Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2015, 17:16   #316
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasperTee View Post
I hit the tyre bolt of parked rickshaw and this is what I was left with. No damage to that Rickshaw that was parked on the wrong side of the road on a curve !

The tyres you mentioned still have soft sidewalls I believe..

Like I said I am a relatively fast driver and have questions regarding safety now.. would this upsize affect

1. Turning radius
2. High Speed Handling (Grip + Cornering )
3. Braking

The increase in GC would be just great though
To be honest I don't think many tyres would have survived that incident.

The Michelin sidewalls do not seem to be weak. My Yeti has had a lot of bad roads thrown at it, and the tyres haven't been affected by them.

Turning radius seems the same. While high speed handling is better, due to more grip from the Michelins. The body roll too seems to be the same. Braking is a bit better, but again the Yeti's brakes aren't great. What does help is coding the brake assist to high through VCDS. It improves the brake feel.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 19:23   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Like I said I am a relatively fast driver and have questions regarding safety now.. would this upsize affect

1. Turning radius
2. High Speed Handling (Grip + Cornering )
3. Braking

The increase in GC would be just great though
Friend

Please read the reviews posted by several users on this thread and you will get the answers you are looking for.

I have personally put in feedback on both the Michelins and the Falkens, as I am now on my second set of tyres. Similar updates have been posted by almost all active Yeti owners on this forum - you will find multiple options being discussed.

If you were so very keen on high speed handling, grip and cornering, its not the tyres you've got wrong - its the vehicle. However, for the vehicle in question the tyres suggested should meet your requirements.

And in your specific instance, its not much of a decision - any tyre would be considered an 'upgrade' from the Goodyears you've been using. Perhaps even Chinese tyres are better than those.

Since you've asked this question a couple of times now, I'm really not sure what sort of assurance you're looking for. We do not issue guarantees.

Last edited by Steeroid : 10th August 2015 at 19:51.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 19:52   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Friend
Since you've asked this question a couple of times now, I'm really not sure what sort of assurance you're looking for. We do not issue guarantees.
Well, Thankyou for your reply.

Akshay1234 seems to have cleared every single doubt.

Not really sure how many times must I have asked that question since it was only my first post. Excited and confused after reading 21 pages prompted me to write.
While I understand that any tyre would be better than the Goodyears, it was specifically the Upsize' that I was doubtful about. And as far as the Car of my choice is concerned , I don't have any complaints.
Old 10th August 2015, 23:00   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, Thankyou for your reply.

Akshay1234 seems to have cleared every single doubt.

Not really sure how many times must I have asked that question since it was only my first post. Excited and confused after reading 21 pages prompted me to write.
While I understand that any tyre would be better than the Goodyears, it was specifically the Upsize' that I was doubtful about. And as far as the Car of my choice is concerned , I don't have any complaints.
How fast do you drive? Recently I drove to Moradabad from Noida (back and forth) with the 215/65 profile. And because it was an emergency (a sudden death incident in my friend's family), I was very generous on the gas pedal. There were light shower too. And I was easily cruising at 140 kmph on empty highways comfortably without losing grip or steering feedback. On my way back same day, being Sunday, there were less traffic and I tried varying speed to test the tyres. I won't divulge the top speed, but if you are a fast driver, there is no better tyre for the Yeti (at least in India) than the Michelin tour HP.

Last edited by iTNerd : 10th August 2015 at 23:02.
iTNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2015, 15:30   #320

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
How fast do you drive? Recently I drove to Moradabad from Noida (back and forth) with the 215/65 profile. And because it was an emergency (a sudden death incident in my friend's family), I was very generous on the gas pedal. There were light shower too. And I was easily cruising at 140 kmph on empty highways comfortably without losing grip or steering feedback. On my way back same day, being Sunday, there were less traffic and I tried varying speed to test the tyres. I won't divulge the top speed, but if you are a fast driver, there is no better tyre for the Yeti (at least in India) than the Michelin tour HP.
Thanks for this .. Tyres changed yesterday !
Michelins 215/65/

Handles slightly differently, mostly for the better though. Keeping the tyre pressure to a minimum right now to get use to this.
Old 2nd September 2015, 03:01   #321
Team-BHP Support

The Yeti has done about 36k kms on the Latitude Tour HPs, small chunks of rubber have now started coming out of the tyre tread on the front tyres. Its definitely time to change, and am now wondering between the same again or the Falkens or Michelins.
Old 2nd September 2015, 08:45   #322
Team-BHP Support

Like clothes, wish we could try out tires as well. I don't know, but I am finding the Yokos to be less crashy than the Michelins. Have driven it close to 4,000 kms in the past month. While braking hard, there is some dramatic tire noise, else as of now, they are on par with Michelins.

Surprisingly, Yokos [FR] suffered from multiple puncture. But mushroom patch has worked wonder.
Old 2nd September 2015, 15:04   #323
BHPian

At the outset, thanks to itnerd, behemoth, nisarg80 and also sheel (for being the first to go for the tyre).

Update on the tyre scene seems to be that nothing has changed since this thread was started 22 pages ago. We are still at the same options, more or less.

Best option in 215/60 at this stage seems to be Michelin Primacy 3 STs, but dealer was recommending the Latitudes. Finally went for the Latitude Tour HP 215/65, came for 9800 apiece (in Mumbai). Balancing weights Rs. 1000 and 600 for the valves.

Also mentioned that 215/65 has become more popular and cheaper because of Duster / Terrano.

Car feels less noisy for sure. Or maybe i want it to be because i just spent 40k on it! Will get a better idea on road handling when i take it for a spin over the weekend.

Donno whether it was my old tyre condition (lots of punctures and one uneven tyre), dealer insisted that I keep the 195/60 spare and not replace with one of the old tyres. The difference in GC is a bit worrying.

Other details - 2012 Yeti 4x2, 27500 kms done, tyres had a little tread left but one tyre had a visible bend in the tyre/belt (not sure what the exact term is).

OT, I post once in six months so i will never stop being a Newbie, but I continue to enjoy reading everybody's inputs..

Also OT, got CR-70 fixed on the front screen.
Old 2nd September 2015, 22:30   #324
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achu View Post
At the outset, thanks to itnerd, behemoth, nisarg80 and also sheel (for being the first to go for the tyre).

Also OT, got CR-70 fixed on the front screen.
Hi Achu
For the spare tyre please get the 215/60 R 16 tyre as if you use the 195/60 it will damage the Haldex clutch due to excessive slippage due to more than 5% speed difference with your new tyres.
Old 3rd September 2015, 13:00   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Achu
For the spare tyre please get the 215/60 R 16 tyre as if you use the 195/60 it will damage the Haldex clutch due to excessive slippage due to more than 5% speed difference with your new tyres.
Its a 4x2 so no Haldex I think.

But concern noted. Is there any issue that the steel rim of the spare tyre cannot fit the broader 215 tyre? Both the Alloy and the spare are R16.
Old 3rd September 2015, 15:21   #326
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achu View Post
Its a 4x2 so no Haldex I think.

But concern noted. Is there any issue that the steel rim of the spare tyre cannot fit the broader 215 tyre? Both the Alloy and the spare are R16.
If its 4x2, it will be less of a problem, but you need to mount the spare only on the rear axle and never on the front axle.

The 215 Tyre fits easily on the standard steel wheel provided - though when you put it in the boot, it lifts the boot cover up a bit.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 18:59   #327
Team-BHP Support

Getting the Falkens put on as I type here. Got a very good deal, and hopefully they'll be about as good as the Michelins going by what Steeroid says. The Michelins lasted 37k kms, and anything around 30-35k with the Falkens will keep me happy.
Old 6th September 2015, 08:41   #328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Getting the Falkens put on as I type here. .
Akshay, pictures and impressions as and when you come up with. I want to see the tread design as well.

How much has the Yeti clocked? Mine is at 96K.
Old 6th September 2015, 13:28   #329
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Akshay, pictures and impressions as and when you come up with. I want to see the tread design as well.

How much has the Yeti clocked? Mine is at 96K.
Will add some pics. First impressions are good. Maybe the Michelins were at the end of their life cycle, but these Falkens seem pretty silent and seem to ride well. I agree with Steeroid that they almost feel like the Michelins when they were new.

My Yeti is at 57k kms now. Planning on getting some work done next month, full body overcoat, etc. Had a bad chauffeur in the middle who ended up denting and scratching the car.
Old 21st September 2015, 13:12   #330
Distinguished - BHPian

Got the Falken Wildpeak HT01 Tyres on my Yeti today, and got a good deal too- they came at Rs 7000 per tyre, including balancing, fitment and wheel alignment net.
Tyres are quite robust in construction and look well built. They are "Made in India" and also come with ISI marking.
The standard warranty on the tyres is 5 Year and also includes 2 year road hazard warranty.
They are 215/65 R16 98H rated and also M+S rated.

Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20150921_112938.jpg

I had to replace my Bridgestones as one of them had a sidewall puncture and another one got a nasty sidewall cut which was dangerous - so decided to replace all four (though they had covered only around 37,000 kms and still had some tread left on them). I also upsized to the 215/65 R16 Size with the new Falkens.

Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-20150921_112946.jpg

First Driving impressions (5 Km of driving so far!) seem good. Noise is minimal and steering response is good. They also soak up the jerks better at low speed and cushion potholes decently. The Yeti's suspension definitely suits these tyres better as the wheel arches look better filled and the hardness of the low speed ride is reduced.

Will update again after a week as I will be driving to Bharatpur over the weekend and will get a chance to cover around 500 Kms on these new tyres.

Here is what my Yeti now looks like with the New Falkens in place. The wheel arches look better filled in now. Ground clearance also goes up by around 10mm.

Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-1442842356138.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 21st September 2015 at 19:19. Reason: Posts merged on request.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks