Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2022, 15:55   #451
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyjack View Post

So.....am I unhappy with the tyres. Not really, but at the same time, I'm not really jumping with joy. Since most of my driving is on the broken roads of Gurgaon, with only 2 or 3 long road trips a year, I'll live.
Thanks for sharing your honest opinion Skippyjack. I sort of was in the exact same situation where dealer was full on vouching for Michelin LTX but looking at the tread pattern I just couldnt believe it will be as noise free as a HT tire. I was very suspicious of Contis quality but they seemed the best vfm HT option in that size.

If its really bothering, you could check with a Conti dealer for trade in deal. LTX are more expensive than Contis.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 15:48   #452
BHPian

Need some advice from the XUV500 community.

My 2017 XUV500 has done 37k kms. Previous owner may not have rotated the tires so front tires are balding while rear tires have very good tread depth. Pictures attached.

My dilemma:
  1. Should I change just the balding front tires? Seems logical but I would then be bound to Bridgestone to have the same tread on all tires. Also, aware this is not the most preferred option as the tires will then have different level of traction causing over/under steer depending on where the new set goes (front/back).
    Is it advisable to do a different set? As in Bridgestones and Yoko? I suppose not.
  2. Or, change all 4 at the same time? Will I get anything back for the decent set?
  3. Or, should I drive for another 10k and then decide?

I did consult some tire shops nearby.

Tire Empire (Whitefield) tried to put me on panic mode asking me not to drive on highways, or drive over 80 because "family" is important and tires may heat up and explode. Asked me to change immediately.

Bridgestone dealer in Whitefield (Siddapura) said I can drive another 10k, then change only two balding tires with the same Bridgestone set as the original tires.

I am a first time XUV500 owner and have driven the car only for 7k kms. I do find the ride bumpy...the metal reflectors on the roads are easily felt. I can see my wife almost getting dislodged while going over the bumps inside the apartment at low speeds (~15kms). The Mahindra showroom guy said XUV500 ride is "like this only" and nothing is wrong with the shock absorber. If I have to change all 4, I may go for Yoko Geolander 015, Continental CC LX2 or Michelin Primacy SUV. Driving is a mix of urban, highways and broken/rural roads during road trips. No challenging trips planned in near future (Bangalore - Hampi in OCt and Bangalore - Rameshwaram in Dec)...but I do drive to triple digits (120 kmph) when the road allows...sometimes over that as well

Appreciate inputs on above and also suggestions on dealers near Whitefield. Thanks !
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-whatsapp-image-20221015-3.21.31-pm-1.jpeg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-whatsapp-image-20221015-3.21.31-pm.jpeg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-whatsapp-image-20221015-3.21.30-pm.jpeg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-whatsapp-image-20221015-3.21.29-pm.jpeg  

Old 17th October 2022, 10:18   #453

Quote:
I can understand your dilemma. But looking at the condition of your tyres, both front and rear, replacement seems to be the most suitable option. Bridgestones have a horrible ride quality and the grip is also quite pathetic. I suffered through my OEM Bridgestones for 40,000 km before upgrading to Michelins. My experience of Michelin LTX Trail is given above. Now having lived with these tyres for 5000 km, my experience has shifted massively towards positive. The ride quality has totally transformed. So much so, it appears as if I'm driving a car that is a segment higher. The grip is phenomenal. Slight road noise above 90 kmph is a small price to pay.

I've digressed. Yes, coming to your tyres, you should get them replaced, all four of them. Your driving experience will be totally transformed.
Skippyjack is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 11:44   #454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post

I am a first time XUV500 owner and have driven the car only for 7k kms. I do find the ride bumpy...the metal reflectors on the roads are easily felt. I can see my wife almost getting dislodged while going over the bumps inside the apartment at low speeds (~15kms). The Mahindra showroom guy said XUV500 ride is "like this only" and nothing is wrong with the shock absorber. If I have to change all 4, I may go for Yoko Geolander 015, Continental CC LX2 or Michelin Primacy SUV. Driving is a mix of urban, highways and broken/rural roads during road trips. No challenging trips planned in near future (Bangalore - Hampi in OCt and Bangalore - Rameshwaram in Dec)...but I do drive to triple digits (120 kmph) when the road allows...sometimes over that as well

Appreciate inputs on above and also suggestions on dealers near Whitefield. Thanks !
I sort of agree with tire empire and suggest that you change or avoid highway drives with balding tires. Why to increase chances of accident when you can avoid it. Going by tread pattern depth ideally the rear looks pretty good but being bridgestones and 5yr old, they are certainly going to be hard and noisy. I would suggest that you swap all 4 one shot with something better. This would be the single biggest upgrade that you can do with your preowned car. It makes a dramatic difference to handling and feel.

Skippy has given feedback on Michelin LTX, and I have on Conti CCLX2 earlier in the thread. If you are mainly sticking to highways and city, then go for HT tires. Offlate I hear Michelin Primacy SUV is also becoming available, so that should be your 1st choice followed by CCLX2.
Old 18th October 2022, 10:08   #455
BHPian

Need advice/recommendation.

I am about to replace the tires (existing tires are at the fag end of life) for my Harrier in a day/two.

As you know that Harrier is not a 4*4/AWD and I also don't do off-roading. My stock tires are Goodyear Wrangler H/T which did its purpose to put the car on road. It is already at the end of its lifecycle with just about 47K kms on the odo. But nothing exciting as such. I am a driving enthusiast and my next tire should be better in these parameters - handling, comfort, braking (dry and wet), noise reduction, and of course durability as well. My driving is >80% good roads and <20% no roads/roads full of potholes/mud roads (the typical Indian road conditions).

I am more aligned towards H/T tires than A/T tires because of the use case. I have shortlisted Conti CC LX2 and Michelin Primacy SUV. Michelin's availability is not a concern. However, the dealer is pushing for the Michelin LTX trail instead of the Primacy SUV.

From a lot of posts mentioned above, I understand that LTX is noisy compared to LX2 or Primacy. Then, what do you recommend for my use case or should I go ahead with LTX?
Old 18th October 2022, 10:20   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Skippy has given feedback on Michelin LTX, and I have on Conti CCLX2 earlier in the thread. If you are mainly sticking to highways and city, then go for HT tires. Offlate I hear Michelin Primacy SUV is also becoming available, so that should be your 1st choice followed by CCLX2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
I recently got Michelin Primacy SUV+ on my XUV700 and would definitely recommend them to anyone looking for a quieter and softer ride as compared to OEM tires (MRF in my case).They are on the pricier side but worth it, you also get Michelin Pilot Sport at about same price but I was told they are a little more performance oriented and rides slightly stiffer and has less life compared to Primacy SUV.
Sandegov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 11:17   #457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandegov View Post
I recently got Michelin Primacy SUV+ on my XUV700 and would definitely recommend them to anyone looking for a quieter and softer ride as compared to OEM tires (MRF in my case).
How do you compare it with LX2 and LTX trail?
Old 18th October 2022, 11:59   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
Need advice/recommendation.

I am about to replace the tires (existing tires are at the fag end of life) for my Harrier in a day/two.

As you know that Harrier is not a 4*4/AWD and I also don't do off-roading. My stock tires are Goodyear Wrangler H/T which did its purpose to put the car on road. It is already at the end of its lifecycle with just about 47K kms on the odo. But nothing exciting as such. I am a driving enthusiast and my next tire should be better in these parameters - handling, comfort, braking (dry and wet), noise reduction, and of course durability as well. My driving is >80% good roads and <20% no roads/roads full of potholes/mud roads (the typical Indian road conditions).

I am more aligned towards H/T tires than A/T tires because of the use case. I have shortlisted Conti CC LX2 and Michelin Primacy SUV. Michelin's availability is not a concern. However, the dealer is pushing for the Michelin LTX trail instead of the Primacy SUV.

From a lot of posts mentioned above, I understand that LTX is noisy compared to LX2 or Primacy. Then, what do you recommend for my use case or should I go ahead with LTX?
If driving dynamics are the key then stick with HT. Anyways with FWD harrier you will never do real off roading for which AT will come in handy. I did entire leh trip on my XUV500 with HT tires and nothing that it couldn't handle. I feel the compromise of reduced comfort, increase road noise is not worth on an AT unless its an AWD or a 4x4 car.
Old 18th October 2022, 12:15   #459
BHPian

Quote:
If driving dynamics are the key then stick with HT. Anyways with FWD harrier you will never do real off roading for which AT will come in handy. I did entire leh trip on my XUV500 with HT tires and nothing that it couldn't handle. I feel the compromise of reduced comfort, increase road noise is not worth on an AT unless its an AWD or a 4x4 car.
So then what is your recommendation between LX2 and Primacy SUV
Old 18th October 2022, 18:37   #460
BHPian

Quote:
How do you compare it with LX2 and LTX trail?
Can't comment on comparison as I don't have any experience with LX2 or LTX - but from what I have read online you can expect them to last longer than Primacy and be slightly stiffer and noisier.
Old 18th October 2022, 18:47   #461
BHPian

I finally chose Michelin Primacy SUV+ over Conti CCLX2 because it was available and 2022 manufactured.

Even LTX trail was also available and the dealer was pushing it on me (He was saying that LTX Trail is not an A/T but a Semi which was too lame a justification on why should I go with LTX Trail). But my use case doesn't require an A/T tire.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 14:01   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I finally chose Michelin Primacy SUV+ over Conti CCLX2 because it was available and 2022 manufactured.

Even LTX trail was also available and the dealer was pushing it on me (He was saying that LTX Trail is not an A/T but a Semi which was too lame a justification on why should I go with LTX Trail). But my use case doesn't require an A/T tire.
You surely made the right choice. They would be my 1st preference too. Do share your feedback and result. Remember its takes about 500km for the tires to wear in.
Old 21st October 2022, 16:22   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyjack View Post
My experience of Michelin LTX Trail is given above. Now having lived with these tyres for 5000 km, my experience has shifted massively towards positive. The ride quality has totally transformed. So much so, it appears as if I'm driving a car that is a segment higher. The grip is phenomenal. Slight road noise above 90 kmph is a small price to pay
Quote:
I sort of agree with tire empire and suggest that you change or avoid highway drives with balding tires.
Thanks Skippyjack and Supertinu for your inputs. Have gotten Michelin LTX trail from Tyre Empire Whitefield. INR 14k per tyre plus INR 2.8k for WA/WB (roadforce synch). They were pushing heavily for premium 3D diagnostics and wheelforce synchronization (INR 6k) but I chose to decline that. Reason: Had read somewhere on this forum that Michelin is the only tire that claims it does not require that RED/YELLOW dot alignment due to their superior construction quality. That's what I understood wheelforce synch to be doing.

Was given a measly and shameful INR 200 buyback . They said these tires are not easy to resell as there are no yellow plates in this category.

Sai (ITPL) was slightly cheaper but they did not have roadforce synchronization and tire empire is almost walkable from home hence went with them.

Chose over Primacy (same price as LTX Trail) as I have a slightly aggressive driving pattern over broken roads. Also, confirmation bias played a role - the Michelin site calls LTX Trail a 90% on-road and 10% off-road tire, and there is an "ST" on the label which the tire guys said stands for "silent tire"

Initial impressions are good - feeling broken roads lesser in the cabin...guess that would be true for most new tires though.

Yet to drive much so will post reviews later. Treads look mean
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-whatsapp-image-20221021-4.16.32-pm.jpeg  

Old 21st October 2022, 17:26   #464

Many congratulations to you Zing. You've made an excellent choice. And you got the tyres at a good price as well. These tyres will grow on to you. Wishing you many many miles of happy motoring.
Skippyjack is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 18:20   #465
BHPian

Quote:
So then what is your recommendation between LX2 and Primacy SUV
From user experiences here, LX2 adoption was boosted by sheer availability. Over my several stops at tire shops in the last few months...for a long time the choice was largely only Yokohama Geolander (G015) and LX2...with dealers pushing LX2 as the all-rounder and G015 being a noisy tire.

Now that Michelins are available again, if HT tire is what you want, and cost difference isn't huge, Primacy gets the tick in my opinion. Note that my opinion is based purely on knowledge gained by scanned this (entire!) thread over past several weeks

That said, you would not repent choosing either.

Sorry for providing Ravi Shastri style pitch report "Toss winner should bat first but I won't be surprised if they bowl first"
zing is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks