Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2012, 10:01   #226
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Aria in the Rains..

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Hi, my driver bought a set of Aerotwin wiper of Coozo brand. I have never heard of this brand before. When I googled the same, the first link that appeared was your's!

How is the wiper in terms of quality and longevity?
Thanks: Had used the Coozo 14" one for the rear but they lost the ability to move water in just 3 months, and replaced them with some other brand - which I dont remember.

For the front I am using the Syndicate ones that replace the Honda civic driver side wiper (aerotwin type). Rs. 800 for the pair for the Front.

The front Coozo seemed OK but were not in the right size for the Aria. (were smaller)
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 13:40   #227
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Solving the problem of the front cup holder tray being disabled if using USB drive

Solving the problem of the front cup holder tray being disabled if one inserts a USB drive after opening the drop down cover on top of the slide out cup holder.

The drop down USB & charger socket in the dash upfront does not close with a USB Drive inserted. This is a design flaw.

The USB cables available in the market too protude out too much. What one needs is a cable that comes out perpendicular to the socket.

Solution:

1) Bought an Amkette USB hub.
2) The USB hub has the required perpendicular cable to connect between the USB socket and the hub but..
3) In the Hub itself only 1 socket work and that happens to be the one on the side and this compounds the problem as the perpendicular cable is not too long and one still can't insert a pen drive in that socket on the hub and close the cover of the compartment.
4) So I opened the hub up and checkout if the PCB itself fits into the compartment while allowing the door to be closed. Yes that worked. But the PCB if kept open could get damaged due to static charge on our hands itself.
5) Finally cut out the excess bit of the pastic casing that houses the usd hub (the part where the perpendicular cable is inserted.

The snaps would be self explanatory. The Cup holder is a slide out tray below the USB compartment. Have not snapped it specifically this time but it's snaps are present on the thread.
Attached Thumbnails
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-20120626-16.06.29.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-20120626-16.05.54.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-20120626-15.00.54.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-20120626-15.30.01.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-20120626-15.34.20.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-20120626-15.35.01.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-20120626-15.35.06.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-20120626-15.35.16.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-20120626-16.03.17.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-20120626-16.03.31.jpg  

Old 27th June 2012, 14:56   #228
Senior - BHPian

re: TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!

@ACM - Thats a decent 'Jugaad' that you have done.

Having said that - attention to detail was missed in this case by TATA which caused this flaw in the first place.

Last edited by amitwlele : 27th June 2012 at 14:58.
Old 27th June 2012, 17:52   #229
Senior - BHPian

Re: Solving the problem of the front cup holder tray being disabled if using USB driv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Solving the problem of the front cup holder tray being disabled if one inserts a USB drive after opening the drop down cover on top of the slide out cup holder.

The snaps would be self explanatory. The Cup holder is a slide out tray below the USB compartment. Have not snapped it specifically this time but it's snaps are present on the thread.
Why dint you try a mini pen drive instead?

Pen Drives - Buy Online in India. Full Specifications, Reviews, Videos, Photos + Free Shipping - Page 1 | BuyThePrice.com

Something like this would have worked I guess -

HP V-165W 4 GB Pen Drive - Buy Online in India for Rs.210 as on 27th June 2012 - Price, Features, Reviews, Specifications, Photos, Videos | BuyThePrice.com

SanDisk Cruzer Fit USB Flash Drive 4GB - Buy Online in India for Rs.208 as on 27th June 2012 - Price, Features, Reviews, Specifications, Photos, Videos | BuyThePrice.com

And this would have been a cheaper option.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 27th June 2012 at 17:57.
Old 27th June 2012, 18:01   #230
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

re: TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!

Oh Raj - Thanks yes sure when I buy a 32 gb pen drive next but already have 4 nos of 16 Gb pen drives with me presently and do tend use them to the max capacity for flexibility of the song that I play plus those that others want. The usb hub was about 290 bucks.

Actually had thought that I would be able to use the usb hub to connect multiple pen drives to it but in effect only the one on the side worked with the car system so had to do the snip and cut mentioned by me.

Last edited by ACM : 27th June 2012 at 18:03.
Old 4th August 2012, 16:57   #231
BHPian

@ACM, great review and posts.

Btw, I recently test drove an Aria and all of us (me + wife + daughter) loved it. We are expecting our 4th human member of my family in Jan 2013 so was looking for an upgrade a large family mover with some sporty occasional drives (Reason I said human member is because I have a cat who is a member of the family since 2003!).

I had a few tests to do like its ability to handle some of the worst potholed roads in Bangalore (currently best track for this is the Bangalore University read!) and it passed them all. My wife who is now 4 months pregnant wasn't able to handle it in her i10 or my Marina! so it was a major benchmark.

I was able to handle the tight turns, humps bumper to bumper traffic all with ease. I was a bit worried if the MT will be overwhelming/overbearing as handling the big vehicle with full load, but could handle the giant with relative ease. Having to graduate from my Marina and i10 to this is in fact a good milestone for me.

Considering my wife loves her i10 AT and I have sentiments to Marina I am finding tough to get a 3rd parking slot in my apt, hence delayed the purchase of Aria so far.

I have a question though, you having owned and driven the Aria for this long did you feel the lack of a 6th gear? I felt for a vehicle of this price range should have come with a 5 speed AT or 6 speed MT as an option. In the conditions I drove I barely could touch 70kmph so couldn't find the engine whining or being rough. It loved to be revved and was not grumpy in 2nd gear even though I touched 40kmph. Thought will check your feedback on the lack of a 6th gear.
srinih75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 16:31   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinih75 View Post
I have a question though, you having owned and driven the Aria for this long did you feel the lack of a 6th gear? I felt for a vehicle of this price range should have come with a 5 speed AT or 6 speed MT as an option. In the conditions I drove I barely could touch 70kmph so couldn't find the engine whining or being rough. It loved to be revved and was not grumpy in 2nd gear even though I touched 40kmph. Thought will check your feedback on the lack of a 6th gear.
Answering for @ACM You are right and I totally miss the 6th gear. Would have definitely loved to have that on my Aria.

Cheers
Old 27th August 2012, 10:16   #233
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

6th gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinih75 View Post

Thanks srini

Thanks Sahakar

Yep the 6th gear would be missed a bit, but only a bit and only for speeds above 120/130 kmph.

For most practical purposes the gearing is sufficent. I do rev the engine a bit higher in my natural style of driving so don't really miss the 6th gear much, but those who normally put the vehicle into the highest possible gear at each specific speed (expertly done by the tourist taxi guys) would feel the need for the 6th gear though as I mentioned not really me.

The way I do see it in a manual one less gear is a bit lesser effort at my end with the clutch to get to the top gear. In an AT since it happens automatically and would also compensate for the lower AT fuel effeciency it makes for a lot more logic.
Old 27th August 2012, 10:29   #234
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

A minor accident

Had a very minor accident. Was in a bit of a hurry in reversing to turn away from a major traffic buildup ahead that would have take up a lot of time - while I was on the way to pick up MIL from the airport.

So inspite of having the right tool like the rear view mirror I missed a tree and banged the right rear straight into it - though at a low speed.

An addtional reverse sensor besides the reverse camera would have saved the day though. The lower prestige model gets the reverse parking sensors while the top end gets the reverse camera. They should have given both in the top end version.

The rear tail light was damaged and I got it replaced immediately.

Guess the price:

Rs. 1000 odd for the the tail light + Rs. 300 labour for fitting 2 bolts + taxes - total Rs. 1465. - I feel that is super cheap for a car and lights this size - the price includes the entire fixture with new bulbs - just remove and replace. - Labour charged though could have been a bit lesser. But am not complaining too much.

There is a dent that the authorized guys will charge Rs. 5000 to remove and they say it won't be possible to just pull it out as the paint would crack in this case. So the entire rear door would have to be repainted. Have differed that work for now and will get it done either outside or in the authorized centre when the car goes in for some other service as well.
Attached Thumbnails
TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-20120823-12.21.10.jpg  

TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!-20120823-12.38.22.jpg  

Old 27th August 2012, 14:18   #235
Senior - BHPian

Re: A minor accident

Quote:
Guess the price:

Rs. 1000 odd for the the tail light + Rs. 300 labour for fitting 2 bolts + taxes - total Rs. 1465. - I feel that is super cheap for a car and lights this size - the price includes the entire fixture with new bulbs - just remove and replace. - Labour charged though could have been a bit lesser. But am not complaining too much.

There is a dent that the authorized guys will charge Rs. 5000 to remove and they say it won't be possible to just pull it out as the paint would crack in this case. So the entire rear door would have to be repainted. Have differed that work for now and will get it done either outside or in the authorized centre when the car goes in for some other service as well.
Sorry to read about this and agree that the replacement was cheap.

But the dent removal quote seems to be on a higher side.

I had a similar accident in my Vista where i banged it against a tree on Kashid beach. I had got it repaired by taking the services of a dent removal guy here in Pune and it was done in Rs.700.

The details of the job done in the below link:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2449816
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2012, 22:03   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...So inspite of having the right tool like the rear view mirror I missed a tree and banged the right rear straight into it - though at a low speed.
Is there such a big blind spot to swallow a tree? or were you being just too casual with the beast?

The only consolation is, it was a tree and not any other vehicle, which would have complicated matters unnecessarily. Getting it repaired outside would sure be cheap and with a color like black, paint shade matching will be lesser of a headache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
I had a similar accident in my Vista where i banged it against a tree on Kashid beach. I had got it repaired by taking the services of a dent removal guy here in Pune and it was done in Rs.700.
That particular solution might not work for ACM as it's a metal part that has taken the hit. Bumpers are fairly easy and cheap to repair, in comparison.
Old 28th August 2012, 22:15   #237
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about the mishap. But the spare part charges are dirt cheap. The dent can easily be removed by any skilled outside mechanic for less than half of ASC quoted price. Keep updating...
Old 29th August 2012, 11:57   #238
BHPian

I dont think the paint will crack so easily I had a small accident when a biker rammed into me from behind, the dent was on the quarter pannel which SA told me is more rigid than the other and some "gyaan" I asked him to get the suction-cup wedge and pulled it out myself, he was giving a looser smile. Doors, unlike fender areas should be easier to do with the suction wedge. If there is a scratch use some rubbing compound + wax, if the scratch is a hard one.. well what are the T-bhp stickers for

Just want to add, love your ownership thread simply super.
Old 30th August 2012, 18:06   #239
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post

Thanks Amit, but there is a distinct crack in the paint work already so this will be a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Is there such a big blind spot to swallow a tree? or were you being just too casual with the beast?

The only consolation is, it was a tree and not any other vehicle, which would have complicated matters unnecessarily. Getting it repaired outside would sure be cheap and with a color like black, paint shade matching will be lesser of a headache.

That particular solution might not work for ACM as it's a metal part that has taken the hit. Bumpers are fairly easy and cheap to repair, in comparison.
The Black of my Aria is called Night Shade Black and is kind of like a very brownish Black and apears brown in some light conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Sorry to hear about the mishap. But the spare part charges are dirt cheap. The dent can easily be removed by any skilled outside mechanic for less than half of ASC quoted price. Keep updating...
Yep an outside mechanic has quoted exactly half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikk View Post
I dont think the paint will crack so easily I had a small accident when a biker rammed into me from behind, the dent was on the quarter pannel which SA told me is more rigid than the other and some "gyaan" I asked him to get the suction-cup wedge and pulled it out myself, he was giving a looser smile.

Just want to add, love your ownership thread simply super.
Thanks, this one can't just be pulled out as there a paint crack already and both the authorized guy and the outside mechanic have said that the original finish will not come without some putty and paint.

I did not focus sufficently on the crack in the snaps I guess.
Old 1st September 2012, 22:21   #240
BHPian

Quote:
An addtional reverse sensor besides the reverse camera would have saved the day though. The lower prestige model gets the reverse parking sensors while the top end gets the reverse camera. They should have given both in the top end version.
So I am not the only one missing the parking sensors inspite of having the reverse camera. I hit a tree while reverse parking at a dhaba. I was watching both the mirrors, but noticed the tree in the camera only after hitting it. Second time, I reversed back into my wife's car witch was parked under the shadow of a building. Sharp contrast of direct sunlight and shadow masked the car out in the camera display.

When it comes to the spare parts, Aria parts are very cheap if they are made in India. Couple of weeks earlier, I got my TFT screen replaced under warranty and it was priced at Rs. 44000. It was made by Delphy, made in some part of EU. Probably due to the high Import / customs duty.

Most Viewed