Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2007, 16:53   #271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Hey, i van see a merc convertible in the background, any pix of that?? and of the other cars in the yard. Are These owned by the same person or is i a garage??

@Karl are ppl actually taking lambys abroad?? They Are quite like junk here, gets sold by the kilo(ie scrap value)!!!
Re the merc in the back ground see this linky
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/541725-post107.html
Old 23rd August 2007, 20:39   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
amatmo we did not take many pictures of the cadillac i think only one or two pictures
okay guys never mind.thanks for posting the chrysler(you know i love american car you see that why i asked you to post them )

seeing the chrysler was more important as i had never seen that car before
never mind the caddy

chryslers and Lincolns are my first interests

guys i'll just deviate from your topic now

i have seen a lot of Packards i have even seen th red CORD Sportsman owned by pranlal bhogilal but i am not aware of any Deusenburg all the deusenburgs owned by maharajas are not in india anymore... and i dont remember seeing one in any of the rallies
but since my knowledge is limited would like to know from you guys
speedy ,v 16,karlosdeville,iraghava anybody ..are you aware of any Deusenburgs??

Last edited by AMATMO : 23rd August 2007 at 20:52.
Old 23rd August 2007, 21:03   #273
BHPian

Finally, someone did ask about the Deusenburgs. Well does anybody have any info on them, it will be worth reading...
Old 23rd August 2007, 21:10   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMATMO View Post

guys i'll just deviate from your topic now

i have seen a lot of Packards i have even seen th red CORD Sportsman owned by pranlal bhogilal but i am not aware of any Deusenburg all the deusenburgs owned by maharajas are not in india anymore... and i dont remember seeing one in any of the rallies
but since my knowledge is limited would like to know from you guys
speedy ,v 16,karlosdeville,iraghava anybody ..are you aware of any Deusenburgs??
the cord was restored at my place and i have driven it plenty.
i think there is one deusenburg being there. i cannot confirm on this i was told so. it belongs to a business man who keeps shifting his cars in and out of the country.
most of the maharaja's had their fasination towards the rolls royce, bentley, packards, cadillacs,jaguars and buicks. these were most commonly called for cars. guys if i have missed out on a few names please fill in. not heard of a deusenburg being in the royal stables.
Old 23rd August 2007, 21:14   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
S
Ishan, in the Frontal pic of the Chrysler New Yorker, I can see a jeep in the back ground which is different from the one you have posted. Please can i have pics and details of both please and also details about the chopped 110/111( i believe it is a 111 from what i can see) merc in the fore ground of the pic where the Chrysler's rear door is open...phew!!
Gogi bhai, this guy had 5 Jeeps with him at this time. 2 in good condition & 3 in not, out of the 2, 1 is the owner's & RHD & the other one is the one in the picture I posted for you. As for the details I believe Speedy is already on the case for you, during our visit I told him atleast 3 times "Isse baat karle, Gogi ko ek Jeep chahiye, urgent!"

And Merc pics are already posted, more pictures (there are over 250 pics!!) to come tonight, but don't expect all of them!
Old 23rd August 2007, 21:21   #276
Senior - BHPian

going there tom ishan. as you said am already on the case for gogi bhai. some new cars for me too . please do make a cd for me with the pictures. thanks
Old 23rd August 2007, 22:15   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the cord was restored at my place and i have driven it plenty.
i think there is one deusenburg being there. i cannot confirm on this i was told so. it belongs to a business man who keeps shifting his cars in and out of the country.
most of the maharaja's had their fasination towards the rolls royce, bentley, packards, cadillacs,jaguars and buicks. these were most commonly called for cars. guys if i have missed out on a few names please fill in. not heard of a deusenburg being in the royal stables.

as a matter of fact there were a lot of deusenburgs in india which now reside in car museums around the world..i think there are one or two in germany

the cars you forgot to mention are Riley ,Auburn,Delage,Lagonda(few in number),sunbeam and pierce arrow

i believe there is only one bugatti in the whole country owned by the servent of some maharaja... car is disintegrating
Old 23rd August 2007, 22:18   #278
BHPian

Quote:
i am not aware of any Deusenburg all the deusenburgs owned by maharajas are not in india anymore... and i dont remember seeing one in any of the rallies
Quote:
Originally Posted by egangsta View Post
Finally, someone did ask about the Deusenburgs. Well does anybody have any info on them, it will be worth reading...
Came across this article on the net. Thought I should share it though this car is no longer in India. Its called the Maharaja Duesenberg owned by the Maharaja of Indore.

It had custom coach work by Gurney Nutting LTD of Croydon, England and the design was credited to A.F. McNiel. In truth it was a junior designer at McNiel's by the name of John Blatchley who designed this beautiful car. As is so often the case in design studios, the boss gets the credit and underling who did the work is lost in obscurity. (According to Larry Nicklin this axiom also holds true for talented clay modeler Vince Gardner not getting credit for designing the 810-812 Cord and the second generation Auburn Boattial Speedster,as chief ACD designer Gordon Buehrig got the credit for Vince's work.)
It was a monster of a car with 153.5-inch wheelbase, the longer of the two standard chassis built for Duesenbergs. After the chassis was built it was shipped to England where the coachwork was crafted. Then the car appeared in the London Motor Show where it received raves as "An amazing Colossal Car" before it was shipped to the USA. It was driven from NY to Auburn, Indiana for the ACD engineers to check everything out. Then it was driven it to the West Coast where it was shipped to India.
The owner was a 28 year old Indian Prince, Maharajadhiraj Raj Rajeshwar Sawai Shree Yashwant Rad Holkar Bahadur of India. He had an square estate that was 100 miles on each side. When he would drive it the little red light on the fender would be illuminated and the people would lay prostrate at the side of the road as he passed. When his wife the Maharani would drive it, the green light would be on and they would politely stand by the side of the road and wave. The prayer rug on the floor of the car was rumored to be worth more than the car. The car was advertised FOR SALE in the NEW YORK TIMES in 1956 and sold for $6,000 to a man in Morristown, NJ. When the car came out of the jungle in India to be shipped it was cradled in a sling between four elephants.

Old 23rd August 2007, 22:34   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
as a matter of fact there were a lot of deusenburgs in india which now reside in car museums around the world..i think there are one or two in germany

the cars you forgot to mention are Riley ,Auburn,Delage,Lagonda(few in number),sunbeam and pierce arrow

i believe there is only one bugatti in the whole country owned by the servent of some maharaja... car is disintegrating
amatmo you asked if there are deusenburgs in india. if you want to count cars belonging to maharaja's then the list is endless. my brother has records of most of the maharaja cars with pictures. the cars of the maharaja's that got exported and reside in museums all over the world do not count as cars in india do they. there was a rolls royce swan body made for a maharaja and is now in a museum abroad.
there are four buggati's in the country. i do not know of the servant of the maharaja's buggati. never heard this one before.
Old 24th August 2007, 00:03   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Ah, now for the hardcore stuff!

Ive been tracing Maharajas exotics all my life, and always wanted to document them in a book, but Manvender Singh of Barwani beat me to it. His book on cars of the Maharajas is terrific, great details, and fabulous rare pictures. Its a must read.

Regarding Duesenbergs, there were 2 confirmed cars at one point, the most famous being the Holkar car. This was the last Deusey ever sold, an SSJ version with Gurney Nutting bodywork. CUW 109 rests in the states today, I think with the Blackhawk or Nethercutt collection.

Holkar cars were distinguished by their Red and Blue fender lights for when the Raja or Ranee was driving, as visible on this Lagonda. They also had a few Bentleys till recently, with similar coachwork by Gurney Nutting.

Old 24th August 2007, 00:11   #281
Senior - BHPian

i apologise for a little mistake in the information,you see there is no proof of this man being the maharaja's servent(i guessed it) i am sorry
i got this information from net

warning the content might be saddening

thought i 'll share it Transformed Bugatti in India
This skimpy device is believed to be a 1923 Bugatti Type 23. Current owner Soilen Banerjee from Jodhpur was bequeathed the car by his father who in turn received it from his father who had been gifted the car by the Royal family of Indore. According to Banerjee, an unusual engine swap happened inthe 1930s, the frail original being replaced with a Desoto 'six'. "It was quite a fast car," recalled Banerjee, "and used very little fuel." The Bugatti had no front brakes so must have Does Banerjee's odd-looking T23 have royal connections? been a handful and the radiator was replaced, though the Bugatti badge was carefully riveted to it to retain brand identity. Richard Day, archivist of the Bugatti Trust at Prescott assessed the car: "The car looks like a Bugatti Type 23 with two-seater bodywork by Jarvis. The London agents were Jarrott & Letts which listed this version. The windscreen, bodyline and mudguards look quite similar. The front axle and front of the chassis look original but with several non-standard additions and some omissions such as the curved front crossmember. It would seem that another radiator has been fitted ahead of the correct position and I think the original scuttle must have been cut back to fit the foreign bonnet. Assuming the chassis frame, gearbox, axles, steering and coachwork to the rear of the bonnet are basically original, it looks to be a very nice example. It would be greatly improved if the spurious headlights, radiator, engine and bonnet were removed."
Banerjee reported that despite all the many offers he received over the years, the car is not for sale. And never will be because it's a family heirloom. While it waits to be passed down to the next generation, there's no word on when it will be restored -just that it will be. Although much modified, there appear to be many traces of original Bugatti in remarkably good condition.
Source: Classic & Sportscar, February 2004

Last edited by AMATMO : 24th August 2007 at 00:15.
Old 24th August 2007, 00:12   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
there was a rolls royce swan body made for a maharaja and is now in a museum abroad.
The swan car was ex Nabha State. The car is not based on a Rolls, but on a scottish car called the Brooks in 1911. It was ordered by an eccentric englishman in Calcutta. The car featured Plaster of Paris feathers, 24karat gold livery, god knows how many musical horns, the eyes of the swan lit up red at night and steam spewed out of the beak. It even plopped white sludge every now and then for a realistic effect! The police quickly banned the car from Calcuttas streets as it scared the public too much (!) and it then went to the Nabha Garages. The swan car, along with a miniature, a silver ghost, and a silver cloud was smuggled out of India in 91 for a cost of 1 crore total by a Dutch antiques dealer. It now resides in the Loumann collection in Amsterdam. My father clicked these photos last year. (I made him take a 150 mile detour on one of his busness trips to get me these photos!)

Old 24th August 2007, 00:15   #283
Distinguished - BHPian

And yes, I was about to come to the Bugatti above. It was featured in an Indian auto mag as well. Very sad actually, as the car is worthless without its original engine, and moreso in this condition.

Vijay Mallya has the only other documented Bugatti in India, though my father swears that he has seen JRD driving a small racing Bugatti.
Old 24th August 2007, 00:19   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
amatmo you asked if there are deusenburgs in india. if you want to count cars belonging to maharaja's then the list is endless. my brother has records of most of the maharaja cars with pictures. the cars of the maharaja's that got exported and reside in museums all over the world do not count as cars in india do they. there was a rolls royce swan body made for a maharaja and is now in a museum abroad.
there are four buggati's in the country. i do not know of the servant of the maharaja's buggati. never heard this one before.

true true but what i was asking you is that out of so many that left our country,is there atleast one remaining here..that our eyes can feast on.
Old 24th August 2007, 00:26   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
And yes, I was about to come to the Bugatti above. It was featured in an Indian auto mag as well. Very sad actually, as the car is worthless without its original engine, and moreso in this condition.

Vijay Mallya has the only other documented Bugatti in India, though my father swears that he has seen JRD driving a small racing Bugatti.
the holkars of indore still have three to four cars with them. one if i am not wrong is a gold plated rolls the handles were or precious stones. over the years the doors have been stripped off the gold and precious stones removed.
the bugatti saddens me imensely. but i guess they did not know the value of the car and swapped engines. man imagine they had even removed the logo from the grill..
when i said four bugatti's one belonged to Mr JRD(wonder where that went though) my father use to have pictures of him driveing the car at marine drive. Mr Mallya has two bugatti's and another one you shall soon be seeing.

amatmo the car is in a private collection and does not leave the garage. it is driven in his private property or kept more like show.

Last edited by speedy : 24th August 2007 at 00:28. Reason: information missing

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks