Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2008, 13:59   #151
BHPian

Cars in the back ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Query 1... What the Hell are those Globules?? Looks like something Anatomical to me!! ....If you know what i mean!!

Query 2... Is that a 115?
....Not a 115 for sure lools like a Jap car
Old 7th December 2008, 14:07   #152
BHPian

Cars in the background

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
I can see 2 other Mercs in the pic. One the right it appears to be a W123 and on the left corner another old Merc with its bonnet half open.
The blue car in the background (right)is a 126/300 SEL, there were three other Mercs in this compound..a light green 111 fitted with a diesel engine(left corner rear of pic), a black 108, a 250S(not in pic) if I remember correctly and a black ponton 190.
Old 7th December 2008, 14:30   #153
BHPian

1960--180b/190b 180Db/190Db

Am on the lookout for a 1960 ponton diesel or petrol, the model with the shorter/wider grill as in the fintail and the thicker bumpers with no riders in the front only on the rear.Any info would be much appreciated.
On a recent trip overseas I have located a cache of original DB spares like 111/110 /108/107 body panels, unused doors, bonnets, bootlids,front and rear mudguards,bumpers. Engine spares like pistons with rings, main and connecting bearings,some cyl. heads, clutch discs with pressure plates.Windscreens,exhaust manifolds etc.
Am negotiating to buy the lot, can anyone tell me how this can be imported, these parts are all unused but old stock, is there any GOI restriction on import of old stock.Please advise.
Cheers,
SUNIL
Old 1st January 2009, 22:50   #154
BHPian

Friends 2nd owner 1961 Merc 220s.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-merc1.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-merc2.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-merc3.jpg  

Old 2nd January 2009, 10:49   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator View Post
Friends 2nd owner 1961 Merc 220s.
Neat looking car, some more attention could have been given to the interiors Id say. What is the meter on the glove box door?

This car also clears doubts about those bumper guards I suppose.
Old 2nd January 2009, 12:19   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Neat looking car, some more attention could have been given to the interiors Id say. What is the meter on the glove box door?

It looks like Clock to me.....
Don't know what make though.

Last edited by girishpv : 2nd January 2009 at 12:23.
Old 2nd January 2009, 13:41   #157
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats a very nice 220S and the color suits the car too. The interior work is in progress, right?
Old 2nd January 2009, 14:29   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Thats a very nice 220S and the color suits the car too. The interior work is in progress, right?
Unfortunately it looks like the dash restoration gone horribly wrong . it looks as if the rexine piece which has its edged hemmed has been nailed on to the dash . Even if its an incomplete job there is no need to nail the rexine cover on the dash.
Old 2nd January 2009, 15:29   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilgee View Post
Hai guys...recognise her...saved in the nick of time...here are the before pics...S A hope you dont mind my posting these pics..you deserve a big THANK YOU.
Cheers,
SG
This 190 has been advertised for sale in Bangalore in this months Auto India, described as a 1965 model in original condition.
Old 2nd January 2009, 16:40   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksudye View Post
Unfortunately it looks like the dash restoration gone horribly wrong . it looks as if the rexine piece which has its edged hemmed has been nailed on to the dash . Even if its an incomplete job there is no need to nail the rexine cover on the dash.
This is a really beautiful fintail Merc. What a bodyline. In these photos she looks excellent. And a lot of accessories too.
It is mentioned 2nd owner, who was the first? No need for name, but did this car come from Africa?
The accessories:
Clock on the glovebox lid looks like a Smith or so, these were accessories available many years ago. They still crop up in Chor Bazar.
Grill on headlights, this type were seen on rally cars, yes this model was also rallied. Ditto for the fog/spot lights, they themselves were accessories.
Bumper Torpedoes ( perhaps there is another proper name for them). These were accessories. Just look at the bumpers, they were not meant to be used, i.e. bumped into. So in places where traffic was bad, they fitted these. I have seen them on a 108 which had come from Africa.
Amp meter: This had been fitted on many cars of the 1960's, particularly American and German cars. The reason was that these cars had only the red indicating light to show if the battery was being charged. If the charge was low, there was no way to know other than being surprised when the car would not crank to start. This does not look nice but should be kept if the car is used only once in a while.
Now the dash, I was told that it was covered to preserve the dash. They get brittle and crack in sunlight. But the covering should not have been tacked. This is irreversable damage to such a fine car. The cover should have been pasted, a good seatwallah would have done it like that. But now the damage must be permanent.
Flag staff indicates that this could have been an embassy car.
Old 2nd January 2009, 21:16   #161
Senior - BHPian

wow my dream car, a black 220S always a choice for villanious sort in movies, anybody remember the 220S chasing James Bond in the movie " On her Majesty's secret service"
Old 2nd January 2009, 22:57   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This is a really beautiful fintail Merc. What a bodyline. In these photos she looks excellent. And a lot of accessories too.
It is mentioned 2nd owner, who was the first? No need for name, but did this car come from Africa?
The accessories:
Clock on the glovebox lid looks like a Smith or so, these were accessories available many years ago. They still crop up in Chor Bazar.
Grill on headlights, this type were seen on rally cars, yes this model was also rallied. Ditto for the fog/spot lights, they themselves were accessories.
Bumper Torpedoes ( perhaps there is another proper name for them). These were accessories. Just look at the bumpers, they were not meant to be used, i.e. bumped into. So in places where traffic was bad, they fitted these. I have seen them on a 108 which had come from Africa.
Amp meter: This had been fitted on many cars of the 1960's, particularly American and German cars. The reason was that these cars had only the red indicating light to show if the battery was being charged. If the charge was low, there was no way to know other than being surprised when the car would not crank to start. This does not look nice but should be kept if the car is used only once in a while.
Now the dash, I was told that it was covered to preserve the dash. They get brittle and crack in sunlight. But the covering should not have been tacked. This is irreversable damage to such a fine car. The cover should have been pasted, a good seatwallah would have done it like that. But now the damage must be permanent.
Flag staff indicates that this could have been an embassy car.
Sir!! All that you have mentioned about the car is true. I will get more details about the 1st owner from the present owner. I am not sure if the covering on the dash is tacked,will check with the owner and advise about his wrong doing, if it is tacked. It was just used as a preventive measure and I hope it is not tacked as mentioned.

The car is in pristine mechanical condition. Well preserved and used on very rare occasions.
Old 3rd January 2009, 11:01   #163
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
If you recall I had mentioned that a friend's Merc had these guards fitted too. Its this car

If I recall correctly this car came in from Africa and was imported by a Gujarati gentleman. The car presently belongs to a childhood friend whose dad was passionate about Mercs and Beetles throughout his life. This is actually their second 220. The first was a left hand drive car, I vaguely remember it had a Delhi reg.
Old 3rd January 2009, 18:38   #164
BHPian

My 1938 Merc 170V

Hi folks,
Greetings for a fantastic 2009 !
Here's a peek on my 1938 170V,undergoing restoration. The restoration is in the final stages, shall post detailed pictures shortly when the restoration is complete.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-1938-merc170v-003-r.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-1938-merc170v-010-r.jpg  

Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India-1938-merc170v-018-r.jpg  

Dussey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2009, 21:47   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
If you recall I had mentioned that a friend's Merc had these guards fitted too. Its this car

If I recall correctly this car came in from Africa and was imported by a Gujarati gentleman. The car presently belongs to a childhood friend whose dad was passionate about Mercs and Beetles throughout his life. This is actually their second 220. The first was a left hand drive car, I vaguely remember it had a Delhi reg.
DKG : This is purely OT. The owner of the above mentioned car, passed away on 1st Jan 2009.
Deviating and being OT again, DKG it was just fantastic meeting you again and seeing your cars.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks