Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2013, 15:30   #286
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford Fiesta : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

I'd restrict my options to the first 3 in your list. Michelin also has XM2s of stock size. But with all 3, the best range of options starts from 15" rims. Guys like us with 14" rims are restricted in options.

Good Years make a lot of noise. I had them on my M 800 long back.

Meantime, in my recent trip to Srisailam (which has a 50 km ghat section), I got an F.E. of 14.5 kmpl, while the same stretch on my stock MRF tyres when the car was new gave me 14 kmpl. I do not find any difference in F.E. in the past 1200 kms that I've used so far.
Old 24th August 2013, 16:08   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos View Post
Friends my car needs an urgent tyre change. I have been lazy and its 50K plus and I have been riding the original MRF.

I went through the discussion here and also did some research. I think I would stick to the original size of 175/65/14 mostly for the reason of fuel economy as the warranty and all aint make any difference after 4 years of ownership.
If you are not so concerned about the tyre noise, then do consider the apollo accelere's. They are tough, good grip and little softer compared to the mrf's. The noise reduction won't be much. Worth the money. Highly under-rated.

The only advantage of conti's would be they are much more silent.

Stay away from goodyears (IIRC, they offer the gt3 range which doesn't age well).

Thanks,
Simple_car
Old 26th August 2013, 13:33   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I'd restrict my options to the first 3 in your list. Michelin also has XM2s of stock size. But with all 3, the best range of options starts from 15" rims. Guys like us with 14" rims are restricted in options.

Good Years make a lot of noise. I had them on my M 800 long back.

Meantime, in my recent trip to Srisailam (which has a 50 km ghat section), I got an F.E. of 14.5 kmpl, while the same stretch on my stock MRF tyres when the car was new gave me 14 kmpl. I do not find any difference in F.E. in the past 1200 kms that I've used so far.

Thanks Vnabhi. After my last visit to another dealer I think I would go with continental with the dimensions of 185 on the 14 inch rim. As per the dealer it will fit on the Alloys and will not impact much on the FE. Since there is no issue of warranty, I think I will go with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
If you are not so concerned about the tyre noise, then do consider the apollo accelere's. They are tough, good grip and little softer compared to the mrf's. The noise reduction won't be much. Worth the money. Highly under-rated.

The only advantage of conti's would be they are much more silent.

Stay away from goodyears (IIRC, they offer the gt3 range which doesn't age well).

Thanks,
Simple_car
So conti it is as of now. The dealer suggested that They are much better than the Michelin. Though I seriously doubt that there would be a drastic advantage.
Old 27th August 2013, 11:55   #289
BHPian

Update- I finnaly got the tyres changed to Continental 175/65/14 as the dealer did not have the 185. I was not too fussy about it as I prefered the original dimensions. The cost was 18K for 4 tyres at the rate of 4500 per tyre.

Will update on the noise once I get it out on the highway.
Rastapopoulos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2013, 12:43   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update- I finnaly got the tyres changed to Continental 175/65/14 as the dealer did not have the 185. I was not too fussy about it as I prefered the original dimensions. The cost was 18K for 4 tyres at the rate of 4500 per tyre.

Will update on the noise once I get it out on the highway.
Congrats. Can you post pictures of the car with the new tyres? And where they Eco-contacts?
Old 27th August 2013, 13:32   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Congrats. Can you post pictures of the car with the new tyres? And where they Eco-contacts?
Thanks!
I will do it Need to check on the name of the range. Will update on this.
Old 27th August 2013, 21:08   #292
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Friends my car needs an urgent tyre change. I have been lazy and its 50K plus and I have been riding the original MRF.

I went through the discussion here and also did some research. I think I would stick to the original size of 175/65/14 mostly for the reason of fuel economy as the warranty and all aint make any difference after 4 years of ownership.

I am not sure if the insurance if it gets void if there is anything that is not as per the company specs.

Considering that I retain the same wheel dimensions I thought of the 2 alternatives and 2 were added on visit to Darshan motors.

1- Yoko - But a lot of reviews say the side walls have issues and I think yoko might be an amazing tyre for countries where the roads are not as bad as we have. So this option is almost cancelled

2- Michelin - I had this in mind when I visited Darshan motors but he said that Michelin falls in the same category of Yoko and is meant for countries with better roads.

3- He is recommending strongly the Continental which he says are silent and also show better comfort

4 - His other suggestion is Good year

I plan to visit another tyre dealer today but thought I will atleast check what fellow Bhpians think over this while I do my rounds at the dealers.

Vnabhi I did not go with your choice mostly as you have done an upgrade to the tyre size.
Michelin is quite strong. We have rarely received complaints about the XM2. It seems to be much stronger than the XM1+ which itself was not too bad.

Yoko is also good but slightly softer.

Continental is equal to the Michelin in terms of sidewall strength.
Old 22nd September 2013, 21:01   #293

Re: Ford Classic alloy wheel + tyre upsize query

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
As far as I know, the Figo & the Fiesta share the rims & the Figo uses 5.5J rims. But do wait for the confirmation from a couple of other Bhpians.

Or even better would be to check with Ford service centers.
Many thanks, blackfire_9.

The Ford OEM alloy rims wereindeed 5.5J. Got the 195/60 R14 Bridgestone Turanza AR10s fitted with no trouble whatsoever on my new Classic 1.6 CLXi. Was told my most dealers that the ER60 has been discontinued, so went with the AR10.
Old 16th December 2013, 08:47   #294
BHPian

I am going to replace the stock MRF ZVKs (175/65/R14) of my Fiesta. My inclination is for Michelin XM2. My vehicle has another 1 year and 8 months of warranty remaining. I have particularly three queries to make here:

1. Is an up-size to 185/65/R14 going to void the warranty on power steering, etc?

2. Does the up-sizing cause significant loss in fuel average?

3. Is there any other Michelin model other than XM2 that I must go for?

Vipin.
Old 16th December 2013, 09:49   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipin Kumar View Post
I am going to replace the stock MRF ZVKs (175/65/R14) of my Fiesta. My inclination is for Michelin XM2. My vehicle has another 1 year and 8 months of warranty remaining. I have particularly three queries to make here:

1. Is an up-size to 185/65/R14 going to void the warranty on power steering, etc?

Vipin.
185/65 R14 will not have negative impact on any aspects, it is a good size for your car.
Michelin only has one model in this size.
Old 16th December 2013, 11:36   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzzme View Post
185/65 R14 will not have negative impact on any aspects, it is a good size for your car.
Michelin only has one model in this size.
I went for the 185/65 R14 Conti eco-contact 3 upsize on my Fiesta couple of months ago.
It pains me to report that the left-front tyre has made a gaping hole on the wheel well towards the front.

It was surprising considering the fact that the right-front had no such issues whatsoever.
I think this is a problem specific to my car.

I have no clue what the actual cause is. The wheel was balanced and aligned properly and the tyre doesn't touch anywhere at standstill.
Somehow, it seems to touch during runs and only on the left side.
I suspect that the wheel touches only at full-lock left turns, but I am not sure of this. Again, this doesnt happen at standstill.

No visible damage on the tyre yet, but Im sure it cant be good for it in the long run.
Old 16th December 2013, 11:49   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzzme View Post
I was also wondering whether there will be significant odo error, something like showing 1.2 kms for every 1 kilometer. I am not so much worried about fuel efficiency, as I am about the system of the vehicle. Is there any method to re-programme it, after up-sizing the tyres?

Vipin.
Old 16th December 2013, 12:14   #298
BHPian

Quote:

Vipin.
XM2 is a delightful tyre on road with absolute nil road noice and exemplary comfort level compared to MRF. i am on XM2 on my fista with stock size for last 20k kms and i never felt the need of an upsize except the low ground clearance some times. 185/65 is the next popular update amog fiesta owners for ride height issue .

i had issue with warranty on stearing column, shock and linkrod while i was driving with my previous set of tyres (195/60/14 Yoko), i managed with stock tyre from my frieend's figo.

hope it helps..
Old 16th December 2013, 12:30   #299
BHPian

Quote:
I was also wondering whether there will be significant odo error, something like showing 1.2 kms for every 1 kilometer. I am not so much worried about fuel efficiency, as I am about the system of the vehicle. Is there any method to re-programme it, after up-sizing the tyres?

Vipin.
102 km may read 100.
Old 16th December 2013, 12:32   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms_2191 View Post
XM2 is a delightful tyre on road with absolute nil road noice and exemplary comfort level compared to MRF. i am on XM2 on my fista with stock size for last 20k kms and i never felt the need of an upsize except the low ground clearance some times. 185/65 is the next popular update amog fiesta owners for ride height issue .
Thanks a lot for the inputs. The stock size in Michelin will retain my original ride height, I suppose. I never faced any trouble with the existing ride height provided by the MRF ZVK 175/65/R14. I hope the 185/65/R14 will maintain the same, excepting for a 0.2 inch increase in height, and a corresponding odo error.

Vipin.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks