Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2011, 01:25   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!

@ACM, Thanks for the info. Ya the volvo has one push of the knob for fogs. But it seems tatas have come a long way by incorporating such european stylings in their offerings. Nice to see and hope to see the same on their upcoming 4x4.

And ya, is there any display on the MID or in the screen to show the status of traction control on/off?I hope Tata has given a switch to turn it off.
Old 15th February 2011, 11:22   #122
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

re: TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by devenashani View Post
@ACE
Did you upgrade the lights with relay and wiring kit? or is stock lighting adequate to drive on highways ?
Nope have not upgraded. The Lights are reasonably fine for the highways and city both, they could have been better but are OK.

Changing the relay and wiring kit would void the warranty on the light fixtures and electrics. Suggest you avoid that for now in the Aria as it being a new vechicle the warranty may be of use. One can consider the upgrade after about 1.5-2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
But, again I doubt if ARIA has this much Intelligent ECU?
BTW, does ARIA comes with tyre pressure indicators?
Nope that is the one major thing that Aria misses out on. There are not tyre pressure indicators. I check the tyre pressure at every fuel top up. (every 450kms roughly as I I dont take let the fuel go real low.) And also carry a Portable Powered Pump for filling air. I don't know why they missed out on this basic Item.

As far as the ECU is concerned have found that many of the things that the Aria does is much better managed than in even the Laura, be it the auto sensing stuff, or the ABS kick in during emergency braking or the ESP lights flashing on loose gravel for correction or even comfort features like the auto locking at 10kmph speed etc. Seems the Aria programmers did a good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
@ACM, Thanks for the info. it seems tatas have come a long way by incorporating such european stylings in their offerings. And ya, is there any display on the MID or in the screen to show the status of traction control on/off?I hope Tata has given a switch to turn it off.
The Circular lights knob feels like its made to last and is of a real good quality, it was improved on further compared to the demo car, in the actual vehicle that was delivered.

All the various feature lights like ESP, ABS, TC etc light up on the display at startup and would remain on if there is a failure. (touch wood has not happend till date for me.) Only twice has the ESP light flashed indicating it getting into action, this was with me accelerating away on loose sand/ gravel. The ESP / TC etc. Cannot be switched off. I have seen the requirement to have it switched off either in real world conditions. Have the ESP switch off option on the Laura and have never used except once to check what happens when one pressing the button. (ofcourse nothing happens except the amber ESP lights going on.)
Old 25th February 2011, 17:29   #123
BHPian

@ACM

Congrats on the buy, I know I am late but still! I wanted to congratulate you,
Anyway, this is just to tell you that I loved the way you penned down your report and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it!

Hope you have clock many enduring miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
All I am trying to say is that rather than stuff so many gizmos into a car to reach the premium segment, TATA should improve on the quality of its interiors and some exteriors to allow the person taking home such a car to feel premium as soon as he enters his car, sits in it and rides in it! He should not have to press buttons all around for him to realize where his hard earned money has gone! The rest will fall into place.
I agree with majority of what you have said, but still in the case of the Aria the Tata’s have gone leagues ahead of themselves! Don't get me wrong here I too feel the pricing could have been better but the segment or the niche they have tried to fill in is spot on!

The pricing strategy what they have followed is by me called "smart pricing”. Many are skeptical still so as to if the Aria will deliver what it promises, till now I have seen a majority of positives that is steadily changing my opinion about the company. ACM here is an example of a satisfied customer. Let us not forget that now Tata’s have acquired jaguar, they will improve steadily and yes the day will come when you will not have to search where you’re hard earned money went, the Aria is a bold glimpse of that day! Yes the quality is not up-to the mark in some areas and I know that this segment is unforgiving,

the point I am trying to make is that the "leap" they have taken should be valued. At first I too felt like the others, that the car is overpriced,
But after you understand that the vehicle feels truly premium from some perspectives and it has segment firsts! The ride quality of the Aria beats the hell out of other expensive cars and even makes the fortuners ride quality feel lumpy, a job well done, yes!

The motive of penning this down is not to side Tata or say that the Aria is the best, it is to make a clear point,

I am myself in the market for a vehicle like the Aria and it is one of the top contenders on my list.
Old 7th March 2011, 09:51   #124
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Minor bits off mark

Thanks Zapex, Just saw your post today, so sorry about the delayed reaction. Yes the Aria works for me at least presently but to put things in the correct prespective:

I have faced a few minor niggles with the Aria. It is not an absolute zero like maybe it would have been in the Fortuner (but then who knows with my kind of an eye, I'll probably find something wrong with every car I drive.)

1) Front Left Passenger side door speaker resonates oddly at certain music frequencies. Happens with a a few of the songs (maybe 5%) but it is irritating when it does happen. The issue has remained since the first service and they have not been able to resolve it even in the second one, though they are commited to do it. I have not asked them to replace any parts as yet as this has been quite minor and is reducing with time. The first service had them set the system for a certain lower bass effect, but this was not fool proof and not an acceptable way of listening to music for me, the second time round they found a loose screw that they tightened, but that too has not worked completely.

2) Wiper stalk back side small 2" cover falls off. If put back it does not fall off right away, infact it is hard to take off as well even with force, so hard to show the service centre guys but it has happened a couple of times possibly when the stalk is pushed in to some extreme. The MID controled by the stalk on the other side also at times (maybe once a week) automatically jumps to the second display range. It has started after excessive use of the trip meter resetting during the NAB Blind Man Car Rally. But since these are meant to last 1000's of resets, it should not have happened. Actually am not in a hurry nor concerned about this too much as I could get the component replaced at any time within the 4 years of warranty, and later might be better as that would imply the next lot of components.

3) Rear left window glass rubber trim (outside) gets a bit folded when the window is wound up. (Noticed only from the outside) There is no compromise on the closing bit and every thing is smooth, but this looks a bit odd from the outside. Will have this corrected in the 3rd service. (I guess they will have to replace the rubber to really solve it.)

4) A crome strip on the right rear door handle came off just after PDI, they replaced this FOC in the second service when they had the part. It happened the day after PDI so they could have technically said no as it was a plastic trim bit that could have been spoilt even by the car washer, but they went ahead and replaced it FOC after asking me a few questions.

5) The Hand Brake needs to be pulled up quite a bit to hold the car on a slope, a gentle tug has it sliding backwards. This presently matches how much I used to pull the hand brake in my Safari, but is a different experience for my driver who has not driven the Safari or the Aria before and only ends up giving slight tug. This will require a routine minor adjustment that I will have taken care off in the third service.

6) Rubber grip pad on right rear passenger door inside keeps popping off once in 20 days, when clicked back it is hard to remove it again by hand, so I guess this happens when the car goes over some very bad roads in a certain manner. Since the cover still remains in the crevice one, just has to fit it back in softly. But this should not really be happening

Other than these above mentioned really minor issues the car has been going like a dream and has been pilling on a lot of kms. Should be due for the third service before the end of the month.

I did twice use the feature of folding all rows of seats down (flat bed) to carry stuff, once moved a house load of assorted heavy stuff between two cities (400 kms distance) and once carried the equivanent of 15 cement bags of mud (3 trips of 15X3) for my garden. The rear did not bend down with the extra weight as much as it used to in the case of the Safari when loaded.

Besides have taken my team of 7 for lunch on about 5 occations and the rear seats were fine as long as we had smaller sized people sitting in it. A plum 5'10" guy placed in the last row (ladies took the middle row) did crib a lot on one such trip.

Am still very happy with the car and the issues listed above are really minor and should easilty be corrected and were kind of expected by me (having owned a Safari before). Most importantly there is nothing that makes me go to the service centre before it is due. The car still does not rattle at all and that feels real good.

Comparatively my Laura has greater wind noise (air leaking in at high speed) now and even rattles in a couple of place on the inside (but then it is a 83k kms).
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2011, 20:27   #125
GTO
Team-BHP Support

ACM, your review is a bible for future Aria owners; Thanks for keeping us updated so often. Great to hear that she's keeping you happy

Here's a thought from last weekend : It's a well known fact that premium car owners are increasingly preferring Automatic transmissions, and it makes tremendous business sense for manufacturers to offer it as an option. I think an Aria AT would go a long way toward increasing urban penetration levels. Do you? Plus, it's such a feature-rich vehicle that an AT seems like a logical fit. Would you buy an AT Aria?
Old 7th March 2011, 21:58   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
ACM, your review is a bible for future Aria owners; Thanks for keeping us updated so often. Great to hear that she's keeping you happy

Here's a thought from last weekend : It's a well known fact that premium car owners are increasingly preferring Automatic transmissions, and it makes tremendous business sense for manufacturers to offer it as an option. I think an Aria AT would go a long way toward increasing urban penetration levels. Do you? Plus, it's such a feature-rich vehicle that an AT seems like a logical fit. Would you buy an AT Aria?

I would have loved to have an AT Aria. And there is only one reason for it.. The long gear ratios. Even on a highway it is difficult to drag the Aria on 5th gear at 70kmph and dont even talk about the 3rd gear it needs to be always above 40kmph and driving on 2nd gear even at 35 means engine is revving madly. Below 60 the 4th gear isnt that responsive. Graduating from SX4 that does 60kmph in 5th gear it feels like a task at times to drive Aria. The only thing good is that there is minimum turbo lag that at least takes care of start stop traffic.

On my previous trips I have always been a passenger and have mentioned how comfortable the car and that I dont feel fatigue after even a 500kms drive in my ownership review. But my last trip from Akola to Pune exhausted me like anything. I was ready to fall on the floor when I reached home. That is just because Aria punishes you for losing speed as you have to slow down frequently on a highway which results in frequent gear changes. There is only one solution and that is "Sedate" driving. Mine was a spirited one. My Aria would always be chauffeur driven. Things would have been entirely different in AT.

Last edited by psbali : 7th March 2011 at 22:02. Reason: addition.
Old 8th March 2011, 11:03   #127
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

It's a well known fact that premium car owners are increasingly preferring Automatic transmissions. I think an Aria AT would go a long way toward increasing urban penetration levels. Do you? Plus, it's such a feature-rich vehicle that an AT seems like a logical fit. Would you buy an AT Aria?
Thanks, GTO.

PSB is absolutely right.

Yes, AT is the one major thing that is missing in the Aria, I love AT's. Modern AT's tend to be as fast and as fuel effecient as the MT. When one pays this kind of money FE is not the prime consideration (especially with diesel as fuel, though living with a Petrol Cielo AT may have numbed my senses) and I tend to use the kickdown mode a fair bit in the Laura to get the high revs kick of the MT.

An AT in the Aria would have also freed up space for the left leg (clutch going out.) and made it more comfortable in the City. I guess tata just did not have stable AT technology ready when they launched the Aria else it would be a no brainer to include it. Towards the end of a city drive day/ long journey it can get a bit tiring with a MT.

Oddly even the Yeti comes without the AT option presently and this is absent in the Fortuner as well. AT as a feature in the 3.0L is I guess the single reason why the Endy does the 250-350 odd numbers that it does month on month, I too considered the Endy for the AT and the 3.0L Engine, but the interiors, low seating and rear suspension resulted in it's elimination. It is good to see that Mahindra has taken a lead and plonked an AT in the Scorpio.

Would value AT more than Satnav, Reverse Camera, ESP and TC put together as a must have feature. AT to me makes for a safer drive as the driver can concentrate on more important aspects of driving and is under less stress.

An AT Aria coming up in a couple of years could even get me contemplating an exchange. A 3.0 V6 diesel for about 200 Bhp would be the cherry on the Black Forest Cake.
Old 8th March 2011, 15:49   #128
BANNED

A few questions to you ACM:

1. What has been the FE of your Aria and and what speeds in the city and highway so far?
2. What do you feel is more comfortable for 5 people over long distances? The Safari or the Aria?
3. Have you tried/done any trail blazing/off roading and what has been your experience?
4. Can the seats of the Aria made to fold flat and form a bed? Can they be completely removed to form a flat bed?
5. At what highway speeds does the Aria feel most comfortable?

Looking forward to your responses.
Old 8th March 2011, 16:41   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
A few questions to you ACM:
Hope both of you don't mind my answers here...

Quote:
1. What has been the FE of your Aria and and what speeds in the city and highway so far?
In city around 9-10kmpl, highways 13-14kmpl

Quote:
2. What do you feel is more comfortable for 5 people over long distances? The Safari or the Aria?
I haven't driven Safari to that extent to answer this.

Quote:
3. Have you tried/done any trail blazing/off roading and what has been your experience?
Yes, did around 40+kms of forest trails in Wayanad following a mm540. Needs to be careful about the suspension action as 200mm GC is nothing with Aria's suspension travel range. If suspension travel is under control and if the front bumper clears an obstacle, you are most probably through. A bit more low end torque would have been very useful.

Quote:
4. Can the seats of the Aria made to fold flat and form a bed? Can they be completely removed to form a flat bed?
It will be nearly fully flat but not exactly fully flat. Around 5 degrees or so slope will be there. The seats can't be removed.

Quote:
Well, from 100kmph to 160+kmph didn't feel too much difference in vehicle's behaviour on NH7. But given the road situations 100-120kmph felt the most comfortable from a safety perspective.

Last edited by LobsterB : 8th March 2011 at 16:48.
Old 8th March 2011, 17:05   #130
BANNED

Not at all LobsterB. Thank you for the inputs.

At what speeds on the highway have you gotten those figures?

Was the Waynad trail a 4x2 or a 4x4 territory? Did you do it in the "off road" mode?

Also, have you had any issues/niggles with the Aria so far?

ACM and LobsterB: Does the Aria too have the typical Safari 2.2 "Loss of power at 1200-1500rpm at 3rd gear at 30kmph" issue? It ideally should since it is the same engine and ECU.
Old 8th March 2011, 17:23   #131
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Lobsters response is bang on similar to mine.

1) FE - 9.5 in city when I drive, driver gets 10.0, on highway I get 12, driver gets 13. (I am more agro than the driver who changes gears at all the right speeds)
2) Aria is more comfortable than the Safari for 5 people, the middle row seats of the Aria have better angles both for the base and the back (which can be inclined further). Also the Aria sound insulation is better besides nothing in the car rattles unlike in the safari.
3) Just do a bit of / lot of driving on the soft shoulder on the highways to move ahead of stationary lines of trucks and the Aria is fine then. Also take it on non existant roads near new construction sites and am comfy doing it. Find that the occupants are more comfortable if one drives at a higher speed on rough roads then when one slows down and crawls over each obstacle. Going faster feels better and is confidence inspiring but ofcourse would take a toll on the suspension in the long run. My driver crawls on rough roads, I speed through (kind off like in a rally.)
4) Last two rows Fold almost Flat upto 5 degree. They CAN be slept upon if that is the question. The middle row seats fold even further to the back of the front row seats, but folding them flat is the way i would suggest one goes if more space is required. The seats cannot be removed. They do not need to be removed. We get a large rectangular space with both rear rows folded.
5) It is very comfortable between 110-140 depending upon the road conditions. The cruise control works fine even though it is a manual.
Old 8th March 2011, 20:17   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Waiting for answers from both the Aria owners.
I had a temperature sensor loose contact issue that required people from Tata Motors, Pune to come down. In addition had an issue with brake fluid leak at rear right wheel, requiring replacement of that unit under warranty. No rattles or the like from anywhere. Vehicle does feel solid that way except for the cheap rubber beading.

Didn't feel any loss of power in third gear. But a little more lower end grunt on second gear will make life a lot easier on Bangalore humps. I suppose these two points are quite different from Safari 2.2L.

If you are going to TD Aria, please do take it to an area with lot of humps (and narrow streets!).
Old 9th March 2011, 09:59   #133
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Waiting for answers from both the Aria owners.
Nope nothing critical as yet.

As far as the third gear drivability is concerned, or the loss of power is concerned have not noticed any thing like what you mention. Ofcourse we are talking about shifting into third only post 35kmph. I dont really drive at 30 kmph in third unless one is stepping down for a short while while trailing a truck or something. The Aria actually asks to be reved and I do give it a wack, my driver through drives sedately and does go into higher gears at lower revs / speed.

Also as lobster says, if we are in second gear and go over a hump we can tend to stall especially if we do not rev the engine a bit more while exiting the hump. This actually happens due to lesser very low end grunt being available and one ends up actually going into 1st gear territory over some humps as far as torque and speed combo is concerned and yet try to continue in second. Once one is aware of this then this is automatically taken care of by a bit more acc while exiting the hump or by moving down to 1st gear. One needs to be a bit aware of the car power delivery and dynamics and once that is done one feels very comfortable with it. I now also have a driver and he has not stalled the car even once in the entire month. I did stall it once a day in the initial week, till it became very rare by the end of the first month.

The ECU tuning and settings for the Aria are from what I have been informed by the service centre and outside quite different from those of the Safari. Had also checked with a chip tuner who tunes the Safari 2.2 if the same tunning setting (external box like petes) can be used for the Aria, and they reverted back in the -ve. (Of course would only have considered that after 2 years)

I guess even the transmission components are a bit different as the Aria has the DMF (Dual Mass Flywheel) to isolate the engine vibrations from the Grearbox and hence the entire car. The New Merlin is said to be getting this new flywheel, it may have similar tuning as the Aria when it is released.

Last edited by ACM : 9th March 2011 at 10:04.
Old 9th March 2011, 10:16   #134
BHPian

Quote:
At what speeds on the highway have you gotten those figures?

Was the Waynad trail a 4x2 or a 4x4 territory? Did you do it in the "off road" mode?
Sorry, missed these questions yesterday.

The highway FE was in 100-120kmph range with (mostly) light foot on NH7 trips down south from Hosur.

The Waynad trial was not strictly a 4x4 territory. It was quite slushy at places, but manageable. The terrain was uneven as well and required someone to get down and spot at a few places. But except for one or two places a hatchback with sufficient GC also would have made it. My i10? Perhaps... If stuck, I could have pushed it out. For sure I wouldn't have taken my NHC there.

Last edited by LobsterB : 9th March 2011 at 10:30.
Old 13th March 2011, 11:20   #135
BHPian

@ACM

Hey I was curious so as to know as to where the chassis/engine number and VIN are located on the Aria.

Could you please upload some pictures of the same; it would be really helpful.

Thanks

Most Viewed