Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2007, 13:35   #166
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Shyam - please let me know the condition of the car (after the film shooting - if it lands up like the Pune car, then too bad) and the papers. I don't mind coming to Hyderabad because there is this LHD Fiat also there. Do revert on my mobile please.

Dear Abhishek - I understand your view on the papers but it is best to explore normal channels first. It is always better that things are in order. Let's see how it goes. Want to catch up with you one of these days.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 7th November 2007, 14:36   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Abhishek - I understand your view on the papers but it is best to explore normal channels first. It is always better that things are in order. Let's see how it goes. Want to catch up with you one of these days.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Behram uncle i do understand and would love to see the papers fall into place via the normal channels. these are options that can be considered if nothing falls into place. all i was and am trying to say is that the papers do not create a dead end for a car, they can be managed too. have seen many a good cars rotting away due to lack of papers.
i would love to meet you and looking forward to it. as soon as i am in bombay and as and when you are free.
Old 8th November 2007, 00:10   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok guys, good news is that the pennant is back from the shooting ('was told its for a telugu film, would be curious if not excited (I rarely am bout new films!) to see it after release, atleast the scenes with the cars in it!).......luckily no severe damage (unlike all those fiats that came back with caved-in roofs/bonnets!) to the car, only the front bumper is bent & twisted a bit upwards.....plus car is covered in lotta red mud, as were the fiats.....the numberplates have strangely been blanked out though, reminded me of good ol' team-bhp .....but I could heave a sigh of relief that this car is still intact!
Also thanks to Karlos bhai (sorry for havin disturbed you then!) who told me how to open the bonnet I & my mech. could finally take a peek under the hood......everything seems intact, got a pair of jalwa horns too! He checked the oil & said the engine is ok.....not too good, not too bad.......would need things like new rings etc. at a later stage. 'hope to start it up once & see what it sounds like tomorrow...

And it also turns out he has found out bout the papers being available.....but I think they are just xerox copies of the RC.....but it'd still do! Provided the owner also gives a letter on bond-paper explaining it.
Now the bad news is he wants a further 2k for getting the papers (he did state that he would ask more if the papers were found) as he said he got the car through a delaer in the first place & so has to co-ordinate with him again & that guy would demand his pound of flesh etc. etc.......!! He's also still adamant on the price of the car but I can say that he'd come down by 1-1.5k if we are firm on that.

Behram uncle- I did call you once today......but got no response then.....also I'm not sure if you called me back either as my mobile's been malfunctioning lately....keeps going off on its own, even sometimes if I start typing an SMS or looking for a contact!
Will try & revert tomorrow.

Come to think of it this car is better than I first thought- the body panels/doors dont have any signs of being eaten thrugh, only the front right floorboard would need patchwork, no badly warped, misaligned panels....just a couple of dents on the rear wings....also the door handles/locks all seem to work, all the glasses roll up & down with ease for a car that seems rather roughly used! I couldnt open the boot though as its missing one handle. 'wonder if it has a spare tyre....
Old 8th November 2007, 02:20   #169
Senior - BHPian

hey stanher that is great news. what a relief that the car after returning from shooting and seeing the conditions that the fiat were in and the pictures posted by Karl on the pennant that went for shooting. the mind gets a thousand thoughts. i am glad that there was only little damage and that too only the bumpers.
the engine being fine and maybe not in the best of health but atleast useable. this is also another relief. you do expect the worst and even a small thing brings great pleasure. the rings and other things can be done atleast it is not a dead engine.
the xerox copy is also a good thing atleast it is better than not haveing papers at all. why do you need a letter from the owner after you have the xerox copy of the RC ? a further 2 grand for the papers ?? i think it is too much that means the car price goes to 20 k. if he has mentioned it earlier then i dont think it should be a problem atleast he was honest and not throwing additional costs on his wims and fancies. if bargained he would come down on the car price but not on the papper price. the dealer would take his pound none the less. he is not going to be concerned with the scrapper. i hope something good happens to the car, otherwise Karl would have to come down for the spares for his car.
Old 8th November 2007, 07:40   #170
BHPian

Was moving my herald from one garage to another yesterday..my driver driving it and me riding shotgun..it was by far one of the most exiting rides i have had in a while..

People on the road just stare and smile!! (in a good way that is!!)

I had a lady ask if it was for a film shooting. (so we have a movie star)

A 30 something professional asking me if i wanted to sell.

3 girls in a swift smiling away and staying along for almost 20 minutes (could have been me)

and a bunch of 20 something boys in a modded lancer feeling cool BUTTT intimidated by a 45 year old sports saloon...

I can't wait for her to be ready..

here's some eye-candy for you'll..

cheers..

Prasad.

Last edited by R32_GTR : 8th November 2007 at 07:42.
Old 8th November 2007, 08:39   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
the xerox copy is also a good thing atleast it is better than not haveing papers at all. why do you need a letter from the owner after you have the xerox copy of the RC ?
Well, I just thought of that as a precaution from my side as you wouldnt know the RTO might get suspicious even bout a xerox inplace of the original....! So let the owner himself state that he misplaced the original therefore can give only a xerox that he had....

Quote:
a further 2 grand for the papers ?? i think it is too much that means the car price goes to 20 k. if he has mentioned it earlier then i dont think it should be a problem atleast he was honest and not throwing additional costs on his wims and fancies.
Yes he did tell us ki paper-aan agar mile to uske aur paise lagte......
I think I can figure out what happened......the guy would've got the car thru this dealer, would've paid 12k odd for the car (which is reasonable to him as he'd get 15k on selling the car by weight, going by the scrap rate per kg) minus papers, had to pay an extra 2k to the dealer as commission hence he's now insisting on his own profit of 2-3k more on the car alone...

Quote:
i hope something good happens to the car, otherwise Karl would have to come down for the spares for his car.
Hmm....yes I surmised as much....'have been thinking someone or the otehr has to be willing to do something bout the car now......no use in analysing anymore....today let's see who that someone turns out to be!
Old 8th November 2007, 08:44   #172
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
Was moving my herald from one garage to another yesterday..my driver driving it and me riding shotgun..it was by far one of the most exiting rides i have had in a while..
Hey prasad, woww lovely mate! Its intriguing to hear the much deserved long-lost attention the Herald has been getting from people again....! What a contrast to some 10 years ago when peeople thought of it as just junk not worth a 2nd glance! I'm sure the red Herald particularly evokes a lot of nostalgia!

Btw, one question- if I recall right you told me on phone your car is a 62 Herald.....but I see its got vertical slats on the bonnet vent (right in front of the windscreen), which was on the post 62 Heralds........'62 ones had a mesh-design grille on the bonnet vent.....you can check it out on my Herald in my gallery..
Also you did say you were planning to change the wheels...so why has he painted them over?
Old 8th November 2007, 09:33   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Btw, one question- if I recall right you told me on phone your car is a 62 Herald.....but I see its got vertical slats on the bonnet vent (right in front of the windscreen), which was on the post 62 Heralds........'62 ones had a mesh-design grille on the bonnet vent.....you can check it out on my Herald in my gallery..
Also you did say you were planning to change the wheels...so why has he painted them over?
hey shyam,

the papers say '62..plus the car has a lots of bits in the boot plus the garage guys may have added bits and pieces to it..

I have left all the bits off the car as it will undergoing a lot of work over the next 6 weeks..

One always leaves the shoes just before they walk out of the house..i hope this answers the wheels question...hehehhe..
on a more serious note...the wheels are my biggest challenge..and i have been speaking to wheels India about some custom rims.

Cheers

Last edited by R32_GTR : 8th November 2007 at 09:48.
Old 8th November 2007, 09:59   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

The car positively isnt a 62. If the boooks say MHU 6852, it is a 64 car, originally from UP re registered in 66/7 in Pune. It was a single owner car, in original paint as well. One of the best I had ever seen, and it belonged to my aunt, and I didnt even know it

So shes running already? On what motor? Go on, tell us more about it.
Old 8th November 2007, 10:22   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The car positively isnt a 62. If the boooks say MHU 6852, it is a 64 car, originally from UP re registered in 66/7 in Pune. It was a single owner car, in original paint as well. One of the best I had ever seen, and it belonged to my aunt, and I didnt even know it
Yeah I suspected it to be the same car as the number rang a bell......but then I thought you'd said this car was bought by a German guy who took the roof off & took it away to Goa?
Old 8th November 2007, 10:46   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

So shes running already? On what motor? Go on, tell us more about it.
'62 or '64...doesn't really bother me...i'm growing extremely fond of the old girl..guess she'd be happy to find out that her birth certificate was incorrect and she is 2 years younger...hahhahahhah

But, should i be worried if the papers have an incorrect date on it? (If it is incorrect that is) because the chassis plate is corroded and i am unable to see any details of it.

She just had any / all rust taken care of and everything tided up..
Old 8th November 2007, 11:12   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
'62 or '64...doesn't really bother me...i'm growing extremely fond of the old girl..guess she'd be happy to find out that her birth certificate was incorrect and she is 2 years younger...hahhahahhah

But, should i be worried if the papers have an incorrect date on it? (If it is incorrect that is) because the chassis plate is corroded and i am unable to see any details of it.
See this car was bought along with many other heralds, by the same bunch of people. As a result, there might have been swapping of many things, including papers/numbers. It shouldnt be too much of a problem, but do one thing. PM me a scan of the first 4 pages of the book, and a photo of your commission number. Does it end with 23426?
Old 8th November 2007, 13:51   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Well, I just thought of that as a precaution from my side as you wouldnt know the RTO might get suspicious even bout a xerox inplace of the original....! So let the owner himself state that he misplaced the original therefore can give only a xerox that he had....
like they say precaution is better than cure. you never know when the mind of the RTO changes and they start acting funny. i hope the owner agrees to give a letter stateing the loss of the original papers. sometimes they dont agree as according to them they have given all the papers.

Quote:
Yes he did tell us ki paper-aan agar mile to uske aur paise lagte......
I think I can figure out what happened......the guy would've got the car thru this dealer, would've paid 12k odd for the car (which is reasonable to him as he'd get 15k on selling the car by weight, going by the scrap rate per kg) minus papers, had to pay an extra 2k to the dealer as commission hence he's now insisting on his own profit of 2-3k more on the car alone...
dont blame him at all, he is just trying to make a profit from his purchase. its just plain business for him, no emotions involved. just another peice of metal that has come to him.

Quote:
Hmm....yes I surmised as much....'have been thinking someone or the otehr has to be willing to do something bout the car now......no use in analysing anymore....today let's see who that someone turns out to be!
Karl you reading.. . spares for your car.

@ prasad that is one fine car you have there. she is a beauty and cant wait to see her completed.the car would draw alot of attention as you hardly get to see them and they are cute little things that increase the curiosity levels. brings alot of memories each time i see a herald. good to see her in good hands and going to be well taken care off. all the best with the restorations. what custom wheels are you planning to make her wear?
Old 8th November 2007, 15:02   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
dont blame him at all, he is just trying to make a profit from his purchase. its just plain business for him, no emotions involved. just another peice of metal that has come to him.
Sad but true!

Quote:
Karl you reading.. . spares for your car.
Aw man I hope not!! Anyways, he told us to come there again after 3....so leaving now....will give a call to behram uncle when I'm there....ciao!
Old 8th November 2007, 18:33   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
stanher i feel the car is worth the price with or without the papers. if the papers are lost we can get a new set made with a letter from the owner. the other option is to get the car regesistered in bombay if Mr Behram does consider buying it.
If you register again do you get a period plate or a new one. Part of the charm of an old car is the old number. Something like a MH-01 just would'nt look appropriate.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks