Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2021, 13:45   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Michelin Primacy 4, now available in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvhed View Post
So I'm not alone then .. @ R2D2 - I'm in exactly the same boat as you, only, my current Yoko's are in REALLY bad shape. I'm wondering now whether to opt for a set of "second hand" tyres for a bit until the Michelins become available again.
Don't make a bad thing worse by using 2nd hand tyres! You can never say what they have experienced and the faults or damage in the carcass that lay out of sight.

I am perfectly happy to shift to Yoko or even BS, both OEM suppliers to TKM, if the P4STs don't turn by end March or early April. No compromises on safety.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 10:22   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

So a few days back I had sent in an enquiry to Michelin India about P4ST tyres for my car and received a call from one of their customer service guys.

Well, it's more or less the same spiel. Limited number of tyres in the 14-16" sizes will be imported around end March or early April and those looking to buy them can proceed with their plans. I told him that customers like myself cant wait endlessly and if these imports get delayed or dealers run out of stock you would be losing customers.

I asked him when 14-16" tyres are so common why isn't Michelin manufacturing them here? It was followed once more by more spiel about "automatic" manufacturing machines (as if other tyres are hand crafted!) and he says plans are afoot to consider making them in India. Well, I am not sure how and when this Make in India plan will fructify but it gives us some hope that going forward car owners won't be facing this kind of shortage brought about by sudden changes in Govt. policies.

Last edited by R2D2 : 5th February 2021 at 10:24.
Old 5th February 2021, 10:36   #153
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
So a few days back I had sent in an enquiry to Michelin India about P4ST tyres for my car and received a call from one of their customer service guys.
I wanted the same set of tyres for my Creta in 215/60 R17, most dealers who had them in stock were bumping prices since the demand was decent enough but their availability was low and next lot arrival was doubtful. It used to sell at ~₹10,000 a piece earlier but was increased to ₹11,700 a piece. Since the current availability was on the lower side, getting 4 pieces of the P4ST now will not be worth since any one of the tyres get damaged, I'll be stuck for replacement.

Keeping this in mind, decided to chuck the P4ST option for the Yokohama Earth-1 for ₹8,100
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 11:25   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Since the current availability was on the lower side, getting 4 pieces of the P4ST now will not be worth since any one of the tyres get damaged, I'll be stuck for replacement.
That's a good point you have there. Given limited supplies should a P4ST owner suffers a damaged tyre(s) replacements, even under warranty, may take time.

Quote:
Keeping this in mind, decided to chuck the P4ST option for the Yokohama Earth-1 for ₹8,100
I am leaning strongly towards Yoko now. Yeah Michelin would've been my 1st choice but neither am I willing to wait indefinitely nor pay a premium which I believe may be charged by dealers for those limited supplies in Apr '21.

Whose loss? Only Michelin's. It's time they woke up and smelt the coffee. If there is demand for certain common sizes and models they should preferably be made here as it would justify the investment in machines and infrastructure. Let me see if they walk to the talk about making in India that I heard from the rep.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 15:57   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Whose loss? Only Michelin's. It's time they woke up and smelt the coffee. If there is demand for certain common sizes and models they should preferably be made here as it would justify the investment in machines and infrastructure. Let me see if they walk to the talk about making in India that I heard from the rep.
Agree. There is strong demand for quality tyres so Michelin's loss is Yokohama & Continental's gain. Have you checked for the new Conti UC6 range too?
Old 5th February 2021, 18:50   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Agree. There is strong demand for quality tyres so Michelin's loss is Yokohama & Continental's gain. Have you checked for the new Conti UC6 range too?
Yes, Continental UC6 and BS Turanza (the OEM tyres) are also being considered. But as mentioned earlier I am leaning more towards Yoko.
Old 5th February 2021, 18:54   #157
BHPian

I am lucky enough to find Primacy 4ST in 195/60 R 15 make. Enquired with around 15-20 dealers in Hyderabad & luckily 1 guy has them. So without wasting time, rushed to his place although its a bit far from where i stay. Was in contact touch with him over phone till i reached his place, so that this can't be sold to anyone else.

Drove around 700kms post changing to P4ST, oh boy the ride is super smooth & infact i can see a gain in mileage.
Old 12th February 2021, 20:10   #158
BHPian

Quote:
@R2D2 .. great minds think alike 😉
Even I sent them a query online and received a call from them saying pretty much the same thing that they told you. However, the person who called me also sent me the name and nos. of 3 Michelin Authorised dealers near me who he claimed had received a batch of tyres not so long back. Of course he said he couldn't guarantee that they still had stock left but that I could check with them and see. I'll give it a shot and see.

On a separate note does anyone have any suggestions for tyres from other manufacturers that have characteristics similar to the Primacy 4STs. i.e. soft and silent ride ?

What about Pirelli ? Does anyone have any experience with these ?

I've experienced (albeit briefly) the Continental MC5 on a friend's car and was not impressed. Found them noisy and hard.

Yokohama had a lovely tyre in the C Drive. Unfortunately they're not available anymore. I wasn't sooo happy with my AVS db so I don't want to go with those again.

Does Bridgestone make any tyres that are soft and silent ?

@Nikhilb2008 .. where are you ? We need your knowledge and expertise please.
Old 12th February 2021, 20:35   #159
Senior - BHPian

Nothing comes close to Michelin. In the UAE, Pirelli does have ZERO (Zero stands for low/zero noise). Prolly, you can try that
Quote:
Originally Posted by revvhed View Post
On a separate note does anyone have any suggestions for tyres from other manufacturers that have characteristics similar to the Primacy 4STs. i.e. soft and silent ride ? What about Pirelli ? Does anyone have any experience with these ?
Old 12th February 2021, 21:38   #160
Senior - BHPian

Friends,

i've four Michelin Primacy4 in my Seltos with 235/55 R 17 spec. With the Michelin tyre shortage playing out, I'm trying to source one more of same make to be used as a spare tyre. In case if I manage to get Michelin primacy 4ST(new pattern) instead of Primacy4(earlier pattern), would it be ok to go ahead? Is the pattern totally different from each other? Even if it's different, how risky is it to use the new pattern alongside the older one? i'll be in big soup in case if one of my tyres get damaged beyond repair and hence this plight. Any other viable options?
Attached Thumbnails
The Michelin Primacy 4, now available in India-screenshot_20210212213906_whatsapp.jpg  

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 12th February 2021 at 21:42.
Bibendum90949 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2021, 13:32   #161
BHPian

Hello Folks !

I own a Ciaz ZDI+ running stock 195 55 R16 Apollo Cognacs.The tyres have run 52K kilometres and are aged close to 5 years now.I was planning to get them replaced with Michelin Primacy 4ST and getting a quote of Rs 35.5k for 4 tyres at New Delhi.

Is this price Ok or shall I lookout for more options.My driving is almost in the City itself and my prime requirement is a comfortable ride and low cabin noise.

Please suggest.

Thanks in Advance
Himanshu
Old 28th February 2021, 16:13   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu_trikha View Post
I own a Ciaz ZDI+ running stock 195 55 R16 Apollo Cognacs.The tyres have run 52K kilometres and are aged close to 5 years now.I was planning to get them replaced with Michelin Primacy 4ST and getting a quote of Rs 35.5k for 4 tyres at New Delhi.

Is this price Ok or shall I lookout for more options.My driving is almost in the City itself and my prime requirement is a comfortable ride and low cabin noise.
He's charging too much this size should be within 7-8K per tyre. 195/65/R15 is/was about 6500 each before a small discount.

Michelins are in short supply and most will be older stock since imports were stopped last year.

Which is why I am heading over to Continental this week. You may want to consider the MC5 or UC6 patterns if available in that size. Consider other options too.
Old 1st March 2021, 11:08   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Which is why I am heading over to Continental this week. You may want to consider the MC5 or UC6 patterns if available in that size. Consider other options too.
Thanks a lot !
Can you suggest other tires with same performance and Low Noise (in the league of Michelin P4ST) to be fitted in Ciaz ZDI+
Continental UC6 is on my radar as of now.
Old 1st March 2021, 11:54   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshu_trikha View Post
Thanks a lot ! Can you suggest other tires with same performance and Low Noise (in the league of Michelin P4ST) to be fitted in Ciaz ZDI+ Continental UC6 is on my radar as of now.
Very limited choices for premium tyres in 14-16" sizes due to the import ban. Michelin P4STs are in a different class altogether and maybe, just maybe, the Continental MC5 or UC6 could match them. SE Asian countries already have the MC6 and I guess it's only a matter of time before Conti manufactures them here.

I am getting my car a new set this week (MC5). I don't have much of a choice as my Michelins are old now (7 years plus) and last year's lockdown combined with my already low usage have resulted in at least one of tyres developing small cracks between the treads, none on the sidewalls though. This may be ok for slow city driving but certainly not a good thing when you hit the highway for long distance journeys. Can't take a risk.

Other than Continental you can consider Yokohama Earth, Bridgestone Turanza and MRF Perfinza. These are good tyres but MAY not in the same class as the P4ST. I have used only the BS Turanza ER300 that came OEM with the car and the Michelins are most definitely better. I am not sure about the availability of these tyres though. Please check with your dealer
Old 1st March 2021, 13:36   #165
BHPian

In the 2nd week of Feb'21, I have purchased Michelin Primacy 4 for size 195/65/R15 from Gurgaon. With each tyre costing around 7K.
Ask multiple dealer around NCR and you will be able to secure a good deal.
smooth is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks