Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2013, 17:05   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

re: TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Have had my DMF replaced with DMF last month. Will check again with TATA. The base spec Aria pure comes with SMF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAD View Post
...I already had the DMF replaced once earlier & on 2nd occasion, post the Rann of Kutch rally last month, TM replaced with SMF saying that all vehicles now come equipped with SMF & not DMF due to reliability issues...
How is the NVH levels after moving to SMF? I guess the vibrations would have increased a bit. Anything to noticeable levels?
Old 19th February 2013, 20:48   #287
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

re: TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LobsterB View Post
ACM, was the DMF replaced as part of preventive maintenance / service or due a failure. I am wondering what are signs that I should look for. My Aria is around 50,000 Kms now.
DMF was replaced as due to failure of some connecting bolt and bearing along with the clutch. There was significantly increased vibration felt in the left clutch foot during gear change. It gets irritating enough for one to hurry to the service centre.

Kms by themselves may not be an indicator of life of the DMF though I replaced both Laura and ARIA DMF around 50k kms. It should last about 100,000 kms
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 22:22   #288
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Kms by themselves may not be an indicator of life of the DMF though I replaced both Laura and ARIA DMF around 50k kms. It should last about 100,000 kms
A flywheel per se shouldn't be a wear n tear component. At least my limited engineering background says so. Replacement is typically coz of a design or manufacturing defect.
Old 20th February 2013, 18:26   #289
AAD
BHPian

There is a significant increase in vibration at certain speeds. What is more annoying is the to and fro rocking motion on the gear lever at certain speeds.

I don't see any reason for this to happen. I had the Innova earlier and never experienced any driveline vibes and never had to touch any component except replacing the clutch + pressure plate assembly after 100000 Kim's.

On a more positive note for the Aria, my Bridgestone tyres have lasted over 55K so I guess it's a case of win some - lose some!!!!
Old 21st February 2013, 11:50   #290
BHPian

I have read some where in the forum that Safari's cigarette lighter socket got a different size and standard plugs won't fit into it. Is this the case in Aria too?

I got a USB charger which can be connected to this power socket but not working. Anyone experienced the same?
Old 25th February 2013, 12:18   #291
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
I have read some where in the forum that Safari's cigarette lighter socket got a different size and standard plugs won't fit into it. Is this the case in Aria too?

I got a USB charger which can be connected to this power socket but not working. Anyone experienced the same?
Aria has a standard cigarette lighter socket.

Quote:
There is a significant increase in vibration at certain speeds. What is more annoying is the to and fro rocking motion on the gear lever at certain speeds.

On a more positive note for the Aria, my Bridgestone tyres have lasted over 55K so I guess it's a case of win some - lose some!!!!
Good news on the Tyre front. Goodyears were bad they had to replace mine free of cost with the BS at 29k Ms, they are going fine now.

The DMF being replaced with SMF is a down grade in specifications from when the car is bought. Vibrations will increase. Would in your shoes ask for the difference between SMF and DMF to be refunded with interest.

Last edited by noopster : 4th March 2013 at 17:24. Reason: Merged back to back posts
Old 25th February 2013, 13:32   #292
AAD
BHPian

I raised the matter on Rapid Resolutions section of Aria's website and got a response within 3 days from the same Advisors of Tata Motors workshop @ worli. I have told them to replace with DMF for the very same reasons you mentioned, viz it's a downgrade from DMF to SMF.

I have been promised a positive reply and am waiting for a few days more before escalating the matter further.

Thanks for your advise.
Old 3rd March 2013, 15:35   #293
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Aria Key Battery - Warning

Would like to suggest that all carry both keys with them when on long trip (outstation).

I always carry both the keys and keep one in my wife's purse which she is supposed to carry with her at all stop over halts (restaurant breaks etc.)

Reason: - The Battery of the Key stopped working for my key twice within the last 2 years - Don't know if it was the same or different key. Also once the key stopped working for some time and then started working a day or so later. This infact happened to me on an outstation trip and I was happy to have the other key.

Yes we can open the door with the manual key but we can only stop the alarm with the buttons on the Key.

Batteries on such keys do have to go off at some time. The ones on the Aria just went off a bit earlier than I expected but that too is not a major worry. But in general an advice that I would give for all cars with auto locks is to carry both keys when on outstation trips. It can become a major hassel if the battery runs out when one has stopped at a dhabha in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited by ACM : 3rd March 2013 at 15:37.
Old 4th March 2013, 20:21   #294
AAD
BHPian

Managed to replace the SMF with DMF in my Aria. What the difference?

Any idea if the Fortuner also uses DMF?
Old 11th March 2013, 11:20   #295
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Managed to replace the SMF with DMF in my Aria. What the difference?

Any idea if the Fortuner also uses DMF?
You mean DMF to SMF to DMF?

Fortuner has SMF to the best of my knowledge.
Old 15th March 2013, 14:00   #296
BHPian

Guys,
I hear a "tak" (bit loud) sound when the AC is on and it comes up whenever the relay switch on the compressor. Service center says this sound of the relay there in all the Arias.
They even interchanged the radiator fan and AC relay and sound still exists. I know that there can be a sound while relay is ON but this seems bit on the higher side.
Old 18th March 2013, 13:54   #297
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
Guys,
I hear a "tak" (bit loud) sound when the AC is on and it comes up whenever the relay switch on the compressor. Service center says this sound of the relay there in all the Arias.
They even interchanged the radiator fan and AC relay and sound still exists. I know that there can be a sound while relay is ON but this seems bit on the higher side.
Why did they try to interchange the radiator fan and AC relay if the sound was standard / normal.

The fact that they tried a few things implies that they have acknowledged the problem as not being normal. I do not remember hearing any such specific sound from my Aria. Though the Safari TCIC AC made all kinds of sounds as the AC switched on and off.

This could also be the sound from the AC Compressor clutch - engage - disengage or the compressor itself. Try to isolate the location of the sound and inform the service centre. If they say it is standard as them to help you by demonstrating the sound in another Aria.

I had an issue of AC blower making a tick - tick sound at lower blower volumes 1-2-3 postion not 5-10. It took 4-5 visits to get them to hear the should and finally replace the AC Blower itself after it became a bit louder. This though was an always on background sound that came when the blower fan was moving slowly only. Now it is solved.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 11:50   #298
BHPian

Thanks for the reply ACM. I got your point. I think I will pay a visit to Concorde to explain it again to get it fixed.
Old 21st March 2013, 16:13   #299
BHPian

LOL I even get this tak sound of the AC.

Never bothered about it really as my music is on very loud when I drive.

Will get it checked on my next visit to the A*S*S.

On the sound situation, one thing that the A*S*S haven't managed to get rid of is the sound of the brakes. You know you get that squealing or screeching sound from buses and trucks when they brake at signals, that kind. I get it once in a while especially on very slow speed braking. I have heard the same on my US / Europe trips on GM/Ford trucks. Any of you having something similar on your Arias.

Cheers
Old 21st March 2013, 16:37   #300
BHPian

@Sahakar, I haven't heard any squealing sound yet (touch wood )during breaking. But AC sound is there from the day one. During my second service they replicated it in another Aria and washed their hands saying common issue.

Need to get hold of them to fix this now else in third service.

Most Viewed