Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2016, 10:26   #286
mxh
BHPian

Re: 4th gen. Honda City : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by namitkumar31 View Post

Hi mxh,

I see that you upgraded to Michelins 195 on the AHNC. Do you face any issues such as the ride quality being bumpier and suspension bottoming out easily ?

Thanks,
Namit
I upgraded to 185/65 on my vehicle since Saifee tyres wasn't confident about 195/60 based on his prior experience. The incremental cost for all 5 tyres was only Rs 7500. I drove only 10km on the original tyres on relatively smooth roads so can't really comment about ride quality. Suspension has not bottomed out yet and neither have I scraped the bottom of the car anywhere. The slight GC increase in 185/65 is helpful, but I think the bottoming out issue is mostly resolved in the current version of the Honda City.

Last edited by mxh : 10th August 2016 at 10:27.
mxh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 20:15   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by namitkumar31 View Post
1) Has anyone bought the upsize for the spare wheel ? Does it fit properly in the boot ?
2) After the change has anyone noticed problems like bumpier ride , more jerks filtering into the cabin , stiffer steering ? I went through the thread and I did see a few posts around that.
3) Does the suspension bottom out more frequently now after the upgrade ? ( Logically I think it would because of bigger tyres )
4) Any changes to the alloys required ? ( Apart from the design of course ) ?
5) Is there a noticeable decrease in the road noise after upgrading to Michelin 3ST ?

Thanks,
Namit
Hi Namit. Here are the answers to your questions:
1. I bought the P3ST upsize for spare also - fits fine and there are no issues
2. The steering definitely feels tighter, but I like it that way. The ride is similar to the earlier MRF's although I see that ride has become VERY sensitive to tire air pressure owing to the soft compound Michelins
3. The suspension as never bottomed out till date during my 16k+ driving experience
4. No need to change alloys
5. Road noise is the same. Infact its slightly more versus when the tires were new

Additional note: mileage used to be 16 highway and 9 city. Overall got 11 over the first 5000 kms. Now I get 14 highway and 7 city. Overall 9.3 over the last 10000 kms
Edit: this is with Nitrogen filled at 35/33 as per Honda recommendation

Hope this helps!
reppy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 13:00   #288
Senior - BHPian

Namit,

I got my HC in 2010 & upgraded to 195/60/R15 (Michelins Primacy LC) minutes after taking delivery. Never had any problem with any of the things you mentioned.

Infact, it's time for a change & I wanted to find out if anyone's upgraded to a 195/65/R15 profile. Only reason for this upgrade is more GC. But sites like 1010 Tires warn of the risk of brake failure if the overall diameter varies more than 3%. I don't understand why as the only thing that would probably change is tyre weight. I do understand that Odometer & speedometer would probably under read but don't car much about those.

Anyone has any experience with this setup?
asr245 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 21:05   #289
BHPian

While driving on the Sion Panvel highway I went into a pothole which ripped my front left tyre. My ivtec is shod with the xm2 stock tyres. The car has done approximately 35k km. I was wondering whether It is time to upgrade all four tyres to 195's. Or just replace the ripped tyre with a new xm2 of the stock size. Any advice would be read with interest.

Last edited by raycers_honda : 16th August 2016 at 21:07.
Old 16th August 2016, 21:28   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycers_honda View Post
I was wondering whether It is time to upgrade all four tyres to 195's. Or just replace the ripped tyre with a new xm2 of the stock size. Any advice would be read with interest.
I recently changed original XM1 with Primacy 3st 195s on my Honda City when the factory fitted XM1s had done 56k+. And they were good for at least 5k more. There should be a lot of juice still left in your four tyres to discard them just yet.
Navneet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2016, 21:41   #291

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGB View Post
1)Yes. spare with 195 can be fitted inside.
2)Depends upon the tyres and manufacturer. 195 will make the steering a bit stiffer but you wont notice in EPS.
3)Tyres have no relation with suspension. Changing tyres will not affect your suspension travel.
4)What changes can you make to the alloy wheel ?
5)Yes. Road noise decreases with 195. They are silent.
Thanks for the reply. By suspension travel I meant, since the tyre wall will increase in height , will it cause the suspension to bottom out more easily ? From the responses I have received, that does not seem to be a problem.

The Alloy Wheels - I mean the design ( it was just a pun ). For an otherwise loaded car, the alloy designs of AHNC are indeed very plane jane.

Thanks,
Namit
Old 1st September 2016, 18:37   #292
BHPian

My 2011 Honda City has done 35K+ kms with the stock MRFs. The rubber seems to have gotten hard, though the tread seems fine.

The issue is, one of the tyres has gotten a puncture in the same place where a puncture was sealed earlier. The puncture shop says this cannot be fixed. So I have swapped the spare tyre with this one for now. He said my tyres will run fine for another 5K kms before needing a change.

I have two options
1. Put in a tube for the damaged tyre and retain it as a spare. After 5K kms, replace all tyres.

2. Replace the tyres now. If I do this, and upgrade to 195/60/R15, can I retain the spare with stock size (175/55/R15 I think), and use it to go to the nearest puncture shop in case of a puncture in the upgraded tyres.

Last edited by Bh.P : 1st September 2016 at 18:39.
Old 1st September 2016, 19:22   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
Namit,

I got my HC in 2010 & upgraded to 195/60/R15 (Michelins Primacy LC) minutes after taking delivery. Never had any problem with any of the things you mentioned.

Infact, it's time for a change & I wanted to find out if anyone's upgraded to a 195/65/R15 profile. Only reason for this upgrade is more GC. But sites like 1010 Tires warn of the risk of brake failure if the overall diameter varies more than 3%. I don't understand why as the only thing that would probably change is tyre weight. I do understand that Odometer & speedometer would probably under read but don't car much about those.

Anyone has any experience with this setup?
Hi,

I had continentals CPC2 195/65 R15 on my 2014 setup. I observed a significant increase in GC and never under scraped anywhere. Unfortunately, my tyres did not last too much and they gave away at 30K kilometers ( I know it is too less specially that I am not an enthusiastic driver). I have now switched to Primacy 3ST 195/60 R15 and have under scraped twice in the 1000 kilometers which I have driven yet.

I was happier with the 195/65 R 15 setup due to the GC however the handling improved with Primacy 3ST.
Alive2Drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2016, 12:27   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive2Drive View Post
Hi,

I was happier with the 195/65 R 15 setup due to the GC however the handling improved with Primacy 3ST.
Thanks. Unfortunately, I blew a tire on my recent trip to Jaisalmer & drove on for a while on bad roads with a flat front without realising. With one un-usable & another damaged, I had to change 2 of them in Jaisalmer itself & the only ones I found there was a BS B290 195/60. So this option is now out of the window.

I had Michelin Primacy LC earlier & had done about 42K, so a bit surprised that I had to change soon. Maybe the bad roads here had a bit to do in that.
Old 5th October 2016, 12:16   #295
BHPian

Hey everyone !!
I am planning to change my tyres to its 3rd set. The current set, i had regularly got it aligned (every 2500kms or around that) and balanced and rotated (every 5000-8000kms), but the tyre center where I went, the jobs weren't done perfectly, and the tyre shows lot of uneven wear on all 4 tyres.

The car is Honda City i-VTEC manual, Feb 2014 Manufactured.
Current ODO reading around 72,200kms (Yes, its a petrol)
1st set: Stock Goodyear GT3s 175/65 R15 ran till the ODO was 31k odd kms
2nd set: Bridgestone Turanza AR20 195/60 R15 from 31k kms till the present
I am looking to change to the 3rd set of tyres, mostly looking at Michellin XM2; but I am confused about which tyre profile to go for.
Options I am looking at:
1. Continue with the same 195/60 R15
2. 195/65 R15 (I had read somewhere on the forum where a BHPian had changed his tyre profile to this on his 3rd gen City, and he had increased GC with no scraping with wheel wells or anything)
3. 205/60 R15 (I read somewhere on the forum, either the 4th gen Honda City Official review thread or this thread, about BHPian Shreyas_Jain, who had upgraded his tyres to this on stock rims; He has claimed that driving dynamics have greatly improved.)

I am looking at these odd upsizes to get increased GC; but members are welcome to correct me telling me the pros and cons of the last two upsizes, as i have already lived with 195/60 R15 profile for 41k odd kms. Let me also know if there will be any damage to the Mechicals of the the car, like suspension, driveshaft, etc. due to the increased GC and increased speedometer error.
Old 24th October 2016, 13:45   #296
BHPian

Hi Tyre Gurus/All,
I am planning to upgrade the tyres of my City V AT (2013 Model) to 195/60R15. I have currently run 27000 km’s with the stock Good Year's.

My priorities are extremely low noise, low rolling resistance, good grip (wet and dry), a life of approx. 35K km’s, sharp steering/feel/feedbacks and finally looks :-). I'm confused between Continental MC5, Yoko AVS V550 and Michelin 3ST. Any inputs on this will be off immense help.

Please feel free to let me know if I need to look at any other options in the market which may suit my requirement better.

Thanks
Amar
Old 25th October 2016, 13:51   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amar.madhavan View Post
Hi Tyre Gurus/All,
I am planning to upgrade the tyres of my City V AT (2013 Model) to 195/60R15. I have currently run 27000 km's with the stock Good Year's.

My priorities are extremely low noise, low rolling resistance, good grip (wet and dry), a life of approx. 35K km's, sharp steering/feel/feedbacks and finally looks :-). I'm confused between Continental MC5, Yoko AVS V550 and Michelin 3ST. Any inputs on this will be off immense help.

Please feel free to let me know if I need to look at any other options in the market which may suit my requirement better.

Thanks
Amar
Hello Amar

I would say that the Michelin 3ST will be the most silent of the lot and the Continental MC5 will be the gripiest (compared to the other two). I would stay away from the Yokohama AVS, they tend to get noisier as the kilometers are clocked.

If I was in your shoes, I would pick the Michelins first and for the next tyre change; try the Continental s

Happy tyre shopping !!
themonster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2016, 20:07   #298
BHPian

Hi,

My 4th Gen. Honda City (2014) came with stock MRF tyres ZVTV and has done 28K. I just noticed that I have a bubble on the sidewall of one of my rear tyres and hence plan to change my tyre ASAP/ this weekend.

Two tyres are in good condition and seem to have life left in them. However, I am also contemplating upsizing to 195/60 R15 which means that I will have to change all four/five.

I have the following questions:
1) How is Good Year compared to Michellin XM2/Continental ? I heard they are cheaper in Pune since they are manufactured locally. Which one would you recommend?
2) Can I use the 175/65 R15 as the spare and use it to go to the nearest puncture shop in case of a puncture in the upgraded tyres or should I be changing all 5 in one go?
3) Should I stay on 175/65 and hence change only two. Any advantage of doing this apart from splitting the spend over may be 6 months and better FE

Thanks
Akshat
Old 28th December 2016, 14:27   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkshatR View Post
However, I am also contemplating upsizing to 195/60 R15 which means that I will have to change all four/five.
Buying 4/5 tyres should be dependent on tyre rotation pattern i.e. whether one follows 4 tyre rotation or 5 tyre rotation.

Quote:
1) How is Good Year compared to Michellin XM2/Continental ? I heard they are cheaper in Pune since they are manufactured locally. Which one would you recommend?
Comfort levels vary among these brands & models. I don't see much difference in Pune for Goodyear tyre prices. You can also look at Yoko Earth1. When I had checked prices for 175/65 recently, Conti CC5 were at 4450, Earth1 at 4700 and XM2 at 5100.
Quote:
2) Can I use the 175/65 R15 as the spare
If you follow 4 tyre rotation & spare isn't an alloy, you can use 175/65 as spare to be used only in emergencies.
Quote:
3) Should I stay on 175/65 and hence change only two.
If your driving style needs extra tyre width, please upsize else stay with stock size. If buying only 2 new tyres, please mount those on rear axle.
On a side note, if 'N_C' is going to drive your city, please upsize .
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2016, 15:46   #300
BHPian

Thanks for guidance Sukiwa.

I will check out the prices for 195/60 for CC5 and Earth1.
I found the below prices on Snapdeal for a set of 4
Michelin Energy XM2 88V - Rs 19,867/-
Bridgestone Turanza ER-60 88H - Rs 22,217/-
Bridgestone AR-20 88H - Rs 21,435/-
Bridgestone Potenza 88V - Rs 21,217/-
Goodyear GT3 88T - Rs 20,442/-
Yoko ES100 88H - Rs 20,398/-

Ofcourse I am not sure of the manufacturing date of any of these. Hence will check them out at a local dealer.

It would mostly be Drashan tyres in Baner. Any one else in Baner/Aundh area you would suggest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
If your driving style needs extra tyre width, please upsize else stay with stock size. If buying only 2 new tyres, please mount those on rear axle.
Can you please elaborate on the driving style bit.
Most of my run is in the city with speeds of up to 80-90kmph and am a fairly smooth driver (no drag racing). Occasional trips outstation where speeds could be around the 120-130kmpl range (road permitting)

Quote:
On a side note, if 'N_C' is going to drive your city, please upsize .
Excuse my ignorance, i didn't get the 'N_C' joke

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks