Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2009, 14:23   #31
Team-BHP Support

Note from mod: Threads merged, Please use search function before starting new threads
Old 28th May 2010, 12:08   #32
BHPian

Sidewall damage

Friends,

I was riding my car today morning to meet a friend. I was overtaking a vehicle, on his right, and had to go over a small uneven patch. Even if I had noticed well up front I dont think i would have swerved to avoid the patch. The moment I went over the patch, heard a loud grating noise from the tyres. Realised all is not well, and within seconds I could hear all sorts of noises and immediately pulled over to the left side of the road. Opened windows and peeped out, and my worst fears were confirmed. The front right tyre was flat and almost crumpled.

Thankfully, the rear right was not damaged. Put on the spare tyre and continued to meet the friend and came back home. Took the flat tyre to a local puncture shop and I found deep gashes in the inner wall of the tyre and the tube was irreparable as well. The puncture guy said it is not possible to fix them.

The tyres are 155/80 13 inch tubed Goodyear GT3. The car has almost run 9k kms. Is it ok if I continue with the spare tyre in the front right. Is the uneven tread wear a source of concern?

Any other alternatives?

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th May 2010 at 12:43. Reason: Please use Search and continue in an existing thread, Thanks
Old 28th May 2010, 20:13   #33
BHPian

The side wall punctures on a tubeless tyre can be fixed with a little tact. I have a friend who owns a wheel alignment workshop near my place and he can fix the side wall punctures on a tubeless tyres by using the tubeless puncture repair kit. You should not bore the puncture on the side wall as u do on the part which is in contact with the road. you have to simply pierce the puncture repair string into the puncture hole with the tool provided for it and gently remove the tool by leaving the string there. This should fix the puncture on the side wall and once the tyre is run and heats up the string gets fixed into the puncture. I have tried the said trick quite a few times and was successful. However u can also go for a tyre patch with heat treatment but it wont last for a long time.
Old 26th June 2010, 04:26   #34
Senior - BHPian

So I have a minor puncture (11 PSI loss in one month approx) in my 13k old yoko C.Drive. Resulted as my friend who was driving my car parked it on thorny bushes that placed on the roadside by some enterprising farmers. How I hope he did not do a repeat after softly requested him to be careful the first time round.

here is the picture of the approximate location of puncture. Size is small as the Air loss is about 11 PSI over 30 days.

What should I do and how do I stop this leak. Please do not suggest me to put a tube inside this tire? Will vulcanising / patch help to stem this leak.

As we talk, this tire is doing active duty as apart from the incovenience of filling air once a month, there is not visible damage to the tire
Attached Thumbnails
Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre-yokohama_cdrive.jpg  

Last edited by Buffetfan : 26th June 2010 at 04:28.
Old 26th June 2010, 04:38   #35
BHPian

^^ That doesn't exactly look like a sidewall puncture - its the outer edge of the thread. It should be repairable just like any tubeless tyre puncture.
Old 27th June 2010, 01:43   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
^^ That doesn't exactly look like a sidewall puncture - its the outer edge of the thread. It should be repairable just like any tubeless tyre puncture.

The reason I have asked the question is that it is a margin case - please see

etyres - Free Repairable Area Tread Gauge : Is Your Puncture Repairable?

http://www.rma.org/getfile.cfm?ID=61&type=release

Last edited by Buffetfan : 27th June 2010 at 01:48.
Old 27th June 2010, 11:28   #37
BANNED

The only safe route is to replace and not repair.
Old 27th June 2010, 23:46   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The only safe route is to replace and not repair.
If it was a cut, I would not feel too bad. This is a pinhole puncture and cannot be observed through naked eye. The tire has lost a total of 11PSI over 30 days.

Update - I went to Ashoka tires and got a patch pasted on the tire inside. the leak has stopped for now and I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 27th June 2010, 23:53   #39
BHPian

^
I've got a puncture in the same location. Got it repaired and went on a LONG drive plus some bad road drives and no problem till date. I hope there wont be any problem further.

@Buffetfan : How much did ashoke guy charge you for pasting the patch?
Old 28th June 2010, 00:05   #40
BHPian

just get a tube inside it and it will work as a normal tyre
Old 28th June 2010, 00:12   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Dont use a tube for heaven's sake!

And please dont use the tyre as a regular tyre if you have a patch. Patches are never 100% reliable. I would suggest you shift that tyre to the spare tyre.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2010, 00:57   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Dont use a tube for heaven's sake!

And please dont use the tyre as a regular tyre if you have a patch. Patches are never 100% reliable. I would suggest you shift that tyre to the spare tyre.
With the size of hole I have, I feel a bit comfortable in assuming that this will not pose a safety issue. If the patch fails, I will try one more time and then dump the tire and purchase another one. Yoko has launched a new version of C Drives and getting the same pattern tire might be an issue later.

New C.Drive pattern below
Old 28th June 2010, 01:01   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld View Post
^
I've got a puncture in the same location. Got it repaired and went on a LONG drive plus some bad road drives and no problem till date. I hope there wont be any problem further.

@Buffetfan : How much did ashoke guy charge you for pasting the patch?
INR 300 for dismounting, mounting and balancing.
Old 13th July 2010, 20:06   #44
BHPian

Minor sidewall puncture in Yoko Tubeless Tyre

Someone punctured my new Yoko tyre on Swift (only run 800 kms)! I have HRS alloys on the Swift. Typical scene in Delhi due to parking issues!

The tyre was fully deflated and the car was standing with the sidewall puncture for a couple of days. Would this have damaged the tyre? The hole/cut seems to be small in diameter.

Since it is a new tire and a new car, should I go for putting in a tube? The spare is a new stock (Lxi). I don't want to spend on a new tire unless it is required. I also don't want a risky tyre. Suggestions?
Old 21st February 2011, 23:24   #45
BHPian

Re: Sidewall puncture in tubeless tyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by patil View Post
The side wall punctures on a tubeless tyre can be fixed with a little tact. I have a friend who owns a wheel alignment workshop near my place and he can fix the side wall punctures on a tubeless tyres by using the tubeless puncture repair kit. You should not bore the puncture on the side wall as u do on the part which is in contact with the road. you have to simply pierce the puncture repair string into the puncture hole with the tool provided for it and gently remove the tool by leaving the string there. This should fix the puncture on the side wall and once the tyre is run and heats up the string gets fixed into the puncture. I have tried the said trick quite a few times and was successful. However u can also go for a tyre patch with heat treatment but it wont last for a long time.
bumped on this thread, since I have a similar problem in Xylo's Bridgestone Dueler A/T 215/75 R15 tubeless. During my Nov10 Rajasthan trip, I noticed in one tyre the PSI going lower every morning for almost 3 days, and I casually got the air refilled. After 6 days of traveling for 2700 kms, back at town and got it checked at a local puncture-wala and found a nail on the center of wheel; that means I was enjoying my vacation with this nail! But, this was easily cured (plugged).

Drove somewhat the next day and in evening again saw a flat tyre when I parked at a restaurant. This time, another shop, showed me two small holes at the side-wall, nearly 2in apart. He just plugged them and assured me nothing will happen. The strip oozes out since it is not in road contact. I've been running this setup for 6K+ km without hassles (current odo 18K km).

Recently, during my regular service as M&M, I requested a general tyre checkup by Bridgestone engineer, which was done promptly. He cautioned about the sidewall repair plug, that it weakens the wall; advised to 'tube' it in the first place. Furthermore, while talking of Slime, he discouraged and upfront denied any endorsement by Bridgestone, or any other company that he was personally aware of.

During the recent Mumbai Intl Motor Show, at the Slime stall, when I explained the scenario of sidewall puncture, the guy told that Slime would 99.9% not work on such cases.

regards,

Pranav

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks