Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2009, 22:49   #376
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Yes!! it was actually a JV with a European company (British Leyland???). It came with a factory built tilt cab which was un heard of at the time. (the one in your pic is a juggad built cab).

Unfortunately it flopped because it was considered too fragile for overloading on our pockmarked roads.
Thanks! That was some interesting info.! 'didn't know they came with such a cab- so you mean to say it was something like that of the DCM Toyotas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
I also remember the "Ashok Leyland Comet" trucks and school buses in Mumbai, in the seventies / eighties..
Though this is a British pic, the Indian variants were very similar.
Yes, I too have seen similar such trucks. Even one such bus. Not any more though!
Old 15th November 2009, 23:36   #377
Senior - BHPian

even BEST of mumbai had similar front styled buses in their fleet regd. MRR-MRT etc same as the red truck posted earlier.
Old 15th November 2009, 23:50   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Attached is an old photo, would normally be popsted in the nostalgic thread but fits better here. There used to be so many of these trucks around, now not to be seen.

Cheers harit
I saw a similar truck some days ago in my area, it was a two truck whihc had come for mantainance in a workshp, when i went to enquire about it, the person said it has gone, and he didnt have much info about it sadly.
Old 3rd December 2009, 12:06   #379
Team-BHP Support

WWII-era truck ferrying garbage in Salt Lake - Kolkata - City - The Times of India
Old 9th December 2009, 15:48   #380
Senior - BHPian

^^^^

Quote:
The truck's driver Ashok Adhikari admitted it was embarrassing to drive the ramshackle vehicle through Salt Lake sector V, the glitzy IT hub. "People stare at the vehicle with expressions ranging from shock to disbelief. They swear at me when I stop at traffic signals," he said. Even driving it is a pain. The truck's body vibrates. There's always a threat of it disintegrating. In fact, parts of corroded metal fall off. During the rains, water leaks through the perforated roof
I never knew this was one aspect of driving an old vehicle.
Old 9th December 2009, 16:02   #381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
^^^^
I never knew this was one aspect of driving an old vehicle.
Imagine the difference - Had the truck been in great restored condition, the guy would've got smiles and thumbs up's at traffic lights !!
Old 9th December 2009, 23:05   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Imagine the difference - Had the truck been in great restored condition, the guy would've got smiles and thumbs up's at traffic lights !!
You bet Ravi. A bit off topic but it happened today and sighted a superb buick 8, it really took me of course and I ended at different ccd than what i had planned. BMZ 4211. I guess Harit and Karl know who this belongs to. Guess it receives the attention of Dada Swadi once in a while.
Old 10th December 2009, 09:38   #383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And to restore a Shaktiman would not cost a Daimond mine. The parts for the said vehicle can be had from the scrapyards.

And , the engine (MAN Diesel) with the M type combustion chamber was desined to run on variety of fuels .
Old 18th December 2009, 13:30   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Nice busses and again with war paint on the mudguards.
Here is a side/rear view of a BEST bus. Registered BMP, so of the early 1960's. This picture came in a big lot of photos to do with bus and truck body building. Front picture is with me. Chassis was most probably Leyland. There were also a whole lot of other buses for Maharashtra, Gujrat, Bihar etc. state transport cos. There were also a lot of interior pictures.

Cheers harit

this looks soo much better than the one we have right now!!

why dint they use this design ?

asthetically much better then boxy ones we have now
even the windows look great
Old 18th December 2009, 20:59   #385
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's what looks like an Albion mini-bus that has been on display at the entrance of one of the local RTC (road transport corpn.) bus depots here since as long as I can remember. 'took this pic. in rather a hurry today so couldn't get any more/better ones. 'will do so the next time I pass by that road.

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-img_4255.jpg

I can't identify the model year but looks like it dates to somewhere during WW2 or a little before? It still sports the erstwhile Hyderabad state regn. (the 'Z' suffix incidentally, has been in use for RTC buses even with the new series regns.) so maybe it was taken off service even before the AP state was formed in 1956 (although would've been regarded much later as a "heritage" vehicle to be put on display here?) I'm also guessing NS in the NSR-RTD would mean Nizam state, which is what Hyd. was also known as then. So bus seems to have been in a time-wrap since.
Old 24th December 2009, 20:10   #386
Distinguished - BHPian

Got this picture of Ambulances in Chennai from 1940.
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-chennai-ambulances-1940.jpg
Old 24th December 2009, 20:43   #387
Distinguished - BHPian

Now some classic commercial vehicle pictures (all Tata 1210 towing trucks) clicked in Kolkata, where I was till yesterday!
The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dsc04530.jpg
The seized (by Kolkata Police) mini bus (extreme right) with a good veneer of dust along side the Ambassador may also vouch to become a classic commercial vehicle one day.

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dsc04544.jpg

The Classic Commercial Vehicles (Bus, Trucks etc) Thread-dsc04587.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 24th December 2009 at 20:46.
Old 25th December 2009, 01:20   #388
Senior - BHPian

both of these 1210s are regular workers of the KP. these should be phased out now, they are real eye soars.
Old 25th December 2009, 01:49   #389
Senior - BHPian

We even have the nissan 1/2 ton truck used by the municipality as water tankers which are dieselised .Mayb someone there who spots one can mayb upload a pic.
Old 25th December 2009, 20:36   #390
Senior - BHPian

I quite liked these tata trucks they follow the original Merecedes Design to the hilt. So much similarity between the grills of these trucks and Mercedes passenger cars of the 50's and 60's

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks