Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2009, 23:12   #241
Senior - BHPian

Found this on the same link as above (on flikr). anybody seen this in person.

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-powerwagon.jpg
SirAlec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2009, 12:36   #242
Senior - BHPian

Essay on the Dodge 3/4 ton

@Siralec - The vehicle you've seen is a 3/4th ton Dodge Power Wagon. The vehicle has its origins in 1946. An extremely hardy, reliable and capable vehicle, it has quite a fan following all over the world. There are virtually hundreds of these surviving in India to this day, in various uses. Adams Garage in Kolkata still uses one 3/4 tonne Dodge as a wrecker.

The Dodge 3/4 ton was also used as a locomotive by the Nilgiri Railways. The truck's wheels were taken off and tracks placed. One such Dodge engine is on display at Delhi's Railway Museum (I have a photo of it, will upload if I can find it).

The PW's smaller brother, the 1/2 tonner was copied by the Japs and made into the very successful Nissan 1/2 ton. It is in use till date in the Indian Army as the Jonga 1/2 ton.

The PW also had a military brother, the Dodge WC (Weapons Carrier). These were made in various guises during the World War - as covered arms carriers, ambulances, open top troop movers etc. Following is a photo of the WC (1st pic - source Wikipedia).

Incidentally, Uday Bhan Singh has a 1950 PW skeleton lying in his garage (2nd pic). The body is completely rusted, the engine - removed and kept elsewhere - looks like it was part of a horror movie! It belonged to his uncle who was in the transport business. UBS still thinks he can restore this truck. I will choose to reserve my comments!

Also, an intersting anecdote from UBS which I thought I'd share on the forum. He's a big fan of the Dodge 3/4 ton's power, and told me this to illustrate what the truck was really capable of:

During World War times, Kolkata was swamped with American army trucks brought in by the GIs. One such truck (driven by a Negro GI) was negotiating pedestrian traffic in Esplanade area and slowly trying to inch forward. It came face to face with a tram. Both vehicles stopped, and the GI tried to steer out of the way.

In the meantime, the tram driver decided to show his authority (the truck was on HIS tracks after all!) He inched forward as if to ram into the truck. The GI was still looking for a way out. The tram driver continued his play acting and kept advancing inch by inch, until his bumper was perilously close to the truck's bumper.

The GI had enough of this. Suddenly, without warning, he reversed a few metres, revved the engine to full chat, then rammed into the tram and started pushing it backwards. The tram driver had no answer to the truck's rage. GI kept pushing the tram until it was well into Dalhousie area (a cool 1.5 kms), collecting 2 more trams which had lined up behind the victim tram on the same track. When finally the GI got tired of the game, a sizeable crowd had gathered. Of course, no one had the guts of stopping him as he sped off!

Disclaimer: I have no idea about the authenticity of the story. Personally, knowing the WC's power and torque, I find it a bit difficult to digest. But sounds fascinating anyway!
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dodge_mili.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dsc02622.jpg  

predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2009, 12:41   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Incidentally, Uday Bhan Singh has a 1950 PW skeleton lying in his garage (2nd pic). The body is completely rusted, the engine - removed and kept elsewhere - looks like it was part of a horror movie! It belonged to his uncle who was in the transport business. UBS still thinks he can restore this truck. I will choose to reserve my comments
It appears to have a vey unique streamlined body. Any idea why, or who made it? Any more pics?
Old 5th June 2009, 13:29   #244
Senior - BHPian

UBS - Ummeed Bhare Sawal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
It appears to have a vey unique streamlined body. Any idea why, or who made it? Any more pics?
No Karl, I dont have an idea why it was made. I also could not take more pics of the truck. As you can see, its lying in a sea of filth, surrounded by walls on 3 sides.

In fact, UBS' garage is a storehouse of question marks. You would remember a Landcruiser FJ55 that Anish9000 posted in the "Rust in pieces" thread. Its lying in his garage too. How a car that rare got to West Bengal, and why a regular government department (fisheries or labour welfare, something like that) needed a car that capable and powerful is a mystery. All UBS knows is that the car had been put on a scrap sale by the govt in "as is where is" condition, where he bought it from.

2 more interesting classic commercial vehicles in his garage are:

1. A short-chassis Unimog. Bought by Tata Motors to copy chassis designs for the Tata 407 4X4 (wow!), the car was completely taken apart and subsequently sold as scrap. Sir UBS admits that the car needs exhaustive work to bring together again.

2. A Series II Land Rover Ambulance. Belonged to a now defunct WB Govt company.

I have earlier posted a huge report on this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post1296418
Old 5th June 2009, 14:18   #245
BHPian

Quote:
The Dodge 3/4 ton was also used as a locomotive by the Nilgiri Railways. The truck's wheels were taken off and tracks placed. One such Dodge engine is on display at Delhi's Railway Museum (I have a photo of it, will upload if I can find it).
I haven't been to the Delhi Rail Museum in more than a decade so I could be wrong, but the locomotive I remember seeing there was a converted vintage chain-driven Dodge Brothers Light-weight truck.

Last edited by Prabal : 5th June 2009 at 14:21. Reason: Trimmed it!
Old 5th June 2009, 20:05   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@Siralec - The vehicle you've seen is a 3/4th ton Dodge Power Wagon. The vehicle has its origins in 1946. An extremely hardy, reliable and capable vehicle, it has quite a fan following all over the world. There are virtually hundreds of these surviving in India to this day, in various uses. Adams Garage in Kolkata still uses one 3/4 tonne Dodge as a wrecker.

The Dodge Power Wagon was a part of the Indian Army/Air Force and Navy's transport fleet. The Army earlier had the Willys/ Ford Jeeps, Ford Canada a one and a half tonner truck, larger Dodge, Ford and Chevrolet trucks and the Dodge Power Wagons (soft top and hard tops too). These were imported as CBU's.
Its only in the early 1960's when the PSU factory was established in Jabalpur, M.P. that the Nissan one and a half tonner, Jonga jeeps (also built under licence from Nissan) and Shaktiman trucks entered the forces fleet. Tata and Leyland trucks too came alongwith Ambassadors.Earlier there were imported Ford, Dodge and Chevrolet cars. Now the IVECO trucks are also quite popular.
I am told that a senior official did not part with his 1956 Dodge Suburban station wagon in the mid 1970's, fearing that he will be given an Ambassador as the replacement. There were umpteen such cases and its only when the spares became impossible to get that these cars were condemned (thats the word they use for declaring the cars and trucks as unservicable and fit for auction).
Old 5th June 2009, 20:33   #247
BHPian

The Indian Armed Forces had many more makes besides these and in large numbers too most of them, not just an obscure one here or there. The use of imported vehicles reduced after Nationalisation in the late 60s but didn't stop completely ever. Anyway it's too long a list to get in to here.

Regarding Chrysler Corporation and GM products though, the forces started inducting India-made Dodges and Fargos made by PAL and Bedfords made by HM from the 60s besides the TMBs, Shaktimans and Leylands (also made under licence).
Old 5th June 2009, 22:22   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
I haven't been to the Delhi Rail Museum in more than a decade so I could be wrong, but the locomotive I remember seeing there was a converted vintage chain-driven Dodge Brothers Light-weight truck.
Hi Prabal,

When we met recently in Delhi, around 1st of may, I also visited the Rail Museum with my guest. Great in the heat, it was the time of the highest temp in a number of years.
There are two vehicles, one was a Vintage 'Dodge Brothers' truck converted to rail use. Will be of the 1920's.
There was another vehicle which had a petrol engine with a magnetto ignition, have photos, will post after I return. But there was no Dodge Truck like the ones shown above.
Cheers harit
Old 5th June 2009, 23:30   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
yeah abolutely straight out of raymond lowey's book. kind of like a mini trailer from the 50's could it be a vending trailer?
Old 7th June 2009, 14:11   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The PW's smaller brother, the 1/2 tonner was copied by the Japs and made into the very successful Nissan 1/2 ton. It is in use till date in the Indian Army as the Jonga 1/2 ton.

The PW also had a military brother, the Dodge WC (Weapons Carrier). These were made in various guises during the World War - as covered arms carriers, ambulances, open top troop movers etc. Following is a photo of the WC (1st pic - source Wikipedia).

Incidentally, Uday Bhan Singh has a 1950 PW skeleton lying in his garage (2nd pic). The body is completely rusted, the engine - removed and kept elsewhere - looks like it was part of a horror movie! It belonged to his uncle who was in the transport business. UBS still thinks he can restore this truck. I will choose to reserve my comments!

Also, an intersting anecdote from UBS which I thought I'd share on the forum. He's a big fan of the Dodge 3/4 ton's power, and told me this to illustrate what the truck was really capable of:

During World War times, Kolkata was swamped with American army trucks brought in by the GIs. One such truck (driven by a Negro GI) was negotiating pedestrian traffic in Esplanade area and slowly trying to inch forward. It came face to face with a tram. Both vehicles stopped, and the GI tried to steer out of the way.

In the meantime, the tram driver decided to show his authority (the truck was on HIS tracks after all!) He inched forward as if to ram into the truck. The GI was still looking for a way out. The tram driver continued his play acting and kept advancing inch by inch, until his bumper was perilously close to the truck's bumper.

The GI had enough of this. Suddenly, without warning, he reversed a few metres, revved the engine to full chat, then rammed into the tram and started pushing it backwards. The tram driver had no answer to the truck's rage. GI kept pushing the tram until it was well into Dalhousie area (a cool 1.5 kms), collecting 2 more trams which had lined up behind the victim tram on the same track. When finally the GI got tired of the game, a sizeable crowd had gathered. Of course, no one had the guts of stopping him as he sped off!

Disclaimer: I have no idea about the authenticity of the story. Personally, knowing the WC's power and torque, I find it a bit difficult to digest. But sounds fascinating anyway!
Guys any idea what is the car in blue color next to the truck? is it a Fiat 1100R
Old 7th June 2009, 14:38   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Guys any idea what is the car in blue color next to the truck? is it a Fiat 1100R
It is an Austin/Morris 1100, has probably been shown before.
Old 7th June 2009, 14:43   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You had to quote the entire post for that?

Its an Austin 1300, later version to the Austin 1100 as Harit pointed out. Here's a pic I posted:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1296442
Old 7th June 2009, 14:58   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I suspect its an Austin "landcrab"?
Old 7th June 2009, 15:08   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Not a Landcrab. That was the Maxi. This is a 1300. Very few Maxi's came to India, but recently a brown car was sold from Mumbai to to a collection in Bangalore. These were good cars to use, powerful, twin carb et al, but totally lacking aesthtics. Little wonder British Leyland went down the tube.
Old 7th June 2009, 15:12   #255
Senior - BHPian

Land Crab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
No Stanher,

The Car I posted is the Austin 1100/1300, part of BMC's AD016 model family. The car was made under Austin, Morris, Wolseley, Riley and Vanden Plas brands. It was the UK's largest selling car for over a decade.

Landcrab, on the other hand, was a name given to the larger BMC AD017 (Austin 1800/2200) model line. It wasn't comparatively such a marketing success. Here's a Landcrab brochure for your ref (courtesy cartype.com)
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-austin_1800_windsor_brochure.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks