Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2020, 11:47   #406
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hi
My first querry on Team BHP.
My Beast XUV 500 W8 2WD has done 63k on Bridgestone dueller (Stock tyres).Am planning to change to Ceat CZAR AT 235/65/17 since planning to sell in a year or two.
But i have not seen any report or review about this tyre in tyre thread.Could any one please enlighten me about it.Am a new member,& probably might have missed any earlier reply though i went through the thread
Old 3rd January 2021, 14:05   #407

Hello fellow members,

I have a 2015 XUV W7 (Silver) which recently completed 53k on stock steel rims. I was thinking of replacing them with Alloys and had zeroed down on Plati PY 865 17" model. Image below:

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-plati-alloy-image.jpg

The dealer I spoke to - Super Tyres LLP, Mulund West, Mumbai, advised that these are zero offset alloys and will not be a problem in vehicle stability as long as wheel alignment / balancing was done properly.

He whatsapped the following images of an XUV which had them fitted from Plati's FB page:

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-plati-alloy-image-2.jpg

My query is as follows:

1. Has anyone tried or used this brand? I could not find many designs / brands for XUV during my research, will be happy to be pointed in new directions if possible

2. These are zero offset alloys and the tyre is likely to protrude outside a bit, are there any major issues it can lead to? Or can i just fit them and expect a normal everyday driving exeprience

3. I plan to put them on my stock Bridgestones, whom multiple tyre dealers upon inspection have said can last another 10k kms. Is it ok to assume the tyres will not get impacted?

My driving is mostly in Mumbai city and occasionally on highways for weekends with family

Await your suggestions and advise.
Old 14th January 2021, 15:54   #408
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis_500 View Post

1. Has anyone tried or used this brand? I could not find many designs / brands for XUV during my research, will be happy to be pointed in new directions if possible

I own a 2019 W7 MT, I have done a lots of research on the alloy options for the XUV, due to the unique PCD and wheel lugs combo, there are very few options available.

Plati alloys have few options and their PY007 Design is my personal favorite.

I personally have no experience with Plati alloys but quite a few members here have these on their cars, in case you like the design, you can surely go for it.
Old 18th January 2021, 21:37   #409

Hi
Fellow members I had a query regarding the tyres on the XUV Car is used to travel to Konkan. And other long distances. Used 3 sets of Bridgestones. Each lasted roughly 50-55k kms. Michelin for 40k kms. Which one should I go for now?
Regards.
TwinTurbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 10:36   #410
BHPian

Bridgestone were stock tyres when I purchased it in 2013.They seem to last for ages. However, the ride starts getting noisy & bumpy as the tyres become hard.

I inquired similarly about Ceat tyres AT or HP in November 2020. But, it seems nobody among evolved BHPians buys them. But since I was getting a good deal, I went for Ceat HP in November 2020.

I completed 1,500 km with mostly city & highway driving up to Pen & Alibaug. I was pleasantly surprised to find the drastic improvement
1)in ride comfort
2) significant reduction in road noise
3) road grip was excellent

They are similar to Michellin treadwise & softness wise at a much lesser cost. I suggest trying them. It will save a few bucks as well.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th January 2021 at 18:11. Reason: Formatting for better readability
Vijay T is offline   Received Infraction
Old 17th February 2021, 06:49   #411
BHPian

Guys, with the tyre import ban, the choices for global brands has reduced. Either one needs to buy older manufacturing tyres or buy local brands. Yoko have india made Geolandars and pricing is same as the import ones. My feeling is that the rubber quality will be poorer.

I think if I am buying india made tyres then paying premium for a global badge does not make sense.

Good year tyres are available almost 15%-20% cheaper than other brands and I wanted any views on those who are using/have used Good year tyres before. There are 3 tyres available in XUV size:

Wrangler Triplemax - mileage focussed/highway terrain rated tyre - cheapest of the 3
Wrangler AT Silentarmor - Proper All Terrain tyre - most expensive of the 3
Wrangler AT Silenttrac - AT tyre with good road manners and silent - price in the middle of the 3

I am leaning towards silenttrac. My target usage is ~25k Kms after which i will be looking to replace my XUV. If there are any views on any of the above tyres or any other suggestions for comfort oriented grippy tyres, please advise

I currently drive Thailand Made Yoko GO15s which have done 65k kms and have tread for max 4-5k Kms.
Old 17th February 2021, 09:22   #412
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram31 View Post
Wrangler AT Silenttrac - AT tyre with good road manners and silent - price in the middle of the 3.
I currently drive Thailand Made Yoko GO15s which have done 65k kms and have tread for max 4-5k Kms.
I do not think Silent Armor is available in India. Indian website does not show and dealers too don't have this.

As far as Silentrac is considered, my dealer recommends this. I too saw it on a Fortuner and it looked nice.

Wanted to ask, how is your experience with Geolander as far as air leak / puncture and sidewalls go.

Thanks.
Old 17th February 2021, 10:22   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I do not think Silent Armor is available in India. Indian website does not show and dealers too don't have this.

As far as Silentrac is considered, my dealer recommends this. I too saw it on a Fortuner and it looked nice.

Wanted to ask, how is your experience with Geolander as far as air leak / puncture and sidewalls go.

Thanks.
Hi Sheel, experience with Geolandars has been fantastic. HAs seen a few punctures but was mostly due to nails which is normal. Zero sidewall issues. Soft compound so very good ride. If I dont get enough feedback on silenttrac I may go for geolandars again happily
vikram31 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 12:22   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram31 View Post

I am leaning towards silenttrac. My target usage is ~25k Kms after which i will be looking to replace my XUV. If there are any views on any of the above tyres or any other suggestions for comfort oriented grippy tyres, please advise

Hi, if your target usage is 25k, I would suggest homegrown brand Ceat tyres HP or AT for your XUV.

I purchased HP & found very satisfying results on improved ride quality, reduced road noise & saved lot of bucks compared to Bridgestone or Michellin. They are even less costlier than MRF.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st February 2021 at 13:07. Reason: Space after punctuation. Can we request you to proofread your posts before submitting? Thanks.
Vijay T is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 21:42   #415
BHPian

Need to change my pirelli scorpion atrs which served for good 50k and now have become very noisy. Looking at michelin ltx force or bridgstone dueller or goodyear silentrac. Any suggestions?
Old 11th March 2021, 22:44   #416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis_500 View Post
Hello fellow members,

I have a 2015 XUV W7 (Silver) which recently completed 53k on stock steel rims. I was thinking of replacing them with Alloys and had zeroed down on Plati PY 865 17" model. Image below:

Await your suggestions and advise.
Plati is a good brand and has come up with some options for XUV500. I have used them on three of my steeds before and completely satisfied. I got my steed's alloys changed to PLATI PY-1012 (17*8.5J with 139PCD). Check out *The official alloy wheel show-off thread*- post #5661.
Old 15th March 2021, 15:29   #417
BHPian

Update - michelin is out of stock till April. Not able to find much reviews for wrangler silentrac. Any one with silentrac here?
Old 28th March 2021, 07:19   #418
BHPian

Hi everyone, finally took the plunge yesterday and changed my 67k run GEOLANDARs GO15s to the same veryson albeit the made in india set this time.

I started by looking at 4 tyres:

1. Ceat Czar A/T
2. Goodyear Silenttrac
3. Conti Cross Contact LX2
4. Yokohama Geolandar GO15

1. On Ceat Czar the feedback I got from friends who have recently changed SUV tyres - Ceat is just entering the SUV segment and is known for 2W and truck tyres. dont have a history of making reliable SUV tyres - Online reviews thre up very few hits. Decided to give it a miss. Px quoted: 10200 per tyre

2. Good year confused me when I visited the dealer - They have 4-5 options in XUVs size which is huge. From the entry level triplemax to wrangler hp to wrangler at silentarmor to wrangler at silenttrac. The dealer told me the reason for so many options is that they are essentially a cheap oem maker who have never had a replacement tyre market strategy. When one product fails they just introduce a new product to stay in news and the older product slowly fades out. Unless the client is looking for the cheapest tyres to replace their oem tyres, they have zero USP. I am not in that segment of shopping so decided to give it a miss. Price quoted 9200 per tyre

3. On Cont Cross Contact LX2 - I quite liked the tyre design and it looked like I am buying an upmarket product. However, given a lot of other companies are giving an unconditional warranty on premium SUV tyres (>10000 per tyre) range, Conti had a standard warranty of 12 months with riders. Additionally, in my visit to 6 multi brand dealers, only 2 had stock and 1 of them wanted a day's notice to procure the XUV size. The tyre also had limited online reviews. It was in two minds on this one. Price quoted 12000 per tyre

4. Finally checked the local Yoko store for latest GO15s and they had mid march 2021 manufactured inventory! I asked how come they have such new inventory and they told me that thanks to Yoko's smart strategy to move manufacturing and support early on entirely to India and redo warranty inline with Indian requirements, The Geolandars have been their fastest moving tyres and they are always on running order with the manufacturer. He said that with Michelin and Pirelli gone due to import ban, that entire segment has no choice to switch to Yokos. In addition it was a 2 min process to setup online warranty which is 18 months unconditional and prorated (They will evaluate how much of the tyre is used and charge a replacement fee). I liked this given I had an experience of busting one of my previous Geolandars at just 8k kms and had to pay the full replacement cost. Given I had a fuss free experience and reasonably long mileage of 67k, decided to go for them. Paid 11k/piece and got 2k back for my 7.5 year spare tyre which had never been used. The dealer registered me on the spot for online warranty so having a bill in hand for replacement etc was not an issue.

First 100 kms driving feedback:

1. Ride quality seems to have improved by 15-20% - The metal clangs of flyover gaps are now a gentle rumple instead of a thud
2. Wind noise is doing by 70-75% vs previous tyres
3. Driving on curved roads at 80+ speed seems more planted
4. Braking distance has come down by 20-30%

I dont think I will have any issues with this replacement and it remains to be seen who they wear out vs their outgoing Thai made counterpart..

The new tyres:
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20210327_123409.jpg

The unused spare tyre taken out after >7 years!
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20210327_124323.jpg

Out going vs incoming tyres:
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20210327_124351.jpg

The helpful team at Sanghi tyres:
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20210327_134737.jpg

The car back to parking with the new shoes:

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20210327_140655.jpg
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20210327_140702.jpg

Last edited by vikram31 : 28th March 2021 at 07:22.
vikram31 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 10:40   #419

Hi Fellow BHPians,

Here is a shout out for some advice on tyre replacement and apologies for the long post.

I have an upcoming trip in 10 days. Mumbai - Delhi - Kinnaur - Kaza - Spiti - Manali - Delhi - Mumbai.

I went to Randhawa Motors, Kurla for a complete checkup and wiper blade replacement. They gave a green to the car for the trip.

I then headed to Straightline, Santacruz as the XUV had clocked 5000 Kms since last Alignment and Balancing. While Trevor was not there, he called me to check if the work was done and I shared with him my plan of the upcoming travel.

He called up his guy Amol to check the condition of the tyres and give him the report.

Report on Tyres:

The current shoes have done 47000 kms and are the OEM BS Duelers H/T. Front tyres had a tread of 6mm and the rear ones had 4 mm. No visual cuts or cracks or damage, however minute cracks all over (possibly due to the ageing as my ride is now 5 years old)

Trevor called me back and suggested that I go for a replacement before I head for the trip, and started suggesting the Continental CrossContact LX2 that he had ready in stock.

After speaking with Trevor, in order to validate, I asked his lead technician on the health of the tyres and he was confident that they still had about 25% life left. Immediately his guy Amol took him to a corner and they discussed something. The technicians stand changed and he told me that he is not confident if the tyres will survive the trip, they can or cannot - he said he cant be sure.

He also offered me a buy back of 3K for the set of 4, which I felt was quite less.

I politely told Trevor that I needed to do some more digging before I decide to replace and left after the alignment and balancing was completed.

Now, here are the two questions that I am unable to decide on:

1) Is the replacement even needed now. I say this because the way the whole interaction went, i felt the guy was trying to make a sale. The tyres still have good amount of tread before they can be declared unfit (going by the replacement indicator of 2mm). Since the tyres are not damaged yet, should I even go for a replacement now or should wait for another 10 - 15 K kms. I am also sharing the pictures of the tyres so that you can assess and share some guidance

2) If I have to replace which ones should I go with. 95% of my driving is urban, highways and then there are such one of trips where I may encounter some rough terrain (like the current spiti trip, which could be 1 in 2 years)

I am inclined to H/T owing to the comfort, low noise levels, and better braking performance and the options currently available are :
1) Continental CrossContact LX2 - Not many reviews available for this tyre. If this is a good option, please share some feedback
2) BS Duelers H/T - Not very happy with the existing set and hence will skip this option

The other options available are the A?T range, however I have an assumption that the ride may be harsher with A/T tyres and I may not get the comfort and noise levels that i would otherwise get with H/T tyres. And secondly, 95% usage on tarmac roads.

I do not want to go with Ceat, Apollo and GoodYear and hence the only option is Yoko Geolandar 015 A/T. While most of you have given a thumsup to this tyre, but not many have written about the ride quality, comfort and noise levels. While some have complained about the ride becoming harsher as the tyre ages.

Reading through some of the threads on this, I feel below are some the good options for me, but unfortunately they are not available in the market right now. If you have any pointers, please do share.

1) Micheline Primacy SUV
2) Micheline Latitude Sports
3) Pirelli Scorpion Verde

Please help solve my confusion as I have to take a decision by this weekend and execute immediately if required.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20210615_174152.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20210615_174211.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20210615_174242.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20210615_174255.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20210615_174312.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20210615_174318.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20210615_174329.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_20210615_174359.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img20210615wa0011.jpg  

Old 17th June 2021, 16:57   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_1787 View Post
The current shoes have done 47000 kms and are the OEM BS Duelers H/T. Front tyres had a tread of 6mm and the rear ones had 4 mm. No visual cuts or cracks or damage, however minute cracks all over (possibly due to the ageing as my ride is now 5 years old)
IMO, from the pictures current tyres are looking good for another 7-10K kms. If you are planning to change tyres, please consider running-in for few hundred kms.

Last edited by Twiny : 17th June 2021 at 16:58.
Twiny is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks