Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2023, 20:42   #151
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayyam.gaur58 View Post
Hi All, so this happened yesterday and I got the tire fixed at the local mechanic. Is it safe to use it? So far, there is no pressure leak.

Attachment 2499820

Attachment 2499821
Going by your picture I believe you can do a mushroom fix on this tubeless tyre since it is on the shoulder. However, please cross check with a competent tyre shop.

I had encountered this deep-cut tear like a partially sliced shoulder with a heavy bias towards the sidewall, a year ago and there was no way I could use that tyre ever again. See pic. The cut was too deep and too long to repair. It had sliced right through. Caused by a piece of sharp plastic construction debris.
Attached Thumbnails
Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre-img_6751.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 6th September 2023 at 20:44.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 22:35   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayyam.gaur58 View Post
I got the tire fixed at the local mechanic. Is it safe to use it? So far, there is no pressure leak.
The location looks like to be at the transition of shoulder and side wall of the tyre. But I’m not able to comprehend how that screw got lodged at that location (bit strange). Since you have already repaired it, don't put that tire in extreme environments/conditions (too hot, too cold, too fast, too much pressure, too less pressure), if it's repairable, it should last until it's worn or aged out. I hope the tyre isn’t too old, more than 5 years is a strict no no.

“No Pressure leak” isn’t the criteria for the tyre being safe. The location of puncture is the weak link in the chain. Safe is a very subjective word. If you think it’s bothering you and giving you sleepless nights, then better change the tyre or else mitigate the risks involved as mentioned above.
NomadSK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2023, 22:49   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
The location looks like to be at the transition of shoulder and side wall of the tyre. But I’m not able to comprehend how that screw got lodged at that location (bit strange). Since you have already repaired it, don't put that tire in extreme environments/conditions (too hot, too cold, too fast, too much pressure, too less pressure), if it's repairable, it should last until it's worn or aged out. I hope the tyre isn’t too old, more than 5 years is a strict no no.

“No Pressure leak” isn’t the criteria for the tyre being safe. The location of puncture is the weak link in the chain. Safe is a very subjective word. If you think it’s bothering you and giving you sleepless nights, then better change the tyre or else mitigate the risks involved as mentioned above.
Hi, the position is indeed very strange. I think that someone must have intentionally done this. The tyre is around 2.5 years old. I don't want to change the tyre so early so hoping this would last without much issues.
Old 7th September 2023, 13:12   #154

Hi All - I discovered this cut/bruise on my front tyre this morning. Not sure how or when this happened. Do I need to change the tyre or should I repair this? My worry is I am driving to Mumbai (from Bangalore) next week and dont want this to impact the drive. Please suggest
Its 215 55 R18 on Alcazar and done 16k kms. Also, if I change should I change all 4 or just 1 or 2?Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre-tyre.jpg
Old 16th December 2023, 13:33   #155
BHPian

Recently I discovered 3 punctures in my tyre. One was fixed from inside and the other two with regular puncture repair from outside. Can such a tyre be used in front during rotation?

Problem is that spare tyre also burst so it is of no use. I have to replace my tyres in 3-4 months. In case of emergency I may require a spare tyre and as I would be upsizing the tyres when I buy full set of 4, so I am planning to buy one new tyre with upsize and keep it as spare. I will get 4 new ones in 3-4 months.

I am confused whether I should buy new tyre of existing size and when I replace all tyres with new size then I keep this one as spare. Or should I buy one upsize tyre now and keep it as spare so that once I buy all new tyres it's size matches with new ones. Any suggestions are welcome from the community members.
Old 16th December 2023, 22:44   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakwontsing View Post
Recently I discovered 3 punctures in my tyre. One was fixed from inside and the other two with regular puncture repair from outside. Can such a tyre be used in front during rotation?

I am confused whether I should buy new tyre of existing size and when I replace all tyres with new size then I keep this one as spare.
Number of punctures does not decide the usability of the tyre, it is decided by the location and size of the puncture. I don't think there is any risk involved in the problem you described.

For the new tyre, buy the upsize and use as spare. It may not be used at all in the next few months anyways.
Old 16th December 2023, 22:56   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Number of punctures does not decide the usability of the tyre, it is decided by the location and size of the puncture. I don't think there is any risk involved in the problem you described.

For the new tyre, buy the upsize and use as spare. It may not be used at all in the next few months anyways.
Punctures are on the surface touching the road. Sidewalls are alright. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 2nd January 2024, 11:37   #158
BHPian

Does this qualify as sidewall puncture? If yes, I might have to go for a replacement tyre! My Slavia has clocked just 12,000 kms. Will the replacement affect high speed dynamics of the car?
Attached Thumbnails
Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre-img_20231231_172401.jpg  

Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre-whatsapp-image-20240101-12.21.59-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by akash_m : 2nd January 2024 at 11:45.
Old 2nd January 2024, 12:23   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post
Does this qualify as sidewall puncture? If yes, I might have to go for a replacement tyre! My Slavia has clocked just 12,000 kms. Will the replacement affect high speed dynamics of the car?
Yes, that is a sidewall puncture. If the new tyre is same band, model, size then it should not affect the dynamics of the car.
Old 3rd January 2024, 12:03   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Akash, I had a similar situation for my Yeti in 2014 and my tire was relatively new too but I did not go for replacement. Instead, I tried cold patch with a reputed tire retread dealer in Bengaluru where I'm based at. He did a professional job and costed me about 700 bucks those days but more importantly the tire lasted another couple of years before giving up due to extreme heat on my drive to Pune in summer. The patch is put right across the tire which doesn't affect the overall composure of driving and in my case there was no bad behavior during speeds of 120-140km (Of course, I don't recommend anyone to drive over the stipulated limits of the highways.) but one needs to go to a good tire retread shop rather than any regular puncture shop. Another point you might need to factor in is if you drive regularly on the highways and in hot weather then please keep an eye on the tire as towards the end of tire life it may give up but city driving may not be an issue, in my IMHO. Hope it helps, cheers.
Old 3rd January 2024, 12:49   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Woah, it looks like someone deliberately planted that nail in there! It would be worth checking out footage of CCTV cameras around the spot.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks