Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2011, 20:27   #3016
BHPian

re: Classic Cars available for purchase

Hi Sonu,

Hope you are well. Long time. How is your project going on,
This Mercedes is a very good clean car. Do you have any more info about this car of have you seen it personally.
Old 19th May 2011, 10:17   #3017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Arre no sorry required sir.

Re the Mercedes, i think this is the Ex Shammi Kapoor vehicle and used to be Black. It was mint even when he owned it and the car looks really clean from the outside even now. The asking price seems improper.
Gogi Paji: The best part about TBHP is that we can look at senior members as elder bros who will always show the us right path.
My mamaji had this devil long long ago. It use to be a dark blue colored one. Though I never drove this car but her presence in front of our house in Chandigarh duly use to arose the interests of passerbys/onlookers. It surely was treat to eyes in the days of tin boxes. Then he had a major accident & dumped her in the backyard of our house. Some labelled her jinxed & so it stayed there till one fine day my mom decided to get rid of her "Lohe key Bhaav"

Merc: Yeah the cost again is way above cloud seven.
May be the seller is looking at Shammi Kapor premium. "Bhai saab yeh Shammi Kapoor ki gaddi hai, Karisma & Kareena Kappor ney issi mey tou driving seekhee hai"

Allana: Fiat project NOT yet started. You'll be surprised to know that she is my (almost) daily drive these days. As the Mc people say "I'm loving it".

Raab Rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 19th May 2011 at 10:21.
Old 19th May 2011, 15:36   #3018
Senior - BHPian

LOL! Well i might be Mistaken but that registration number does ring a bell. It was definitely Black back then. He used to drive it himself. I had a friend living in the building next to him so i used to see him passing by many a times in his shiny black steed. I dont know if the fogs are original but even back then there were two fogs, mounted around the same area. I also remember Shashi Kapoor driving in his Mint White MRF registered W115. I think that one was a Petrol. Then Vinod Khanna had a LHD White W115, a MMB registered, 220 petrol which was automatic. Even Sanjeev Kumar had a White Wii5 it was MHM or carried a similar series registration. Was a 200 or a 220 D. Back then it was the car of the starts and rich, after the Impala era was over.
Old 19th May 2011, 18:02   #3019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LOL! Well i might be Mistaken but that registration number does ring a bell. It was definitely Black back then. He used to drive it himself. I had a friend living in the building next to him so i used to see him passing by many a times in his shiny black steed. I dont know if the fogs are original but even back then there were two fogs, mounted around the same area. I also remember Shashi Kapoor driving in his Mint White MRF registered W115. I think that one was a Petrol. Then Vinod Khanna had a LHD White W115, a MMB registered, 220 petrol which was automatic. Even Sanjeev Kumar had a White Wii5 it was MHM or carried a similar series registration. Was a 200 or a 220 D. Back then it was the car of the starts and rich, after the Impala era was over.
Do you remember Mr Shettys garage at Shivaji Park, right next to where the Coffee day stands today? all these cars came there for repair and Service. Shammi Kapoor would come there personally with the white W115. I still remember. In those days we had a White 200 (W110) which also went there for repair.

I think film star cars would command premiums in the near future! Just look at the west :-)

Last edited by the mole : 19th May 2011 at 18:04.
Old 19th May 2011, 20:19   #3020
Senior - BHPian

There is a Mercedes ponton 220S for sale in Kerala.
I dont have much details about the car other than the owners contact address.
So if someone is interested I can provide that
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 21:09   #3021
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ajay please let me know. You may PM me the details. Thanks
Old 19th May 2011, 22:20   #3022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
I think film star cars would command premiums in the near future! Just look at the west :-)

Don't give the seller ideas! He's already on the forum classifieds, and his price is 25K more than his previous ad!
Old 19th May 2011, 22:34   #3023
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thats a lot of information about the cars of the yesteryears stars.I have also posted an article that appeared in a magazine in the early 1970's in the thread "Media matter on vintage and classic cars".
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...s-scan0031.jpg
It would also be appropriate if we can start a new thread with all the information and pictures about star cars of yesteryears.
I am going OFF TOPIC but can also state in reply to Gogibhai's post that after the post Impala flood of Mercs (even Meena Kumari owned a fintail Merc)in the industry, Raj Kapoor and Dev Anand switched over unbelievably to a white Ambassador Mark 4 (registration no.MAM 344) and a Premier Padmini respectively. Raj Kapoor was silent on the issue, but said that he had switched over to the Amby as cars were according to him no longer a status symbol in the industry, as even starlets were buying Mercs. Dev Anand used to do most of the driving himself and would say that he can go off in a crowd as a commoner in his Premier whereas any upmarket car may have swarms of fans mobbing him.While contesting the Allahabad elections in 1984, Amitabh Bachchan brought an Ambassador keeping his all other cars away. When journalists asked "why an Ambassador Amitabhji?" he simply replied "Ambassador is a good car."Who knew that the megastar will quit politics soon and have a fleet of Mercs, a Bentley and a Rolls Phantom in his garage 25 years later!
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2011, 12:11   #3024

hi Ajay

i am interested in mercedese ponton 220s, please let me know. thanks
Old 20th May 2011, 16:00   #3025
Senior - BHPian

Anjan dada, there already exists such a thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...bollywood+cars

There is alos one re South Indian Stars and their cars and one about Cars in Bollywood movies.
Old 20th May 2011, 16:13   #3026
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Don't give the seller ideas! He's already on the forum classifieds, and his price is 25K more than his previous ad!
JayD Sir, When you open the page of this particulr car on Classified the best part is look to go at bottom & see another Blue W115 from Kolkata selling at one fourth the cost. In fact its 1968. Only thing I didn't like in that car is Dark red interiors & XPLOD sticker on steering.
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...des-W115.html/

Its mentioned as car of a vintage enthusiast so possibly be having original heart & hopefully the soul.

Raab Rakha.

Last edited by ariesonu : 20th May 2011 at 16:18.
Old 20th May 2011, 17:04   #3027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
There is a Mercedes ponton 220S for sale in Kerala.
I dont have much details about the car other than the owners contact address.
So if someone is interested I can provide that
Hi Can you pass me the details too please if its a diesel

Thanks
Old 20th May 2011, 17:23   #3028
BANNED

My advice to potential first time vintage/classic car buyers - stay away from diesels until you have figured out the parts/cost of ownership scene for vintage/classic cars.
Old 20th May 2011, 19:54   #3029
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Anjan dada, there already exists such a thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...bollywood+cars

There is alos one re South Indian Stars and their cars and one about Cars in Bollywood movies.
Yes Gogibhai, I know about that, but that mostly discusses the cars of today's stars.And these guys and gals change their cars every maybe 12 months or even earlier.There are exceptions however.
What I actually meant was a thread of the cars owned by stars of yesteryears in the Vintage and Classic Section where you too have a first hand knowledge about many of them..
Old 21st May 2011, 02:18   #3030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Do you remember Mr Shettys garage at Shivaji Park, right next to where the Coffee day stands today? all these cars came there for repair and Service. Shammi Kapoor would come there personally with the white W115. I still remember. In those days we had a White 200 (W110) which also went there for repair.
Absolutely remember him setting the carbs of these fintails and Heckflosses. He is have supposed to pass away a few years ago and sadly, the garage no longer exists there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
JayD Sir, When you open the page of this particulr car on Classified the best part is look to go at bottom & see another Blue W115 from Kolkata selling at one fourth the cost. In fact its 1968. Only thing I didn't like in that car is Dark red interiors & XPLOD sticker on steering.
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...des-W115.html/

Its mentioned as car of a vintage enthusiast so possibly be having original heart & hopefully the soul.

Raab Rakha.
Sonu see the car carefully. The interiors are original. Most of these came with Red interiors like this one. Probably the Powder blue colour is not what the car came with. It could be originally white or even black or red. The Diesel looks like an after fittment much like the gear boot and this is looking at the way and place the Glow plug is fixed in the Meter console. Also the start stop pull-push lever is not original. Worse is the meter (amps?) which is plonked in place of the watch. I would give this car only on originality a poor 2 out of 10. Some trims are also missing.

I also saw Ex Shammi Kapoor's Merc closely. Looks like its lost most of its show pattis and even the rear chrome garnishes on the C pillar. Sorry could not see in the earlier pic posted and was not aware its on the forum classifieds. The asking price though may seem ridiculous, one would expect nothing short of a mint showroom condition car. This it is not.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks