Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2008, 10:30   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
This is definitely a Bedford.
Hi, I distinctly remember it as a Hindustan...and if you see the badge on the nose (!)/bonnet it mentions 'Hindustan'. Anyway if I remember right HM had the tie up with Bedford to manufacture trucks ?
Old 15th July 2008, 00:36   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi, I distinctly remember it as a Hindustan...and if you see the badge on the nose (!)/bonnet it mentions 'Hindustan'. Anyway if I remember right HM had the tie up with Bedford to manufacture trucks ?
Guess what? they still have the collaboration. I wonder how!

Bedford Trucks from Hindustan Motors
Old 15th July 2008, 08:25   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Guess what? they still have the collaboration. I wonder how!

Bedford Trucks from Hindustan Motors
Well old habits die hard eh ?

OT - And SirAlec - one thing I certainly would to continue dreaming of is someday to come around your part of the world and try my hand on the lightweight Land Rover which I have been drooling over ever since I've seen the snaps ! On Sunday in Mumbai when I was driving towards the Pune expressway I saw two, yes two Defenders (SWB - 90 inchers) which happens to be, incidentally, my dream SUV. One registered in Delhi was red/maroon in colour and the other registered in Mumbai was olive green. Well it was quite a sight and I trailed them for quite some time before I came to my senses and peeled off for my assignment of the day !
Old 15th July 2008, 21:50   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Well old habits die hard eh ?

OT - And SirAlec - one thing I certainly would to continue dreaming of is someday to come around your part of the world and try my hand on the lightweight Land Rover which I have been drooling over ever since I've seen the snaps ! On Sunday in Mumbai when I was driving towards the Pune expressway I saw two, yes two Defenders (SWB - 90 inchers) which happens to be, incidentally, my dream SUV. One registered in Delhi was red/maroon in colour and the other registered in Mumbai was olive green. Well it was quite a sight and I trailed them for quite some time before I came to my senses and peeled off for my assignment of the day !
Always welcome man!
They are very reliable. I have friends from netherland and france who drove their TUD5 all the way to india and further without any single breakdown, except punctures. (Check the images elsewhere in the forum.)
Old 18th July 2008, 00:17   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
Hi, DKG. I used to live in Hyderabad during the '60s. Did part of my schooling there at St Georges. I still remember Albion (single deckers) city buses. Even they used to be facinating. Any still around?
There is a small one put up as a showpiece just outside an RTC zonal workshop on the way to RTC X roads.
I remember it having a HYX registration.

'will try and get some sneak pics. ('may turn out to be too complicated if I try & ask them permission!) the next time I pass by that road.
Old 13th August 2008, 18:56   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a rarity moralfibre and me spotted the other day - a Premier bus! I assume they had links with Dodge commercial vehicles which they were assembling as well.

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-11.jpg

I wonder if I could help myself to those ultra rare larger badges
Old 14th August 2008, 06:12   #112
BHPian

This thread lured me out of lurk-space. I have a set of pictures of a small Chevrolet Power Wagon presently doing duty as Calcutta Corporation water tender. There are two of these in South Calcutta, both Corporation water tenders.

Could some kind soul please tell me how to upload pics? I dare not put them up straightaway and get carpetted by the authorities!!!
Old 14th August 2008, 10:47   #113
BHPian

Every detail I wanted was right in front of me, in a patient private mail addressed to me by the moderators, so here goes.

Since this is a public vehicle, showing the number plate may not be too major an offence after all <hoping very hard>
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dodge-power-wagon1.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dodge-power-wagon-2.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dodge-power-wagon-3.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dodge-power-wagon-4.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dodge-power-wagon-5.jpg  

Old 14th August 2008, 12:43   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice to see these still in active service. If Im not mistaken that has origins in a Dodge, not Chevrolet.

Have you seen this?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...aka-1-ton.html
Old 14th August 2008, 12:52   #115
Senior - BHPian

isnt that water tanker ex-indian army ones..

these are still widely used by two-truck companies in mumbai but using this as a water tanker is the first time seen by me..
Old 14th August 2008, 13:07   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Nice to see these still in active service. If Im not mistaken that has origins in a Dodge, not Chevrolet.

Have you seen this?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...aka-1-ton.html

You are perfectly right, of course; that's a Dodge Power Wagon, the smallest tonnage.

There were lots of them running as civilian trucks even twenty years ago: sic transit gloria mundi, and tempus fugit and all that.

Honest confession: I didn't even know what Arka had done. The reason I've been skulking around looking at these Power Wagons was in the hope of getting one cheap, and retro-fitting 4WD. I even had a tame garage lined up to partner me in this folly.

Damn. Beaten to the draw.

I wonder if there are still a few left in Army inventory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
isnt that water tanker ex-indian army ones..

these are still widely used by two-truck companies in mumbai but using this as a water tanker is the first time seen by me..
Not sure about that, but there were numerous Dodge Power Wagons, just like Arka's Nissan, but clearly marked Dodge Power Wagon, running as civilian trucks. I think the PAL people used to assemble them, along with a bigger truck called the Dodge Fargo, while HM did Bedford trucks.

I am still hopeful of laying my hands on a civilian truck rather than a Corporation water tanker; as I mentioned somewhere else, they used to be quite common a generation ago.

Moderators: Sorry, I'll get used to multiple quotes soon, I hope.

Last edited by Technocrat : 14th August 2008 at 14:37. Reason: Posts merged please use edit & Multiquote option
Old 14th August 2008, 16:35   #117
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Dodge Power Wagon was always civilian, never military.

The military version was the Dodge M37 WC, Weapons-Carrier.

This was copied by the Japanese and called the Datsun- and later Nissan 4W73.

Isn't it interesting that an inverted M becomes a W
and 37 becomes 73!

However the Nissan W73 wheel is quite a ways different from the original Dodge M37 wheel. The Dodge wheel diameter had shorter steel and taller rubber than the Nissan wheel.And our Jabalpur Armament Factory took out a licence to produce the Nissan 4W73 in India. In the army it is called a one-tonner.
Old 14th August 2008, 18:12   #118
Senior - BHPian

i am talking about that same one tonner which the army used or evne is useing at this time

it has a 3 spoke steering wheel set up. if i remember correctly.

that premier bus is also quite exotic these days

we had a truck of that same make and same front show styling

number was MRL 2136.. we sold it to a scrap merchant who used it for some years but unfortunatly one day he got in a wrek and then replaced the front with a tata 1210 one and the truck soldiered on till almost 2001.. and was sadly scrapped. it had a 4 spoke steering wheel. and 5 hole front wheel

Last edited by fx45 : 14th August 2008 at 18:14.
Old 14th August 2008, 18:12   #119
Ram
Senior - BHPian

1926 Thorneycroft Type A1 Model 14

Here's a pic of a pic from the BEST museum.

A 1926 Thorneycroft Type A1 Model 14 single-deck omnibus with front entrance.

The number plate is BOM 1201

One advertisement on the roof says "Castrol motor oil -- the finest you can use". Another says, "IBP Petrol: blended with natural gasoline"

The board on the side (black letters on white background) announces:
"WARDEN ROAD via CHURCHGATE STATION, QUEENS Rd. and GOWALIA TANK"

That's my Bombay.

A slice of history from 1926
  • Lord Bulwer-Lytton was Governor General of India.
  • Sir CV Raman was working on the scattering of light and discovering the Raman effect.
  • "The Jazz Singer" was the world's first movie with sound.
  • Gold was discovered in Johannesburg, South Africa.
  • Henry Ford announced that Ford employees need only work 8 hours a day. Also that Saturday and Sunday would be holidays.
  • John C. Garand patented the semi-automatic rifle.
  • Imperial Airways started to fly airmail and passenger services between England and India. The Handley-Page HP42 aircraft had all metal bodies and fabric covered wings.
Ram
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-guessthebus.jpg  

Ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2008, 19:19   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Today I saw one real rare relic- an old Merc. bus, a rather small one, propped on jacks and rusting away in a local ITI here! From the sign painted on it, it was used as a training vehicle, which means it wouldve been pretty much abused! Although it looked complete cosmetically from outside- even has the Merc. logo!
I didnt taker pics. as yet as I was there for the first time and alone, and dont know anyone there. 'will try when I get to know a motor mech. instructor there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks