Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2016, 09:27   #451
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectator View Post
He also said a new pattern called Geolander SUV too is available - less noisy apparently.
This Geolander SUV tire tread is an out and out HT tire, it first made its presence in size 235/65 R17 for XUV and new gen Scorpio.

Here are its pics

Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-4491287afa3247c9a8ae2efe05c9ffe2.jpg

I will prefer the AT than an HT tire, the tread design is much better as well. The same spec tires on the Yeti were on it till I last checked at 130K[from approx 85K] and looked good.

Last edited by Sheel : 31st July 2016 at 09:29.
Old 30th August 2016, 16:13   #452
BHPian

Guys, I just got back from Leh (a total of 7500 kms) and I must say Akshay's testimony on these tyres did come true, and not only did take all the abuse on the non-existing roads in and around Leh but also on the tarmac all along. Specifically to Leh, with my soft-offroader, the tyres were a blessing and gave me the additional edge by their 65 profile and eased out quite a few GC issues. The highways were not all rosy during my drive to and from Leh during which they really performed well and held their own. I'm extremely satisfied with the decision to go in for Falken tyre and take a bow. Cheers
sumzup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 12:47   #453
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumzup View Post
Guys, I just got back from Leh (a total of 7500 kms) and I must say Akshay's testimony on these tyres did come true, and not only did take all the abuse on the non-existing roads in and around Leh but also on the tarmac all along. Specifically to Leh, with my soft-offroader, the tyres were a blessing and gave me the additional edge by their 65 profile and eased out quite a few GC issues. The highways were not all rosy during my drive to and from Leh during which they really performed well and held their own. I'm extremely satisfied with the decision to go in for Falken tyre and take a bow. Cheers
Great to hear that sumzup. The Falkens are also doing duty on my Yeti for almost 20k Kms now and are still holding strong. The additional GC is a big boon and the 65 profile also has increased the ride comfort.
I was also in Ladakh from 19th-24th Aug (I had been initially planning to drive down in my Yeti, but ended up flying there as I couldn't get enough time off). I think I did see a KA registered Yeti there on Changspa road when we were there.

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 8th September 2016, 21:31   #454
BHPian

I am looking at Continental
max mc5 @ 9800 a piece. Dealer says will run for 60000 plus. Anybody used it? Have to buy tomorrow

Last edited by Carcrazy60 : 8th September 2016 at 21:32.
Old 9th September 2016, 07:56   #455
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcrazy60 View Post
I am looking at Continental
max mc5 @ 9800 a piece.
That appears as a car tire as well.

People are impressed with Falkens here but I haven't tried. Would go for Yokohama Geolander AT or Michelin Latitude Tour HP's again [as per usage]
Old 9th September 2016, 10:20   #456
BHPian

The dealer swears by them. Says merc owners are switching to them. One chap I know has used them on his sx4 for 63000/ kms they still look good to go. Getting tempted.
Old 9th September 2016, 12:20   #457
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The dealer swears by them. Says merc owners are switching to them. One chap I know has used them on his sx4 for 63000/ kms they still look good to go. Getting tempted.
I don't feel that the Contis will be right for your Yeti as they are quite soft tyres - the Falkens HT tyres suit the Yeti's character better and my recommendation will still be for the Falkens! You should also be able to get a very good price on the Falkesn ~6800 per tyre at a nearby shop. The Falkens are decently rugged and will survive mild offroad use (anyway most Indian Highways are like offroad use after rains!).
There were some users who tried Conti CPC2 in their Yeti's but I believe they did suffer early tyre damage - please do search the Yeti threads for more on this.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2016, 12:41   #458
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Tire dealers across say the same. Reason, F-A-T margin on Continentals is what I think is the reason.

I will never chose a car tire for the Yeti.
Old 9th September 2016, 14:51   #459
BHPian

I know. Tyre is sturdier then Michelin. Tread depth is more. Michelin were a thousand bucks less only with no sidewall protection. Plus the promise of replacement warranty 5 yes.

This bloke is running continentals on his Santa Fe. Originally his Santa Fe came with some Neilson tyre . When he wanted to return the car they replaced it with continentals. Useful reference point eh?

Fingers crossed. Went to him through a bloke who knows him, so hoping for the best.

Got sick and tired of the Goodyear's getting punctured. They had lost shape as well.

Last edited by Carcrazy60 : 9th September 2016 at 15:17.
Old 9th September 2016, 15:25   #460
BHPian

He had Falkens too but said your luck if you want it.

Got my Yeti serviced in Lucknow. Good service centre, but all spares not available. Staff seemed knowledgeable.
Old 9th September 2016, 15:33   #461
BHPian

Got a call from Vishal motors right now. A wheel cap logo they fixed could fall off any minute. They said they will replace it free of cost if it falls off!!.

Last edited by Carcrazy60 : 9th September 2016 at 15:52.
Old 10th September 2016, 10:17   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Carcrazy 60, IMHO, it is inappropriate to compare sx4 with yeti as both represent different class, usage, and importantly different weight category due to its' engine. If you see my earlier post on this thread you will read that I was half-satisfied with the Falken's early performance. Even though I acknowledged it for the strongest sidewall till date of all tyres used on my yeti, I was not impressed with the thread pattern and the tyre would slip with loose gravel on the tarmac. All this changed after my drive to Leh and in Leh where out of 1000-odd kms only 15-20% was on tarmac and the rest being on broken mountain roads. I came back mighty impressed with both the way the tyres handled the dirk track and stones/pebbles, and also with the overall grip of which I was so unsure during the initial run. Not only that, the entire drive to and from Leh to Bangalore was thick in rain (except in Ladakh district) and the tyres handled brilliantly without any uncertainty. There have been no cuts or minor damage both to the ribs or to the sidewall throughout this 7500-km journey. Let me mention here that there wasn't even a single puncture after driving through one of the most challenging terrain which would speak for the tyres inherent rubber/rib strength (If this is due to luck or not is highly debatable).

The other point about the mileage on tyres compared to Falken, my opinion is that if we are putting in 1-1/2 times the cost of Falken then the mileage averages out as we would be getting six tyres to Continental four tyres. Cheers
[My speed throughout the trip was within the permissible limits of the National Highway norms and I do not advocate over-speeding]
sumzup is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2016, 10:46   #463
BHPian

Let's hope the Falkens hold out well. Efficient cheaper tyres for the Yeti would settle the issue for us.

My problem was I had two practically new tyre and the other three had deformed . I was thinking of upscaling to 17" but it would have wasted two tyres.

These continentals are a lot heavier and difficult to press by hand compared to Michelin and Federals and I think Falkens .

They have side wall protection too.

I had raised the point about them being car tyres but he said he has been using these contis on his Audi Q3 for more than a year and has no problems so far.

The Yeti has shown improved ride till now. Tomorrow is the test as I will be doing around 600 kms on four lanes and bad roads combined, so let's see how they perform.
Old 12th September 2016, 21:25   #464
BHPian

Impressions of the Continentals after 600 kms .

They are grippier than the OEMS. Wet and dry.

The OEMS had given an average of 15.5 (mid info). The Continentals gave an average of 16 at the identical 1800 rpm.

Took the bad roads very well.

At the moment I am happy with these silica based tyres. They run a little hotter than the bridge stones and OEMS.
Old 1st October 2016, 12:49   #465
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Saw these deadly looking Tyres at Tyre Empire HSR today.
They are the right size for the Yeti (acceptable upsize from 215/60/16), and will give the Yeti a higher stance and perhaps a "tougher" look.
This OEM size of 215/65/16 is used in the Duster and the Audi Q3.
I have upsized my tyres to Falkens in this size.

These Conti Cross Contact AT's cost about Rs 9000 odd each.

Probably ideal for use by those who take their Yeti's off the road or on trails and on adventure trips.
I would believe these tyres, while they seem to have a very good tread, would be quite harsh for city riding.
Great for Semi Rural or Rural Yeti users Im sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_8506.jpg  

Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_8507.jpg  

Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_8508.jpg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 1st October 2016 at 12:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks