Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2010, 20:58   #736
Senior - BHPian

My Fiat 850 Coupe

This was my beloved Fiat 850 Coupe. Had it for a number of years and was refurbished from what is seen in the first pictures.

The car had a rear mounted 4 cylinder as pictured below. It had a vey cool factory header system on it. Miss this car.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-fiat-850.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-fiat-850-2.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-fiat-850-3.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-fiat-850-4.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-fiat-850-5.jpg  

Old 16th January 2010, 21:24   #737
Senior - BHPian

My 1951 Lincoln Sports Sedan

This was my very interesting 1951 Lincoln Sports Sedan. It had a large V8 and an automatic transmission with a torque converter.

The car originally was from Bombay and was brought to Hyderabad in the early seventies by the second owner.

Th original owner had parked the car after only 1500 miles when teh service garage poured the wrong tryp of oil in the auto tranny resulting it to stop working.

The second owner, who happened to be an engineer, brought the car to Hyderabad and ordered a new transmission for teh car from teh ststes. In the time it took to arrive he got impatient, opened upo the original tranny and managed to fix it and bring the car on the road.

He had bought it specially for his father to drive as his father was a paraplegic and it was ideal for him as it had an auto tranny which was rare on cars then.

Unfortunately as his dad died just akter he had the car painted and upholstered. It was then put in storage at the back of their factory in Hyderabad.

A friend subsequently bought the car and subsequently it was given to me against amounts due. He had got the mechanicals sorted and it needed full cosmetiic restoration.

We drove the car as is without stripping out teh interior and the paint for quiet some time. It was an amazingly powerfull car and would leave rubber on the ground when it was floored. The huge car ensured it drank gas and after a drive if you touched the intake manifold it used to be freezing cold !

I had the interior stripped and the paint done but since I was leaving India it was sold to a well know dealer in Hyderabad.

I was later told the car subsequently sold to a collector and moved back to Bombay.

Does anyone know the whereabouts of this car today. It probably is one of the only such cars in India. There was an identical Mercury of the same year in Hyderabad too but it got converted to diesel by the owner.

This shape / model of Lincoln / Mercury was much loved by hot rodders as it featured in the James Dean movie, Rebel without a cause.

A very interesting and great performing car indeed and sorely missed today.

The original paint scheme was greywith a white roof, traces can be seen on the rear wheel spat. We changed teh scheme to dark green and light green roof after seeing an identical combo on a similar car in some car book.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-lincoln.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-lincoln-2.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-lincoln-3.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-lincoln-4.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-lincoln-5.jpg  

Old 17th January 2010, 00:10   #738
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Does anyone know the whereabouts of this car today. It probably is one of the only such cars in India. There was an identical Mercury of the same year in Hyderabad too but it got converted to diesel by the owner.
What a small world. Ive just returned from a long trip to Delhi, and saw this car 3 days back. It is well restored, with a collector who says he got it from Pune. Pics will follow tomorrow.

There is a similar car (at least in bodystyle, badged a Cosmopolitan) with a Lonavala collection, very well restored in black. Had posted pics earlier, will repost tomorrow.
Old 17th January 2010, 13:09   #739
BHPian

Spotted this classic in Marina Beach (Chennai) today morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-vint1.jpg  

Old 17th January 2010, 13:19   #740
BHPian

Chevrolet Vintage - Chennai

Spotted this Chevrolet Vintage in the car park of New Woodlands Restaurant (R.K Salai, Chennai).
Attached Thumbnails
Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-chevrolet-vintage-fr.jpg  

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-chevrolet-vintage-side.jpg  

Old 17th January 2010, 13:29   #741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
What a small world. Ive just returned from a long trip to Delhi, and saw this car 3 days back. It is well restored, with a collector who says he got it from Pune. Pics will follow tomorrow.

There is a similar car (at least in bodystyle, badged a Cosmopolitan) with a Lonavala collection, very well restored in black. Had posted pics earlier, will repost tomorrow.

Does teh car still have the ADY reg on it? What colour was it in, did it still have the whitewalls on it?

Please do post a picture or two of this car, I have very fond memories of it.

This and Rashid Bhai's V12 Lincoln were the only Lincoln cars in Hyderabad in those days.

Ths Cosmopolitan would look similar but there would be some major differences in the body styling amongst other things.

Are there any interesting Lincolns around from teh twenties or thirites, particularly their V12 cars ?
Old 17th January 2010, 13:40   #742
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Does teh car still have the ADY reg on it? What colour was it in, did it still have the whitewalls on it?
Yes, the number is still there, whitewalls are there, deep maroon colour. Shall upload pics today once I transfer them. I'm still catching up on ten days worth of forum after a long trip

In the mean time here are pics of the other car I spoke of. The obvious difference initially is the side windows.

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-lincoln03.jpg

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-lincoln04.jpg

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-lincoln06.jpg

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-lincoln07.jpg
Old 17th January 2010, 14:50   #743
Senior - BHPian

There are many more differences. To start with my car had a two piece windscreen whereas this Cosmopolitan has a single piece screen.

The body styling on the Cosmopolital is slab sided whereas on the Sports Sedan there are protrusions on the sides.

Other aspects down to teh front grille, the dash and rear are almost identical.

Looking forward to your uploading the pictures.
Old 17th January 2010, 15:13   #744
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Spotted this Chevrolet Vintage in the car park of New Woodlands Restaurant (R.K Salai, Chennai).
It belongs to the owners of the hotel. I have always seen it parked there on my stay at woodlands. I think now they have lost the driveway that was once part of the hotel complex.
Old 17th January 2010, 20:10   #745
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There are many more differences. To start with my car had a two piece windscreen whereas this Cosmopolitan has a single piece screen.

The body styling on the Cosmopolital is slab sided whereas on the Sports Sedan there are protrusions on the sides.

Other aspects down to teh front grille, the dash and rear are almost identical.

Looking forward to your uploading the pictures.
Here they are - enjoy

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-001.jpg

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-002.jpg

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-003.jpg

Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India-004.jpg
Old 18th January 2010, 00:33   #746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
Spotted a couple of exotics on road, see it for yourself. Please bear with quality as it is from mobile camera
Most probably these cars were being driven to the Auto Expo at Pragati Maidan, for the vintage & classic car display.
Old 18th January 2010, 09:47   #747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here they are - enjoy

Thanks Karl. Its nice to see the car again and to hear it is completed. I am a bit dissapointed with the choice of colurs. It would have looked really nice in that two tone combo we had given it in Hyderabad.

Do post some more pics of the car. If possible PM me the details on the owner so I can get in touch with them and share old pics and info on the car. The replacment auto tranny that was ordered for the car may still be in Hyderabad and I can pass on leads to where he can get a hold of it.

The only thing missing on this car was the rear Lincoln logo and the radio on the dash.The radio might still be with the family of the original owner in Bombay. He had sold the car to my friends dad and had kept the radio as a momento. The car had 1500 miles on it then and was bought for Rs 1500 !

We had lost the door locking mechanism for all four doors when the garage where they were getting fixed burned down.

There was a set of complete workshop manuals that came with the car, I hope they are still with the car.

Please update on how this car was aquired by the current owner and from where.

I had sold it to Asif Ali khan, a well known car dealer in Hyderabad and he mentioned he had sold it ot someone in Bombay.

What is the mileage showing on the car, when we had it it had less than 10,000 miles on the clock.

Please post some more pictures of the car if possible including the engine etc.

Last edited by wasif : 18th January 2010 at 09:51.
Old 24th January 2010, 19:09   #748
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A few pics of some cars undergoing restoration at a friends garage. A Dodge Sedan, a Opel Olympia, a Cadillac Sedan and a WW2 Jeep.
This Opel was APV regd, with a yellow original urdu plate too? If so, it is now in a Pune collection. Neat car.
Old 24th January 2010, 19:14   #749
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Spotted at worli seaface
If I remember right this Alvis is owned by an elderly Parsi in South Bombay - seems to have been recently painted.
Old 24th January 2010, 20:21   #750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This Opel was APV regd, with a yellow original urdu plate too? If so, it is now in a Pune collection. Neat car.
Yes this is the very same car. That Urdu plate is a cosmetic addition and not the original that would have been on that car

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks