Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2010, 14:30   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

IMO, a better way to analyze these combinations is to find out exactly what additives do the preimum diesels contain. For that matter, Shell regular is already supposed to have additives.

If Tata doesnt recommend premium diesels, but does sell System-D, then I hope & suppose that there is a fair (technical) reason to it.

Ford recommends & sells System-D, and I am using (periodically) on the Ikon & the Sumo.
Old 7th December 2010, 15:03   #62
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Yep Condor,

let me use some contacts in TATA and find out, others can check in the meanwhile, travelling over the next 10 odd days so won't be able to get back on the thread soon.

I have used TurboJet / Extra Mile a lot in the case of my Safari TCIC with positive results in case of power and fuel effecienty both.

Used only normal Diesel in case of the Laura, and the SKODA guys were specific and insistant on using only normal diesel, once the car did smoke and they first asked me questions about the type of diesel I used, and even replaced the diesel to check if that could be the cause inspite of insistance that only normal diesel should be used.

In the case of TATA the showroom guy who handles other TATA cars other than Safari and Aria, told me to use Premium Diesel but later corrected himself on the advise of the guy who specifically has been trained for the Aria that only normal diesel should be used.

So System D could be something that the Service centres have for other cars in the TATA family but may or may not be recommended for 2.2 Dicor. Needs to be checked further.
Old 7th December 2010, 15:30   #63
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

XIII First Rains

XIII First Rains

Oddly encountered First Rains on the delivery day itself, though it was well towards the last week of november.

Unseasonal climate implied messy roads and dirt being spread all across the windscreen and the entire car.

The Automatic wipers came on by themselves and actually worked well enough for me to not require adjusting the speed during the entire 35 kms drive.

In my Laura I have to keep fiddling with the speed of the wiper and also to get it to sense the rain soon enough. Ingeneral have not been too satisfied with the auto wipers.

In case of the Aria on the other hand the experience was exactly the opposite the results achieved were near perfection. This is truly worth lauding.

Also the Lights do come on later than in the Laura, in the Laura the lights come on too soon and I keep requiring to nod to those who point out that my lights are on unnecessarily, not so in the Aria, but in the Laura the Lights sensitivity is adjustable at the authorized centre and I have been too lazy to get it done, in the Aria am not yet aware if such an adjustment is possible but don't require it either presently.

The Light visibility, braking distance and wiper all worked perfectly. The height like in all SUV's give an edge over the Sedan's in night and rainly drive conditions.

The only problem that I faced was taking the full trip to figure out the rear sprinkler operation, and the fact that the rear wiper squeaks a bit and that is something that should not happen in a new car. I guess I am cribbing about minor stuff.

Overall felt confident in the Rains. (Which though named First Rains were the Last Rains of the season.)
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2010, 15:40   #64
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
IMO, a better way to analyze these combinations is to find out exactly what additives do the preimum diesels contain. For that matter, Shell regular is already supposed to have additives.

If Tata doesnt recommend premium diesels, but does sell System-D, then I hope & suppose that there is a fair (technical) reason to it.

Ford recommends & sells System-D, and I am using (periodically) on the Ikon & the Sumo.
TATA, Maruti, Toyota, Mahindra and all manufacturers advise against use of premium diesel/System D for CRDI engines. It is clearly mentioned in manual.

TATA recommends system D for it's TCIC engines not CRDI ones.
Old 7th December 2010, 19:58   #65
BHPian

Congratulations ACM for your Aria.. I must say that your novel is more interesting than the car itself.. Really very amazing.. I have rarely ever read such a detailed ownership review.. GTO's Official reviews are the best and your ownership review is simply amazing.. You two should get together.. Would be a deadly combination
Old 9th December 2010, 01:14   #66
BHPian

re: TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!

Excellent review. I was continuously checking if this was indeed written by ACM and not GTO!

I am a TATA fan myself and in love with the Vista. I hope to write my ownership review (10K+) soon. (I AM LAZY!!!)

TATA has certainly improved in service levels. I am waiting for the Manza CS to launch.

Once again congrats on your new buy, hope you have a great affair with this beaust!
Old 9th December 2010, 13:03   #67
BHPian

re: TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!

What an excellent review. Thanks ACM. Awaiting the new pictures after the cleanup & Teflon polish.
Old 9th December 2010, 18:27   #68
AVR
BHPian

Couldn't have got a more comprehensive ownership review for the Aria than this! More so, being a Safari owner for a while you would be in the best position to know the delta in quality and finish from older Tata vehicles.

Good luck with the Aria and looking forward to a another round of photos given that you also have the Wurth thing done.

Cheers,
Adi
Old 10th December 2010, 03:34   #69
BHPian

Real 5 Star Review,Congrats Buddy.Waiting for Updates..
Old 21st December 2010, 14:23   #70
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
Congratulations ACM for your Aria.. I must say that your novel is more interesting than the car itself.. Really very amazing.. I have rarely ever read such a detailed ownership review.. GTO's Official reviews are the best and your ownership review is simply amazing.. You two should get together.. Would be a deadly combination
Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
Excellent review. I was continuously checking if this was indeed written by ACM and not GTO!
I am a TATA fan myself and in love with the Vista. I hope to write my ownership review (10K+) soon. (I AM LAZY!!!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmonie View Post
What an excellent review. Thanks ACM. Awaiting the new pictures after the cleanup & Teflon polish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Couldn't have got a more comprehensive ownership review for the Aria than this! More so, being a Safari owner for a while you would be in the best position to know the delta in quality and finish from older Tata vehicles.

Good luck with the Aria and looking forward to a another round of photos given that you also have the Wurth thing done.
Adi
Quote:
Originally Posted by valapad View Post
Real 5 Star Review,Congrats Buddy.Waiting for Updates..
Thanks psbali, torquecurve (get going on your vista review), AVR, valpad & rmonie

Was on a long tour of east India (sadly not in the Aria) so was unable to post updates sooner. Lobster seems to be gobbling up kms is close at 5k already. I'll try to catch him by the third service.

Am attaching a cleaned up version of the first Service Invoice.

Will soon be back doing a comparo between the Aria, Laura and the Safari on this thread.

Lets just say that when I see the current Aria advt. on TV with the Sedan and the SUV merging to become the Aria, it reminds me of the Laura and the Safari attributes coming together to form the Aria.
Attached Thumbnails
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-120101207_10184901.jpg  

ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2010, 14:42   #71
Senior - BHPian

That's something I was really scared of. Charges except the teflon coating are very high. Only standard checks are costing somewhere 700 Rs. but, that's the issue with every Tata car, so leaving it, in the long term ownership basically after 90,000 kms only the true value of ARIA will be known to us. I mean how it is really hard to maintain. Unlike the Honda premium cars which run on damn cheap regular service costs, we must see whether Tata have done their homework on the spares and parts + maintenance cost too or they are still going with the Premium car, Premium budget mind.
Old 21st December 2010, 14:56   #72
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Mercedised actually they charged around Rs. 421 + Tax for an Optional AC Antifungal treatment also they charged another Rs. 220 odd for using a different kind of spray on the glass winders, beading and door latches - this too is optional.

So the standard charge that is compulsory was only Rs. 110. Everything else was optional and is something I decided to spulge on as it's a new car.
Old 21st December 2010, 14:59   #73
BHPian

Oh well.. you sort of answered my question as well.. Sorry for a useless post..

SO how was your dealership experience?? I had to wait almost an hour before an SA was alloted.. And after few mins he tells us that the car will be delivered the next day.. I had asked him to get rid of minor rattles.. For which they needed one whole day.. Even after that the issues were not solved.. One more thing.. Pandit Auto has cheated us big time.. We had booked a Silver Aria Pride.. But we had to settle with a white one as they kept delaying our car. Saying that the our booking in Tata Motor's system still shows white aria(had to book white on first day as they had started taking orders on the very same day and so silver was not showing in their system on 12th oct ) but they had informed us that they have changed it to silver the moment they got it in the system.. They even kept us asking to go for either a Red or Night Shade Black color we finally confronted them on 15th Nov that is when they said that they are getting the White color and we accepted.. Now when we take our Aria for servicing we see a Silver Pride coming in for Accident repair. Up on inquiring they say that a guy who had contacts with pandit auto forcefully took it from them.. This is what they do to their First Customer for Aria in Pune.. c

Last edited by psbali : 21st December 2010 at 15:14. Reason: Question answered in the preceding post..
Old 21st December 2010, 16:50   #74
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Psbali sorry to hear about your experience, the silverlining - Trust me White looks much grander than silver and it really stands out in the Aria giving it a majestic ..

Had you booked an appointment in advance? I knew the name and mobile number of my SA a day in advance. Give your SA a bad rating when you get the feedback call from TATA - these guys are under pressure from TATA to deliver on service and can be made to pay for neglecting us.
Old 22nd December 2010, 20:08   #75
BHPian

@ACM - A very nice report. Covers all aspects of purchase in a logical way. 5 stars! This might serve as a good reference for people to finalize what they want and things to keep in mind.

Happy motoring!

Most Viewed