Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2013, 15:21   #496

re: Honda Civic : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
For Civic, the best upsize/upgrade is 205/65 R15 - Pick a brand of your choice. The ride is better, ground clearance is better, road-grip is better and your mileage does not get affected.

For 17", you need 225/45 R17 to keep with the current diameter. The wheels no doubt will look good and your grip will be fantastic. However, your ride will be severely affected and your suspension will wear out fast. Not to mention the rims which may get dents due to low profile of the tyres.

I used 17" for a couple of months and disposed them due to poor results. I have Yoko C Drive 205/65 R15 on stock rims and I am happy.
Hi Naresh

Thanks for your inputs. I am not going for the 17" as you have suggested. But i do wanna change the Rims. Should i upsize to 16" or stay at 15" and get a a new set of tyres.

Also, I have a lot of driving..on average around 1200Kms a month. How is the durability on the C Drive? what are the other options i could look at.... I would like comfort..but not at the cost of handling.

Thanks |
Nick
Old 5th February 2013, 19:32   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Nick View Post
Hi Naresh

Thanks for your inputs. I am not going for the 17" as you have suggested. But i do wanna change the Rims. Should i upsize to 16" or stay at 15" and get a a new set of tyres.

Also, I have a lot of driving..on average around 1200Kms a month. How is the durability on the C Drive? what are the other options i could look at.... I would like comfort..but not at the cost of handling.

Thanks |
Nick
Actually the current 15" rims are good for Indian roads and very durable. I have tried them on all roads and speeds up to 175.

But if you really want to change, then go for 16". It is a decent upsize with good returns on handling, comfort and looks.

The current OEM 15" size with 195/65 R15 has a diameter of 634.5 mm. By the logic of 3% for max odo error, you should stay between 615.5 and 653.5 mm diameter for the upsize.

The ideal upsize with 16 would be two options:

1. 215/60 R 16 - Dia 664.4 (Slightly higher than normal)
2. 215/55 R 16 - Dia 642.9 (Almost perfect)

You can go for either but I would prefer the second option if I were you.

Of course I have no advice on the brands of Rims and Tires as I am not an expert in those areas. However, any reliable brand of Rim would do. Choose from available brands as for each size you will find limited options in brands.

Given that a lot of folks have used 225 too on 16" Rims, I do not see the concern of wheel well fouling with either of the above options. However, 225 is not a good option IMHO as it will bulge out and look ugly apart from making the steering heavy.

Now decide based on these inputs and any other suggestions you get.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by nareshtrao : 5th February 2013 at 19:33.
nareshtrao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2013, 14:31   #498
BHPian

Is 205/75 R 15 a wrong size for civic, what are the effects of running these tires?
Old 14th March 2013, 16:42   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsriharsha View Post
Is 205/75 R 15 a wrong size for civic, what are the effects of running these tires?
Has anybody tried this tire size?
Old 14th March 2013, 19:51   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsriharsha View Post
The dia difference is huge so not recommended (you can calculate the exact percentage).

Some disadvantages:
1. Speedometer and Odometer error.
2. Handling problems?

Advantages:
1. Better comfort (75 profile)?
2. Better FE?
3. Higher GC

My personal opinion is not to mess too much with the OEM size.
Old 21st March 2013, 08:50   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
The tyres are doing excellent. FE has only improved compared to OEM tyres for me since the PLCs has lower rolling resistance. No impact anywhere. Bottom scraping may have benefited due to slight increase in diameter. Stock alloys are absolutely fine. i would not have upgraded if I had to change the rims.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
For Civic, the best upsize/upgrade is 205/65 R15 - Pick a brand of your choice. The ride is better, ground clearance is better, road-grip is better and your mileage does not get affected.

I have Yoko C Drive 205/65 R15 on stock rims and I am happy.
Guys,

One Last Question before I install XM2 205/65/15 Size.Did you guys face Tyres hitting Wheel Arch on Full (5 People) Load?

Thanks

Last edited by ramanak : 21st March 2013 at 08:52.
Old 21st March 2013, 08:58   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post
Guys,

One Last Question before I install XM2 205/65/15 Size.Did you guys face Tyres hitting Wheel Arch on Full (5 People) Load?

Thanks
Not with 4 people for sure. Even with 5 I doubt it will.
nareshtrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 17:54   #503
BHPian

Changed all 5 Tyres of my Civic to XM2-205/65/15 size.First impression - the Tyres are very Silent and comfortable.Total expense-31050 Rs all inclusive (including Dscount for Old Tyres).A Chennai drive is coming up this weekend.Will post more details after the trip.Acid test will be to see how the Tyres behave on Rough roads.
ramanak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2013, 14:11   #504
BHPian

Hi,
I am planning to upgrade the tyres and the alloys for my civic. My friend has almost brand new 18" alloys with low profile Dunlop 205 section tyres. Do u suggest that i go for that or buy new 17" alloys?
Any idea about vehicle controlling issues with the 18 inchers?
Old 6th April 2013, 17:33   #505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanak View Post
Changed all 5 Tyres of my Civic to XM2-205/65/15 size.
Did you also consider the Michelin Primacy LC?

I have the PLC and they are supremely comfortable. I believe that the XM series is more for smaller cars?
Old 6th April 2013, 22:16   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Did you also consider the Michelin Primacy LC?

I have the PLC and they are supremely comfortable. I believe that the XM series is more for smaller cars?
Nope.I wanted something which can take up rough roads without sidewall issues.Based on reviews,went for XM2 (205/65/15). So far XM2 has been
very comfortable and higher Ground clearance due to 205 size has been of great help.
Old 11th April 2013, 20:53   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
17" Alloys hyper silver (Audi A6 replica) with Michelin Pilot Sport 3 225/45 R17 91W. Alloys @25K for 4, Tyres @50K for 4. The dealer bought back the OEM 15" alloys and tyres at 15K (OEM alloys and tyres are almost 3 yrs old, with 27Kms done) . Effective price for upsize 60K. I am really happy with the new alloys, kinda complete the looks of the car.

Attachment 966080
Whoa..How much do these alloys cost? Are they available in stock size 15"?
Old 11th April 2013, 21:18   #508
BHPian

Recently got to drive a Civic on 17 inch alloys. Just one question, how do people manage to use this as a daily driver on stock suspension? I'm 28 and not some old fart but even I couldn't come to terms with the harsh ride on regular city roads.

After the longest 60km drive of my life I was thrilled to get back to my own Civic with the stock alloys on 205/65 R15 C-Drives.

I really feel people should also consider coil-overs or some up rated suspension to compensate for the lower profile tyres. The price you pay for looks will kill your back on the long run.

I strongly urge those of you tempted to upgrade to 17 inchers to take a ride in a Civic with a similar setup and judge yourself.
flipsyde is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 12:39   #509
BHPian

Hi,

Time for me to change my tyres. After reading this thread and the Civic Maintenance one I have sort of narrowed down my options.
As far as size is concerned, I'm going to go with 205/65 R15.
Now comes the age old question, Yokohama C - Drives or Michelin Primacy LC or some equivalent Pirellis ??
Tyre gurus please help.
Old 30th May 2013, 13:30   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvhed View Post
Hi,

Time for me to change my tyres. After reading this thread and the Civic Maintenance one I have sort of narrowed down my options.
As far as size is concerned, I'm going to go with 205/65 R15.
Now comes the age old question, Yokohama C - Drives or Michelin Primacy LC or some equivalent Pirellis ??
Tyre gurus please help.
I went through the same dilemma a few months back. Evaluated Yokos, Primacy and Pirelli P7s. Finally settled on Yoko Db550 with the upgraded size and am loving it. No complains, super soft and silent ride
car.lover is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks