Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2014, 15:42   #331
Distinguished - BHPian

235/60R16 Micheline Primacy LC V Rated Tyres

Hi,

I am looking for 235/60R16 tyres for my Tucson and Micheline Primacy LC are available in Mumbai in one shop. Any review of these tyres (more so on an SUV and in this size)? From Micheline website, Primacy LC appear to be passenger car tyres! In the SUV category (Lattitute, Lattitude Cross, etc), they don't have this size 235/60R16! So will this turn out to be putting car tyre on an SUV? And how bad will that be?

Also, UK reviews indicate that it's a good tyre but not a performance tyre and has soft side-walls.

My problem is current tyres which are 215/65R16, squeal a lot on corners (even at reasonable speeds) and I really hate that. The Hyundai recommended upsize is 235/60R16 and it's not a widely available size so I have never tried any tyre of this size. And the Yokohama's that I used had a very soft side wall and gave up easily while I was in ladakh!

Will primacy LC be a good choice on the Tucson considering:
- grip around corners (no squeal). I am not even talking of high speeds here
- potholed road and "no-roads". I mean I don't want to pay for soft sidewalls again
- reasonable life (4 years/40,000km)
- expressway performance
- wet performance

They are expensive (Rs.12000 each), hence I want to make sure if they will be worth it.

Please advise.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 31st January 2014 at 15:45.
Old 31st January 2014, 16:04   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post

- potholed road and "no-roads". I mean I don't want to pay for soft sidewalls again
Stay away. These tyres have soft sidewalls. I blew up one on Gurgaon roads as it hit a pothole.
bloodred is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2014, 18:15   #333
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 235/60R16 Micheline Primacy LC V Rated Tyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Hi,

I am looking for 235/60R16 tyres for my Tucson and Micheline Primacy LC are available in Mumbai in one shop. Any review of these tyres (more so on an SUV and in this size)? From Micheline website, Primacy LC appear to be passenger car tyres! In the SUV category (Lattitute, Lattitude Cross, etc), they don't have this size 235/60R16! So will this turn out to be putting car tyre on an SUV? And how bad will that be?
Primacy LC for an SUV is a not a good idea at all. These are soft comfort tyres. I had them on my Laura and did face sidewall issues, but tyres were good in terms of grip, ride and low noise.

Odd sizes are really tough to source. Did you try online tyre portals?
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 15:54   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Michelin Primacy LC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred View Post
Stay away. These tyres have soft sidewalls. I blew up one on Gurgaon roads as it hit a pothole.
Yes, I read that post of yours and I was worried. I will have to be really careful when driving over potholes (and that's weird for an SUV), but had to go ahead and buy those as nothing else is available in 235/60R16. And I have tried many makes and patterns in the default size (215/65R16) and all of them squeal in the ghats making me look like a stupid boy racer! Micheline Lattitude Tour HP were better of the lot, Yokohamas were silent for first 10,000KM, started howling (and squealing) after that and current MRF Wanderer does not squeal, it actually screams! From day 1! So i am guessing 215/65R16 is just not sufficient for the Tucson (Digital Vampire has always been telling me that Tucson needs 235/60R16, so this time I decided I should better try that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Primacy LC for an SUV is a not a good idea at all. These are soft comfort tyres. I had them on my Laura and did face sidewall issues, but tyres were good in terms of grip, ride and low noise.

Odd sizes are really tough to source. Did you try online tyre portals?
Yes, primacy LC are car tyres and not SUV tyres! Online, only Naankang are available in this size. I don't know much about them.

These tyres cost a LOT (Rs.12000 per tyre). They better serve me well and long...

BTW, drove back to Pune and no squeal in the ghat section. Torque steer is also reduced (may be because both front tyres are now equally new, balanced and aligned). Will keep everyone posted.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 3rd February 2014 at 15:55.
Old 3rd February 2014, 16:06   #335
Senior - BHPian

I have nothing against Primacy LC. In fact I owned 4 from May 2010 to Jan 2014. They give good ride comfort but I am not sure about their longevity. On my Corolla, after a puncture, I noticed numerous cuts on all the 4 Michelin tyres (31K, 45 months). In fact, the punctured tyre had to converted to a tube tyre. By comparison, the original Bridgestone lasted longer (46k, 38 months). In fact, I had a Bridgestone as a spare tyre and even after 7 years, it was still fine with no cuts etc.

I am not sure whether Michelins give a noticeably better ride compared with Bridgestones. It could be that one has a worn out older tyre (eg Bridgestone) which is not comfortable at all. When one changes to a new tyre (eg Michelin), one immediately notices an improvement.

For that matter, I replaced Michelins with Bridgestone on Friday 31-Jan, and immediately noticed an improvement in ride and reduction in road noise.

Maybe people have different opinions, but I am not convinced about the superiority of Michelins in ride comfort. I was advised rightly about their shorter life but I did not expect it to be only 31K. To make a comparison, one has to have comparatively aged tyres on the same vehicle.

Last edited by vasudeva : 3rd February 2014 at 16:08.
Old 3rd February 2014, 16:57   #336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
To make a comparison, one has to have comparatively aged tyres on the same vehicle.
Of course. All new tyres feel good. BTW, this MRF Wanderer seems one horrible tyre! It squeals from day 1! I will post a review after 30,000km (coincidentally that's what my Yokohamas lasted for if I forgive the howling that started after 10K)...
Old 3rd February 2014, 17:02   #337
Senior - BHPian

For the record, I had Bridgestone Potenza for 3 years and found Michelin Primacy LC to be not much superior to them. Yet I did not regret buying Primacy till of course their recent rather shorter than expected end of life. There were no signs of delayed wheel alignment or anything that could indicate improper driving or maintenance. Just cuts in many places. I could have used them for some more months but what the heck, I was in cash and the present month's salary was in.

I have nothing against Michelins (I have bought 8 Michelins for 2 cars once in 2009 and once in 2010). Just that they may last far less.

Last edited by vasudeva : 3rd February 2014 at 17:04.
Old 16th February 2014, 15:20   #338
BHPian

I am using Primacy LCs for more than a year now and recently did a 1,000 Km+ trip with speeds in excess of 140Kmph at times,with no issues at all.
But having said that,I use other Michelin tyres too,but these ( ie Primacy LCs ) make me scared when on bad roads especially on the highways. Maybe the constant feedback online about their less lasting capability or the soft side-wall issue has made me scared. But with other Michelins,I am good on any road conditions. With LCs, I am most careful on bad roads,on good tarmac,I throw caution to the wind.
Old 22nd February 2014, 22:55   #339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post

I am not sure whether Michelins give a noticeably better ride compared with Bridgestones.

but I am not convinced about the superiority of Michelins in ride comfort. I was advised rightly about their shorter life but I did not expect it to be only 31K.
I have run Michelin Primacy LCs on my earlier Corolla AT and the now MT - these tyres are very good on ride comfort ,and very low on noise , miles ahead of the Potenza RE-88and the Turanza ER-300 (endured on a friend's Altis).

I can't comment on life but do agree that Primacy LCs don't last as long as the RE-88.
Old 10th March 2014, 12:59   #340
BHPian

Have been using the Primacy LC for the last 7 months on my Optra Magnum and I am very happy with them. Good grip and very little road noise. My last tyres were Michelin PP2 and they lasted 55k Kms.Think the Primacy's are better in terms of less road noise.
Old 22nd March 2014, 20:15   #341

Hi guys,
I drive a 2010 Corolla Altis 1.8VL on mumbai roads and the car came fitted with the Bridgestone Turenza ER300 195/65 R15
I use the car when in India and these many years the car has run only 24000km
I guess due to the age the tyres are showing a lot if cracks esp on the side walls and hence wanted to change them.
You guys are well aware of the poor conditions of roads in mumbai and the monsoon hence kindly help me selecting a good set of tyres.
The only complaint i have frm the Bridgestone turenza is road noise, at speeds over 80 esp on concrete roads the noise is quite high and annoying. Kindly recommend ones which are comfortable, good handling and more importantly low road noise.
I read a lot of threads about Michelins having weak sidewalls and hence lot of cases of side wall damage after driving on bad roads is that correct?though we try being carful while driving on mumbai roads but then you cant really dodge every porthole...
The local tyre dealer suggests goodyear of similar profile.

My driving mix is 80% city roads and the rest highways
Cheers!!!
Old 22nd March 2014, 23:21   #342
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankzvohra View Post
Hi guys,
I drive a 2010 Corolla Altis 1.8VL on mumbai roads and the car came fitted with the Bridgestone Turenza ER300 195/65 R15
I use the car when in India and these many years the car has run only 24000km
I guess due to the age the tyres are showing a lot if cracks esp on the side walls and hence wanted to change them.
You guys are well aware of the poor conditions of roads in mumbai and the monsoon hence kindly help me selecting a good set of tyres.
The only complaint i have frm the Bridgestone turenza is road noise, at speeds over 80 esp on concrete roads the noise is quite high and annoying. Kindly recommend ones which are comfortable, good handling and more importantly low road noise.
I read a lot of threads about Michelins having weak sidewalls and hence lot of cases of side wall damage after driving on bad roads is that correct?though we try being carful while driving on mumbai roads but then you cant really dodge every porthole...
The local tyre dealer suggests goodyear of similar profile.

My driving mix is 80% city roads and the rest highways
Cheers!!!
Goodyears will be even worse than these when it comes to road noise. Mumbai roads aren't bad for 65 profile tyres, and unless you absolutely abuse the car you don't need to worry about sidewall issues. What you can do is upsize to 205/65 like moderator Vid has done. This will improve the comfort and provide a bit better grip. Check out the Michelin Primacy 3STs, get it in your stock size or the upsize. Try going to Pal tyres at Lamington road, or Premjis at Mahim, I don't think its worth going to any tyre person who recommends Goodyear.
Old 23rd March 2014, 07:24   #343

[quote=akshay1234;3396674]Goodyears will be even worse than these when it comes to road noise. Mumbai roads aren't bad for 65 profile tyres, and unless you absolutely abuse the car you don't need to worry about sidewall issues. What you can do is upsize to 205/65 like moderator Vid has done. This will improve the comfort and provide a bit better grip. Check out the Michelin Primacy 3STs, get it in your stock size or the upsize.

Hi Akshay,
Thanks for the input man, I wanted to know if upsizing the tyres will result im drop in fuel efficiency. One of the tyre dealers here suggested upsizing the tyres but i was not sure about it. I will checkout the above mentioned tyres as well, what do you think about Yokohama tyres ??
Cheers!!
Old 23rd March 2014, 09:47   #344
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankzvohra View Post
Hi Akshay,
Thanks for the input man, I wanted to know if upsizing the tyres will result im drop in fuel efficiency. One of the tyre dealers here suggested upsizing the tyres but i was not sure about it. I will checkout the above mentioned tyres as well, what do you think about Yokohama tyres ??
Cheers!!
Doubt the fuel efficiency would be noticeably different with just a +1 upsize. Yokohamas are good, but right now I don't think they have a competitor to the Primacy 3Sts.
Old 17th April 2014, 20:32   #345

Hi guys
I got 4 new Primacy 3LC Installed on my Corolla Altis about 12 days back and the same with new valves and balancing/ alignment costed Rs 25500/- and the old bridgestones gave me 1000 bucks.
Already did 1100 km with these new tyres including a round trip to Shirdi from mumbai and I must admit that the tyres are like a million times better than the Bridgestone Turenza. The ride is smooth a d soft and the bumps are not felt in the cabin.
With tyre pressure of 32 psi the bridgestones caused the car to jump a lot with a very stiff ride and loud road noise inside the cabin but the Michlines are just super super quite especially on the tarred roads and very comfortable, to be frank i was quite surpirised with such a drasitc change in the car ride.
However i find the braking ti be a bit weaker than the bridgestones, but i guess will het used to it. I say this coz i have recently got new break pads fitted onto the rear tyres.
Overall a very good experience and thanks a lot to you guys for your superb suggestion. If cost is not the criteria then please buy these cars and the moment u drive for the first time youd feel the difference.
Cheers!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks