Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2008, 16:20   #376
BHPian

I am eager to hear how your new tyres are performing ?
I am interested in similar kind of configuration like yours but mine is power steering so will that be an issue ?
Old 12th August 2008, 17:38   #377
BHPian

tyre change

Hi, my stock santro xing tyres have done 60000 km (yes no typo!) ,and they have still some tread left.But I have decided to change anyhow,since the rubber is 5 years old and feels a bit hard.
Now,my query.I have gone through numerous pages on this thread,and it seems 165/60 R13 are the best upsize (we'll discuss companies later).But I want my new set of tyres also to last the same duration as my stocks (155/70 R13) have.SO should I upsize or replace stock with stock.Also I dont plan to get alloys,so are steel rims ok for 165/60 R13,and are these tubeless,since nowhere in the thread does anyone talk about tube/tubeless.(It seems,tubeless are assumed entity these days).
SO should I go for 165 tubeless on steel rims,or 165 tube type or 155.??
Old 12th August 2008, 18:04   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
So do you like the new tyres or not?
Just love them. The drive has become so so better now that it cant be explained. Anyone would agree after seeing the condition of the stock tyres. he he
Old 12th August 2008, 18:05   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum View Post
I am eager to hear how your new tyres are performing ?
I am interested in similar kind of configuration like yours but mine is power steering so will that be an issue ?
If u have PS then what are you thinking about so much. Go for it
Old 12th August 2008, 21:00   #380
BHPian

aditya the other day I saw Nanyang tires 165 ones
and HR alloys for about Rs3400 for one what do you think about both is it good, for what price should i bargain the HR alloys and maybe few suggestions on the tires also.
Old 13th August 2008, 00:30   #381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Hi, my stock santro xing tyres have done 60000 km (yes no typo!) ,and they have still some tread left.But I have decided to change anyhow,since the rubber is 5 years old and feels a bit hard.
Now,my query.I have gone through numerous pages on this thread,and it seems 165/60 R13 are the best upsize (we'll discuss companies later).But I want my new set of tyres also to last the same duration as my stocks (155/70 R13) have.SO should I upsize or replace stock with stock.Also I dont plan to get alloys,so are steel rims ok for 165/60 R13,and are these tubeless,since nowhere in the thread does anyone talk about tube/tubeless.(It seems,tubeless are assumed entity these days).
the best upsize is 165/65 R 13 and not 165/60 R 13. Tubeless on steel rims do not generally pose any problem unless the rims are heavily rusted....I have a Santro and used tubeless tyres on steel rims for 2 years before we changed to alloys
Old 13th August 2008, 02:57   #382
Senior - BHPian

Inder - Unless you're a very sedate driver any tyre set lasting 60k is going to be a rarity. But if that is your primary criteria I suggest you refit the same brand of tyres that came as OE with the car.

And yes, like Buffetfan pointed out the correct up size is 165/65 R13.
Old 13th August 2008, 10:12   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Inder - Unless you're a very sedate driver any tyre set lasting 60k is going to be a rarity. But if that is your primary criteria I suggest you refit the same brand of tyres that came as OE with the car.

And yes, like Buffetfan pointed out the correct up size is 165/65 R13.
Ok,me too was thinking of the same brand.But should I opt for 165??? Also tube or tubeless???

PS:I am not a sedate driver.I am a moderately aggresive driver,but dont put the engine or tyres to max limit.The new ones should atleast last me 45-50k if not 60k
Old 13th August 2008, 11:03   #384
RGP
BHPian

Query on tyres...

Hi,

I joined T-BHP recently and this is my first post.
This thread is just what I was looking for as I am currently scouting for alloy wheels and tubeless tyres for my Santro. A big thanks to Rajiv Kulkarni for helping me kickstart my search.
I explored some of the Bangalore shops mentioned in this thread and have shortlisted a few designs.. plan to finalize by this weekend. (HR is currently in the lead, but that could change).
Some of the shops suggested Michelin XM1 typres and this thread indicates that it is a popular choice. XM1 has an asymmetrical tread... so what impact would this have if the spare tyre has to be used it is of the 'wrong side'? Anybody with experience of this?
I would prefer symmetrical tread.. which tyres would be best?

BTW - Like Inder I am changing my tyres because they are almost 5 years old. The stock tyres have done 49K km and have plenty of tread left. A shopkeeper looked at them and estimated that they had been used 30-35k.

Regards,

Ranjit
Old 13th August 2008, 13:04   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
60k kms????Whatttt??? My stock tires ran only 36k. Had become hopeless by then. Mine were MRF zvts. The worst tires i can say. If u want life then go for the stock size. If u upsizing then do not expect more than 35-40k on them.
Old 13th August 2008, 13:32   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.86 View Post
60k kms????Whatttt??? My stock tires ran only 36k. Had become hopeless by then. Mine were MRF zvts. The worst tires i can say. If u want life then go for the stock size. If u upsizing then do not expect more than 35-40k on them.
Yeah even I am surprised.My maruti 800 tyres lasted me around 35k km.Stock tyres with tube or tubeless??
Old 13th August 2008, 13:56   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGP View Post
Some of the shops suggested Michelin XM1 typres and this thread indicates that it is a popular choice. XM1 has an asymmetrical tread... so what impact would this have if the spare tyre has to be used it is of the 'wrong side'? Anybody with experience of this?
With your stock tyres lasting 49k and still left with some tread IMO no problems. I see the upgrade lasting another 50k , looks like you are a sedate driver and seldom hard brake and wheel spin. A spare wheel shouldn't cause much of a concern.

Also before I forget look at the Potenza G-III's too.Just got a set installed on my cousins Santro and I did some real tyre squealing turns. No problems as such, I liked 'em.Good luck.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 13th August 2008 at 13:57.
Old 14th August 2008, 11:13   #388
BHPian

Got the Neo Wheels yesterday

Hi Everyone,

Finally the Neo Wheels arrived yesterday from Mumbai.

Went to Sachin's Auto Shop Koramangala yesterday around 4:00PM. He had kept the wheels ready for me, I also ordered a set of Michelin XM1 (165/65/R13 X 5 No.s) in exchange for my old stock Bridgestone S322 (155/70/R13) tyres.

Suraj & Kumar @ Autoshop were really helpful, my vehicle was then taken to Naveen tyres on 80FT Koramangala main road (near HDFC Bank) to fit the tyres and balance them.

I had to wait for half an hour before the tyres and wheels could be fitted to my vehicle.

The people @ Naveen tyres were also skilled, they used an automated tyre fitting machine and wheel fitting machines, by an hour or so the wheels were balanced, new tyres fitted onto my car.

I took the old rims back just in case I decide to sell my car sometime later.

Here's a breakdown of the expenses:

New Tyres michelin @ 2700 per piece (I guess these are old rates since I had booked them nearly 20 days back) = 2,700 X 5 = 13,500

Neo Wheels @ 15,500 (for a set of 5) = 15,500

Chrome Nuts = 1,000

Wheel Balancing = 670

Valves or Necks = 250

Exchange for my old tyres = -3500

Total cost rounded off to Rs.27,000/-.

I also changed my wipers to Bosch, paid about 325/- though.

Now my vehicle looks great also felt a slight difference in handling, smoother on smaller pot holes, however too early to comment.

As recommended by members will ensure that I runin my new tyres and then plan for a long drive.

Pics of the Tyres and Neo Wheel boxes and the alloys themselves:

1> New Tyres
Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro-img_1801.jpg
2> Previous wheel
Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro-img_1796.jpg
3> Neo wheels

Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro-img_1802.jpg
Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro-img_1803.jpg

4> New Wheel + Tyres Fitted

Upgrading wheels/tyres on Santro-img_1808.jpg

Thanks everybody for all the assistance provided.

Anybody interested to purchase Neo wheels in Bangalore can PM me or call me

Many thanks,
Rajiv
Old 15th August 2008, 11:52   #389
RGP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
...... looks like you are a sedate driver and seldom hard brake and wheel spin. A spare wheel shouldn't cause much of a concern.

Thanks. I never thought of myslf as a sedate driver, and my wife would definitely be surprised to hear this description.
I am inclined towards symmetrical treads - I figure that with the asymmetrical ones, the wheel rotation would be among three wheels on one side and two on the other.. so a couple of years down th eline I would have two tyres with a different level of wear. Any thoughts on this...?

Ranjit
Old 15th August 2008, 18:21   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGP View Post
I am inclined towards symmetrical treads - I figure that with the asymmetrical ones, the wheel rotation would be among three wheels on one side and two on the other.. so a couple of years down th eline I would have two tyres with a different level of wear. Any thoughts on this...?

Ranjit
I saw an earlier post of yours where you state Michelin XM1 is an asymmetrical tyre. As far as I know, it's a symmetrical tyre. I have fitted them on the Baleno, and rotated them twice already. They're excellent, great ride and traction.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks