Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2011, 17:14   #211
BHPian

re: TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Compared to normal Back I liked Grey more. It looked unique and elegant on the car.
Unfortunately I only had the Silver and Black as the option. Any other colors and it would have been Feb delivery with undiscounted prices.

I took the Black. Apparently it looks bottle green black in the sun.

As for my previous post, awaiting ur answer on the oil used. Will accordingly then decide on asking the dealership to put in synthetic or not.

Cheers
Old 17th December 2011, 14:15   #212
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

re: TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
Unfortunately I only had the Silver and Black as the option. Any other colors and it would have been Feb delivery with undiscounted prices.

I took the Black. Apparently it looks bottle green black in the sun.

As for my previous post, awaiting ur answer on the oil used. Will accordingly then decide on asking the dealership to put in synthetic or not.

Cheers
Congratualations on you booking.

The company originally provides natural oil (not synthetic). I get oil changed every 9000-10000 kms instead of the mentioned 15000 kms which is valid only for pure highway driving situation. for a mix of pure city driving (7500 kms) to a mix of both one has to choose an interval inbetween.

I have decided to change every 9000 kms and use only natural oil (which is 1/3rd the cost). Besides synthetic oil is more essential in colder (freezing) climates up north.

I do have TASS add Bardahl oil additive. I say NO to fuel additive (which is was TATA too recommends - i.e. say NO to Diesel additive and also NO to premium Diesel).

The first free service at 1500 kms does NOT involve an oil change - just get a top up if required.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2011, 14:30   #213
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Thanks ACM.
Btw, is there any suggestion for cutting down the cabin noise for Safari - am looking for both the Wind-cutting and the engine noise inside the cabin.
Any suggestion ?
Prem.
For the Safari had gone in for underbody (antirust) treatment from wruth. I recommend Dynamat or Wruth or any other sound deadning treatment in the doors as well. It would also improve the sound of the door closing "thud". I would recommend focal only from the point of view of speaker sound and vibration reduction. But to do that along with external sound decrease suggest the other alternatives mentioned.

On can also go in for dynamat / any other sound deadning solution on the floor. This being a diesel Wruth says one can do their sound deading in engine bay (firewall and bonnet) as well. - I think you sound pass this one.

Adding another layer of matting (carpet if the current one is pastic and viceversa) is something that I had done. infact had put one of my old multipiece carpet mats under the offical singe black carpet that was provided on a permanent basis when i felt the urge to go infor new ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devenashani View Post
Have you gone for any kind of ICE upgrade ?

Please elaborate if done.
Nope not really. Sound Deadning is the first step and is done.

Have seen the speakers - they are all nice 6" one with a seperate tweeter integrated within the door (in the rear) and fixed seperately in the A Piller (in the front).

Next step will be headrest screens when I can get real good quality ones. Current ones available with DVD integrated are all chinese unbranded stuff. Have asked an installer to source some.

After that would like to change the front speakers (removing the sockets from the original speaker) and mounting them onto the new one along and use the fit template from the old speakers itself.

Adding amp, subwoofer, complete speaker set all involves cutting wires and killing what seems to be very essential warranty. I don't recommend it in the first 3 years at least.
Old 19th December 2011, 16:55   #214
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Door Damping Snaps

Am Attaching Snaps of the Door Damping.

Do note:

1) Two thick Side Impact Rods per door.
2) Existing Damping sheets that TATA provides on the Aria seen in some of the snaps.
3) 6" Speakers for all 4 doors. Front door tweeters are in 1 pillar, and for rear there are part of the speaker.
4) Note the Speakers are from Malaysia not China. 4 Ohms 25W as is standard.
5) Focal Door Damping sheet is 6mm think it has a layer of alluminium sheet embedded within.
6) Sockets of the speakers are unique and different for front and rear. If one wants to do a socket only installation without cutting wires with new better speakers then one can remove the new speaker sockets and solder the ones on the Aria speakers to avoid any wire cutting. The Aria speakers are screwed into the template that fix them into the door so the same template can be used for the new replacement speakers. - Next task for me.

All Snaps taken with Samsung SII Mobile in low light.
Attached Thumbnails
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-tata-door-damping-2-roll-bars.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-tata-default-damping.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-tata-default-damping3.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-focal-damping-sheet-6mm-compare-finger-width.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-focal-damping-sheet-6mm-compare-thumb.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-focal-damping-sheet-6mm.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-focal-damping-sheet-crosssection-closeup-6mm.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-focal-damping-sheet-per-door-1sq-ft-approx.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-damping-closeup.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-front-door-inner-side.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-rear-door-inner-side.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-front-door-damped.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-front-door-damped2.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-rear-door-damped.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-speakers-made-malaysia-4-ohms-25w.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-front-speaker-6-inches.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-rear-speaker-6-inches.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-front-speaker-back.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-rear-speaker-front-tweeter.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-front-speaker-socket-female.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-front-speaker-socket-male.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-rear-speaker-socket-male.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-rear-speaker-socket-male2.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 21st December 2011, 02:50   #215
BHPian

Hi ACM, I was just wondering about how to switch on the fog lamps of the Aria. (Could not find during TD)

Pics would be appreciated!
Old 23rd December 2011, 16:02   #216

Quote:
Hi ACM, I was just wondering about how to switch on the fog lamps of the Aria. (Could not find during TD)

Pics would be appreciated!
Move the headlight knob to the right most position and pull the knob outwards, there are two outward positions 1st one starts front fog lamp second one both front and rear fog lamps
Old 13th February 2012, 22:19   #217

Quote:
To the best of my info - which could be incorrect - unlike in the case of petrol where Speed 93, 97 etc are basically petrols with higher octane numbers in case of Diesel, premium diesels do not have a higher diesel count but have additives that keep the injectors unblocked and lubricate the engine in general.

Now this is based on various inputs and could be wrong so would be glad to be correct on it.

But because of these additives TATA, SKODA etc do not recommend premium diesel for their CRDI, DICOR, Pump duse, type of Diesel Engines. And infact when the engine smokes the first question asked is if premium diesels were used.

I do not take the service advisors reaction too seriously, but there is a definate query out here.
i would like to comment on this, point-wise:
1>petrol have octane rating and diesel has cetane rating
2> higher octane rating for petrol means it can withstand higher compression ratios without detonation or self-ignition. used in short stroke racing engines having high compression ratios.
3> diesel engines,generally in india, are long stroke engines (undersquare) because diesel doesnt mix with air as easily as petrol does. so the longer stroke means more interaction time of diesel with air.
4> now remembering that diesel engines are compressed ignition engines and hence dont use spark plugs, it is the diesel which self ignites at the temperature created by the compressed air inside the cylinder after the compression stroke. now since diesel doesnt mix with air easily, there is an ignition delay.
5> higher the cetane number of the diesel, lower is the ignition delay- the time period between the start of injection and the first identifiable pressure increase during combustion of the fuel.
6> so in case of high speed diesel engines (high engine speed or rpm) high cetane diesl can be used. but in india, diesel engines are low speed diesel engines, so using turbojet (or any other high cetane diesel) would not help.
7> to explain why it wudnt help:

our engines are designed taking into account the ignition delay of normal diesel. so the diesel is injected before end of compression stroke, say at the last phases of the compression stroke, so that the ignition delay is countered. using a fuel with lesser ignition delay would cause similar catastrophies as detonation or pre-ignition in a petrol engine of high compression ratio using a low octane rating.

i would be glad if i have made myself clear...thank you.
leo_24x07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2012, 11:47   #218
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo_24x07 View Post
3> diesel engines,generally in india, are long stroke engines (undersquare) because diesel doesnt mix with air as easily as petrol does. so the longer stroke means more interaction time of diesel with air.
4> now remembering that diesel engines are compressed ignition engines and hence dont use spark plugs, it is the diesel which self ignites at the temperature created by the compressed air inside the cylinder after the compression stroke. now since diesel doesnt mix with air easily, there is an ignition delay.
5> higher the cetane number of the diesel, lower is the ignition delay- the time period between the start of injection and the first identifiable pressure increase during combustion of the fuel.
6> so in case of high speed diesel engines (high engine speed or rpm) high cetane diesl can be used. but in india, diesel engines are low speed diesel engines, so using turbojet (or any other high cetane diesel) would not help.
7> to explain why it wudnt help:

our engines are designed taking into account the ignition delay of normal diesel. so the diesel is injected before end of compression stroke, say at the last phases of the compression stroke, so that the ignition delay is countered. using a fuel with lesser ignition delay would cause similar catastrophies as detonation or pre-ignition in a petrol engine of high compression ratio using a low octane rating.

i would be glad if i have made myself clear...thank you.
Thank you for detailed inputs- yet to add further Turbojet & all other premium Diesels available in India (unlike premium petrols) have additivies to help with keeping the engine clean of deposits but do not have a higher cetane count.
Old 29th February 2012, 14:10   #219
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Brakes

The Aria Brakes are really quite nice, but had felt a bit of a fade recently and got them replaced.

Cost:
Brake Pads: - Approx Rs. 8000 - Set of 4 for front and rear. The front pads are a bit more expensive than the rear ones.
Labour:- Approx Rs. 1500
Total:- Rs.9500
Disks were fine.
Got this done during routine service at 37,000 kms. The existing ones could have lasted till about 40,000-42,000 kms for me. I decided to place safe and get them replaced earlier since it is quite a heavy vehicle.

Overall Satisfied with the Brakes, though someone could have got the pads to last even till 50,000 kms and some others will find the price to be a bit on the higher side but felt that compared to a price of brake pads of other vehicles in the same segment this is quite ok. By the way the Aria Brake pads are different from those of the current Safari in the front.

Last edited by ACM : 29th February 2012 at 14:11.
Old 1st March 2012, 15:46   #220

Quote:
But because of these additives TATA, SKODA etc do not recommend premium diesel for their CRDI, DICOR, Pump duse, type of Diesel Engines. And infact when the engine smokes the first question asked is if premium diesels were used.
I just read in an indigo cs owners manual that system d is recommended for all tata cars except quadrajet.
Old 5th March 2012, 16:30   #221
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo_24x07 View Post
I just read in an indigo cs owners manual that system d is recommended for all tata cars except quadrajet.
The Quadrajet engine type does fall in the dicor/ CRDi type of modern engines so that is quite fine, tata is moving on from the earlier type of engines and most of the newer one will not require a fuel additive or premium fuels but that would drop some addtional income that fuel pumps/ companies and additive companies make. I used to always use Turbojet on the earlier Safari TCIC but now with the Laura and recently with the Aria that has stopped and it just ordinary diesel that I consume, this trend will probably lead to a significant drop / stop in sales of premium diesels in India. - But then there would be trucks that would use Extra Mile type of premium diesels for a while - till they go the common rail route in a big way.
Old 5th March 2012, 17:41   #222

Quote:
The Quadrajet engine type does fall in the dicor/ CRDi type of modern engines so that is quite fine, tata is moving on from the earlier type of engines and most of the newer one will not require a fuel additive or premium fuels but that would drop some addtional income that fuel pumps/ companies and additive companies make. I used to always use Turbojet on the earlier Safari TCIC but now with the Laura and recently with the Aria that has stopped and it just ordinary diesel that I consume, this trend will probably lead to a significant drop / stop in sales of premium diesels in India. - But then there would be trucks that would use Extra Mile type of premium diesels for a while - till they go the common rail route in a big way.
what i saw was for the tdi engine user manual....i will have to check for the cr4 versions too....if they recommend for cr4 engines also (which is a common rail engine) then there would be ambiguities. i will check it and post ASAP.
Old 7th June 2012, 02:16   #223
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Gave the Aria for it's 6th service (first full paid service) (had got a half paid service done last time just for peace of mind since I visited to get some stuff corrected then- no oil change type)

The vehicle is at 43000 kms. This time am giving if for service after 13,000 kms. checked the engine oil level at the service centre just to see how much it drops and there were close to max with close to almost no drop at all?

So this was a day when there were three Aria for service and the same guys takes care of them so I was third in Line. - Bumped to third from second as I reached a bit late.

The first one was at 80,000 kms in 1.5 years and the second one at 40,000 in 1 year and I used to think that I am the one rattling up miles on the Aria.

At the service centre each time while chatting with the service advisor and other owners I try to figure out what are the most common faults of the Aria that they get reported and have had to solve. The common trend is that there are no common faults - yep there are faults but they vary from car to car and just because one car has a clutch or another a suspension fault that need not mean that each car has the same fault. So there does not seem to be a clear trend as yet. All three cars in today had different faults till date and yet all the owners were overall satisfied.

Another bit of info was that the Shock Absorbers evidently are being replaced for those complaining (generally just 2 - in my case all 4) due the an improved connecting bush design (update) coming up - but it seems only for those having an issue.

Only one guy had a rear spring failure issue till date and all the electric switches too have been reliable - so they generally do not stock these parts as yet in the service centre.

Will get back with more when I receive the car in a day or two. Have also gone for getting the entire coolent system flushed as well as a bit of interior cleaning this time round.

Have stuck to natural oil (not synthetic) (with a additiive) till date and it seems to be lasting quite well, so need to spend extra on synthetic for the Aria. When the serivice advisor asked me which oil at the time of third service (first oil change) I asked him what oil the company ships the car with and he said natural - I said "stick with that then. "

Last edited by GTO : 8th June 2012 at 14:14. Reason: Removing lines on high speed. Please understand :). Thanks
ACM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 22:46   #224
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

OK got the car back.

Info:

The first major update seems to be pertaining to the first few Aria which got a ECU update by the first service itself.

The second major update seems to be pertaining to the gearshift which had a small nylon bush being replaced.

The third seems to pertain to Goodyear tyres and those with excessive wear got those replaced with Bridgestones.

The fourth seems to pertain to shock absorbers where in again those with suspension issues got the newer set with improved connecting bushes.

I gained from all the above except the ECU update which was not required as mine was just past that initial lot.

Have also seem them replace a few cosmetic / minor parts like the driver side rhs seat plastic (that keeps breaking a clip) or the initial design of the fuel filler cap thread that would keep the cap attached to the car. They replaced this without any mention or request.

The 6th service costed be Rs. 11,000 including about 1200 for interior cleaning, and about 1500 for coolent replacement and radiator flush as also about 900 for a oil additive plus went in for some minor extras service bits. So without these standard 6th service would be between Rs. 6500-7500.

The experience of this service was fine overall and the car is ready for the rains.

PS: Have to make a short trip to the service centre again in about a weeks time for about 1 hr to get a plastic bit (AC blower vent).

It seemed as if Wasan would not continue with Fiat in the long run post the split of sales, marketing and service agreement between Fiat and TATA.

Technical staff at the dealership have received training for the new Safari Storm. The service advisors of Safari Storm and Aria might be the same set of guys.

Last edited by ACM : 7th June 2012 at 22:47.
Old 9th June 2012, 10:22   #225
Senior - BHPian

Re: Aria in the Rains..

Quote:
Grudge against TATA- Why give a 12" wiper when a 14" one fits and works better. Why give the cheap looking normal wiper on an 18L rupees vehicle.
Price - Rs. 220
Brand - Coozo
Hi, my driver bought a set of Aerotwin wiper of Coozo brand. I have never heard of this brand before. When I googled the same, the first link that appeared was your's!

How is the wiper in terms of quality and longevity?

Most Viewed