Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2021, 09:36   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
Oh ok. How did you fix it ? IS there any specific method ?

One car tyre tried fixing it but the patch did not stop the air leak ( though the leak is quite small) - he used the ordinary method: inserting the patch from top and pulling it out.
Fixed it the normal way for tubeless tyres like this
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 15:59   #137

Hi guys,

My first post here. I punctured the sidewall of my front left tyre in my <7k km driven car. Having gone through the above thread, I understand that a new tyre is the way to go. But I still have a few questions.

- Does it matter if I get the same brand (and same model) tyre as the replacement? Or is it just about matching the tyre specs (195/55 R16)?
- Is the tread difference important at this stage with less than 7k km on all other tyres? I was thinking of maybe having the new tyre at the front right because the car is mostly run with 1 person (me ) in it. Not sure if this makes any sense.!?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 1st August 2022, 11:53   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumit1121 View Post
Hi guys,

- Does it matter if I get the same brand (and same model) tyre as the replacement? Or is it just about matching the tyre specs (195/55 R16)?
- Is the tread difference important
Hi sumit, the brand does matter as all tyres even within the same brand have different tread patterns and they dispel water differently thus their grips differ. If the tyre is new ish ans tread loss is <2mm a new similar tread design will not have much effect. I personally avoid mixing different types of tyres.

Hope this helps!
Old 1st August 2022, 18:40   #139
BHPian

You can get Tube fixed up in the same Tyre. Only that sidewall puncture has not ruptured the ply of Cords enough to cause bulge.
Old 1st August 2022, 20:10   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumit1121 View Post
Does it matter if I get the same brand (and same model) tyre as the replacement? Or is it just about matching the tyre specs (195/55 R16)?
It's preferable to have the same model.

Quote:
Is the tread difference important at this stage with less than 7k km on all other tyres? I was thinking of maybe having the new tyre at the front right because the car is mostly run with 1 person (me ) in it. Not sure if this makes any sense.!?
Yes, the front right does wear out faster. The other tyres probably have 80-85% tread depth at present so it won't make a major difference anyways.
Old 1st August 2022, 21:30   #141

I wonder why I'm suddenly getting responses to a query posted 4 months ago.!!

As an update, in the absence of any responses, I just went with the safe choice of the same brand and model tyre as replacement.

Also, got the Trell Internal TPMS sensors installed to avoid this in the future.
Old 4th October 2022, 19:52   #142
BHPian

Got a puncture yesterday on the inner sidewall. Promptly changed to the spare tire (thankfully Honda City comes with full size spare and did not have much trouble).

For now, I have got a normal puncture fix done. Would it be ok to continue using this as spare tire?
Attached Thumbnails
Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre-img20221003160256.jpg  

Old 4th October 2022, 21:11   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satnan View Post
For now, I have got a normal puncture fix done. Would it be ok to continue using this as spare tire?
Short answer? Yes

Longer Answer- You can use it as a spare but it should not happen that you start using it as regular tyre once some other tyre gets punctured. It will also lose air faster than a non punctured tyre, all other things being equal. So better to keep checking up on it more frequently than you usually would.
kosjam is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 08:15   #144
BHPian

My Alcazar Front Left tyre (APOLLO APTERRA CROSS 215/55 R18 - Mfd 0222 - 6000kms) suffered a puncture last week while driving slowly over a congested area with construction debris on the sides. An 8cms nail of at least 3mm pierced the right side closer to side wall, and air started leaking immediately. Luckily I found a puncture shop withing 300 mts and the guy fixed it with a piece of multi-strand nylon rope (the kind one uses normally as a clothesline). See picture below.

Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre-tyre.jpg

Now this is the FIRST puncture I have ever suffered in over 20 years of driving (unbelievable but true - maybe because it is only a little over a year that I have been driving in India). So I have several doubts in my mimd, and would greatly appreciate some advise from more experienced drivers:

1. Does my puncture qualify as a side-wall puncture?
2. Is the repair work done by the roadside shop sufficient? Or is there a need to do a more permanent job? I have a long drive of 400kms coming up this week.
3. What exactly is a more permanent job? Will it make the tye good enough for continued long use?
5. If a permanent job is required, any refernce to a good place in Central Bangalore (around Sangolli Rayanna Metro)?
4. Are DIY puncture kits really useful? In any case, their utility will be limited without a pump, correct?
5. Any recommendations for a DIY kit and a good pump?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10th June 2023, 21:25   #145
BHPian

Hi All,

I am running a Michelin Primacy 4 ST 195/55 R16 on my 2019 make Elite i20 Diesel. These are well maintained tires with no damages/punctures and has run approximately 30k kms so far.

I found a puncture on the border of sidewall on rear left tire which is the first one on all 4 tires and I got it repaired with a regular rubber strip. The location of this damage is making me a bit afraid.

Does this look dangerous? Can I run this tire as usual by keeping a check on this puncture every now and then? How safe will it be on highways at speeds above 100 KMPH?
Attached Thumbnails
Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre-img_1385.jpg  

Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre-img_1388.jpg  

Old 11th June 2023, 11:46   #146
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraghavan View Post
3. What exactly is a more permanent job? Will it make the tye good enough for continued long use?
Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhu.reddy92 View Post
Does this look dangerous? Can I run this tire as usual by keeping a check on this puncture every now and then? How safe will it be on highways at speeds above 100 KMPH?
Please talk to the brand about whether the puncture is considered a sidewall puncture or not wrt puncture repaid.

I had three of my brand new Yoko tyres in a new car intentionally side-wall punctured in Delhi since my car was parked next to a park!

The official recommendation was to replace the tyres but my tyre shop suggested I put a tube. I ran the tyres for 10 years with tubes without any problems. The only thing to take care of is that try to put both tyres with tubes at front or rear in case you have alignment issues. Otherwise you might feel the tyres don't absorb the road jerks as well as one without the tubes.
heysac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 13:01   #147
BHPian

Since my car has a Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), using the tyre with a tube is out of question since TPMS will permanently show an error.
Old 25th August 2023, 22:50   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by daf23 View Post
Recently discovered a small crack on the sidewall of my Endeavour's tyre (MRF Wanderer) which has run close to 10k kms, this is the second sidewall damage, the earlier tyre was replaced with this one.

The cut is not deep, there is no air leakage and I have driven it for a couple of hundred kilometers. Is it safe to use?
Did you find a fix or anything? I have two of these on my MRF tyres, someone said it's a known issue but I am concerned and looking for answers.
Old 6th September 2023, 10:24   #149

Hi All, so this happened yesterday and I got the tire fixed at the local mechanic. Is it safe to use it? So far, there is no pressure leak.

Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre-20230905_111646.jpg

Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre-20230905_111642.jpg

Last edited by graaja : 6th September 2023 at 10:37.
Old 6th September 2023, 11:17   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayyam.gaur58 View Post
Hi All, so this happened yesterday and I got the tire fixed at the local mechanic. Is it safe to use it? So far, there is no pressure leak.

Attachment 2499820

Attachment 2499821
I had a similar puncture last week and my tyre dealer confirmed it can't be repaired simply because it is on the sidewall. They were ready to give it a try but with no assurance on the longevity of the repair.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks