Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2009, 14:46   #316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's a great picture. Can you provide the link please?
here it goes..
Steam trucks on Biglorryblog...historic Fodens, Bristols and Hindleys---thanks to 'The Brochure King'. - BigLorryBlog
Old 20th July 2009, 15:17   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
Here in Mumbai, many of the scrapped Nissan 4W73 (1 Toner) were picked up by the Traffic Police Department & then by replacing their 4.0L petrol engine with Tata 407's 3.0L diesel, they are used as tow trucks by traffic cops.
Many of these vehicles are parked near Sion Hospital & Maheshwari Udyan Circle @ night. I will try for some pics if possible.
These Nissan trucks were disposed of by the forces. They were then not only dieselised, but the front axel was changed. The traffic cops had them under contract for towing.
Then came the law about 20 year old commercial vehicles not being allowed into the city and they were removed.
At Matunga there were 2 tow cos., Uma and Kamal. I knew Uma owner very well and sometimes used to visit him to listen to stories.
Though these were Nissan trucks also made in India, very very long ago the Nissan trucks had some connection with the American Dodge trucks, either a collaboration or simply copied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by profold View Post
AFAIK since about 1970, Indian Army's workhorse had been "Shaktiman",
A M A N derivative multi-fuel CI engine trucks. These were manufactured under license at the heavy vehicle factory Jabalpur.
"Jongas" were Nissan derivatives of course.
Shaktiman trucks were made under licence of MAN, the same MAN who are now in-Force. The German army used the same truck as was made in India, I had seen convoys on German highways. They had the same angled bonnet.
Surprisingly these trucks did not find favour when they were sold off to the public after use.
Jongas to my info were pertol engined, most were dieselised when they came out of service.

Quote:
I too was keen to find photo/picture of Fargo trucks manufactured by PAL in this thread.Could not find any.
These trucks could be easily identified with their cusped bonnet.
Found an old PAL Ad at Chrysler cars of India - Premier Automobiles, Plymouth, Fargo, and DeSoto, pointed by senior Bhpian Khanak in another thread (Indian built/assembled classics) initiated by karlosdeville.
Some photographs would be welcome.
I have a Fargo pic, shall try to post tomorrow.
I read the article in Chrysler cars of India - Premier Automobiles, Plymouth, Fargo, and DeSoto, there are quite a few inaccuracies.

Cheers harit
Old 21st July 2009, 13:48   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Do any of you remember the ISUZU trucks? Around 1970, just before the Bangladesh war, scores of these trucks started plying the roads of Kolkata and other parts of eastern India. These trucks came as International aid for erstwhile East Pakistan refugees.Probably these trucks were operated by govt and aid agencies.
Anybody know of the fate of these trucks? Do we have any pictures/wreckage/ ? were these given to Bangladesh? Just curious.
Cheers
You've brought back memory of something that I had quite forgotten, thanks profold. Yes, I remember these Isuzu lorries very well now. I think they were called Isuzu Forward series or something like that, also something like Isuzu New Power. There was also the a few of the smaller Elf or Elfine series (or something like that). These Isuzu trucks looked really modern and classy compared to anything else on our roads those days. Isuzu had a close association going with GM, so most probably these products had GM DNA in them. There were also many noticeable common strains between GM Australia (Holden) and Isuzu products.

I don't know where the trucks went afterwards. I've spent little time in Bengal, mostly short stays. But I've seen some of these trucks regularly, whenever there, in the early and mid 70s and occasionally even in the late 70s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujith1100 View Post
hey do you all know that most of the old army trucks and jeeps were NISSAN. and some still in use actually
Sorry, that's incorrect. Only the Jonga and One-tonner were Nissan and they did not constitute the majority of all Indian Army vehicles.

Quote:
AFAIK since about 1970, Indian Army's workhorse had been "Shaktiman", A M A N derivative multi-fuel CI engine trucks.
Very correct about the multi-fuel part, profold. The Shaktiman could run on Petrol, Kerosene and Diesel. There was a device to alter the compression ration according to the feed. I'm not sure though, if it had provision for spark ignition also for petrol, or that relied on combustion ignition also. later I think the HVF, Jabalpur gave it an all-diesel engine (probably Hino-derived). Folks in the Army had mixed-feelings about the Shaktiman though. The Shaktiman also had rather loud air-brakes that besides scaring the living daylights out of unsuspecting creatures within earshot also required constant monitoring to ensure they were ready to work when required!!
Old 22nd July 2009, 19:03   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I too was keen to find photo/picture of Fargo trucks manufactured by PAL in this thread.Could not find any.

Some photographs would be welcome.
Attached is an old photo, would normally be popsted in the nostalgic thread but fits better here. There used to be so many of these trucks around, now not to be seen.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-premi-truck.jpg  

Old 22nd July 2009, 20:04   #320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Attached is an old photo, would normally be popsted in the nostalgic thread but fits better here. There used to be so many of these trucks around, now not to be seen.
They are still common in this part of the country. Until what year was this model made btw?
Old 22nd July 2009, 21:19   #321
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers harit
The older 1940's Ford and Chevrolet trucks used to be very common in Mumbai till the 1980's. Their petrol engines were I believe swapped for diesels.Many of these were seen in Bollywood movies sometimes injuring the hero. The film Namakharam has a scene where Rajesh Khanna as is the rule survives (All heroes survive as a rule and become more menacing after such attacks) such a hit by a Chevrolet truck.
Old 22nd July 2009, 21:30   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
They are still common in this part of the country. Until what year was this model made btw?
Do Andhra trucks (all commercial vehicles in A.P. I believe) still have the yellow paint on the frontal and rear parts as before? There were many of these Dodge trucks around. Glad that they still are.
In a village Vinukonda in Cuddapah dist. where I had been long back, there were old American cars of the 1940's and 50's vintage, being operated as taxis for a long long time.These could seat upto 15-20 passengers. Thats no great feat now as Mahindra jeep taxis ferry 25 or more people in many rural areas.
I remember a joke-A traffic inspector in Bihar caught an Ambassador taxi with 25 passengers. The driver refused to pay a fine and appeared for the hearing before a Magistrate.
The magistrate said, "heard 15, 18, 20 but can't believe its 25 this time? After all how did you accomodate so many in the Ambassador?"
The taxi driver said," Idddhar Chhow Tho, Udhar Chhow Tho , Aur Uddhar Bhi Chhow Tho, Aur aur UUUUddhar bhi Chhow Tho Aur Ek Iddhar, Magistrate Babua, Aaap aaiye aap ko bhi 26th wa passenger banake bithha leta hoon."

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 22nd July 2009 at 21:34.
Old 22nd July 2009, 21:42   #323
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers harit
Thanks Harit. It does fit with my teen age memory.
Cheers.
Old 22nd July 2009, 22:46   #324
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Do Andhra trucks (all commercial vehicles in A.P. I believe) still have the yellow paint on the frontal and rear parts as before? There were many of these Dodge trucks around.
Um, yes most of them are painted yellow on the front atleast, so are Bedford J6 trucks (aka lorries down south )

I thought it's a common colour on them throughout t he country?

Quote:
In a village Vinukonda in Cuddapah dist. where I had been long back, there were old American cars of the 1940's and 50's vintage, being operated as taxis for a long long time.
That's interesting! A pity I missed them! I had gone from Kurnool to Madras by road once in the year 2000, and did pass through rural areas in Chitoor, Cuddapah etc.
I don't recall seeing yank cars as taxis (you mean as in black and yellow cabs?) but yes many minibus-based Fords and Dodges used as such. Not sure if they still exist. Karl had posted pics. of a similar taxi in Wai/Panchgani.

Quote:
I remember a joke-A traffic inspector in Bihar caught an Ambassador taxi with 25 passengers. The driver refused to pay a fine and appeared for the hearing before a Magistrate.
Haha! That was a good one! I wonder how many of those 25 poor souls had partially suffocated!
Old 22nd July 2009, 23:00   #325
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Um, yes most of them are painted yellow on the front atleast, so are Bedford J6 trucks (aka lorries down south )

I thought it's a common colour on them throughout t he country?
That's interesting! A pity I missed them! I had gone from Kurnool to Madras by road once in the year 2000, and did pass through rural areas in Chitoor, Cuddapah etc.
I don't recall seeing yank cars as taxis (you mean as in black and yellow cabs?) but yes many minibus-based Fords and Dodges used as such. Not sure if they still exist. Karl had posted pics. of a similar taxi in Wai/Panchgani.
Yes they were black and yellow taxis doing their duty carrying many people with luggage on the roof carriers in Vinukonda. Most were cars and there were a few Station Wagons. Don't know whether they still exist? There used to be an assortment of many makes there and not like the Chevrolet Fleetmaster only in Nashik (Mah) or the Fords only in Girnar (Gujarat).
Old 24th July 2009, 01:53   #326
BHPian

Those yellow colored front Bedford lorries are still used in some districts of WestBengal(I saw many carrying wood logs at Krishnanagar,District town of Nadia)
Old 24th July 2009, 17:02   #327
Senior - BHPian

Talking of the Bedfords, found this pic of a KSRTC 1947 Bedford bus.Its from an auto india issue i think 97-98,They had an article about it, is it still displayed at Bangalore Bus stand..
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-1947-bedford-bus.jpg  

agspins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2009, 09:18   #328
BHPian

@ agspins:
This bus has been there in this forum since long time.
Here is the pic:
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-bedford-bus.jpg  

dhrishikesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2009, 10:09   #329
Senior - BHPian

I have seen a Bedford light green coloured truck till 2000(IIRC) in my town ,used by KSEB(kerala state electricity board) for transportation of electric posts.
Old 25th July 2009, 11:40   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
@ agspins:
This bus has been there in this forum since long time.
Here is the pic:
I have a slight doubt if this is a Bedford. A frontal picture would clarify. I feel that this is an American rig.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks