Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2015, 17:03   #376
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
What do you gentlemen say?
Do share your thoughts on my preferences as outlined above!

Thanks
My thoughts are that you should forget what the tread looks like. If there is anything I've figured, its that by looking at the tread we cannot come to any conclusions about the tyres.

In car tyres, Goodyear F1s have the sportiest looking treads. Michelins have the most boring treads, but yet outperform the Goodyears in every conceivable way.

So like we have said before, go for the Michelins eyes closed. With only 800 rupees of difference between the Falkens and these I would take the Michelins.

I think you like the Cross Contacts and the Yokos because they are all terrain tyres with a more chunky tread pattern. Do note these will be more noisy and have a harder ride than highway terrain tyres which the Michelins, Falkens and Pirellis are. Also for your use HT will be more than enough.

The Pirellis too will be good, but I cannot comment as I have not used them personally. But have experienced them in a different size in a Land Rover.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2015, 18:37   #377
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I saw many Yetis this last one week we were in Turkey on holiday.
All of these seem to be having the tyre size 205/55/16.
Ranging from Yokohamas to Continentals with Continentals being predominant.

I wonder why the Turkish cars seem to have a different size from the ones in India.
And am wondering if I should also consider using the same size.
Old 29th December 2015, 20:10   #378
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I saw many Yetis this last one week we were in Turkey on holiday.
All of these seem to be having the tyre size 205/55/16.
Their roads are a lot better even in rural areas so a lower profile is okay
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2015, 05:18   #379
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Their roads are a lot better even in rural areas so a lower profile is okay
Thats quite true. And those cobbled roads like they have there, don't hurt tyres the way the broken, stony and potholed roads of India do.
Cobbled roads had a direct relation to the development of some of the best built and sprung suspension systems in the world - notably the French cars, Citroen and Renault etc.
But I do take your point on the tyres.
And I think that I will go with the general suggestion of 215/65/16 for the Yeti's replacement tyres here in Bangalore. Unless I can do 225/65/16 which is a rare size and might foul the wheel arches - though I don't know for sure.
May also think on 225/60/16 if the tyre's toughness and tread pattern are appealing enough.
But for the most part Im more and more convinced on 215/65/16 being the correct upgrade and thankfully the proliferation of Dusters and Terranes have seen to it that this size is available easily unlike earlier.
Old 11th January 2016, 14:36   #380
BHPian

So, finally it was time to change tyres of my Yeti.
Got Falken Wildpeak H/T01 at Rs 6800 per peice including balancing and wheel alignment.
initial impressions: they are silent, ride has become more plush due to higher profile compared to stock size. These come with 5 year warranty + 2 year Free Road Hazard Warranty.

The previous set of tyres that i was using was Michelin Primacy 3 ST in stock size.
the reason I got them changed was because one of the tyre had a sidewall burst which led me to buy a used different size tyre (225 55 16) from a tyre repair shop, and also a few chunks of rubber had started to fall off near treads on michelins. Michelins lasted 35k kms.

My car has run 70k kms in 3.5 years of ownership.
Old 11th January 2016, 16:04   #381
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
Got Falken Wildpeak H/T01 at Rs 6800 per peice including balancing and wheel alignment.
initial impressions: they are silent, ride has become more plush due to higher profile compared to stock size. These come with 5 year warranty + 2 year Free Road Hazard Warranty.

Good Choice Sagpatel and the best part is that you still got them at the old price! Mine have done almost 7000Kms now and I am still very happy with them - they are as silent at Day 1 (Probably even more now) and the ride feels confident and planted.
The Falkens are good tyres for the Yeti and suit it well. My Yeti is around 88K Kms in 5 Years now.
Old 12th January 2016, 09:28   #382
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post

The previous set of tyres that i was using was Michelin Primacy 3 ST in stock size.
the reason I got them changed was because one of the tyre had a sidewall burst which led me to buy a used different size tyre (225 55 16) from a tyre repair shop, and also a few chunks of rubber had started to fall off near treads on michelins. Michelins lasted 35k kms.

Sagpatel:

What size of tyres did you buy? 215/65/16?
Can you post a pic of how these tyres fill the wheel arches?

Im still dilly dallying on my tyre change - given that I hardly do 800kms in a month and that also, inside the city, my tyres will last me peacefully for another 2 months. Im thinking of changing my tyres only in March/ April.
But I want a nice tread pattern a tough tyre and I really want to upsize to the extent of filling up the wheel arches well.
Im still thinking 215/65/16 as recommended by many but may also consider 225/60/16 or if at all I get 225/65/16 I may consider those too.

Behemoth: As always your feedback will be appreciated.
Old 12th January 2016, 14:02   #383
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can you post a pic of how these tyres fill the wheel arches.

Behemoth: As always your feedback will be appreciated.
Hi Shankar
I had posted some images of my Yeti with the Falkens in 215/65 R16 a few pages back on this thread - page 33 post# 330. They are really good tyres especially if you can get them at the discount price in a physical store.

Last edited by Behemoth : 12th January 2016 at 14:04.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2016, 11:32   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Sagpatel:

What size of tyres did you buy? 215/65/16?

Can you post a pic of how these tyres fill the wheel arches?

Im still dilly dallying on my tyre change - given that I hardly do 800kms in a month and that also, inside the city,

Yes i got 215/65/16
I only have front tyre pic as of now. My car is currently with autobahn service centre because they messed up something with the cluster ambient light sensor when they changed the cluster under warranty 10 days back, once i get my car back i ll post complete side profile if you want.

I you are going to change tyres after two month i would suggest to change them now if you are going for Falkens as at that time they may not be available at around 7k a piece. Skoda Yeti : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1452664962.619673.jpg
sagpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2016, 07:15   #385
BANNED

Thank you guys for the pics and comments.
Im seeing Falken Wildpeak available now on Paytm at 6867 per tyre or about 28800 for 4 tyres. Two listings.
Looks nice.
Saying that Im worried about the warranty in case of failure, if I buy online rather than at a physical store.
And anyway I really don't mind buying good tyres at a fair price from a physical store if supported properly by warranties etc.
I just wanted to make the right choice.

Saying that Im going to upgrade only in March/ April because like I said, I hardly drive my car apart from the Home-Office-Home commute and hence, my OEM tyres still have a few months life left in them yet!

But based on all your feedback I am narrowing my choice down and tending towards the Falkens.
Old 14th January 2016, 10:28   #386
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Saying that Im going to upgrade only in March/ April because like I said, I hardly drive my car apart from the Home-Office-Home commute and hence, my OEM tyres still have a few months life left in them yet!

But based on all your feedback I am narrowing my choice down and tending towards the Falkens.
Don't delay your upgrade decision till March/ April as the difference in the ride quality is quite substantial ! (Why prolong your suffering !)
Get the Falkens now and also save money as you never know when the initial stocks will run out. What I suggest is that you try to get the discounted price from a phyiscal shop which will also give you peace of mind of warranty (this is what I did!)
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2016, 13:52   #387
BHPian

My Yeti rides on Falken 215/69/16. Last year I blew a tyre during an escape manoeuver (avoiding a crazy ST bus on the Amboli Ghat). Falken replaced it under warranty, though I had to pay a bit for the usage on my blown tyre. At <7K a piece, it's a steal. I'm guessing the list price is >10K. Now with Nitrogen in their lungs, I'm actually liking their ride quality too.
Old 29th February 2016, 13:39   #388

Need some quick help advice... i need to change my Yeti tyres (Goodyear) immediately due to serious defects (deformed). The Michelin Latitudes are not available. What should I go ahead with.
Old 29th February 2016, 15:34   #389
BHPian

You can go for Falken Wildpeak H/T01 215/65/16 if you don't mind upsizing. I recently changed to Falkens and am very happy.
if you want to stick to stock size, i had michelin primacy 3st and was satisfied with them.
However i will strongly recommend Falkens
sagpatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2016, 15:38   #390

The Falken Wildpeak are not available in Bangalore at present, since i have to take a call today, I'am considering the Michelin primacy 3st. I'am not too keen on the upsizing.. i do hope that going with the primacy 3st is the right decision..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks