Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2011, 23:15   #3076
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Classic Cars available for purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Today I found this car lying with one of the garages, they said this car has been brought from a scrap yard and is for sale, this is what is left as a car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
I had seen this car few months back at Hyderabad, i think even Stanher has posted pics of this car.
Quote:
That's another car Pavan which I discovered and Stanher also posted the pics, that was all rotten. This one is a new entry,
don't know what went wrong she lost her two doors, engine, rims, seat and many more. Thought of getting it done like a buggy but not daring to do it because documents are also a concern.
Bala, this car has tell-tale signs to indicate that it is indeed the very SAME car that we both know (lying at the garage opp. the Ashtalakshmi Temple @ DSNR main road!!)

Here are my pics. to compare:

Classic Cars available for purchase-img_6291.jpg

Classic Cars available for purchase-img_6292.jpg

Classic Cars available for purchase-img_6294.jpg

Classic Cars available for purchase-img_6295.jpg

PS: I dont know if this car can be salvaged or modified or whatever- I'm for the Herald rims if they are still salvageable!!
Old 6th July 2011, 23:41   #3077
Senior - BHPian

It makes me to think the same after comparing, I'm confused. Now confirm one thing are those rims which I posted of a Herald and if so then we can confirm it's the same car, however I pass by that same garage almost everyday I will check out!
Old 7th July 2011, 11:30   #3078
BHPian

Quote:
It makes me to think the same after comparing, I'm confused. Now confirm one thing are those rims which I posted of a Herald and if so then we can confirm it's the same car, however I pass by that same garage almost everyday I will check out!

Bala Bhai,

Looks its the same car.
Old 8th July 2011, 10:29   #3079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
which diesel engine is it? the actual Hino that VFJ used or something else. is the 4x4 intact.??

Thanks
This doesn't look like the one that was made for civilians in limited numbers by VFJ..the one with the Hino diesel motor.

It is surprising that the windscreen has 3 air slits (JDM spec) as opposed to 2.

It's gone through some horrid body work jobs though.. see the side air vents all welded up!!

But would be a good buy if it still has the hino motor + 4x4 intact.

Cheers..
Prasad

Last edited by R32_GTR : 8th July 2011 at 10:33.
Old 12th July 2011, 15:05   #3080
BHPian

Not sure if this was posted earlier.

Cars: Impalas
Makes: 64 & 78

Sources: Impala 64 & Impala 78
Old 14th July 2011, 17:29   #3081
BANNED

Today i got some photos of a Beetle on sale, this is from a known dealer.

Though i could see its not a very original car, its a late 70's car, sports a 1200cc engine, low torque gearbox.

With lot of mix and match.

1) IRVM not original
2) Meter not for this year model.
3) Seats are from a Matiz
4) Steering is a VW but certainly not from a Beetle.
5) Dash Switches are not oroginal
6) Intake manifold buggered up
7) A, B, C pedal back frame missing, with wrong accelerator pedal.
8) Painted chrome indicators and headlight rims,
9) Painted bumpers.
10) Locally made air filter

Too many short comings and not to my personal liking anyways.

But, What excited me was the price, Quoted at Rs. 3.50 lacs.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Cars available for purchase-dscn2422.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-dscn2424.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-dscn2425.jpg  

Classic Cars available for purchase-dscn2426.jpg  

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 14th July 2011 at 17:36.
Old 14th July 2011, 18:24   #3082
BHPian

Quote:
Today i got some photos of a Beetle on sale, this is from a known dealer.
Well, if I'm not mistaken it's already sold! :-) I had informed a friend that this vehicle is for sale and he picked it up last week. He intends to transport it to Bangalore soon.

Last edited by ajmat : 16th July 2011 at 13:14. Reason: The new owner asked that we delete the company name
thebulletboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 19:32   #3083
BHPian

I would lay my bet on this being an early 70s beetle and would disagree on a few points in your list

Quote:
2) Meter not for this year model.
This kind of meter (with integrated fuel gauge and the white inner circle and without 1/10ths of a mile marked) were used in the early 70s. I have a similar speedo with a date of manufacture marked as 12/73.

Quote:
4) Steering is a VW but certainly not from a Beetle.
The wheel is definitely a Beetle Steering Wheel. To be specific, this kind of steering wheel came only on Standard 1200cc Beetles produced between 1968 and mid 70s. The standard Beetles were at the bottom of the model lineup. They were the most economically priced and had a much higher fuel efficiency (since they were only powered by the 40hp 1200cc D-series engine)

You are right that it looks like a VW Bus steering wheel. In fact both the Bus steering wheel and the Standard Beetle wheel share the same horn button and do not have a horn ring. However, if you look closely, you will see that the spokes of the Standard Beetle wheel are slightly thinner and the number of teeth on the inside of the wheel are different. I have both steering wheels at home and have counted the teeth :-)

Basically, because of the difference in the number of teeth, it is impossible to fit the VW Bus steering wheel on the Beetle steering column, unless you have some kind of adapter.

Since I own a 1968 VW Standard 1200cc Beetle I have researched the difference between the Standards and the Delux beetles extensively. Some of them are :

1. Std Beetle did not have the chrome trim on the windshield rubber.
2. Std beetle had a different steering wheel
3. Std beetle had only 1 sun visor
4. Std Beetle did not have the switch at the door column that operates the courtesy light when the door is opened.
5. Std Beetle was only available in 1200cc
6. Std Beetle had a transmission without the reverse lamp switch. So to fit a reverse lamp, one would have to use a Hella Tachowellenschalter
7. Std Beetle had a dash mounted ignition switch rather than the column mounted switch on the Delux. The hole for the column mounted switch was blocked off with a rubber grommet.
8. Std Beetles continued to use the earlier oval shaped tail lamps (that were used from 1961-67). Though I think at some stage they were upgraded to the Elephant Foot lamps. Not sure about this last point though).

Quote:
But, What excited me was the price, Quoted at Rs. 3.50 lacs.
Yes, it was a pretty good price! With just a little further investment, I think she can be brought back to a much higher degree of originality.
Old 14th July 2011, 19:37   #3084
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulletboy View Post
Well, if I'm not mistaken it's already sold! :-) I had informed a friend that this vehicle is for sale and he picked it up last week. He intends to transport it to Bangalore soon.

I got it

He never revealed the exact details about this car, until i inquired through a common friend, he has lots of plans for this car, a 1708cc engine and all, but if i am not wrong, this Gearbox can never take that engine, correct....?

Good to know one more Beetle came into town. But on the other Note, its nice to know that the prices for Beetles are stabilized, no more of those INSANE prices that were doing rounds.

I've spoken to him, maybe he would allow me a chance to have a peek at this Bug..

Last edited by ajmat : 16th July 2011 at 13:14. Reason: The new owner asked that we delete the company name
Old 14th July 2011, 19:51   #3085
BHPian

Quote:
I got it

He never revealed this until i inquired through a common friend, he has lots of plans for this car, a 1708cc engine and all, but if i am not wrong, this Gearbox can never take that engine, correct....?
Well, even though the 1968 and up Std Beetles were only powered by the 1200cc engine, the transmission was upraded to accept the 200mm flywheel (since electricals were also upgraded to 12V).

So a larger size engine *should* fit.

However, I don't think it would be a great idea since as per some manuals I have, the 1200cc gearbox has different gear ratios compared to other transmissions. This could affect the ride quality of the vehicle, I guess.
Old 14th July 2011, 20:44   #3086
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would lay my bet on this being an early 70s beetle and would disagree on a few points in your list

This kind of meter (with integrated fuel gauge and the white inner circle and without 1/10ths of a mile marked) were used in the early 70s. I have a similar speedo with a date of manufacture marked as 12/73.

The wheel is definitely a Beetle Steering Wheel. To be specific, this kind of steering wheel came only on Standard 1200cc Beetles produced between 1968 and mid 70s. The standard Beetles were at the bottom of the model lineup. They were the most economically priced and had a much higher fuel efficiency (since they were only powered by the 40hp 1200cc D-series engine)

You are right that it looks like a VW Bus steering wheel. In fact both the Bus steering wheel and the Standard Beetle wheel share the same horn button and do not have a horn ring. However, if you look closely, you will see that the spokes of the Standard Beetle wheel are slightly thinner and the number of teeth on the inside of the wheel are different. I have both steering wheels at home and have counted the teeth :-)

Basically, because of the difference in the number of teeth, it is impossible to fit the VW Bus steering wheel on the Beetle steering column, unless you have some kind of adapter.

Since I own a 1968 VW Standard 1200cc Beetle I have researched the difference between the Standards and the Delux beetles extensively. Some of them are :

1. Std Beetle did not have the chrome trim on the windshield rubber.
2. Std beetle had a different steering wheel
3. Std beetle had only 1 sun visor
4. Std Beetle did not have the switch at the door column that operates the courtesy light when the door is opened.
5. Std Beetle was only available in 1200cc
6. Std Beetle had a transmission without the reverse lamp switch. So to fit a reverse lamp, one would have to use a Hella Tachowellenschalter
7. Std Beetle had a dash mounted ignition switch rather than the column mounted switch on the Delux. The hole for the column mounted switch was blocked off with a rubber grommet.
8. Std Beetles continued to use the earlier oval shaped tail lamps (that were used from 1961-67). Though I think at some stage they were upgraded to the Elephant Foot lamps. Not sure about this last point though).

Yes, it was a pretty good price! With just a little further investment, I think she can be brought back to a much higher degree of originality.
Quote:
Well, even though the 1968 and up Std Beetles were only powered by the 1200cc engine, the transmission was upraded to accept the 200mm flywheel (since electricals were also upgraded to 12V).

So a larger size engine *should* fit.

However, I don't think it would be a great idea since as per some manuals I have, the 1200cc gearbox has different gear ratios compared to other transmissions. This could affect the ride quality of the vehicle, I guess.
Thanks for mentioning the peculiar features of the 1200 cc model (from 1968 to 1973 ),the DELUXE version was known as 1200 A.If my info is correct this version was available in EURO specs only , not in US specs.
1.It did have the column mounted ignition switch(please refer the VW1200-1300 1500 models owners instruction manual 1968)
2.It did indeed had the red and amber tail lamp assembly like pre67 models till 1973.
3.It continued to have 6volts electricals(not 12volt)
4.It had sunvisor on the driver side alone(as you have already listed)
5.It had no fuel gauge ,but KACO fuel tap assembly.
6.The door grab handles were of different type.
7.It did not have ashtrays on the rear
a few more minor differences are also there
Old 14th July 2011, 21:03   #3087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Thanks for mentioning the peculiar features of the 1200 cc model (from 1968 to 1973 ),the DELUXE version was known as 1200 A.If my info is correct this version was available in EURO specs only , not in US specs.
Yes, it was only EURO spec.

Quote:
1.It did have the column mounted ignition switch(please refer the VW1200-1300 1500 models owners instruction manual 1968)
Oooh.. I've been hunting for the 1200cc 1968 manual for ages! I have manuals for most of the other years but not for the Bug that I own! Do you have a copy? Mind sharing or exchanging? :-)

Quote:
3.It continued to have 6volts electricals(not 12volt)
Are you absolutely certain? I haven't counted the teeth on my flywheel so I'm not certain, but many parts on my bug (starter etc.) are rated 12V. Though it's possible that they could've been swapped if and when she was converted. However, IIRC Muir's book mentioned that the electricals were in fact converted in 1968 for all Beetles. But since he was American, he probably did not even take the 1200cc into account since it was discountinued in America in 1965. Hmmm..

Quote:
6.The door grab handles were of different type.
Thanks for confirming this. Have always wondered if my handles were OE fitment!

Quote:
7.It did not have ashtrays on the rear
Yep. Agree.
Old 15th July 2011, 13:15   #3088
Senior - BHPian

The VW1200 Euro(1968-73) did come with the 180mm Sachs clutch disk and 6 volt electricals.
regarding the Manual my friend did have this manual till last year,but he gave it to somebody from Chennai who had a 68 VW.
If I come across another one I will let you know
another prominent feature of VW1200 was it continued to have the blade bumpers,
another peculiarility it had only one horn bracket that too on the left side.
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 14:35   #3089
BHPian

Quote:
The VW1200 Euro(1968-73) did come with the 180mm Sachs clutch disk and 6 volt electricals. .
Ok. I'll take your word for it, and I'll probably measure the OD of my transmission housing sometime to be absolutely sure.

Quote:
regarding the Manual my friend did have this manual till last year,but he gave it to somebody from Chennai who had a 68 VW.
If I come across another one I will let you know
Thanks! that would help.

Quote:
another peculiarility it had only one horn bracket that too on the left side.
:-) Yep. My Bug has this too.

Just thought of a few more differences :

Std Bug does not have assist straps on the B-pillar
Std Bug headliner stays strictly on the roof. It does not come down over the B-pillar like other models
Std Bug does not have the long chrome trim on the front hood.

Perhaps you can clarify something :

Did the 68 Std Bug come with the earlier dash knobs and window handles or the later style? I'm guessing that since the front quarter window lock was upgraded to the later black plastic style, the dash knobs and window handles would also be of the later variety, to match? Do you remember if the manual specified which is correct?

I have seen 3 Std Bugs from this era and unfortunately none of them have the original dash knobs and window handles (including my Bug) that I can treat as a reference.

Name:  handles.JPG
Views: 2349
Size:  11.1 KB
Old 15th July 2011, 15:37   #3090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok. I'll take your word for it, and I'll probably measure the OD of my transmission housing sometime to be absolutely sure.

Thanks! that would help.

:-) Yep. My Bug has this too.

Just thought of a few more differences :

Std Bug does not have assist straps on the B-pillar
Std Bug headliner stays strictly on the roof. It does not come down over the B-pillar like other models
Std Bug does not have the long chrome trim on the front hood.

Perhaps you can clarify something :

Did the 68 Std Bug come with the earlier dash knobs and window handles or the later style? I'm guessing that since the front quarter window lock was upgraded to the later black plastic style, the dash knobs and window handles would also be of the later variety, to match? Do you remember if the manual specified which is correct?

I have seen 3 Std Bugs from this era and unfortunately none of them have the original dash knobs and window handles (including my Bug) that I can treat as a reference.

Attachment 577263
all the 3 points noted by you are correct
The 68 VW1200 came with the later model dash knobs(black)-one for the headlight and the other for the wiper.
The window cranks were full black plastic and had a metal reinforncement on the inside

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks