Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2009, 14:43   #361
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A question - I know for a fact that MYO series is for private vehicles. Did Karnataka too have the system where private and public (taxi) vehicles could use the same number, just change the colours? Kerala had that system. I haven't noticed that being the case for Karnataka. If so, then this could well be a civilian black Amby with a yellow roof added to dress up the car, for the enjoyment and fancy of the new foreigner owner.
Yes, isnt that the way registration numbers went till the current system came into force in about 1990/91 ? Pvt vehicles had black plates with white letters, and commercial vehicles had white plates with black numbers.
Old 25th October 2009, 15:22   #362
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Yes, isnt that the way registration numbers went till the current system came into force in about 1990/91 ? Pvt vehicles had black plates with white letters, and commercial vehicles had white plates with black numbers.
But they never shared series (e.g BMY, BMX were for private vehicles in Bombay, while BMR, BMT were taxi plates) as far as I know - subject to correction.
Old 25th October 2009, 17:59   #363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1990-91?? Surely not that early, it was well after 2000 only. 2002 or thereabouts.
Old 25th October 2009, 18:21   #364
Distinguished - BHPian

@Karlos, I think it was shared. AFAIR, Only KSRTC & Govt vehicles had their own series.

@Stanher : 1990/91 or there abouts. My first bike (got in 1991) had the new (current) numbering scheme, and not the old 3-Alpha 4-Numeric scheme.
Old 25th October 2009, 18:51   #365
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@Stanher : 1990/91 or there abouts. My first bike (got in 1991) had the new (current) numbering scheme, and not the old 3-Alpha 4-Numeric scheme.
Oh sorry, I took it that you were referring to the colour scheme of the old numberplates, ie. white letters on black for private and the opposite for commercial vehicles.
Old 4th November 2009, 18:28   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Ok, thanks for the gyaan, pw! Some pics. can be so misleading! The front grille of the bus seems to be a "home-made" one though?
Don't think the grille is 'home-made'. The Ashok Leyland Cheetah Chennai local city buses in the '80s had a similar oval grille.
Old 4th November 2009, 18:41   #367
BHPian

3 yrs + in T-BHP and I stumbled upon this beautiful thread only today! You live..you learn!

In mid-80s, Pallavan Transport Corp (PTC) - Madras, ordered some Ford City buses (Chassis + Engine). Those buses had a small Ford logo in a big front grille. They were much more noisier than Leylands and maybe a bit slower. Lots of them were plying on the Parrys side of town.

I remember the driver telling me (I was around 7-8 yrs old then) that there were SIX forward gears and that there was no need to depress the clutch pedal. I was terribly impressed!

Any clue anyone?

Last edited by d_himan : 4th November 2009 at 18:46.
Old 4th November 2009, 18:54   #368
Senior - BHPian

Those Amby pics are in all probability shot in Bhutan or Nepal,as pointed out by AmitV8.
Old 4th November 2009, 20:12   #369
Senior - BHPian

the new numbering system came in force in JUNE 1989 .
the yellow number plates for taxis (in kerala) continued till 2000 as far as my knowledge goes
Old 4th November 2009, 22:24   #370
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
the new numbering system came in force in JUNE 1989 .
the yellow number plates for taxis (in kerala) continued till 2000 as far as my knowledge goes
Kerala had Yellow plates for taxis before 2000 itself?! I thought they were white in ALL states??
Old 7th November 2009, 16:07   #371
Distinguished - BHPian

'have often seen this old Leyland lorry (truck ) that seems to be a govt. owned milk tanker.

This morning I happened to see it on the highway near to our place and I actually overtook the guy in my SS80, stopped way ahead of him so I had enough time to take out my camera and click when he passed by!

I remember this model was called the Taurus or something? Introduced around late 70s? I do recall seeing pics. of it (and the Tusker) in a Readers Digest mag dated Sept. '79.

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-img_3874.jpg
Old 14th November 2009, 17:54   #372
Senior - BHPian

oh. these are obsolete in Mumbai
nice pic
Old 14th November 2009, 17:59   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
'have often seen this old Leyland lorry (truck ) that seems to be a govt. owned milk tanker.
Yes!! it was actually a JV with a European company (British Leyland???). It came with a factory built tilt cab which was un heard of at the time. (the one in your pic is a juggad built cab).

Unfortunately it flopped because it was considered too fragile for overloading on our pockmarked roads.
Old 14th November 2009, 18:30   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Kerala had Yellow plates for taxis before 2000 itself?! I thought they were white in ALL states??
Nope. Like you said, white letters on black board for private vehicles and black letters on white board for public vehicles (as was the case in the other parts of India??). The yellow board came only with the pan-India change in number plate scheme.

In Kerala, only the KSRTC has a different registration series. KL-15 currently. Earlier in the old scheme, it used to be KLX. Other government vehicles does not have a separate series and makes do with the regular registration numbers.
Old 15th November 2009, 14:23   #375
Senior - BHPian

while on Leylands

Quote:
I also remember the "Ashok Leyland Comet" trucks and school buses in Mumbai, in the seventies / eighties..
Though this is a British pic, the Indian variants were very similar. MRL 25 was a St. Mary's school bus which used to pass my house every day.
Attached Thumbnails
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-leyland-comet.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks