Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2009, 21:45   #391
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
We even have the nissan 1/2 ton truck used by the municipality as water tankers which are dieselised .Mayb someone there who spots one can mayb upload a pic.
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dsc04582.jpg
In fact Indrojit I missed out on clicking one picture of such an ex-Army Nissan which you can locate just behind the D pillar of the Wagon R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
I quite liked these tata trucks they follow the original Merecedes Design to the hilt. So much similarity between the grills of these trucks and Mercedes passenger cars of the 50's and 60's
Yes mole, they are with the classic looks and also used to come with the 3 pointed star prior to 1968 when they were called Tata Mercedes Benz trucks.These trucks featured here are from the Telco (Tata 1210) era.
Old 25th December 2009, 21:50   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Attachment 251403
In fact Indrojit I missed out on clicking one picture of such an ex-Army Nissan which you can locate just behind the D pillar of the Wagon R.

Yes that is indeed what i was talking about.
Old 13th January 2010, 22:17   #393
BHPian

These images were taken 4-5 years ago of old beloved school car. A white chevrolet van, but model is not known to me. It was in service till 1982-83. This was the first vehicle of a govt school in Tripura. Going to school riding this car was a real status symbol in those days. Some of our alumni have taken the project of restoring this car last year, but shortage of spares and expertise in a remote place like Tripura have slowed the project considerably.

The registration no is TRA 44. So, can we consider it a very early registered car of Tripura. Bhpian, please shed some light.
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-white1.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-white2.jpg  

Old 14th January 2010, 00:07   #394
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by milindajp View Post
These images were taken 4-5 years ago of old beloved school car. A white chevrolet van, but model is not known to me. It was in service till 1982-83. This was the first vehicle of a govt school in Tripura. Going to school riding this car was a real status symbol in those days. Some of our alumni have taken the project of restoring this car last year, but shortage of spares and expertise in a remote place like Tripura have slowed the project considerably.

The registration no is TRA 44. So, can we consider it a very early registered car of Tripura. Bhpian, please shed some light.
Wow, a chevy pick-up based van!!

Pity about it's present state- but I would say it still is restorable. Parts you will have to import, they are impossible to get even in other parts of India. Ebay and other online sitesi n the US is a reservoir for chevy parts!

Expertise would be difficult but once all parts are available, half the problem is solved. Try and obtain a restoration manual for this also from ebay.
Old 29th January 2010, 22:48   #395
BHPian

here is a classic Tata Benz 1210 which was rotting in Govt Engineering College campus, Thrissur. it was there untill last year but now its missing. but to my surprise they are maintaining another bus and its a leyland and for sure its more than 30 years old.check out.
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-image201.jpg  

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-0086.jpg  

urzdeepu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2010, 00:17   #396
Senior - BHPian

the TATA MB bus looks nice. exactly when was it launched & any more pictures??
Old 1st February 2010, 12:09   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
the TATA MB bus looks nice. exactly when was it launched & any more pictures??
Amit V8,

See the attached advertisement for Tata MB. This is from Nov 1956.

So the MB Bus must have been available from early 50s atleast.

The Trichur Engineering College Bus must have been one with original body built by the Keral State Transport Corporation Body Building Unit in Trivandrum. The college opened in 1959/60 and in those day all the Goverment Owned buses the body was being built by KSRTC BB Unit at Pappanamcode, Trivandrum.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride safe

Ram
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-tata-benz-nov-56.jpg  

r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2010, 20:03   #398
Senior - BHPian

@ r_nairtvm, thanks for the picture. for once in my life i had the opportunity to ride in this TATA Benz bus. i was 8 years old then, thought it was a Leyland. boy, it was the quiet compared to others.
Old 3rd February 2010, 23:12   #399
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's a Nissan "1-tonner" truck I spotted today.... appears to have been laid up.

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-nissan.jpg
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2010, 00:04   #400
Ram
Senior - BHPian

The Nissan 4x4 truck was a Japanese knock-off of the
American World War2, 4x4 Dodge 3/4 ton WC-51 Weapons Carrier.

In early 1960, the Indian government signed an agreement with Nissan, Japan to produce the one-ton Nissan 4W73 4x4 truck.
These vehicles were built at the Jabalpur Vehicle Factory, since 1970.
They are now being replaced with Tata one-tonners.

Ref: 1st May 2006, 15:22/Ram
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post219445

-----

Dodge Power Wagon was always civilian, never military.
The military version was the Dodge M37 WC, Weapons-Carrier.
This was copied by the Japanese and called the Datsun- and later Nissan 4W73.
Isn't it interesting that an inverted M becomes a W and 37 becomes 73!

And our Jabalpur Armament Factory took out a licence to produce the Nissan 4W73 in India. In the army it is called a one-tonner.

Ref: 14th August 2008, 17:35/Ram
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...tml#post939845

-----

The original World War2, 4x4 Dodge 3/4 ton WC-51 Weapons Carrier was used in the
Howard Hawks 1962 movie "Hatari!" starring John Wayne, Hardy Krüger, Elsa Martinelli, Red Buttons...

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-1941dodgewchatari.jpg

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-1941dodgewchataricloseup.jpg

If you notice the Dodge WC-51 had heavy duty bolted military two piece wheels with shorter steel and taller rubber than the Nissan wheels. On the battlefield the tire could be replaced without heavy tire-irons. Unbolting the rim bolts would separate the two pieces of rim from the tire itself.

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-1941dodgewcbolted2piecewheel.jpg

On the other hand, the Indian Nissan 4W73 had like a split-ring two-piece wheel like a commercial lorry.

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-jabalpurnissan4w73wheel.jpg

Ram
Old 4th February 2010, 01:26   #401
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra had a truck with Jeep front.there are many plying here in Kerala.Is it related to dodge/nissan truck shown above?
Old 4th February 2010, 18:31   #402
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Mahindra had a truck with Jeep front.there are many plying here in Kerala.Is it related to dodge/nissan truck shown above?
Can you provide a pic please?

I may be mistaken here, but I believe that at one time Mahindra sold a few 1947-1963 Willys Jeep trucks. This was based on the Willys Wagon.

There was the Willys FC-150/FC-170 which was made by Mahindra and sold in India, after the US version was discontinued in 1965. Later an intermediate version was sold called FC-160. This was even dieselized with the MD2350 engine in India in 1975 and called FC-260 series.
The 1970s “cowl and chassis only” FC-260 was widely converted into mini-buses and ambulances, which we still see in India.

Then there was the 1979 Mahindra NC665DP Jeep truck with a canvas top over the cab. This debuted the Peugeot XDP 4.90 engine in India. Many examples were used to ferry milk cans.

There was the Mahindra Maxx Pik Up which came out in Autumn 2003 with a single wall cargo box.

The summer 2009 Bolero MaxiTruck singlecab and crewcab...

there is even the Scorpio Getaway pick-up (for India , only the crewcab version).

..Which one did you have in mind?

Whichever it was, the answer is no. The Dodge/Nissan Truck was much bigger and much more heavy duty than a Mahindra Jeep in width, track, wheelbase, wheelsize, weight, all metrics...
Old 5th February 2010, 23:59   #403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post

I may be mistaken here, but I believe that at one time Mahindra sold a few 1947-1963 Willys Jeep trucks. This was based on the Willys Wagon.

There was the Willys FC-150/FC-170 which was made by Mahindra..................
I would believe that he means the FC series. BTW, when Tata came out with their pickup, which was often converted into a saloon car, Mahindra was seriously considering to build Peugeot 504 pick-ups. I had personally seen two such pick-ups at Mahindra chambers, they were white and they were to be taken to RTO for........well, inspection!!

Quote:
The Nissan 4x4 truck was a Japanese knock-off of the
American World War2, 4x4 Dodge 3/4 ton WC-51 Weapons Carrier.

In early 1960, the Indian government signed an agreement with Nissan, Japan to produce the one-ton Nissan 4W73 4x4 truck.
These vehicles were built at the Jabalpur Vehicle Factory, ...................... Ram
Many of these army Nissans were later auctioned off, and the most frequent changes made were the front axle with a Tata unit and the engine with a Tata diesel.

Cheers harit
Old 6th February 2010, 00:07   #404
Senior - BHPian

this Leyland sewage truck seems to be older than my mother. it's still active & the govt. says it has banned 15 year old CVs in the state.

anyway any idea when this was launched?? is this the viking or cheetah??
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-050210_110611.jpg  

Old 6th February 2010, 04:09   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There was the Willys FC-150/FC-170 which was made by Mahindra and sold in India, after the US version was discontinued in 1965. Later an intermediate version was sold called FC-160. This was even dieselized with the MD2350 engine in India in 1975 and called FC-260 series.
The 1970s “cowl and chassis only” FC-260 was widely converted into mini-buses and ambulances, which we still see in India.

Then there was the 1979 Mahindra NC665DP Jeep truck with a canvas top over the cab. This debuted the Peugeot XDP 4.90 engine in India. Many examples were used to ferry milk cans.

I will try.These are "Mahindra's".These "Jeep-Trucks" were very common till a decade ago.But Still they are seen not so rarely.Familiar "Mahindra Jeep" from the front looks.

IIRC ,from the registration series these are older than 25 Years Plus For Sure.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks