Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2011, 22:20   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn2363 View Post
Greetings everybody! This would be my first post on T-bhp - mainly due to my laziness and because all t-bhp gyaan is always just a search away.
========
3. The rear tires will come to front after balancing/rotation - If I go for new tire should I get a pair - will different tread depth tires cause problems in the front.
Can be definitely repaired with regular puncture kit. Have done it for the Crv.
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2011, 22:39   #62
BHPian

Found this useful bit of info on the net (courtesy Bob Jane T Mart):
"Depending on the area of the tyre where the puncture occurs will determine if the tyre is repairable. Generally tyres with punctures in the tread area are repairable.
A flat tyre is generally caused by a puncture to a tubeless tyre's casing, allowing air to escape and causing the tyre to deflate. Punctures are usually caused by sharp objects like small nails and screws. These objects tend to cause punctures less than 5mm in diameter. If they occur within the tread area of the tyre, a repair can usually be made to the tyre.
Tyres can often be beyond repair and will need replacement if there is sizeable punctures to the tread or punctures to the tyre's shoulder or sidewall areas.
The function of a puncture repair is to seal the tyre's casing to prevent moisture or contaminants from entering the tyre casing or structure. The tyre must be removed from the rim to perform a correct puncture repair. This allows for a complete inspection of the damage and ensures the plug used to repair the puncture bonds properly with the tyre casing to make it air-tight. The repair is made from the inside out.
There are several methods of repairing a puncture in a tubeless tyre. Firstly (and the least effective method) there is the tin of aerosol tyre sealant. This is simply sprayed into the tyre through the valve. As a get-you-home-slowly fix it has its place; however tyre dealers hate the stuff with a passion. When they remove a tyre which has had sealant applied, there is a messy residue all over the place.

The second method is to plug the tyre with a vulcanising compound. Available as a kit, these plugs look like bits of thick liquorice. Also included in the kit is a tube of rubber cement, a reamer, and the plug insertion tool. This was what I used when I experienced the puncture described above. Simply locate the puncture-causing-article, and remove it. Then the small reamer is used to roughen the sides of the hole. Some rubber cement is then squeezed into the hole.

The "liquorice" plug is then inserted half-way through the eye of the plug insertion tool, and then plunged into the puncture site. The idea is to insert the tool until about an inch of each end of the plug can be seen, at which point the tool is rotated 90 degrees and withdrawn quickly. Hopefully you're left with the plug in a "W" shape when seen in cross-section. The ends are then trimmed off flush with the aid of a sharp knife, and the tyre reinflated.

Remember though that whilst these plugs will be useful for the normal punctures acquired when running over a nail or screw, they can not be used for larger tears."

Last edited by John : 7th October 2011 at 22:45.
John is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2011, 22:51   #63
BHPian

Never repair a sidewall puncture if the car is running in highways. Did it once. Due to the high heat generated, it doesn't leak but BLOWS the plug out!!!! Its from my personal experience and its scary!!!
shekhar_gogoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2011, 00:21   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Can be definitely repaired with regular puncture kit. Have done it for the Crv.
Thanks. You mean the normal tubeless repair plug; I saw mushroom type plugs on ebay-uk (about Rs.500 for two plugs incl. shipping) would that be better option as the tire has about 25-30K kms life left.

@John
Thanks for the details. I haven't yet come across a repair shop that repairs the tire inside out; despite the fact all experts (including tire manufacturers) advocate that approach.
Old 8th October 2011, 11:43   #65
Team-BHP Support

We have used normal repair kit. But after the reading article above am not sure if it's the right thing to do :-/
Old 8th October 2011, 11:59   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn2363 View Post
Thanks. You mean the normal tubeless repair plug; I saw mushroom type plugs on ebay-uk (about Rs.500 for two plugs incl. shipping) would that be better option as the tire has about 25-30K kms life left.

@John
Thanks for the details. I haven't yet come across a repair shop that repairs the tire inside out; despite the fact all experts (including tire manufacturers) advocate that approach.
Removing the tyre from the rim and repairing the puncture would typically take more than double the time, so like it usually happens, short-cuts are taken. Next time I have to get a puncture repaired though, I'll insist it's done the proper way.
Old 13th October 2011, 21:05   #67
BHPian

whenever you have a cut or puncture take it to your trusted tyre repairman. Repairing of tyres is a skilled job so, leave it to an expert to decide if the tyre can be repaired or to be scrapped.Your "do-it-yourself" ventures maybe dangerous to public and/or yourself.
Old 16th March 2012, 20:54   #68
Senior - BHPian

What do you guys think about the repair done for the sidewall puncture. I know its not advisable to repair sidewall punture. BTW its my brothers car not mine. I have tried to warn him, but no avail.

Last weekend when I went to his home, I told him to use this one as spare. The current spare tyre(tubeless) is on tube due to multiple punctures. I am going to his place tomorrow and I will make sure that this tyre is used as spare.

He used to do a lot of highway driving. Last time, when he drove down to Kerala I joined him. He is no way a defensive driver like me, he was constantly doing 140ish, after a lot of pestering I successfully brought the speed down. because of this very reason I don't want that tyre on the front wheel.
Attached Thumbnails
Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre-image1658.jpg  

Old 16th March 2012, 22:32   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
What do you guys think about the repair done for the sidewall puncture. I know its not advisable to repair sidewall punture. BTW its my brothers car not mine. I have tried to warn him, but no avail.
Problem with this sidewall plug is that the plug gets dislodged when ever the tyre goes through pot holes or bad roads and tends to loose air through. So for high speed driving, it is not a good idea to have one. I have seen people 'patching' the inner walls with some vulcanizing process to hold the area around the puncture together and they say it is effective. It depends on how well it is done. But the original composition of the tyre is lost. Why take the risk, replacing the tyre is highly recommended.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 09:49   #70
BHPian

i have a similar issue with a sidewall puncture plugged - on my swift dzire vdi. i am planning a 2000km trip and will be doing 100+ Kmph. do you recommend i change that particular tyre?
Old 16th April 2012, 12:20   #71
BANNED

I feel bad to see people risking their own loves for a few thousand rupees. It is their choice. Even worse when they start risking the lives of others, which they do not have any right to do.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:54   #72
BHPian

Won't inserting a tube be a safe and inexpensive solution?
Old 26th July 2012, 11:13   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

I took had a similar experience. One tyre developed a crack on the side wall. The only option was to get a hot patch on the side wall which would cost 500/- approx. The mechanic also didnt recommend this as it wont last long and it's risky. Stayed with his word and replaced the tyre. Got myself a second hand S Drives for 800/- (single tyre) which is a better deal than Hot patch. Hot patch is recommended only for temp drives and not as a permanent solution. Also hot patch wont work always.
Old 24th January 2013, 10:09   #74
Senior - BHPian

Got my first puncture on my Cedia. This happened towards the end of the 1800 km journey (thankfully).
Some pictures attached.
Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre-p1140703.jpg
Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre-p1140704.jpg

I noticed the tire appeared quite flat this morning. I just filled in some air (25 psi) but still not got this removed.

I have a puncture kit with me, but I am not sure if there are more punctures besides the one caused due to the nail seen clearly.

This appears to be in the 'red zone' as per post 63 above.
Question is: How suitable is the tire for highway driving? I have an unused spare I think it is best for me to swap this one with the spare.
Old 24th January 2013, 14:31   #75
Senior - BHPian

Honest opinion? Get the tyre repaired and immediately banish it to the boot for strictly and only to be used in case of a puncture. A sidewall damage is the worse kind of damage to happen to your tyre and you dont want to travel on the highway or expressway or even the city in speeds in excess of 80kmph (actually even thats huge). LIfe is more important and anyways a few thousands can buy you peace of mind and safety.

Do Not use this for anything else except puncture duty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks