Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2011, 11:16   #91
MCR
BHPian

Re: MRF Z.L.O Performance Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra'ul M View Post
Thanks Sagar. I can now plan accordingly.
If only someone can guide me on which tire to buy as spare as I read in this thread that there is a difference between the tires w.r.t. the sides on which they should be mounted. I am really
ra'ul,
The tyre is marked as "outside" on the outer wall. Just fit it as per that recommendation. There is nothing to worry.

All the talks in the above posts regarding aquaplaning and what not, are simple views (not that they are made by a user!) and not expert comments!
There are hundreds of people outside (read reviews on net) who are using this tyre and are completely satisfied, even in wet weather. Its just like "making a mountain out of a molehill". Disppointing but true
MCR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 11:33   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Adding to my review:

I'm more impressed with the ZLOs as I keep on driving. The grip that is available is superb! It's soft, comfortable and silent. The only thing is, I am able to feel the car roll a little more compared to the Neovas but that is a trade-off with ride comfort. Softer sidewalls on the ZLOs mean better ride comfort but slightly more body roll.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 11:35   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra'ul M View Post
Thanks Sagar. I can now plan accordingly.
If only someone can guide me on which tire to buy as spare as I read in this thread that there is a difference between the tires w.r.t. the sides on which they should be mounted. I am really

Buy the same tire as the spare too. Ideally all 5 tyres should be of same size and same brand for optimum grip and safety.

I dont understand what is your confusion of the direction since that has been clarified in the mail sent to Nikhil by MRF official. See,these are anti-symmentic tires but not directional. So ,you can use the spare on any of the four wheels.There are no felt side and right side tires seperatly in ZLO.Hope you got what i am trying to convey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Adding to my review:

I'm more impressed with the ZLOs as I keep on driving. The grip that is available is superb! It's soft, comfortable and silent. The only thing is, I am able to feel the car roll a little more compared to the Neovas but that is a trade-off with ride comfort. Softer sidewalls on the ZLOs mean better ride comfort but slightly more body roll.
Nikhil, thats good to hear. I am right now contemplating between C Drives and ZLO for my i20.But i need good wet grip too.As good as CDrives if not better. BTW is C Drive available in 185/70-14?Which size do you feel is better for i20? Current stock size is 185/65-14

Last edited by v12 : 14th December 2011 at 13:34.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 11:39   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
ra'ul,
The tyre is marked as "outside" on the outer wall. Just fit it as per that recommendation. There is nothing to worry.

All the talks in the above posts regarding aquaplaning and what not, are simple views (not that they are made by a user!) and not expert comments!
There are hundreds of people outside (read reviews on net) who are using this tyre and are completely satisfied, even in wet weather. Its just like "making a mountain out of a molehill". Disppointing but true
I could gather that from the discussions. That is why I had zeroed in on these tires. They are pretty good from what I saw and most of all they are VFM. Also, I am confident in the R&D team at MRF not making a serious error. All in all it suits my needs.
It's just that I have never used asymmetrical tires before so did not know whether there is any difference in mounting the same tire on either of the sides.

Sorry for going OT. I'll post my observations once I start running them.

edit: Confusion cleared by Sagar. Thanks for all the help guys. I am getting them fitted tonight.

Last edited by ra'ul M : 14th December 2011 at 11:43.
Old 14th December 2011, 12:16   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Nikhil, thats good to hear. I am right now contemplating between C Drives and ZLO for my i20.But i need good wet grip too.As good as CDrives if not better. BTW is C Drive available in 185/70-14?Which size do you feel is better for i20? Current stock size is 185/65-14
In 185/65-14, nothing is available. ZLO is not made in that size. C drive is currently out of stock. The company says it will be coming by the end of this month.

In 185/70-14, you get ZLOs but C drives arent made in this size.

Also, I think 185/70-14 is a wrong size for the i20. I wouldnt suggest it. I would suggest you stick to 185/65-14 or 195/60-14.

I think the ZLOs are much better than the C drives. This is MY opinion after having driven about 1500 kms on the ZLOs.

YMMV.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2011, 12:27   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In 185/65-14, nothing is available. ZLO is not made in that size. C drive is currently out of stock. The company says it will be coming by the end of this month.

In 185/70-14, you get ZLOs but C drives arent made in this size.

Also, I think 185/70-14 is a wrong size for the i20. I wouldnt suggest it. I would suggest you stick to 185/65-14 or 195/60-14.

I think the ZLOs are much better than the C drives. This is MY opinion after having driven about 1500 kms on the ZLOs.

YMMV.

You have put me in a fix Nikhil!

C-drives -> not as good as ZLO.Not in stock as well.
But available in 185/65-14.

ZLO-> Better than C Drive.But not available in 185/65-14.

What harm will happen if i upsize to 185/70 Nikhil? Apart from the speedo error?
Old 14th December 2011, 13:10   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

It could end up fouling with the wheel arches on full load. It is too tall. a 5% taller tyre is a little too much for me!

Why dont you consider the ZLOs in 195/60-14?
Old 14th December 2011, 13:33   #98
BHPian

Nitto Tire - Fueled by Enthusiasts

In the above link the only tire that is asymmetric and bidirectional is the INVO, all other tires are unidirectional and among them NT420s and Neogen are assymetric too. The NT420s looks at first glance to be bidirectional but they actually are unidirectional and asymmetric. I hope you get the point.
Old 17th December 2011, 21:45   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Nitto Tire - Fueled by Enthusiasts

In the above link the only tire that is asymmetric and bidirectional is the INVO, all other tires are unidirectional and among them NT420s and Neogen are assymetric too. The NT420s looks at first glance to be bidirectional but they actually are unidirectional and asymmetric. I hope you get the point.
When we click on the picture, the website says that the pattern is non-directional.

All-Season Truck & SUV Radial

The NT420S features a non-directional, asymmetrical pattern that provides confident performance, rain or shine.

The outer shoulder has large, continuous blocks to improve dry traction, while the inner shoulder channels away water for wet performance. The NT420S can be cross-rotated so it wears more evenly across the tire. This feature ensures a quieter, more comfortable ride and longer tread life. The result is a comfortable, ultra high performance radial.
Unquote

Last edited by Johnn : 17th December 2011 at 21:47. Reason: correcting the first line
Old 18th December 2011, 13:22   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnn View Post
When we click on the picture, the website says that the pattern is non-directional.
Very similar to what MRF claim for their ZLO. I am sure these tire manufacturers do know that there should have been left and right tires but economies of scale does not permit differentiated sets of tires for the left and then for the right. All we have to note is that in the event there is a V pattern on the tread the join of the V should hit the tarmac first on a rolling tire.
Old 5th January 2012, 15:31   #101
Senior - BHPian

After a 4000km highway trip on 195/60 R14 ZLO's fitted on my Honda Brio, I can honestly say these tyres are better than the Michelin PP2s I had on the Cedia before and very close to the current Advan Neovas in terms of grip.

The ride is a bit firmer than the stock goodyears but still very very good for a sports tyre. The steering is also much more weighed in and the car tracks beautifully. The steering is still very sharp and there is absolutely no tramlining which was a major issue with Michelin asymmetric patterns.

Dry grip is outstanding - even when cornering at the limits of the car, I couldn't get the tyre to squeal one bit - no complaints whatsoever. I drove a bit in the rain while exiting Calcutta and the wet weather grip was stellar as well - no aquaplaning, no skidding - just pure grip.

Now for the bad bits - at highway speeds, they are very very noisy. This is quite in contrast to city speeds where they are very quiet. The wear rate also feels quite substantial for an MRF - this will last 30k km and no more. The tyre's grooves don't feel as well finished as an Advan Neova or a PP2. However this is only aesthetic and doesn't affect performance in anyway.

Also please be careful for the first 500 or so km when hard braking unsettles the rear end of the car a bit. Once the tyres wore out a bit, braking was as expected and in a straight line.

Finally for the price these tyres are being sold at, they are the biggest bargain ever! Thumbs up to MRF for bringing out a tyre for enthusiasts.
reignofchaos is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 16:41   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Just for some background on ROC's car, he got the car delivered on a Wednesday, changed to ZLOs the same day and left to Calcutta on Saturday!

Glad to hear you love the tyres. How about a set for your Cedia now?
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2012, 16:55   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just for some background on ROC's car, he got the car delivered on a Wednesday, changed to ZLOs the same day and left to Calcutta on Saturday!

Glad to hear you love the tyres. How about a set for your Cedia now?
Let them come out with 205/55 R15. Will change then .
Old 5th January 2012, 17:06   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

What harm will happen if i upsize to 185/70 Nikhil? Apart from the speedo error?
Am running 185/70 R 14 in my i20 for the last 2 + years... No problems and wheel fouling whatsoever. Even with 5 passengers + luggage..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...s-img_1441.jpg

Last edited by AbhiJ : 5th January 2012 at 17:08.
Old 8th January 2012, 11:20   #105
BHPian

Hello Guys,

Firstly, happy new year to you all.

My cousin got his Ritz LXI delivered on 6th and straight away went to Madhus to get a set of 185/70 R14 tyres as the stock 165/80 is very skinny.

Had an option to go with Yoko A-drives and MRF ZLOs. After reading Nikhil's review on it, I told my cousin to go ahead with the ZLOs.

My bit on the tyres, very unique tread pattern and brilliant noise suppression. Very comfortable ride quality and bump absorption. Steering feedback has improved a notch but braking will only improve once the tyre sets in.

Overall, very happy with this MRF product.
srinath34 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks