Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2007, 02:21   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Hey nice find there Speedy, Never seen a Triumph Herald before... seen a few standards but not a Triumph.
thanks Jay. this is the third triumph i have seen in india. i have seen many on my trips abroad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egangsta View Post
Gogi, Speedy, I dont know if you have seen it but in the early 90's i used to see a TRIUMP standing on Woodhouse Road in Coloba.Havent been to that part of town for years now so no idea what has happened to that car..It was well mantained..Guys anybody from South Mumbai seen this car ??
i remember the car egangsta. i dont think it was a triumph it was a standard herald. dont know what happened to the car but it had dissapeared from its parking spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampro View Post
Speedy, the Triumph Herald looks awesome.How does it perform?
i did not drive her but the car runs without skipping a beat. perfectly tuned engine.
Old 24th September 2007, 02:27   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampro View Post
Warning:
Standard lovers do not read after this. If you are still reading you may have trouble atleast for a week thinking about it.
Well, I warned you. I too feel that I should not be writing this but atleast this would save some Standard somewhere in the country lying uncared.
Now the photos which I received recently.
The car was gone long back to the scrap before I established contact.
I don't think it is restorable stuff but still.....
stampro the car is or should i say was very restorable. only it would take a bit more time and effort.
moral of the story dont waste time trying to establish contact when you get the information. you must do it immidiately.
Old 24th September 2007, 19:55   #78
Jay
BHPian

Some Standards that i have seen...

Old 24th September 2007, 20:20   #79
BHPian

Guys, I saw this 1947 Standard 8 Saloon in a garage. The car has not been moved for more then a year now.The car is in good shape as far as the body is concerned.

Old 24th September 2007, 20:46   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Great to see this thread picking up so well. Eddie, my aunt used to have a similar Flying 8 saloon, BYF 8681. Is it the same regn? Everytime I see one I keep hoping its the same

Whats the story with this car? Do you have any more details?
Old 24th September 2007, 20:56   #81
BHPian

No Karl this car had GDE plates. It belongs to some company thats what the mech told me. Will be meeting the garage owner for more details day after tommorow..
Old 24th September 2007, 20:57   #82
Senior - BHPian

here is one more standard herald that i saw. it is the similar to the other standard but far more original and in better condition

Old 24th September 2007, 21:06   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I saw this 1947 Standard 8 Saloon in a garage. The car has not been moved for more then a year now.The car is in good shape as far as the body is concerned.
great find egangsta. it is one fine car and looks very restorable. i would suggest you find out more about the car from the mechanic at the garage.
hey guys ever since this thread was started there have been many sightings of standard cars. i never came across so many myself or i have been looking more for them
Old 24th September 2007, 21:23   #84
Senior - BHPian

I think this is the same model as the one egangsta posted,but 4door

Old 24th September 2007, 21:39   #85
BHPian

Speedy the car is in good condition,its just that so much scrap has been dumped on it and the paint is faded. In the pic it looks bad but if you look at the car in flesh you will see that its in much better condition, will speak to the garage owner and have moved in the open,atleast will be able to take some better pics..
Old 24th September 2007, 22:00   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Speedy the car is in good condition,its just that so much scrap has been dumped on it and the paint is faded. In the pic it looks bad but if you look at the car in flesh you will see that its in much better condition, will speak to the garage owner and have moved in the open,atleast will be able to take some better pics..
i could make that out egangsta. if you get all the filth off the car i am sure it will look better. it is a great find for sure and you could find out more and what is the deal with the car and the owner.
mechanically and cosmetically you could check the car as well to see that nothing is missing. if the guy is willing to sell you could look into it.
Old 24th September 2007, 22:16   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
here guys some more hope you'll like it.presenting
TRIUMPH HERALD 1200

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! Whats going on here?!!
I'm away for a day & I come back to see the pages in this thread brimming with spotted Standards!! Whooooooaaaaaa!!! :drool: * infinity!

Speedy & farhan, lovely find man! Best non-Indian Herald I've ever seen in India!
Very original, barring of course the lack of rubber bumpers as you mentioned (fitted only to the 1200 onwards UK Heralds) & note that the Hlight dipper switch on the left is a smaller one from a later Indian Herald or a Gazel....but otherwise thius car is nothing less than concours!

Incidentally it brings to me memories of what I think was a similar estate here back in the 80s when I was a small kid (so dont ask if I enquired bout that car! ), it was maroon with a white roof & laid up by a roadside garage that had existed until a few years ago....'dont recall any more details, excpet that the hubcaps were missing.....used to see it whenever my dad took me out in his Gazel & we passed by on that road.....we got transferred out of Hyd. in '87 & a couple of years later when we visited Hyd. I didnt see that car again...if it really were a Triumph estate like this one, pity bout how it ended up!

Stampro, pity bout that pennant! It did look like it was restorable, although as my bawa friend Karl had once said "everything looks better in the photos!"....do you know if any parts from that car are still around, like the hubcaps (are Gazel ones actually) or atleast the steering wheel? I badly wnat a good one, with both the spoke trims intact....

Last edited by Stanher : 24th September 2007 at 22:17.
Old 24th September 2007, 22:29   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Some Standards that i have seen...
Ironically, I happened to be in Bangalore only yesterday.....& didnt come across a single Standard! Of course I didnt get to move about the city much during this trip.....the only classic I spotted was a white & maroon 50s Austin Somerset/Devon (I think) sitting in the front yard of a small bungalow somewhere near Koramangala....it was mysteriously half hidden by a clump of coconut leaves.....ok going OT here!
This Gazel looks like the very last ('77) of the mk2 models going by the lack of side-trims, unless they were taken off...looks like a daily runner...
Incidentally, this car reminds me of another one in the very same colour I'd seen once in Delhi back in 1997....it was moving far ahead of us in the traffic there although it had a low-rider look at the front most likely because it was fitted with Herlad front suspension (smaller forks/shocks/springs)....and yeah, it also goes on to bring me a memory of a 2-door Herald I saw as a kid, again in this colour (but with white roof) in Jodhpur, Rajasthan where we were transferred in '87....and that moment was when I got to know the name 'Herald' (my mum had told me when I wrongly pointed out that car as a Gazel).....pity I dont remember the exact date....funny how I still remember these incidents!
Old 24th September 2007, 22:30   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! Whats going on here?!!
I'm away for a day & I come back to see the pages in this thread brimming with spotted Standards!! Whooooooaaaaaa!!! :drool: * infinity!

Speedy & farhan, lovely find man! Best non-Indian Herald I've ever seen in India!
Very original, barring of course the lack of rubber bumpers as you mentioned (fitted only to the 1200 onwards UK Heralds) & note that the Hlight dipper switch on the left is a smaller one from a later Indian Herald or a Gazel....but otherwise thius car is nothing less than concours!
hey stanher glad you liked the pictures. posted the pictures while you were online. see both the white standards and tell me what is the difference year wise i feel they are the same. i felt the todays car is higher and somewhat bigger.
we did ask the owner for the hlight dipper switch and other things that we had doubts about and he said he gets all the stuff when he goes abroad for his business trips. the switch is original and has not been changed at all. the only thing wrong like i mentioned and so did the owner is the rubber bumpers, that he was not able to locate and get made. so the next time he goes for one of his business trips he would get it.
Old 24th September 2007, 22:37   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
here is one more standard herald that i saw. it is the similar to the other standard but far more original and in better condition

Wow, speedy, how come your coming across mostly '62 Heralds lately?? This is the 2nd one you've spotted!
I wonder if this is a sign from God.....keep your fingers crossed!
This car indeed is way much better than the other '62 you photo'd.......excpet for the front bumper, which is from a post '62 Herald as evident from the recess for the no. plate & opening at the centre (compare with the one on the first car which has the original bumper).....& I think the left door handle also is from a later model ('62 Heralds had locking handles on both doors) but cant make out in the pic...
But yes, this is what the original dashboard of a '62 Herald should look like.....how I wish the one on my car was as good!!
So got any details on this one?? If for sale, I may have someone who's interested.....eg. yours truly (if I can afford it!)

Last edited by Stanher : 24th September 2007 at 22:42.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks