling my heart to shut up (well, not literally at least) and wait for at least one-two years before going the K10 way. Anyway, have a great time with the K10 and may she give you unadulterated pleasure for the next many years.

By the way, please check if your rear doors have been fitted with the door-close switches (the switches that activate the cabin light if either of the rear door is not closed properly.) Maruti has this notorious tendency to omit these vital switches on rear doors (despite making the provision) especially while supplying Maruti cars here in Goa and customers (like myself) have often ended up fitting them as an official accessory for Rs 30 per switch!

Regards,
Melvyn
Old 21st August 2010, 21:43   #35
BHPian

When i had read the test drive report in our forum it had given me sleepless nights too. i used to see the pictures of the new alto everyday. And my urge to upgrade became more when i did the TD. I have checked and its true that the rear doors are not fitted with the door-close switches. Only front two doors are equipped with it.
Old 21st August 2010, 23:02   #36
BHPian

Quote:
When i had read the test drive report in our forum it had given me sleepless nights too. i used to see the pictures of the new alto everyday. And my urge to upgrade became more when i did the TD. I have checked and its true that the rear doors are not fitted with the door-close switches. Only front two doors are equipped with it.
I don't even want to do a test drive for fear that I may go crazy and may loot the nearest bank of precisely Rs 1.5 L (that's the money I may need to put in addition to the Rs 2 L that I may get for my Alto LXI 2008). How I wish this KB10 option had been available in 2008, when I bought the Alto LXI.

Please get those door-close switches installed as soon as possible. Maruti service centres can easily install it for you. Reason why I'm urging you to install those switches is because the Alto does not always fully close with a clean click and quite often rear passengers end up with a door partially closed. Happens in my Alto all the time. My passengers feel bad to close the door firmly enough (they dread to slam the door lest I glare at them) to fully close the door and often end up with a semi-closed door. Luckily, my cabin light remains on and I can then ask them to close the door more firmly the second time round.

Don't really know why Maruti fails to provide these small and inexpensive safety features. But then, Maruti is known to spring unexpected surprises.

Melvyn
Old 22nd August 2010, 00:07   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
I don't even want to do a test drive for fear that I may go crazy and may loot the nearest bank of precisely Rs 1.5 L (that's the money I may need to put in addition to the Rs 2 L that I may get for my Alto LXI 2008). How I wish this KB10 option had been available in 2008, when I bought the Alto LXI.

Please get those door-close switches installed as soon as possible. Maruti service centres can easily install it for you. Reason why I'm urging you to install those switches is because the Alto does not always fully close with a clean click and quite often rear passengers end up with a door partially closed. Happens in my Alto all the time. My passengers feel bad to close the door firmly enough (they dread to slam the door lest I glare at them) to fully close the door and often end up with a semi-closed door. Luckily, my cabin light remains on and I can then ask them to close the door more firmly the second time round.

Don't really know why Maruti fails to provide these small and inexpensive safety features. But then, Maruti is known to spring unexpected surprises.

Melvyn
Looks you are very excited with the launch of K10 ! If you are planning to upgrade i would suggest you to go for it and just do the "dhan-tenan" ! Thanks for your advice i would definitely put up the door-close switches. Im surprised too because in my Alto 800cc these switches were present and so it was easier to catch up whether the rear doors have been closed properly or not.

Would also like to add up here a little bit. Someone to bring notice to the fellow bhpians. The fuel indicator is now digital in the new Alto. The fuel tank capacity is 35 ltrs and the fuel indicator is shown by 10 blocks. So we can say 3.5 ltrs for each block. I have already driven 76 kms and today the first block is vanished. If calculate the mileage comes to around 21.71. Experts need your help here, can i do such calculation or tank to tank fill up is required to do so ?
Old 22nd August 2010, 01:33   #38
Senior - BHPian

full tank-to-full tank or autocut-to-autocut are the advsable methods.
Fuel gauges are not known to be linear.
Old 22nd August 2010, 16:14   #39
Senior - BHPian

Like i said this thread is going to give a lot of present alto owners sleepless nights.
A tank to full tank will be advisable,but still even compensating for errors you are a getting very good mileage.Whats your travelling like?(highway/city %)
Old 23rd August 2010, 00:04   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Like i said this thread is going to give a lot of present alto owners sleepless nights.
A tank to full tank will be advisable,but still even compensating for errors you are a getting very good mileage.Whats your travelling like?(highway/city %)
Obviouzly, I had also spent sleepless nights after i had done the TD. So its turn for you guys now ! My travelling in city is somewhere around 700 kms and on highways is around 800 kms.

@blackasta - Im missing my baby, my earlier Alto so i think i wont be able change my avatar pic !
Old 23rd August 2010, 10:30   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Would also like to add up here a little bit. Someone to bring notice to the fellow bhpians. The fuel indicator is now digital in the new Alto. The fuel tank capacity is 35 ltrs and the fuel indicator is shown by 10 blocks. So we can say 3.5 ltrs for each block. I have already driven 76 kms and today the first block is vanished. If calculate the mileage comes to around 21.71. Experts need your help here, can i do such calculation or tank to tank fill up is required to do so ?
I would strongly advise you to avoid relying on the digital fuel indicator to calculate your FE and it should be only an indicator to let you know when you need to refill your Alto's tank. Even with an analogue fuel indicator on my Alto LXI, I still prefer the tank-to-tank method to calculate the FE.

I'll explain why. In my Alto LXI 800, there are three white lines on the fuel indication -- at Full, Middle and Low level. When I fill the tank full, the indicator (needle) goes a little above the Full level. As soon as I top the tank, I then press the tripmeter so that the reading goeas to '0.0' to start my mileage test.

I have always noticed that my Alto travels for nearly 100 kms before the fuel indicator needle slips from over-the-Full level to the Full level, a gap of merely about 2-3 mm. Then, the needle drops rapidly between the Full level and the Half level, which is about 2 cms between the F and the M positions. I normally reach about 350 kms when the fuel needle indicator reaches the Half position. Then the needle stays for some time around the Half position, before dropping quickly towards the Low position. I normally reach this Low position when I'm a little over 600 kms on the odometer. Hence, you will notice that my fuel indicator does NOT go down evenly over the distance that I travel, but what is important that the indicator has been very consistent so far, since I'm sure that I can reach about 600-650 kms (given my driving style) when the needle reaches the Low position.

Over the 20-odd times that I have calculated my Alto's FE using the tank-to-tank method, I have always got a FE of 19-21 kmpl under all general conditions.

Hope this is of use to you.
Melvyn

Last edited by misquitas : 23rd August 2010 at 10:45.
Old 23rd August 2010, 11:05   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry buddy, this is not the right method of calculating the F.E. You need to calculate tank-full to tank-full. I also suggest empty the tank atleast 50-75% before you fill it up and calculate. Just to reduce the margin of error.

My Swift has an analog fuel meter. When I fill the tank till the brim, the meter shows a little past "F". When it drops to "F", would have already driven 75-80 km in the city.

Hope this helps.
Old 23rd August 2010, 12:13   #43
BHPian

@misquitas and @blue_pulsar Thanks for the advice and the explanations given by you guys. I needed experts help in this regard and there i have it. So next time when im filling up my tank im going to check up how much the car has travelled. Waiting for my car to travel and calculating the FE. Im sure many of you must be waiting to know whether the new Alto give the FE as claimed by MUL.
Old 23rd August 2010, 14:18   #44
BHPian

Quote:
@misquitas and @blue_pulsar Thanks for the advice and the explanations given by you guys. I needed experts help in this regard and there i have it. So next time when im filling up my tank im going to check up how much the car has travelled. Waiting for my car to travel and calculating the FE. Im sure many of you must be waiting to know whether the new Alto give the FE as claimed by MUL.
Me expert? No way. I just happen to give you some practical tips that I have benefitted from. Just follow the tank-to-tank method to calculate FE and do let us know the outcome of your FE figures. You should be getting better FE after your first service. So don't be disappointed if your FE figures before first service don't match your expectation. As always, drive sensibly and sedately to achieve best FE figures.

Melvyn
Old 23rd August 2010, 21:27   #45
BANNED

David congrats on your upgrade,has the boot space increased between the old and new?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks