Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2016, 07:21   #106
BHPian

Re: When is the right time to change tyres?

Friend, I went through the complete thread and had made up my mind to replace all 4 tyres of i10 (still running OEM tyres from 2010, done 16k kms) as I am planning for a long trip. However, was surprised with the feedback I got from Service Advisor (SA) and Tyre Dealer.

I had given my i10 for service yesterday and asked SA for his opinion and he mentioned that the tyres look good and surface cracks are normal. Unsatisfied, I went to Michelin dealer and I was sure he would be keen to sell new tyres. He mentioned that there are no side wall cracks and surface cracks are normal and you can run for another 5k kms easily.

Now I am confused. I am attaching few snaps. Let me know your thoughts.

Name:  side wall1.png
Views: 7443
Size:  821.7 KB
Name:  side wall2.png
Views: 7493
Size:  769.5 KB
Name:  surface crack1.png
Views: 7572
Size:  955.4 KB
Name:  surface crack2.png
Views: 7520
Size:  867.3 KB
Old 7th September 2016, 08:49   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
He mentioned that there are no side wall cracks and surface cracks are normal and you can run for another 5k kms easily.
His opinion could be based on tread wear & probably right. But, key question would be how many more months for covering those 5k kms.

Quote:
Now I am confused. Let me know your thoughts.
16k Kms in 6 years shows minimal usage. Please change tyres just due to age. If your usage is going to be similar, please continue with Bridgestone (same as OEM). Michelin XM2, Yoko Earth1 would not make sense as your usage is less.

Are these kind of cracks across all tyres & only on outside? Is wheel alignment done at regular intervals? Cracks are appearing even on grooves.

Last edited by sukiwa : 7th September 2016 at 08:50.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 18:41   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Please change tyres just due to age. If your usage is going to be similar, please continue with Bridgestone (same as OEM). Michelin XM2, Yoko Earth1 would not make sense as your usage is less.

Are these kind of cracks across all tyres & only on outside?
Thanks. Yes, I am also inclined to change tyres due to age. Any reason why you are not recommending XM2, Yoko Earth1. The OEM one is BridgeStone B250. I was looking at B290 and XM2 and difference in cost is not much. Yes, the cracks are across all tyres.
Old 8th September 2016, 08:28   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any reason why you are not recommending XM2, Yoko Earth1.
It's mainly due to low usage in your case.
We have examples within forum on both sides e.g. Michelin XM1 showing cracks in 11k kms in 4+ years whereas person like ParagSachania having clocked 68k kms in less than 3 years & those Michelin XM2 still has another 5k life in them.
Although issues with XM1 have been largely solved/bettered in XM2, but my preference would be non-soft tyres if usage is going to be low.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2016, 11:53   #110
BHPian

I have been looking for advice on changing tyres for my Xcent all throughout the forums, but haven't been able to find anything helpful. So decided to chime in with my question on this thread.

I own a Hyundai Xcent SX(O) that's about 20 months old, and has run 35K kms until now. It runs more on the highways than within cities since I prefer to Uber in the city traffic. I am not very sure about the specs of the OEM tyres, but I believe it's Bridgestone B250 175/60 R15 81H. If anyone else has a better idea of the OEM tyres that come with alloy wheels on the Xcent SX(O), do advise.

Anyway, I have been facing a lot of tyre bursts lately. In the last 3 months, I have had 2 bursts on high speeds, and at least 4 complete flats while parked for a couple of hours. Currently, 3 of my tyres have had to be repaired for punctures, and one another had a burst too bad to repair. It currently has a tube in it and services as a stepney.

Keeping all that in mind, do you guys think it's a good time to change all my tyres? And if so, then which tyres would you recommend? I am an absolute novice when it comes to tyres. I did read through this thread and it also gave me the idea of upgrading the tread width.

Keenly looking forward to your advice.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd June 2017 at 07:34. Reason: Typo
Old 8th September 2016, 12:13   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayonpal View Post
Keeping all that in mind, do you guys think it's a good time to change all my tyres? And if so, then which tyres would you recommend? I am an absolute novice when it comes to tyres. I did read through this thread and it also gave me the idea of upgrading the tread width.

Keenly looking forward to your advice.
Upgrade your tyres to 185/60R15. You can consider these three options:
1. Michelin XM2
2. Yokohama Earth 1
3. Continental CC5

There are separate threads out here where these tyres have been discussed. You can read about them and see what pros and cons suit you.

My pick would be CC5.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd June 2017 at 07:33. Reason: Quoted text edited
Old 8th September 2016, 12:24   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Upgrade your tyres to 185/60R15. You can consider these three options:
1. Michelin XM2
2. Yokohama Earth 1
3. Continental CC5

My pick would be CC5.
Thanks for the recommendation. Could you clarify why you'd recommend the Continental CC5 among the 3?
Old 8th September 2016, 12:31   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayonpal View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. Could you clarify why you'd recommend the Continental CC5 among the 3?
They are a good mix of comfort and grip. The compound softness seems just about right, definitely not as soft as Michelins. A colleague of mine just got CC5s for his Ritz and I travel with him once a week or so and I can feel how good the ride quality is with CC5.

I have Earth 1 on my Altis and another colleague has them on his Ritz. Overall they are good value for money but nothing more than that. My order of preference would be:

CC5 > XM2 > Earth 1

But again, please read about them and see what your needs are - comfort, grip, noise levels, durability, price etc etc and decide.
Old 12th September 2016, 10:12   #114
Senior - BHPian

Dramatic improvements after changing tyres

Ride quality in my Forester had become very hard and the mechanic advised me to change the tires as they have become hard. To my eyes the tires looked as if they still have some life, except for the uneven wear. But when I checked the manufacturing date I was shocked to find out that they were a decade old (I go them fixed in 2010, but looks like they were 4 years old when I bought them)

So I decided to get them changed immediately. After fixing the Yokohoma Geolander AT tyres, I immediately noticed the following
  1. Dramatically improved ride. Car feels it is rolling on rails. No more 'thud' while going over sharp joints.
  2. Car feels taller. You feel seated significantly higher. I never knew that 4-5 mm (worn out treads) can make such difference.
  3. Significantly lighter and smoother steering (this also could be result of alignment and balancing)
  4. Much quieter engine. Wonder how is this possible. Possibly due to the lower rolling resistance of the new tires and increased diameter.
I felt like kicking myself for not changing the tires about a 1 or 2 years ago and living with the harsh ride (and possible damage it would have had on the suspension)
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 11:09   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the cracks are across all tyres.
You need to check the internal of the tyre. I changed my tyres that had a MFD of 4 years ago even though I had covered only 15k kms. They looked good on the outside however the insides were ruined and one of the tyres had become leaky too.

Do check the internals and then take a call if you need to change it or not. Although if you do change, your ride quality will improve greatly as the rubber on your aged tyres is substantially harder than a newer tyres
Old 11th December 2016, 21:27   #116
BHPian

Car: Wagon R VXi
Tyre make / size: Apollo / 155 65 R14 tubeless
4 tyres manufacture code: 3911 (stock tyre)
4 stock tyre running kms - ~28,000 kms
1 tyre manufacture code: 4515 (1 stock tyre replaced last year with same manufacturer & size as it had suffered puncture on side wall)
Usage pattern - 2-3 long drives a year and idle all the time except on sundays for a few kms

Noticed today that one of the stock tyre (3911 manufacture code) had loss of pressure of almost 10 psi in standstill condition within a week of top-up. This tyre already had a puncture fixed and I had suspected leakage from this fixed puncture. On taking to the puncture shop and under closer inspection (inflate the tyre to 50 psi and use some soap solution) there were leakages from very small 2-3 cracks including the one where the puncture was fixed.

The tyre shop mechanic was very sharp in his observation which otherwise an untrained eyes would have definitely missed to spot this leakage from very small cracks. He then checked the tyre manufacture date and said there were 2 choices:
1. since the tyre had only low mileage on them and the treads were still there, he suggested to use a tube inside the tyre (I did not prefer this option)
2. not worth fixing the puncture and said to consider replacing it with a new tyre

Only then I realised that the 4 stock tyres were now 5+ yrs old. Since these were low on mileage I never thought of replacing them anytime soon.

I have a long highway drive coming up shortly, and in a dilemma whether to replace the 4 tyres which still has good treads left in them.
Old 11th December 2016, 22:15   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhandary View Post
Car: Wagon R VXi
Tyre make / size: Apollo / 155 65 R14 tubeless
4 tyres manufacture code: 3911 (stock tyre)
4 stock tyre running kms - ~28,000 kms
1 tyre manufacture code: 4515
What about the 5th tire ?

I would suggest to replace 4 tires and put 4515 tire in the boot as a spare tire.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2016, 22:41   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
What about the 5th tire ?

I would suggest to replace 4 tires and put 4515 tire in the boot as a spare tire.
The fifth tyre is the 4515. All the other 4 are 3911.

Apart from Apollo (current one is Apollo Amazer 3G), in the market there are other brands like Bridgestone B250, Michelin XM2 (most expensive of the lot), MRF, Yokohama Earth 1, Goodyear Eagle F1 and so on. Which of them may be considered?
Old 11th December 2016, 23:04   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhandary View Post
The fifth tyre is the 4515. All the other 4 are 3911.

Apart from Apollo (current one is Apollo Amazer 3G), in the market there are other brands like Bridgestone B250, Michelin XM2 (most expensive of the lot), MRF, Yokohama Earth 1, Goodyear Eagle F1 and so on. Which of them may be considered?
Get Yokohama Earth 1 or Michelin XM2
Both are good tires, you may choose any one based on your budget.
Old 13th December 2016, 16:05   #120
BHPian

Note sure if this is the right thread to post this query.
I am getting a set of tyres which has manufacturing date of 10 month back.

Is it ok to buy these tyres? will it be a compromise in quality?
I am not able to find these tyres easily any where else.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks