Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2012, 15:02   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: MRF Z.L.O Performance Tyres

Changed the tyres of my Swift VXi to MRF ZLO 185/70 R14 tyres. The prices have increased by 3%. I paid a total of Rs. 20000 for 5 tyres and Rs. 200 for wheel balancing weights. Alignment etc. was free. I also found that one of my rims is gone and need to be replaced.

The recommended tyre pressure for this size for Swift ZXi as per Maruti is 29 psi. @Nikhil, any idea if this is the ideal pressure? Currently it is at 32 psi on my car.
Old 21st May 2012, 23:57   #152
Senior - BHPian

Any long term (20k kms+) feedback on the ZLOs?
Old 22nd May 2012, 12:28   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Any long term (20k kms+) feedback on the ZLOs?
I have covered around 12k + kms on the ZLO .
Observation till date :-
1. Braking/grip is superb
2. Road noise is on the higher side on highways
3. No punctures till date - touchwood
4. Have not tested high speeds grip on wet conditions, but on normal speed the grip is good .

Hope it helps .
Cheers
Schoudhury is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 13:34   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
2. Road noise is on the higher side on highways
Thanks !!!

A few more queries if you will.

From what speeds is it audible/high?
Has it increased in these 12k kms? Or was it the same from the beginning?
How are the treads holding up? Any perceptible wear?
Old 22nd May 2012, 13:58   #155
Senior - BHPian

My car has done around 9000km. I concur with schoudhury. I did have one puncture though - a nail went straight into the tyre.

Not much road noise at city speeds. However it does increase past speeds of 100. However this noise is still no way close to the racket that the yoko ad07 makes on my cedia. In comparison, the ZLO's are silent.

I can also add that wet grip is superb - haven't seen anything wrong with wet grip.

One issue is that the sidewalls are way softer than the ad07 and as a result body roll is not as controlled as it should be with a sports tyre. Other than that, nothing much to complain about.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 22nd May 2012 at 13:59.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 14:33   #156
Senior - BHPian

I'll replacing the set on my Baleno soon. And I am trying to find a balance between noise, grip and longevity at the minimum possible price.

The new set will
- run more than 2200kms per month.
- be used 100% within the city
- run 99% of the time at max 80kmph
- run 1% of the time at max 120kmph
- will on rare occasions need to take corners at a moderate click (not at the edge at all)
- need to have excellent braking
- need to fairly silent (at least less than F1s which tend to become noisy from 30K kms at speeds of 60+ kmph)

Now, the cheap (<4500) options for 195/60/14 are probably the ZLOs, A drives and maybe the Acceleres.

While the A-Drive and Accelere would possibly outlast the ZLOs, if the ZLO's last me 40K kms I'd be happy.

Just to give a reference point about my usage. My current set of GSD3 F1s have done 38K kms. I can easily run them for another 5K. The Goodyear shop says I can use them for another 10k !

So .. would the ZLOs suit my requirements?
Old 22nd May 2012, 14:58   #157
BHPian

Quote:
I'll replacing the set on my Baleno soon. And I am trying to find a balance between noise, grip and longevity at the minimum possible price.
Just to give a reference point about my usage. My current set of GSD3 F1s have done 38K kms. I can easily run them for another 5K. The Goodyear shop says I can use them for another 10k !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
I have covered around 12k + kms on the ZLO .
Observation till date :-
Hope it helps .
Cheers
Your review inspired me to go for the MRF's, add to that the cost factor, 4k per tyre sounded reasonable.

Last edited by Technocrat : 22nd May 2012 at 21:13. Reason: Please quote selectively & avoid quoting large posts as it inconveniences our Mobile readers, thanks
musicmanaman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 15:06   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Go for it Dada.
Infact the road @ kolkata are far better then here in south, so i dont think you will face any issues.
Moreover for city driving i dont think you will hear any road noise, but yes if you get to drive on those tram rail-track you will get to hear some noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
Your review inspired me to go for the MRF's, add to that the cost factor, 4k per tyre sounded reasonable.
Thanks .
Yes, these tyres are good. I was also not sure how it will be , but always had a feeling that MRF should suit indian conditions better than any other .

Cheers.
Schoudhury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 23:14   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
My car has done around 9000km. I concur with schoudhury. I did have one puncture though - a nail went straight into the tyre.

Not much road noise at city speeds. However it does increase past speeds of 100. However this noise is still no way close to the racket that the yoko ad07 makes on my cedia. In comparison, the ZLO's are silent.

I can also add that wet grip is superb - haven't seen anything wrong with wet grip.

One issue is that the sidewalls are way softer than the ad07 and as a result body roll is not as controlled as it should be with a sports tyre. Other than that, nothing much to complain about.
How do these tires compare with the Michelin Primacy LC?i am planning to change the tires of cedia soon!!i currently run on the stock Bridgestones!!

i am bit concerned about the sidewalls as the roads in these parts are really terrible once the monsoons start!!
Old 22nd May 2012, 23:33   #160
BHPian

I too hummed and hawed between the various brands to replace my stock Bridgestone.
Wanted to experiment a bit after running them on my 316i, my Esteem and the current drive, Corolla.

MRF seemed like a temptation being Rs 700 approx lesser than Michelin Primacy LC. Finally went for Primacy LC last month. Wanted to run them in before the monsoon blows in.

They are great, in-cabin noise in lesser. Especially on the crappy interlocked tiles that have been shoddily installed all over Mumbai. Ride, grip is great, but then they are new.

My opinion? Since you can't test drive tyres, and there's no exchange policy, I went for the more expensive ones, hoping money will buy happiness, for once.
Old 23rd May 2012, 14:09   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
How do these tires compare with the Michelin Primacy LC?i am planning to change the tires of cedia soon!!i currently run on the stock Bridgestones!!

i am bit concerned about the sidewalls as the roads in these parts are really terrible once the monsoons start!!
I've never used primacy LC so I can't comment. However I've used Michelin PP2 earlier on my cedia. If that experience is to go by, I'd say the michelins will have a better ride, will be more silent but won't have the grip that the ZLO's have.

Michelins have even softer sidewalls than ZLO.
Old 24th May 2012, 00:28   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automaton View Post
I too hummed and hawed between the various brands to replace my stock Bridgestone.
Wanted to experiment a bit after running them on my 316i, my Esteem and the current drive, Corolla.

MRF seemed like a temptation being Rs 700 approx lesser than Michelin Primacy LC. Finally went for Primacy LC last month. Wanted to run them in before the monsoon blows in.

They are great, in-cabin noise in lesser. Especially on the crappy interlocked tiles that have been shoddily installed all over Mumbai. Ride, grip is great, but then they are new.
Quote:
I've never used primacy LC so I can't comment. However I've used Michelin PP2 earlier on my cedia. If that experience is to go by, I'd say the michelins will have a better ride, will be more silent but won't have the grip that the ZLO's have.

Michelins have even softer sidewalls than ZLO.
I guess in that case i should better opt for the ZLOs!!they are cheaper and have stronger side-walls which is important once the monsoons turn our roads into craters!!

I had a bad experience with Michelin energy xm1 on my palio-got a sidewall puncture driving on a very bad stretch of road
Old 24th May 2012, 11:32   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Is there a noticeable mileage change after swapping the AD07's with the ZLO's?

Im planing on swapping my AD's for the ZLO as the mileage hit(around 2kmpl) is a bit too much to digest and they have barely another 5k kms life left.

Cheers!

Last edited by james : 24th May 2012 at 11:33.
Old 24th May 2012, 17:31   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Is there a noticeable mileage change after swapping the AD07's with the ZLO's?

Im planing on swapping my AD's for the ZLO as the mileage hit(around 2kmpl) is a bit too much to digest and they have barely another 5k kms life left.

Cheers!
The AD07 is on a different car . That is on my cedia. ZLO is on my brio. However I'm sure mileage will take a hit. All asymmetric patterns seem to give lower mileage IMHO. When I moved to AD07 from the Michelin PP2 I got a mileage boost of atleast 2km/l

Last edited by reignofchaos : 24th May 2012 at 17:32.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 18:32   #165
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The AD07 is on a different car . That is on my cedia. ZLO is on my brio. However I'm sure mileage will take a hit. All asymmetric patterns seem to give lower mileage IMHO. When I moved to AD07 from the Michelin PP2 I got a mileage boost of atleast 2km/l
Assuming when you changed from Michelin PP2 to AD-07 the tyre size was the same the mileage boost is amazing especially since the AD-07 are stickier.

If the size of AD-07 was smaller then it's a simple case of speedo error. one size less and you would easily get 2kmpl more mileage.

Most Viewed