Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2012, 15:54   #271
BHPian

Re: Michelin Primacy LC

Have done about 15K km on my Michelin Primacy LC. Noise levels are pretty much the same as when they were new. No complaints so far. Not done much of bad road or agressive wet road driving though.
Siva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 22:16   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I had the entire set replaced with PLCs and I am very happy with the silence and comfort. But there is a very distinct loss of handling as the sidewalls are soft. In fact when I press the brake and the car comes to a halt there is slight roll
Caveat - these tyres are not meant for rough roads - you need to be careful about the sidewalls and maintain recommended tyre pressures at all times.
Loss of handling is something which we all abhor. So going for low road noise and pliant ride means relinquishing grip/handling ! Is it ? If we go by R2D2s observation here,should we still accept Michelin Primacy LC as a premium tyre here in India ?

Quote:
It all depends on what you are comparing the PLC to. There are better tyres in the Michelin range, but more expensive of course.Been using it since March 2010 and it is the best tyre I've ever used. It's superb for low road noise and a soft ride. But it will compromise handling characteristics a bit. It also has soft sidewalls and can get damaged on rough roads. So be careful and make sure you ALWAYS maintain the correct tyre pressure.
See every time,handling is a issue with PLC.
Apart from soft side wall, which can potentially get damaged on rough roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
I have had the Michelin LC on my Elantra for 30000kms now and will change in another 1000 kms. Silent and Comfort. Grip levels are average both on dry and wet conditions. Recommended for people who want comfortable ride. Dont mistake for the mileage . I have been running this pete'd elantra only on the expressway often maintaining 140kmph speed. So , tires worn out quickly. "Will be trying to change to CPC2 or GIII soon. But not buying the same tire again. I need good grip on the highways.
Again somebody has issues with grip of this particular tyre. Why ?

One thing I want to clear at the outset is, I am a Michelin user personally for many years,and definitely going to buy a Michelin only,this time too. But I am really scared about PLC , although have received excellent recommendations from our resident tyre experts here on this forum, namely Nikhil and kpzen. It is a question of brain over heart for me. I would love to buy Michelin Primacy LC, but would detest tyre side wall bulge after few hundred kms. Or worse still is a scenario where I get a low tyre noise on crusing on highway, but unpredictable handling and low grip. Crickey !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Just a warning for anyone reading this thread and going for this tyre.I migrated from Potenza GIIIs on my Swift to Primacy LC on City. The tyres cant hold a candle in terms of performance I had with my Potenzas. Yes ride is soft, but its at the expense of handling and grip. I seriously recommend other tyres for any bhpian looking for even half way decent performance.
See what I mean. Handling and grip issues keep coming back again n again !

Side wall bulge and other related issues here on the other hand,if one notices,have happened mostly with persons who were cruising on reasonably good roads,rather than with those,who confirmed they were driving on bad stretches/confirmed about hitting potholes etc. Why ?

What are Primacy LCs definite competition in the market ?
Old 30th October 2012, 23:04   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
See every time,handling is a issue with PLC. Apart from soft side wall, which can potentially get damaged on rough roads.

Again somebody has issues with grip of this particular tyre. Why ?
I read somewhere that the 'LC' in Primacy LC stands for 'Luxury Comfort' (Nikhilb2008, correct me if I am wrong please) and let me tell you that these are the BEST tyres I have ever purchased. Mind you I was probably one of the early purchasers - I got my set of tyres in March 2010 over 2.5 years ago.

I have had NO issues related to grip, these tyres are sticky and believe me I do drive fast at times - even at 180 kmph the car feels stuck to the road. You give up a bit of handling for grip, comfort and very low rolling noise. You need be careful about tyre pressure as well.

It is a choice one makes and I will willingly sacrifice a bit of handling and give them a bit of TLC for the other benefits the PLCs offers me.

Will I buy them again for my car? Most certainly! In fact I'll opt for PLCs for my next car if possible. These are by no means the best that Michelin has to offer but for standard European or Japanese family/passenger sedans I don't think you can get better tyres. So unless you drive a luxury sports sedan/coupe that demands top notch rubber, the PLC will do. Is it a premium tyre? It is..for normal cars.

PS - if you routinely drive on rough roads, it is best to stick to BS or other brands, not Michelins especially not the PLC.

Last edited by R2D2 : 30th October 2012 at 23:07.
Old 31st October 2012, 00:18   #274
BHPian

Quote:
I have had NO issues related to grip, these tyres are sticky and believe me I do drive fast at times - even at 180 kmph the car feels stuck to the road. You give up a bit of handling for grip, comfort and very low rolling noise. You need be careful about tyre pressure as well.
R2D2
Thanks for your valuable inputs.But I am kinda confused with those highlighted statements. Could you elaborate in details , especially the second highlighted portion.

I drive pretty fast too,and more or less deliberately avoid bad roads. But I do remember hitting unmarked speed breakers at high speed once in dark (cd got stuck in my HU due to that), or hitting a huge crater on concrete road severely ( on steel rims with XM1 - rim was bent slightly,tyres remained unscathed ), etc. So I am scared about PLC having an issue on a highway road trip, where it is me and my family who is going to suffer, if PLCs side wall is such n issue ! Hope you understand my predicament. My heart wants PLCs, but mind is nitpicking to possibly earn some assurances from senior & knowledgeable tyre gurus,before I actually make the premium purchase !!
Old 31st October 2012, 08:28   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your valuable inputs.But I am kinda confused with those highlighted statements. Could you elaborate in details , especially the second highlighted portion
ultimatechamp, my views on handing can be seen as increase in body roll, but such an increase would differ from car to car and compared with the tyres it had previously. My car came with BS Turanzas and comparisons are with that as a baseline. As for grip - I find it more than adequate whether it be steaming down the roads at high speeds or on the twisties.

As mentioned before, unless you have a high end or exotic car this will serve you well. These tyres are meant for family sedans/hatches.

As for delicate sidewalls, if you have used XM1s then these are more or less equally tough or delicate - but not as strong as BS 250s, Turanzas, Potenzas or similar tyres. I am not even considering MRFs or CEATs here and have no experience with Continental or Pirelli. I avoid Falkens like the plague.

IMO, in light of your serious doubts about the PLCs, I would suggest the XM1+ as you have experienced them before. Or go for an equivalent in Continental's range.
Old 31st October 2012, 23:47   #276
BHPian

Quote:
ultimatechamp, my views on handing can be seen as increase in body roll, but such an increase would differ from car to car and compared with the tyres it had previously.
So does that mean that cars which have comparatively more body roll,will have even more roll with PLC ? Tall MPVs or Tall boy design cars having inherently higher body roll,around corners ?

Quote:
As for delicate sidewalls, if you have used XM1s then these are more or less equally tough or delicate - but not as strong as BS 250s, Turanzas, Potenzas or similar tyres.
AFAIK, XM1s / XM1+s were/are extremely durable tyres, and does not have that high number of complains here,or anywhere else.

Quote:
IMO, in light of your serious doubts about the PLCs, I would suggest the XM1+ as you have experienced them before. Or go for an equivalent in Continental's range.
Never have tried Continental,and am keen on Michelin only.I have been recommended V550 as well from Yoko. XM1+ as you suggest do not come in the size I am looking for , i e 195/60 R15 .

That is why I wanted to know, what are Michelin Primacy LCs competition in 195/60 R15 ?
Old 1st November 2012, 00:10   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So does that mean that cars which have comparatively more body roll,will have even more roll with PLC ? Tall MPVs or Tall boy design cars having inherently higher body roll,around corners ??
That's right. A car that's prone to rolling will roll a bit more...again, let me stress it differs from car to car. For my car, that increase is acceptable to me.

Quote:
AFAIK, XM1s / XM1+s were/are extremely durable tyres, and does not have that high number of complains here,or anywhere else.?
Michelins can certainly last a long time if they are treated right. In general they have softer rubber on the tread and sidewalls compared to the tyres we get in India, especially the rock hard models from CEAT and MRF.

I think problems with Michelins, especially bulges and warranty issues, have been discussed in detail on TBHP, especially the XM1 series as they are quite popular. There's a separate thread for that model.

Quote:
That is why I wanted to know, what are Michelin Primacy LCs competition in 195/60 R15 ?
What car do you want these tyres for?

I'd say Bridgestone Turanzas ER300, Continental CPC (ContiPremiumContact) or Yokohoma A Drives or Yoko AVS DB in the size you mentioned.
Old 1st November 2012, 00:23   #278
BHPian

Quote:
I think problems with Michelins, especially bulges and warranty issues, have been discussed in detail on TBHP, especially the XM1 series as they are quite popular. There's a separate thread for that model.
I know,I have gone through that thread. Personally I am very happy with Michelin and especially XM1 and XM1+ .

Quote:
What car do you want these tyres for?

I'd say Bridgestone Turanzas ER300, Continental CPC (ContiPremiumContact) or Yokohoma A Drives or Yoko AVS DB in the size you mentioned.
Suzuki Ertiga ZDi with stock alloys.
How is the MRF Z.L.O compared to PLCs ?
Old 1st November 2012, 01:44   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp
Suzuki Ertiga ZDi with stock alloys.
How is the MRF Z.L.O compared to PLCs ?
For your car I would choose from the following, in order of preference.

A) Michelin XM1 or PLC
B) Continental CPC
C) Yokohama AVS DB or C Drive
D) Bridgestone Turanza

MRF? UGH!! I would prefer Apollo Acceleres any day as I have good reports about this tyre.
Old 2nd November 2012, 00:45   #280
BHPian

Quote:
MRF? UGH!! I would prefer Apollo Acceleres any day as I have good reports about this tyre.
i myself have and am happy with apollo acceleres but mrf ZLO also has good reiews all around. wont hurt to check.
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:03   #281
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
i myself have and am happy with apollo acceleres but mrf ZLO also has good reiews all around. wont hurt to check.
This is based on my experience with MRF. Since then MRF & CEAT haven't made it to a list of brands that I will buy.

They are/were known to make tyres with hard compounds - the kind that we Indians love - last 50K kms albeit with a lot of rolling noise, making your car sound like a drum. :-) We put up with it in those old days due to lack of choice.

Unsure about the MRF tyres of today but I am willing to be pleasantly surprised.

Even so, I probably will still go in for Michelin, BS or Yokos or Continentals. IMHO MRF doesn't have the cutting edge tech or quality to beat these giants.
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:55   #282
Senior - BHPian

Can't speak for other products of MRF .. and neither do I have an high opinion on the other sub-brands of MRF. But they have their place in the scheme of things. Normal MRF's are extremely good rough-road tyres.

But the ZLo is something else altogether, it can be easily compared to C-Drives and according to some even come close to the Advans at just half the price. It's total value for money. They have good grip and excellent road holding capability, very little to no tyre noise. Have run 4K on the ZLo's and found nothing to complain yet.
lurker is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2012, 01:59   #283
BHPian

I hate MRFs like anything too,but have heard so much good about the MRF ZLOs,and over here in this forum as well.The tyre gurus are also unanimous about ZLO,especially due to its decent pricing.

I need superlative highway cruising tyres,with excellent grip,excellent dry n wet braking,negligible road noise,etc.But I am wary of these soft rubber compound tyres,which are notorious for their excessive wear n tear over our concrete highways.
Old 3rd November 2012, 12:32   #284
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp
I need superlative highway cruising tyres,with excellent grip,excellent dry n wet braking,negligible road noise,etc.But I am wary of these soft rubber compound tyres,which are notorious for their excessive wear n tear over our concrete highways.
The thing with tyres is that you can't actually test a set before purchasing. There are simply too many variables to decide if a particular tyre will suit your car, driving style and roads. There is some element of a gamble. So I prefer the softer compound international brands with low noise and good grip even if they don't last as long. The best part of international brands is that users abroad especially in parts of Asia with similar driving condition voice their views on the 'net. Something that helps in decision making.

Just my opinion.

MRF or Ceat ? No way, even if the Co gave em to me for free! :-)
Old 3rd November 2012, 12:45   #285
Senior - BHPian

ZLo's are soft compound tyres.

One thing about soft compound tyres is that they tend to have a single ply sidewall, so that ride-comfort increases or people can directly perceive increase in ride-comfort. One significant downside to that in Indian conditions is that due to our rough roads and potholes coupled with extremely high temperatures during summer, these singly ply sidewall soft-compound tyres are highly likely to burst during trying conditions upon stress. So depending upon your usage and whether one travels on rough roads frequently or consistently uses beautifully paved city roads most of the time, one should make a choice in this matter. MRF's and Indian manufacturers may be unsexy but they have very sturdy double ply sidewalls and deep treads to counter such situations, they may lower ride comfort but guarantee higher margin of safety to passengers. Can't say what technical changes they have done in ZLo's in this regard. It seems to be tougher-built than the Yokos for sure but has the latency of a Michelin on tar. May be a judicious compromise but I aint' complaining, yet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks