Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2010, 18:33   #121
Senior - BHPian

There is also a decent quality pump available under the brand 'Linus'. I believe it comes with warranty and costs about 1500 or so.
Old 12th April 2010, 19:31   #122
Senior - BHPian

My thinking is that the first one is better as each time you remove the tire from the rim - the wheel balancing goes for a toss as invaiably the wheel / weights move a bit. Also there is added risk of tyre beading damage every time you unmount the tire from the rim.
in 9 years of tubeless tire use across four cars, I have got my punctures fixed with a plug always and it has leaked again only once. (15 punctures or so)
Old 13th April 2010, 00:19   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seek View Post
2.How can I tell if the tyre is damaged or do i rely on the puncture-repair guys advice? I want to be 100% sure about this damage bit to avoid a burst while driving in the future!!

3.This is the 5th puncture I've had in 6 weeks across 3 tyres. I dont go through any specific zone which might cause a puncture, just simple city roads. While it could be plain bad luck, I do cross this puncture shop everyday. And now tempted to think if the chap actually plots a puncture by throwing stuff outside his shop! Is something like this possible / prevalent? Maybe so many punctures have just got me suspicious about everything around
You could take it to any tyre shop that sells tubeless tyres. Usually they should also have puncture removal tools with them. They can tell you if the tyre is in good condition. Normally driving a partially deflated tyre on smooth roads once in a while may not lead to major damage to the tyre, but if it has happened repeatedly, you might as well get the tyres checked.

For tubeless tyres, having so many punctures on so many tyres in such a small period does sound fishy. First off make sure you really have tubeless tyres (mentioned on the sidewall). I know it sounds kinda lame, but many people still offer tubetype tyres as tubeless by just removing the tubes from inside. Also keep an eye out for the objects that are being pulled out from the tyres. If the puncture shop guy is playing some dirty games, all the objects pulled out from the tyres should be similar, i.e. nails of the same length/variety. You may also try complaining to the cops about the same, as it's highly unusual in tubeless tyres to be punctured so many times.

For the record with my M800, when I got the car and it had tube tyres on, in the monsoons I used to have a puncture every three weeks or so. After I put tubeless tyres, I remember just two incidents in almost two years where during the tyre rotation we had to pull a nail out of a tyre. Recently with my Santro (running on tubeless since two years), the rear left tyre started dropping pressure and I got it checked for puncture and found a small nail lodged in it. I was running this tyre on the expressways at speeds of 120kmph!! Point is punctures with tubeless are almost rare compared to tube type.
Old 13th March 2011, 17:52   #124
BHPian

Re: Punctures in tubeless tyres.

Hey!

Just read through the entire thread, but still have a doubt.

Can one do the same speeds one normally does on the highways after the puncture is fixed using the plug? Or does one need to maintain slower speeds?
PS: the tires (Apollo Acelere) are rated for 210Kmph and the car (i20 Crdi) regularly touches 170-180Kmph.
Old 13th March 2011, 20:51   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyking View Post
Hey!

Just read through the entire thread, but still have a doubt.

Can one do the same speeds one normally does on the highways after the puncture is fixed using the plug? Or does one need to maintain slower speeds?
PS: the tires (Apollo Acelere) are rated for 210Kmph and the car (i20 Crdi) regularly touches 170-180Kmph.
Yes,no problem.But make sure you do some low speed runs to wear off the exposed part of the plug.No need to drop your speeds
Old 1st April 2011, 17:00   #126
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday while inspecting the tyres I found a steel piece embedded in left hand rear tyre. Only on removing it completely I realized that it was in fact a nail almost 1 inch long (very sharp, used by cobblers to fix shoes, chappals etc). Before removing the piece I had measured the air pressure & it was @ 31 psi. I thought that today the pressure would have dropped considerably. However to my surprise it read 30 psi, though the nail was almost perpendicular to the wheel axis. I want to ask experts is there a possibility that the nail might not have ruptured the inner surface of the tyre. Note: My car is on Michelin XM1+ Tubeless tyres, 15 months old & done 28K kms. Normally for a puncture caused by nail, which is removed from tyre, what is the expected per day psi drop in pressure?
Old 3rd April 2011, 00:43   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Yesterday while inspecting the tyres I found a steel piece embedded in left hand rear tyre. Only on removing it completely I realized that it was in fact a nail almost 1 inch long (very sharp, used by cobblers to fix shoes, chappals etc). Before removing the piece I had measured the air pressure & it was @ 31 psi. I thought that today the pressure would have dropped considerably. However to my surprise it read 30 psi, though the nail was almost perpendicular to the wheel axis. I want to ask experts is there a possibility that the nail might not have ruptured the inner surface of the tyre. Note: My car is on Michelin XM1+ Tubeless tyres, 15 months old & done 28K kms. Normally for a puncture caused by nail, which is removed from tyre, what is the expected per day psi drop in pressure?
The nail did not penetrate completly into the tire.thats why there is no pressure loss.had it penetrated completly and you removed the nail you would have got a flat tire instantly
Old 3rd April 2011, 20:14   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The nail did not penetrate completly into the tire.thats why there is no pressure loss.had it penetrated completly and you removed the nail you would have got a flat tire instantly
Sagar, probably you are right, even today there was no pressure loss, this means that the nail didn't reach the inner surface of tyre, lucky me. However I was not lucky second time. Today while rotating tyres I removed two more nails, one was small & the other a bit bigger. When I tried to remove the bigger one by a plier I could hear the hissing sound of escaping air, that was a clear case of puncture. Since I had the kit handy, I fixed the puncture after removing the nail.
Old 6th May 2011, 18:56   #129
BHPian

Has anyone recently purchased this puncture kit in Bangalore. I live near Koramangala but can travel to Hosur road and other places to buy this. Can someone suggest a shop and price? What are the contents of the kit?
Old 18th May 2011, 17:14   #130
Senior - BHPian

The Price should be in the range of Rs.350-400/-

The Contents of the Puncture Repair Kit--
1) One Tool to Pierce the Tyre.
2) One Tool to Insert the Plug into the Tyre.
3) A set of 5 Plugs.
4) Cutter (Present in some Kits).
Old 24th May 2011, 12:56   #131
Senior - BHPian

Tubeless puncture repair shop in South Delhi.

Dear Guys,

Can someone suggest a good Tubeless puncture repair shop in South Delhi. My car's left rear tyre is loosing 12psi in a span of 7 days. Can't see any visible nail or anything. Can it be a leaking rim? In that case should I go to a tyre shop (if so please suggest a good one) instead of a puncture shop.

Thanks in advance. help.

Regards

Vinu
Old 24th May 2011, 13:21   #132
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tubeless puncture repair shop in South Delhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Dear Guys,

Can someone suggest a good Tubeless puncture repair shop in South Delhi. My car's left rear tyre is loosing 12psi in a span of 7 days. Can't see any visible nail or anything. Can it be a leaking rim? In that case should I go to a tyre shop (if so please suggest a good one) instead of a puncture shop.
Probably your valve might have developed a leak. Go to a good tyre shop with your own valve (costs around 100-150/-), else these shops can rip you by charging close to 400 bucks (sharing this from my own experience)
Old 24th May 2011, 14:27   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Probably your valve might have developed a leak.
As per the air filling guy in petrol pump there is no leak through the valve. But this is really annoying. I need a permanent solution to this. Can a tyre shop do anything to this? Something like removing the tyre from rim and fixing it again.
Old 24th May 2011, 14:37   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
As per the air filling guy in petrol pump there is no leak through the valve. But this is really annoying. I need a permanent solution to this. Can a tyre shop do anything to this? Something like removing the tyre from rim and fixing it again.
You can do a test yourself at home. If you have some big bucket or container put water in it. Remove the faulty wheel from the car & inflate it to 40-45 psi (I hope you have a portable inflator, if not then this is the right time to get one). Insert the tyre in the container & observe if there are any bubbles. Rotate the tyre slowly so that the whole circumference of the tyre is covered. Also immerse the valve portion completely & check if there are any bubbles (even very minute bubbles would indicate a slow loss of air)
Old 24th May 2011, 14:55   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can do a test yourself at home
But what if there is a leak through the rim?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks