Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2011, 15:13   #196
BHPian

re: TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
Its really confusing when there are almost 20% discounts on
Could you shed more light on this, You can PM me if you like.
Old 6th December 2011, 16:48   #197
BHPian

re: TATA Aria Pride 4X4 - Heart over Mind or Mind in the Right Place? EDIT : Now Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappex View Post
Could you shed more light on this, You can PM me if you like.
I meant with the ongoing discounts on the Aria, is it now worth a buy or not considering the much debated Tata Aria reliability factor?

Discounts with exchange bonus adds up to 2,00,000 + corporate discount + some freebies from the dealer. Almost adds up to 20% in discounts.

Cheers
Old 6th December 2011, 19:13   #198
BHPian

Quote:
I meant with the ongoing discounts on the Aria, is it now worth a buy or not considering the much debated Tata Aria reliability factor?
I have left a post of mine on this thread.

Hope it helps!

Quote:
Discounts with exchange bonus adds up to 2,00,000 + corporate discount + some freebies from the dealer. Almost adds up to 20% in discounts.
Thanks for the info!
Old 7th December 2011, 15:07   #199
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Couple of weeks ago, when a fellow X1 owner had to change one of his.......of course, these are 225x50x17s
Yep Suman you were right the tyres are not that expensive.

It is only the Michelin Latitude Cross that were costing 17,000 plus per tyre only for size 265/65/R17.
Apollo, Yoko Geolander HT & AT all are in the range of 11000 to 12500 for 265/65/R17.
The GoodYear Wrangler and Bridgestone Dueller in the 13000 range for 235/65/R17

I decided to stay with 235/65/R17 as TATA replaced my GoodYears (all 5) for Bridgestone Duellers at 30,000 kms Free of charge due to excessive and uneven wear an tear.

Also presently there is a shortage of 265/65/R17 due to some ISI mark related issue.

Quote:
@ACM - Going thru your thread you have had a pretty good time with your Aria with minimum issues but there are others with major issues.

What do you think with the ongoing discounts on the Aria. Do you think it makes sense to go ahead and bite the bullet.

Would you using your ownership experience recommend the Aria or just ignore it till an updated version come out.

Its really confusing when there are almost 20% discounts on, to not bite the bullet and hope you won't be stuck with a lemon.

Please advise.

Cheers
Offical emailer from TATA itself says - "Celebrate The Ultimate December Offer" - TATA Aria is now available at an astounding price of Rs. 9.99 lacs*" -

this was on the Pure 4X2 varient priced 11.61L - with 1.62L off it works out to 9.99L
Pleasure 4X2 - 12.89L - 1.6L off = 11.29L
Prestige 4X2 - 14.54L - 1.6L off = 12.94L
Pride 4X4 - 16.12L - 1.6L off = 14.52L

PLUS there is an exchange bonus of 40,000 across the board - working out to a saving of 200,000 across the board for most selling varients.

Effectively they have reduced prices by 2L - They say it is for a limited period, but we do know that prices never really go back up and the discount needs to be offered in one form or another.

I guess they have reallized that they do need to bite the bullet.

QUOTING THE ABOVE FROM MY OWN POST ON THE ARIA DISCOUNT THREAD.

Yep Sahakar I do think is very good value at these prices. It is a strong sturdy vehicle.
It has minor issues (which seem almost corrected by now) but is definately not a lemon in my eyes. Not by far. And the authorized centre has supported me well so even though I bought among the first Arias I have had any all spotted defects corrected with improved replacements. It has been a year so most issues including minor ones should be sorted out. \

In Bombay do suggest Wasan at Chembur. Others might also be good but I personally only have experienced this one.
Old 7th December 2011, 15:42   #200
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Tips for initial buyers

Tips for Initial buyers.

1) Get the Goodyear wranglers replaced with Bridgestone duellers. The goodyears are crap on the Aria and they wear out close to 20-30,000 kms. So keep an eye on them and if they start wearing out get them replaced. It gets back the original ride of the vehicle and removes steering vibrations.

2) Gear Knob - The original Gear Knob (Titanium Paint on top) has a paint finish that wears off quite easily. Get that replaced with the new design one with semi matt steel finish. The Original one looked a bit better but the new one will last longer. They will replace it if it clearly looks worn out. The new one also has a leather stich that is not visble and hence does not touch the hand and hence will not were out either.

3) Door Handles. If the chrome strip falls of ask them to replace the handle or at least the chrome strip from a new handle can be taken off and replaced (better idea as then the door need not be opened and the handle need not be repainted at the dealer end and hence no colour mismatch.)

All the above was done by me under warranty. Service centre was really nice about it an pushed for approvals on my behalf.

More tips later as and when I remember them.

Got the underbody Antirust Wruth treatment done for about Rs. 3700 + Taxes. They did the Teflon for free this time. Got interior cleaning done for Rs. 1050 and Ac antifungal treatment for about 440 odd.

Crossed 30,000 kms, 1 year and finished all 5 free services. With new tyres and interior and exterior detailing and a full service the vehicle feels like new.

Now ofcourse there is a new much lower price, they had initially increased the price by about 30K and recently have dropped by 1.6L (so a net of 1.3L price drop - exchange bonus really does not amount to much as the older cars can be sold for more directly outside). If that gets the vehicle moving so be it, not too offended as an existing buyer due to the nice support from TASS.

That said it would have of course been better if any niggles had not happened at all. Am aware that they have done some changes behind doors through updates to the clutch, gear box, ecu version etc, that were not related to any problems and they would do this for all vehicle from the early batch automatically without asking when you take it for servicing.

Servicing is all about the relationship with the Service Advisor.
Old 8th December 2011, 11:08   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

Yep Sahakar I do think is very good value at these prices. It is a strong sturdy vehicle.
It has minor issues (which seem almost corrected by now) but is definately not a lemon in my eyes. Not by far. And the authorized centre has supported me well so even though I bought among the first Arias I have had any all spotted defects corrected with improved replacements. It has been a year so most issues including minor ones should be sorted out. \

In Bombay do suggest Wasan at Chembur. Others might also be good but I personally only have experienced this one.
Thanks @ACM. Your confidence will definitely help me make the decision.

I am a bit confused on the Pure or Pleasure variant. 1.5 lakhs extra for the Pleasure with mainly the airbags as the main addition seems a bit exorbitant. What do you suggest here?

Also, I love Night Shade Black but its not available on Pure or Pleasure. Should I go for the normal Black or Dark Grey. I couldn't see either colored Aria at the showroom. They had the Red and White. The showroom was saying Dark Grey doesnt look good but I suspect it was mostly as they didn't have that one in stock. Your view here please?

Cheers
Old 8th December 2011, 14:39   #202
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @ACM. Your confidence will definitely help me make the decision.

I am a bit confused on the Pure or Pleasure variant. 1.5 lakhs extra for the Pleasure with mainly the airbags as the main addition seems a bit exorbitant. What do you suggest here?

Also, I love Night Shade Black but its not available on Pure or Pleasure. Should I go for the normal Black or Dark Grey. I couldn't see either colored Aria at the showroom. They had the Red and White. The showroom was saying Dark Grey doesnt look good but I suspect it was mostly as they didn't have that one in stock. Your view here please?

Cheers
My take: Pleasure or Prestige

Night Shade Black, Ivory white, Dark Metallic Red, Dark Grey, Quartz Black - In that order.

I have seen the Dark Grey on the road and it really looks good / elegant and stands out as now we don't have too many cars on the road in that colour. Consider Ivory white only if you like white. Between both Blacks and Grey - Grey would be much more easier to maintain.

I'd say in this situation go between the Metallic Red and Grey.

Night shade back that I have (which was unique then) is by now bought by almost half the guys with Aria with White being the next most common.
Old 9th December 2011, 16:19   #203
BHPian

Quote:
My take: Pleasure or Prestige

Night Shade Black, Ivory white, Dark Metallic Red, Dark Grey, Quartz Black - In that order.

I have seen the Dark Grey on the road and it really looks good / elegant and stands out as now we don't have too many cars on the road in that colour. Consider Ivory white only if you like white. Between both Blacks and Grey - Grey would be much more easier to maintain.

I'd say in this situation go between the Metallic Red and Grey.

Night shade back that I have (which was unique then) is by now bought by almost half the guys with Aria with White being the next most common.
Thanks, @ACM.

Any reason why you have kept the Quartz Black as the last option. Doesn't the black look good. I thought that might be a good alternative to night shade black.

I wanted to buy the Pleasure but for some reason, the Pleasure ex-showroom is almost 30K more at the dealership, than what is there on the Tata website.

Here's Pure ex showroom - 1185244
Here's Pleasure ex showroom at the dealership - 1316408
Here's Pleasure ex showroom at the Tata website - 1288092

I need to take that up with the dealership but if they do not reduce, then I find the Pleasure not a value buy at all.

Cheers
Old 9th December 2011, 16:40   #204
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, @ACM.

Any reason why you have kept the Quartz Black as the last option. Doesn't the black look good. I thought that might be a good alternative to night shade black.

I wanted to buy the Pleasure but for some reason, the Pleasure ex-showroom is almost 30K more at the dealership, than what is there on the Tata website.

Here's Pure ex showroom - 1185244
Here's Pleasure ex showroom at the dealership - 1316408
Here's Pleasure ex showroom at the Tata website - 1288092

I need to take that up with the dealership but if they do not reduce, then I find the Pleasure not a value buy at all.

Cheers
Black does catch a lot of noticeable scratches over time and is hard to maintain - true for most dark colour. night shade black is not that dark it is a bit brownish plus unique so is someways it is justified going for that black. But hey go for the colour that you like.

It may be as one price includes local state/ city taxes and one does not. I had noticed when I bought the vehicle for example that for Mumbai prices octroi was included and for Thane it wasn't though actually Thane has 0.5% extra octroi over what Mumbai has.

Do check that out. If one goes by the advt that TATA has released there should approx be a 1.3L difference between Pure and Pleasure in which case the Pleasure price given by dealer seems correct.

I do agree with you that 1.3L for 2 airbags, controls on steering, front fog lights, glove box chiller, driver seat height adjust and rear parking sensors seems too much the difference should have been in the 80-95k range. Hence the Prestige makes more sense and if that is too high then probably the Pure. The reverse sensors is something that you can add from outside. But then it is hard to put a value to safety (the airbags) or the convenience of having steering mounted controls. Glove box chiller can be done without. Tata a seems to have gone out of it's way to give the base varient very aggresive pricing hence the anomality making it even better value for money. So maybe from the VFM point of view possibly the Prestige or the Pure make most sense.

Last edited by ACM : 9th December 2011 at 16:50.
Old 10th December 2011, 11:11   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Black does catch a lot of noticeable scratches over time and is hard to maintain - true for most dark colour. night shade black is not that dark it is a bit brownish plus unique so is someways it is justified going for that black. But hey go for the colour that you like.

It may be as one price includes local state/ city taxes and one does not. I had noticed when I bought the vehicle for example that for Mumbai prices octroi was included and for Thane it wasn't though actually Thane has 0.5% extra octroi over what Mumbai has.

Do check that out. If one goes by the advt that TATA has released there should approx be a 1.3L difference between Pure and Pleasure in which case the Pleasure price given by dealer seems correct.

I do agree with you that 1.3L for 2 airbags, controls on steering, front fog lights, glove box chiller, driver seat height adjust and rear parking sensors seems too much the difference should have been in the 80-95k range. Hence the Prestige makes more sense and if that is too high then probably the Pure. The reverse sensors is something that you can add from outside. But then it is hard to put a value to safety (the airbags) or the convenience of having steering mounted controls. Glove box chiller can be done without. Tata a seems to have gone out of it's way to give the base varient very aggresive pricing hence the anomality making it even better value for money. So maybe from the VFM point of view possibly the Prestige or the Pure make most sense.
Actually the funny part on the prices are that the Pure's prices are the same with the dealership and Tata's website but not the Pleasure and Prestige. That's the reason I am confused on why so?

I haven't been able to see black at the dealership or on the roads. I know black would be a high maintenance color but does it suit the Aria. If you take the maintenance factor away, does the Black seem better or Grey. What do you think?

Cheers
Old 12th December 2011, 09:51   #206
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I haven't been able to see black at the dealership or on the roads. I know black would be a high maintenance color but does it suit the Aria. If you take the maintenance factor away, does the Black seem better or Grey. What do you think?

Cheers
Compared to normal Back I liked Grey more. It looked unique and elegant on the car.
Old 12th December 2011, 15:03   #207
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Sound Damping /Deadning

Used Focal for Damping 4 doors in the Aria.

1) Work Done with MotorSounds Mulund (Sarvoday Nagar) Contact person Ravi PM for number if required.- Bombay.
2) Car - Aria
3) Scope - 4 Doors
4) Brand - Focal
5) Size - 4 sheets of 1' X1' in total. Used around each of the door speaker fitting and in the area right behind it.
6) Cost - Rs. 3000 - could have been negotiated to 2800 - didn't bother. (Rs. 1500 for front doors only)
7) Time 1.5 hrs.
8) Quality of work done - Very good.
9) Sound - Much better bass. Vibrations from Doors reduced.
10) Aria comes with some amount of sound Dampening in the doors from the factory itself.
11) The material is 6 mm think. One roll (box) comes in size 50 cm X 200 cm = 1 Sq mtr. MRP about 7500.

The material is three times the thickness of most other material like Dynamat Extreme as well as double the cost as well. Did not negotiate on the rates (was in that kind of a mood that day) so a bit of discount may be possible.

Will post snaps when I download them from my camera. Posted most of these details on the sound deadning thread as well.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 18:36   #208
BHPian

Thanks ACM.
Btw, is there any suggestion for cutting down the cabin noise for Safari - am looking for both the Wind-cutting and the engine noise inside the cabin.
Any suggestion ?

Prem.
Old 12th December 2011, 22:11   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM
Used Focal for Damping 4 doors in the Aria.

1) Work Done with MotorSounds Mulund (Sarvoday Nagar) Contact person Ravi PM for number if required.- Bombay.
2) Car - Aria
3) Scope - 4 Doors
4) Brand - Focal
5) Size - 4 sheets of 1' X1' in total. Used around each of the door speaker fitting and in the area right behind it.
6) Cost - Rs. 3000 - could have been negotiated to 2800 - didn't bother. (Rs. 1500 for front doors only)
7) Time 1.5 hrs.
8) Quality of work done - Very good.
9) Sound - Much better bass. Vibrations from Doors reduced.
10) Aria comes with some amount of sound Dampening in the doors from the factory itself.
11) The material is 6 mm think. One roll (box) comes in size 50 cm X 200 cm = 1 Sq mtr. MRP about 7500.

The material is three times the thickness of most other material like Dynamat Extreme as well as double the cost as well. Did not negotiate on the rates (was in that kind of a mood that day) so a bit of discount may be possible.

Will post snaps when I download them from my camera. Posted most of these details on the sound deadning thread as well.
Have you gone for any kind of ICE upgrade ?

Please elaborate if done.
Old 15th December 2011, 12:29   #210
BHPian

@ACM - Do you still use mineral engine oil in your Aria or have moved to Synthetic engine oil. What has TASS advised you?

Cheers

Most Viewed